• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Nintendo revealed a new game

It looks like Dreams fused with WarioWare DIY

The Nodon would be cool spirits.
This looks pretty cool, honestly.

...How long until the support threads start up? :4pacman:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To piggyback on this, I believe that Morrigan's "gimmick" would probably play into the EX Meter that Darkstalkers helped standardize. Some mechanic where her special attacks could be enhanced in a similar but more lenient fashion to Cloud's Limit Break specials feels fitting and would give her a flair all her own up against the other fighting game boys.

She'd definitely be a lot more aerial centric as well, potentially having a slight air dash in the form of her little jet booster which could make for some very interesting mixups. It's kinda crazy to me that we don't have a Smash character who can properly air dash yet, even though we've already touched well upon unique aerial properties (since Melee!).
This is how Sol Badguy wins. :4pacman:

Seriously, I'm also surprised at this, to be honest. Morrigan would be really cool, she was really fun in MvC3, one of the characters I regularly used there.

X also has an air dash, now that I think about it (well, only in Mega Man X3). Zero as well, in fact I think he has it in each game where he is playable.

X also has an air dash, now that I think about it (well, only in Mega Man X3). Zero as well, in fact I think he has it in each game where he is playable.
I don't think Zero has one in the Zero games, unless I'm remembering wrong. He does keep his momentum if he jumps mid-dash, though.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I don't think its that outrageous to suggest that Capcom would bring in a particular Street Fighter character from the early 90s that let's be honest, we've all been wanting to see in Smash:

capcom will never acknowledge a street fighter game lore that goes past Y2K

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There are literally hundreds of characters I would be excited to see get into Smash but I’ll try to narrow it down to a top 20 list and limiting it to one character per series:

1) Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
2) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
3) Magus (Chrono Trigger)
4) Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)
5) Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
6) Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
7) Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts)
8) Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
9) Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
10) Diablo (Diablo)
11) Medusa (Kid Icarus)
12) Pharaoh Man (Mega Man)
13) Goombella (Paper Mario)
14) Gengar (Pokémon)
15) H’aanit (Octopath Traveller)
16) Jena Anderson (Astral Chain)
17) Impa (Legend of Zelda - OG HW)
18) Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
19) Raziel (Soul Reaver)
20) Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)

That was a lot harder to narrow down than I was hoping and I still had to leave out a lot of my favorites like Nightmare, Etna, Elma, Nel Zelpher, Death, Lulu, and a ton of others but this is what I ended up with.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Maybe I'm a bit disillusioned about what the problem would be with getting Chun-Li because I'm always a little annoyed when the conversation comes up about whether or not Chun-Li should make it in over Dante / Phoenix / whoever else from Capcom. I get it, putting all your eggs in one basket isn't ideal especially when Capcom has so much to offer, but I guess on my end it's like... the Street Fighter I love still is not represented in Smash.

SFII is cool, it's an iconic game that defined a genre. Obviously it's the bread and butter of the series and everything that has followed suit has followed its example. But with Smash treating SFII as the only game in the series, there is so much left to explore that leaves me feeling empty. And especially after Terry came with KOF Stadium, it really really sucks that none of SF's amazing characters have the opportunity to appear beyond Guile's AT. SF's content is deceiving in that despite having a good amount of content on the surface, the distribution of that content is IMO very poor and dismissive toward Street Fighter's entire legacy. There's hardly anything here that shows people like... why Street Fighter is cool, yknow?

Also... regardless of how you feel about those other Capcom characters, Chun-Li is really in a league of her own. I find it difficult to be too upset over giving SF its third character (on technicality - obviously Ken is an echo fighter, although he's a damn good one) when said character is one of the most popular and influential video game characters of all time. Chun-Li's presence in and of itself would be a crossover milestone for Smash.

Prior to Sephiroth I think you'd have a lot of people suggesting that if we got another FF character it shouldn't be from FF7, right? Granted, Sephiroth provided content from FF7 that wasn't there from the start, but you get the jist here. In my eyes the worth of the character themselves is enough to transcend whether or not the game they came from is well enough off. Sephiroth was enough and I think Chun-Li would be too. But of course if you don't want her in the game then that's fine - although I'd really like to see people judge her more on her merit as a character and less from her merit quantified by whether or not Street Fighter needs a "third rep".

But that's just me I suppose, and I'm definitely biased. And at one point I would have been disappointed to get another Sonic character over something new from Sega, but admittedly I've gotten over that and saw the potential in expanding on Sonic as well so... I urge you all to do the same, lmao. Or not, that's fine.
I think the issue is mainly that SF already got a second rep. While Ken is an echo, it for some people tickled their Street Fighter itch. Street Fighter has been treated well in Smash, but I could easily see people get mad if it got more. Capcom has so much stuff to pull from, pulling from Street Fighter again would be disappointing even if Chun Li arguably deserved the spot. Heck, it’s why I was one of the only people on here supporting Sephiroth: most people were against it because more FF content meant it was less likely to get Geno or Crono for instance.

Then again I doubt we will get any Capcom characters at this point so...
I really don't like the comparison of Crash's support to that of Banjo, one of which has only just gotten started to the extent it's at now and the other which has been a strong and vocal movement for twenty years. Like, Crash would certainly be a crowd pleaser but he is not the same kind of crowd pleaser.

I see a lot of people treating Crash like he's been a longtime request that people have been rallying behind for ages (a la Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo) and, while it doesn't disqualify his merit in a vacuum or the popularity he's gained over the last three years, Crash is not that. So I kind of take issue to him being the "Banjo-Kazooie" of the pass for a reason I can only assume is the similar aesthetics and genre that they share.

I feel like in a lot of ways Ultimate has people feeling like these big requests are just gonna get fast-tracked to playing out when unfortunately, more often than not, it's gonna take a while to send that message. Again, twenty years for Banjo and three for Crash.
I think it’s less of that he has the same fan demand and moreso he appeals to the same people who would be happy we got Banjo.

No one should claim that Crash has been a long time fan request.I have been pushing Crash since smash4 and his demand did not rise until the N Sane Trilogy was announced. He just does not have the same legacy of being requested for Smash as Banjo. But as a passive observation, Crash gained a lot of support after Banjo. He went from a solid top ten choice in Source Gamings 2019 poll to the top choice in 2020, topping even Geno. That’s one poll, but the trend shows that Crash gained a lot of support after Banjo. I think there are two reasons for this. First, having another Western character meant that the door was opened. Secondly, Banjo supporters wanted Banjo first. This is purely a personal observation but I have seen many old Banjo supporters migrate specifically to Crash, there was a sizable overlap. It also doesn’t help that Crash’s games being in the switch helped grow his fan base a lot. Crash had such a boon of support from 2018-2019.

I think Crash would be a crowd pleaser at the end of the day, just not in the same way. Banjo is one of those old requests for smash that had a ton of support. Really, the only ones left like that are Geno and Isaac. Waluigi kind of fits here too but his support is not nearly as long running as those but it’s the same kind of niche. Crash I think would be a crowd pleaser in the simpler way of Crash just being a very popular choice. He tops fan polls, and most people at the bare minimum are ok with him being in smash at least in theory. While Crash does not fit into the hierarchy of never ever picks like Banjo, 99% of smash picks don’t fit there. Honestly, the only picks that really fit there in terms of massive support amongst the fan base were Ridley, K Rool, Banjo, and Mega Man in Smash 4. Maybe Little Mac if you stretched it very hard. But those 4, Isaac, Geno, and maybe Waluigi are really the only characters imo that are compatible in that way.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah I’m going to be completely honest, even as a Street Fighter fan, Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting to me. Not arguing she’s not iconic or if she deserves to make it in eventually but at this point, after Ken was our only new Capcom character this whole game, I’m not going to be excited for any Street Fighter character.

Capcom has WAY too much to work with to relegate their 4th character to a property not only already represented in game twice, but also from a series that already got a character this game. You can argue that Ken is an Echo so it doesn’t count but Ken is an Echo in name only. He’s easily one of the most unique clones in the whole game, up there with the likes of Roy, Wolf, and Lucas.

Ametarasu? Gimme. Phoenix Wright? Let’s go. Morrigan? Incredible. Dante? Sick. Strider? Oh God please! Chun-Li would just leave me very underwhelmed, especially considering the incredible line-up of Capcom franchises. I have the same feeling for a Sonic character or even two of my favorite franchises, Metal Gear and Castlevania, I would still much rather see Bomberman or Bill & Lance. I dunno. Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting for me.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah I’m going to be completely honest, even as a Street Fighter fan, Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting to me. Not arguing she’s not iconic or if she deserves to make it in eventually but at this point, after Ken was our only new Capcom character this whole game, I’m not going to be excited for any Street Fighter character.

Capcom has WAY too much to work with to relegate their 4th character to a property not only already represented in game twice, but also from a series that already got a character this game. You can argue that Ken is an Echo so it doesn’t count but Ken is an Echo in name only. He’s easily one of the most unique clones in the whole game, up there with the likes of Roy, Wolf, and Lucas.

Ametarasu? Gimme. Phoenix Wright? Let’s go. Morrigan? Incredible. Dante? Sick. Strider? Oh God please! Chun-Li would just leave me very underwhelmed, especially considering the incredible line-up of Capcom franchises. I have the same feeling for a Sonic character or even two of my favorite franchises, Metal Gear and Castlevania, I would still much rather see Bomberman or Bill & Lance. I dunno. Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting for me.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. I like Chun-Li enough but she was never one of my favorite Street Fighter characters. I’ve always been a fan of Guile and Vega. Although she has definitely risen due to being voiced by Laura Bailey, who is one of my favorite actresses. I would love to see Guile, Vega, Zero, Pharaoh Man, Bass, or Nemesis for a Capcom character but I’m fine with anyone.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game. That's why I give fighting game characters, especially those playable in popular or good fighting games, lower priority when making rosters.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
See, Capcom had a popularity poll, and Chun-Li was in 6th place. Who was Number 1? Sakura. I know popularity doesn't mean much, but in the words of Thorgi's Arcade, it does mean SOMETHING. Hey, on that same poll, Makoto got SECOND PLACE and she's been in only THREE STREET FIGHTER GAMES.
That poll is from 2017, meaning even base game Ultimate could've benefited from it if Capcom wanted to but instead, they added Ken, who was 15th on that pool.

This matters because Sakura is also a Shotoclone and actively tries to emulate Ryu because she's a fan. This means she could work as an Echo Fighter on the same level as Ken where it's debatable whether the character is a full clone or a semi-clone.

If Capcom really cared about popularity, we wouldn't be talking about Sakura because Capcom would've already made her take Ken's spot in the base game :smirk:

Alright, The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn and [IMG alt="Hydreigonfan01"]https://smashboards.com/data/avatars/s/404/404226.jpg?1614295878[/IMG] Hydreigonfan01 ... allow me to explain why I put Lilith before Morrigan. From my honest to god point of view, I honestly think that Capcom should give Morrigan a rest when it comes to Darkstalkers. Because, not only has Morrigan been the Darkstalkers representative in crossover fighting game Capcom has ever made, she's been the Darkstalkers representative in EVERYTHING.
Probably has something to do with her being one of the main characters.

In fact, Morrigan wasn't even meant to be one of the main characters, Demitri was supposed to be the only main protagonist. However, she ended up being so popular to the Darkstalkers playerbase that she became one of the main characters after the first game.

So Morrigan is an example of someone getting more exposue due to popularity but you don't want her, yet you also want Sakura because of a popularity poll.

Double standard much?

The ONLY crossover that never had Morrigan involved even though it had a Darkstalkers character in it (that being Demitri Maximoff) was 2003's SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos, which took place before The King of Fighters 2003 and Mega Man Zero 2 respectively. While SVC Chaos wasn't the greatest game in the world, SNK made a point across very clearly: Capcom should REALLY give Morrigan a break and give other Darkstalkers representatives a chance to shine in crossover fighting games, because if you put any Darkstalkers character in a fighting game and add Morrigan in there, Ms. "I Show Up In Everything Related To Darkstalkers" (that being Morrigan) always steals the spotlight from every other Darkstalkers character.
Capcom also made a crossover without Morrigan. Ever heard of Capcom Fighting Evolution?

Don't worry if you didn't; it was so bad Capcom basically quit the fighting game business entirely until Ono decided to just throw a hail mary and suggest to make Street Fighter IV.

It's also why Street Fighter is the only fighting IP they care about today; they actually abandoned all the other ones. Ironic since that crossover that made them quit was like, 60% Street Fighter.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game. That's why I give fighting game characters, especially those playable in popular or good fighting games, lower priority when making rosters.
I have no problems with more fighting game characters but I do think it would be more exciting to spread out the representation. We can have Ryu or Ken vs Chun-Li in Street Fighter but this might be our only chance to have a dream match of Ryu vs Scorpion or Fulgore vs Nightmare. I think there is a lot of excitement in that scenario.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Apparently you can throw away the hammer after picking it up?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Don’t give me hope that Amaterasu will ever make it in. Please, I love Okami and Okamiden too much to suffer even more hoping we get a revival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom