• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Speaking of crossovers I didn't expect to see today

I can't believe they redesigned Ryu as a Power Ranger and everything lmao
This is actually the Second time these designs have appeared, They added them first in a Power Rangers Mobile game alongside M. Bison, Cammy, Akuma and Guile. But Ryu and Chun-li are the only ones with Ranger Designs.

They even made a Live-action Short Film about them

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Hi I’m technically on break but I wanted to share this:

If I’m not mistaken, directs usually follow Indie Worlds the week after right???
Me when Silksong inevitably doesn't show up in this presentation either.

Another one for the crossover list, unless it's already happened which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Don't Banjo & Kazooie and Duckhunt Dog both count as Riders? Banjo (and the Dog) are the primary fighters and modes of transportation while Kazooie (and Duck) are riding on them in some way (Kazooie in a backpack and the Duck on the Dog's back). They're basically just used for Specials or Smash attacks, but its mostly the 'ride' that does everything else.
Ah, that's a great and smart point you made.
Somewhat minor nitpick: Both Kazooie and the Duck are a lot more involved in the normals too - for example both B-Airs:

That's not to say that Banjo / the Dog aren't involved in the normals - they absolutely are, such as B-K's F-Air and DH's D-Air.

That gives me an idea for a fun topic: Rider characters.

"Rider characters" refers to characters who mainly fight while riding a mount, whether it be an animal or a machine (and no, I don't count Wario because he doesn't regularly ride his bike). We got Bowser Jr. in his clown car, so what other rider characters would make great additions to the roster? Here are my ideas.
Don'tForget:ultwario:'sBike.png.

"Rider characters" are absolutely an interesting concept. While there are some aspects of Bowser Jr. I'm kinda iffy about, that's more of an execution issue than an idea issue really.

As far as not already mentioned rider characters, FF6's Terra could technically do it with the Magitek armor (although IMO that shouldn't be her whole thing, she's on foot for most of the game). FF13's Eidolons could be rather interesting (such as Lightning using Odin) but I'm not counting on it due to how FF13 in general went down.

I'm most in favor of someone like Mach Rider, if only because it looks like (s)he could be very interesting to play as. Shame (s)he has not made it so far, but that happens.

If I’m not mistaken, directs usually follow Indie Worlds the week after right???
I'm actually interested no matter what happens, honestly. Usually Directs tend to follow close by, but it ain't a sure-fire thing IIRC.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

"Rider characters" refers to characters who mainly fight while riding a mount, whether it be an animal or a machine (and no, I don't count Wario because he doesn't regularly ride his bike). We got Bowser Jr. in his clown car, so what other rider characters would make great additions to the roster? Here are my ideas.

Animal Riders:
Midna riding Wolf Link
Link riding Epona
A Riekling (from Skyrim) riding a Bristleback boar (also from Skyrim)
A rider character from Fire Emblem (do we have any Lords/protagonists who are normally riders?)
An Intern Shroob riding on a Shroobsworth from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (okay, so Shroobsworths aren't animals; they're sentient beings like humans are, as well as fungi)
Kart Mario
A baby Kangaskhan riding her mommy Kangaskhan
Slime Knight from Dragon Quest (though does its Slime mount count as an animal, or is it actually a multi-celled amoeba?)

Machine Riders:
Eggman piloting the Eggwalker (maybe with Big the Cat piloting the Eggwalker as an alternate costume)
Tails being a "transformation" character who can switch between on-foot and piloting the Cyclone from Sonic Adventure 2 (with the latter even transforming into a plane and/or car for certain moves)
Dr. Wily piloting the Wily Capsule
Mechanica from ARMS
Cait Sith from Final Fantasy 7
Orson piloting Toc-Man from Pac-Man World 1 and 3

There's another rider character that I came up with, but since his mount is too big (and his position on his mount can only be done on a mount with that specific size and shape), he'd probably work better as a boss. The rider I'm talking about: Ashnard riding Rajaion
Animal Rider
Poochy & Stork

Machine Rider
Keeby with the Robobot Armour

Technomage

Smash Champion
Do y'all think this means absolutely nothing:

Because I'm thinking it probably means absolutely nothing. Nice of Nintendo to respond to them though...
We actually went over that a couple of days ago.

Still, I'd be interested in Rayman getting into the roster; I'd probably make him one of my casual mains, too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still, I'd be interested in Rayman getting into the roster; I'd probably make him one of my casual mains, too.
One of the most believed fakes from the last game's speculation was a Rayman render. With all the support it had garnered plus the fact that there was a Rayman Trophy in Smash already (not assist trophy; just a trophy trophy) you'd think Ubisoft would have already been approached for him.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Lol I can't keep up with y'all! I'd love to see Rayman personally, but I just don't see him as very likely given all the Ubisoft content we already have. We'll see...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mentioned Meowth as a potential Pokémon rider character but somehow forgot about Calyrex until just now. That would also be pretty interesting and it is still relevant coming from the latest DLC.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I mentioned Meowth as a potential Pokémon rider character but somehow forgot about Calyrex until just now. That would also be pretty interesting and it is still relevant coming from the latest DLC.
Yeah, and that'd also be a great pick for Gen 8's "loose-ends" character.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Since we’re talking about Kingdom Hearts, how would everyone feel if in the extremely unlikely event that we got a double reveal of Sora and either Ansem or Xemnas at E3? I would honestly much rather have them than Sora but they wouldn’t really make any sense to add without him. I don’t think there’s really much if any chance of that happening but I would love it if it did. Maybe Ansem or Xemnas could be the bonus character some are speculating on so we could still get another character if people don’t care for Kingdom Hearts.
Weird choices for a second KH character even but I wouldn't mind

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wouldn't expect another direct before e3. We're only 2 months away from it so it's not a really long time. My guess is that we're going to see some trailer of the upcoming release of the first half of 2021 (Pokémon snap soon, Famicom detective club and Miitopia in May and Mario golf in June). Then e3 will come and they could show the game coming for the second half of 2021.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Weird choices for a second KH character even but I wouldn't mind
Well we did get Sephiroth before a secondary protagonist like Tifa so I think it’s not totally out of the question. What I would love, even if it doesn’t really make sense in universe, is a transform style character that swaps between Ansem, Xemnas, and Xehanort. Since they all exist separately at the same time, it probably makes more sense to tag out than actually transform.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
It’s worth noting even prior to the pandemic that we’ve had Indie Directs that weren’t immediately followed by general ones, so I think nothing major till E3 still feels likely.
But since we're getting an indie direct soon, would it still fit for the direct to introduce an indie character for Smash?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A rider character from Fire Emblem (do we have any Lords/protagonists who are normally riders?)
As far as lords go, Sigurd is mounted from the start, and Seliph, Leif, Eliwood, Eirika, Ephraim, and Claude all promote into mounted fighters (all horses with the exception of Claude, who rides a Wyvern).

As for other major characters, there's also Caeda and Elincia who both fly on pegasusback, and Xander for another horse rider.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
But since that is an indie direct, would it still fit for the direct to introduce an indie character for Smash?
The only time Smash has ever appeared in a Indie Direct was because the 2018 one that introduced a Indie Channel to the news part of the Switch had the August 2018 Direct news in the background.

Smash would likely overshadow everything else in the Indie World.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

So as mentioned in a post, these were originally made for the mobile game along with a really awesome short film that to me showed the potential of a good Street Fighter live action movie...

It's awesome to see them as DLC in the actual console fighting game. Battle For The Grid is one of the most underrated fighters out there and I really hope this helps propel it back in the spotlight. It helps Ryu and Chun's Ranger forms are so badass. Them being added to the console version was a dream pick for me so I'm pleased.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But since that is an indie direct, would it still fit for the direct to introduce an indie character for Smash?
I've considered the possibility (Partially because one of my most-wanteds is an indie), but I wouldn't say it's necessarily likely. The Indie Worlds are meant to give the smaller indie games a chance without getting buried by the exclusives and triple-A games. An indie fighter reveal would support an indie game/company, yes, but it would also heavily overshadow the rest of the presentation. As such, I'm not counting on it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
But since we're getting an indie direct soon, would it still fit for the direct to introduce an indie character for Smash?
Most likely not, they prefer to reveal characters in General directs or Smash directs and the Indie Directs are neither. Additionally, as said before, Smash would overshadow any Indie games that appealed in them so marketing-wise it would be a poor move to throw a Smash character in there.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Smash would likely overshadow everything else in the Indie World.
The Indie Worlds are meant to give the smaller indie games a chance without getting buried by the exclusives and triple-A games. An indie fighter reveal would support an indie game/company, yes, but it would also heavily overshadow the rest of the presentation. As such, I'm not counting on it.
I see both of your points there, though would a Smash reveal there be worth giving the other indies the shaft? Nevermind, I'm starting to doubt it being worthwhile.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've considered the possibility (Partially because one of my most-wanteds is an indie), but I wouldn't say it's necessarily likely. The Indie Worlds are meant to give the smaller indie games a chance without getting buried by the exclusives and triple-A games. An indie fighter reveal would support an indie game/company, yes, but it would also heavily overshadow the rest of the presentation. As such, I'm not counting on it.
That's the best reasoning of something I've read all day.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Quick, everybody start talking about Indie characters in Smash.

Um... does Friday Night Funkin count?

Faso115

Smash Lord

Possibly the closest to a MVC type game Ryu and Chun-Li get to be a part of.

Now its super weird how Ryu and Chun are bundled together to show up as guest fighters in everything except in smash. We do have two slots available, i wouldn't mind Chun showing up just for consistency lol

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t know a whole lot of indie games but I guess I’d go with Yooka Laylee if Playtonic counts as an indie company. They also count as a rider character just to tie the two discussions together. If not, there are a few Nexomon that have really cool designs that could make for fun Smash characters.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

While I don't know if an indie character is particularly likely for Smash (the way I see it, if Shovel Knight, Sans, and presumably Shantae couldn't make it in as playable characters, then I don't think that adding indie characters is a priority for the developers), I'd like to see Quote from Cave Story or Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night make it in. (or, at the very least, for them to make it into something like Fraymakers)

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

My most wanted indie is Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer. She could mix rhythm elements (timing based attacks) and rogue lite elements (rng weapons and items?). Both genre are unrepresented for now so it would be an awesome opportunity for an original moveset. And it's obvious that Nintendo like the characters because they even did a crossover with her and Zelda. Unfortunately, with all others big indie characters getting only a Mii costume, spirits or Assist trophy I don't think she's that likely, but maybe she will get a mii costume too in one of the last 2 wave. Maybe they can add a music with her if she's coming.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ah, great idea for a topic! I'd really love to see Freddy Fazbear as the indie rep.

Oh, and yes, Friday Night Funkin' does qualify.
Freddy is one of those characters where I would be more impressed than mad if he made it in and they made him work.

Also, since FNF counts, A) I am legally obligated to share this:

And B) has anybody here heard anything about the devs of that game launching a Kickstarter for a full version? I saw it mentioned on the game's Wikipedia article, and there was even a source, but like... that was the first time I heard about it.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Animal Riders:
Midna riding Wolf Link
Link riding Epona
A Riekling (from Skyrim) riding a Bristleback boar (also from Skyrim)
An Intern Shroob riding on a Shroobsworth from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (okay, so Shroobsworths aren't animals; they're sentient beings like humans are, as well as fungi)
Kart Mario
A baby Kangaskhan riding her mommy Kangaskhan
Slime Knight from Dragon Quest (though does its Slime mount count as an animal, or is it actually a multi-celled amoeba?)

Machine Riders:
Eggman piloting the Eggwalker (maybe with Big the Cat piloting the Eggwalker as an alternate costume)
Tails being a "transformation" character who can switch between on-foot and piloting the Cyclone from Sonic Adventure 2 (with the latter even transforming into a plane and/or car for certain moves)
Dr. Wily piloting the Wily Capsule
Mechanica from ARMS
Cait Sith from Final Fantasy 7
Orson piloting Toc-Man from Pac-Man World 1 and 3

There's another rider character that I came up with, but since his mount is too big (and his position on his mount can only be done on a mount with that specific size and shape), he'd probably work better as a boss. The rider I'm talking about: Ashnard riding Rajaion
Don't forget Sigurd, objectively the best mounted unit in the series

He would be top tier according to his stats in Fire Emblem 4, even his recovery should be good. He would be weak against fire, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom