• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't wanna be one of those people, but I'm worried for Level-5's future. They don't seem to have any real finances at the moment, at least nothing I'm aware of...
they have megaton musashi coming out this year, at this point they're japan exclusive so they have lost out on lot of sales, and also every franchise they own is pretty dead so it's a really bad position to be in right now.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Just waiting for Lara Croft to become a frontrunner in speculation until she's shot down as a part of a Tomb Raider spirit event that's accompanied by Crono being Fighter Pass 10 which will be released in late May 2021.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
they have megaton musashi coming out this year, at this point they're japan exclusive so they have lost out on lot of sales, and also every franchise they own is pretty dead so it's a really bad position to be in right now.
Sounds like one of those instances where getting bought out by another company would actually be beneficial. Problem is, I can't think of anybody who would be willing to buy. Nintendo is still reluctant to go all in on that sort of thing (they only bought Next Level Games because they HAD to). I hear they've collabed with Square Enix, but I don't know the full details on their relationship.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Level 5 shuts down completely as they're in a bad financial situation and they're just a shell of their former self.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just waiting for Lara Croft to become a frontrunner in speculation until she's shot down as a part of a Tomb Raider spirit event that's accompanied by Crono being Fighter Pass 10 which will be released in late May 2021.
Unfortunately, that won't happen because she was already shot down by Sephiroth in the eyes of many. She can't be a frontrunner in speculation until the next game.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
So if Level-5 goes under and isn't bought by anyone, what happens to their IPs, exactly? Are they stuck in limbo with no owner so nobody can make a Layton game ever again? Does their owner not existing mean that anybody can make a Layton game? How does this work, exactly?

Technomage

Smash Champion
So if Level-5 goes under and isn't bought by anyone, what happens to their IPs, exactly? Are they stuck in limbo with no owner so nobody can make a Layton game ever again? Does their owner not existing mean that anybody can make a Layton game? How does this work, exactly?
Well, if they were to go into limbo with no one able to use those games, it'd only be temporary due to it eventually becoming public domain.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So if Level-5 goes under and isn't bought by anyone, what happens to their IPs, exactly? Are they stuck in limbo with no owner so nobody can make a Layton game ever again?
Assuming this scenario, it wouldn't be ever again, just for 70 years after the last time it was renewed or something. After that, it becomes public domain.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Well, if they were to go into limbo with no one able to use those games, it'd only be temporary due to it eventually becoming public domain.
Assuming this scenario, it wouldn't be ever again, just for 70 years after the last time it was renewed or something. After that, it becomes public domain.
Yeah, in like... 2087 minimum. That's not much better.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nah, lots of people in the DB fandom at least like ASPECTS of GT including Baby. I don't know why you consider yourself a spokesperson for everyone.
Because I was actually IN that community when GT was new. And almost everyone hated it.

So unless it was WAY better received in Japan than it was here, all of this "Nah, but, people like GT" is revisionist bull**** by people that were, like, 5 when it came out.

Except GT characters were meant specifically AS fanservice for the people that did like GT.
Which wasn't necessary. But even if we pretend it was, there are GT characters that aren't Goku and Vegeta! But did we get any of THOSE? No. Your 3 GT reps are a Goku, a Vegeta, and a goddamn Goku/Vegeta!

Conversely, just because they're all different children, I wouldn't exactly consider Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings to be 8 different characters. That'd be stupid and unreasonable wouldn't it?
No, because that once again shows that a character is nothing more than a moveset to you. And I consider that to be stupid and unreasonable.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Are any of the IPs co-owned? I don't know how publishing rights work, but I know Nintendo and Bandai Namco helped with that before Level-5 started doing it themselves.

Technomage

Smash Champion

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, in like... 2087 minimum. That's not much better.
No. But that doesn't mean it couldn't revive at some point. Realistically though, I'd imagine someone would keep the rights, but not have the resources to do anything with them. If someone wishes, they could probably still buy them or collaborate with the rights holders.

SKX31

Smash Master
Everything's a Persona reference these days...
So Persona is the new JoJo's?

...Do I want to know what happens when Persona gets their version of the Pillar Men?

Sounds like one of those instances where getting bought out by another company would actually be beneficial. Problem is, I can't think of anybody who would be willing to buy. Nintendo is still reluctant to go all in on that sort of thing (they only bought Next Level Games because they HAD to). I hear they've collabed with Square Enix, but I don't know the full details on their relationship.
I can think of a couple, but there are caveats:

• Sega sounds like a decent candidate, although they'd probably want Level 5 to restart operations more or less. I'm basing this assumption from the fact that Sega's subsidiaries like ATLUS and Creative Assemblies usually work at a decent rate.
  • Sony... maybe? I could see them at least being interested since Level 5 have games with a lot of international appeal. Console exclusivity might be an issue though.
  • Nintendo is a weird case, since on one hand they've been buying up companies like NLG, OTOH they've been letting devs like AlphaDream lapse it seems. Nintendo could like Sony offer quite a bit of stability, but likewise, console exclusivity may be an issue.
  • Tencent is another potential suitor, especially since they've been buying minority shares in a few Japanese corps recently (incl. Marvelous and Platinum). They're very hands off (and that's why a lot of smaller corps have accepted investments from them), but Tencent will also want assurance that Level 5 can at least okay mobile games.

Depends on if individual creators retain some rights (like S-E does) or if the corporation have most of the rights and creators work as contractors (Nintendo) or what have you. It's extremely difficult to tell what would happen if Level 5 goes into limbo, but...

No. But that doesn't mean it couldn't revive at some point. Realistically though, I'd imagine someone would keep the rights, but not have the resources to do anything with them. If someone wishes, they could probably still buy them or collaborate with the rights holders.
...Yeah, that's true. I kinda doubt that IP like Layton would lay fallow until 2087 or later, when we're all presumably cyborgs or whatever. (:4pacman: )

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Happy Birthday FF6!

So glad someone from FF6 is getting in as a Goofy alt.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Are any of the IPs co-owned? I don't know how publishing rights work, but I know Nintendo and Bandai Namco helped with that before Level-5 started doing it themselves.
I don't think any of their IPs are co-owned. They are either owned by Level-5 or by their publisher, like Dragon Quest 8 and 9 are owned by Square Enix, and Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles and Rogue Galaxy are owned by Sony IIRC. But that being said, they did get alot of help publishing their own games outside of Japan.
  • Nintendo helped with publishing Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life, Yo-Kai Watch 1-3 and Little Battlers eXperience on the 3DS, as well as Dragon Quest 9 outside of Japan.
  • Bandai Namco helped with Ni no Kuni and Ni no Kuni II.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can someone tell me what this stupid bird looking thing is on Omega Skyloft? I just noticed it and I can’t stop thinking about it. It looks like they took the goddess statue and put a bird face on it and it’s creeping me out idk enough about Zelda to know what it is. Is it supposed to be a Loftwing goddess? I’m so confused.
655C07DF-77E2-4669-9FFD-39F4B5DC7CC5.jpeg

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't think any of their IPs are co-owned. They are either owned by Level-5 or by their publisher, like Dragon Quest 8 and 9 are owned by Square Enix, and Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles and Rogue Galaxy are owned by Sony IIRC. But that being said, they did get alot of help publishing their own games outside of Japan. Nintendo helped with publishing Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life, Yo-Kai Watch 1-3 and Little Battlers eXperience on the 3DS and Bandai Namco helped with Ni no Kuni and Ni no Kuni II.
But those are only outside Japan, right? In those cases, I guess the question would be are they willing to take it a step further...

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Nintendo has close ties to layton and yokai, bamco has cloes ties to yokai and ni no kuni. neither has bought them yet so i don't think they'll be bought out by them

hey there's always microsoft as an option.

Level-5 were the ones who did Dragon Quest 8 and 9 for Square Enix, and both were received incredibly well. And supposedly, someone mentioned that Level-5 was trying to talk with Square about doing another Dragon Quest.
yeah, i think half of their teams's job's are sending people to beg yuji hori to make a dragon quest 9 remake.

it would save the company.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Nintendo has close ties to layton and yokai, bamco has cloes ties to yokai and ni no kuni. neither has bought them yet so i don't think they'll be bought out by them

hey there's always microsoft as an option.

yeah, i think half of their teams's job's are sending people to beg yuji hori to make a dragon quest 9 remake.
Didn't Microsoft say it was looking into possibly acquiring a Japanese developer?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Can someone tell me what this stupid bird looking thing is on Omega Skyloft? I just noticed it and I can’t stop thinking about it. It looks like they took the goddess statue and put a bird face on it and it’s creeping me out idk enough about Zelda to know what it is. Is it supposed to be a Loftwing goddess? I’m so confused.
View attachment 309683
Probably a Loftwing.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Didn't Microsoft say it was looking into possibly acquiring a Japanese developer?
level-5 would bean okay option, the main thing they have issues with is all the talent leaving , and being to small scale to make big games anynore, as well as now only making japan exclusiv games as well as having very little budget, microsfot could theoretically solve all of this.

Level 5 bought the team behind mighty number 9 btw..... WHYYYYYYYYY!!?!??!?!??!??!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Happy Birthday FF6!

Great. 27 years since my life peaked...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
level-5 would bean okay option, the main thing they have issues with is all the talent leaving , and being to small scale to make big games anynore, as well as now only making japan exclusiv games as well as having very little budget, microsfot could theoretically solve all of this.

Level 5 bought the team behind mighty number 9 btw..... WHYYYYYYYYY!!?!??!?!??!??!
In hindsight, that wasn't a very good decision, was it?
Smash 6 speculation is gonna be wild. Steve, Banjo, Dragonborn, Master Chief, Ori, Clippy, Professor Layton, Conker, and god knows who else will all be fighting for the Microsoft slot, which we might not even have.
And that's without taking into account any other acquisitions between now and then...

Ivander

Smash Legend
Smash 6 speculation is gonna be wild. Steve, Banjo, Dragonborn, Master Chief, Ori, Clippy, Professor Layton, Conker, and god knows who else will all be fighting for the Microsoft slot, which we might not even have.
I'm pretty sure the main question that speculation will focus on for the majority is, "Is everybody here?"

But yeah, with how buddy-buddy Nintendo and Microsoft have been lately and with Microsoft having Cuphead, Bethesda and possibly another company, Microsoft speculation for the next Smash will be pretty commonplace.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Back to Smash 6 speculation again, are we? I'm okay with discussing that again, since I do gotta ask: SHOULD everybody be here?

It could be difficult to get every vet a returning spot, not only in licensing, but also development time. Plus, there could still be plenty of people who'd get tired of the same old stuff. Thus, I think it might be best if Smash 6 were to reboot, providing both a smaller and more unique roster and different gameplay mechanics, while creating an Ultimate Deluxe, which would be Ultimate with a chunk of new content, alongside Smash 6.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Back to Smash 6 speculation again, are we? I'm okay with discussing that again, since I do gotta ask: SHOULD everybody be here?

It could be difficult to get every vet a returning spot, not only in licensing, but also development time. Plus, there could still be plenty of people who'd get tired of the same old stuff. Thus, I think it might be best if Smash 6 were to reboot, providing both a smaller and more unique roster and different gameplay mechanics, while creating an Ultimate Deluxe, which would be Ultimate with a chunk of new content, alongside Smash 6.
Ideally? Absolutely. I'd love to be able to continue to play all of my favorites.

Practically? No. Not at launch at least. Keeping it up would severely hurt the quality of the series.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Can you really do both at the same time? We do know split development of For 3DS and For Wii U was very taxing. I don’t think they’d ever want to try split development again

Technomage

Smash Champion
Can you really do both at the same time? We do know split development of For 3DS and For Wii U was very taxing. I don’t think they’d ever want to try split development again
Ah, I totally forgot about that; yeah maybe we should NOT do that again, since it ultimately (no pun intended) lowered Smash 4's quality.

Though what if Nintendo were to have a different dev for either Smash 6 or Ultimate Deluxe (as in not have Sakurai work on both)?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd honestly prefer a smaller game with an emphasis on newcomers over an Ultimate Deluxe. If we keep porting Ultimate over and over again it'll just become stale. I want more new characters rather than a bunch of old ones with only a couple fresh faces here and there.

Also, if we go all-in on the newcomers we can just do a full roster reboot and finally put a stop to the mind-cripplingly boring cut discussions. That's one thing we never have to worry about again :4pacman:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Also, if we go all-in on the newcomers we can just do a full roster reboot and finally put a stop to the mind-cripplingly boring cut discussions. That's one thing we never have to worry about again :4pacman:
I know you're joking about that, but it'd still be a good idea, especially if we were to make Smash 6 with a roster completely consisting of OCs made specifically for it rather than Gaming All-Stars.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know you're joking about that, but it'd still be a good idea, especially if we were to make Smash 6 with a roster completely consisting of OCs made specifically for it rather than Gaming All-Stars.
I'm... Not really sure how well that'd work out. Smash's big selling point is the gaming all-stars, so if we strip that away I feel like a large portion of people would just abandon it in favor of stuff like Fraymakers or Rivals of Aether. Take away the all-stars, and it's just another platform fighter. Unless, of course, we shake up the formula a little, but at that point it's just a different game entirely.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm... Not really sure how well that'd work out. Smash's big selling point is the gaming all-stars, so if we strip that away I feel like a large portion of people would just abandon it in favor of stuff like Fraymakers or Rivals of Aether. Take away the all-stars, and it's just another platform fighter. Unless, of course, we shake up the formula a little, but at that point it's just a different game entirely.
Good point. I guess that'd be a "pick your poison" kind of situation, huh? Though which poison would be worse: Cutting some of the roster and risking all these arguments and divisions over cuts and returns, or cut everyone and replace them with OCs?

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I'm gonna say it every time it comes up: for Smash 6, just do a villain game with just the, like, twelve-ish villains we already have and a bunch more new ones. That's how you fit new characters into a smaller roster while making it not feel like a downgrade and making cuts sting less.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm gonna say it every time it comes up: for Smash 6, just do a villain game with just the, like, twelve-ish villains we already have and a bunch more new ones. That's how you fit new characters into a smaller roster while making it not feel like a downgrade and making cuts sting less.
A Smash Bros. game consisting of villains (assuming that not even rivals or anti-heroes would make it in). I do wonder what that game would be called? Maybe Super Smash Frenemies? :drshrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom