• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC-gi! Waluigi for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC (Currently Assist trophy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
With Nintendo choosing the DLC they may have thrown Waluigi's name in, Sakurai dislikes him and hasnt put him in 3 games so it is possible he was veto'd for another anime swordfighter, but either way, I feel like he has a chance again, Nintendo is more aware of Waluigi's popularity than Sakurai ever was, who dismissed it as just memes and no actual fans. So...

tumblr_p8nbogP0Fu1uhnw0yo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Waluigi is long overdue in Smash. This game has no representation of people who can swim in midair.

Not only does WAH deserve it, but he could function as a Trojan Horse for other Assist Trophies as DLC...like Ashley.

Count me as a supporter!

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Considering that dlc is going until 2020, there's a good chance that dlc fighter 4 - 5 could be waluigi if Nintendo had the final say, not a set lock but there's a good chance.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like StoicSeraphim has made a big difference in how I feel about Waluigi.

I'll support Waluigi for dlc too.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Uhh, what?

I don’t know if we want Waluigi to be associated with anything politics, it’s better if he’s all-audiences, right?

(Not an American, stating this just in case)
I'm pretty sure waluigi being an icon for those fighting for civil rights and freedoms is a good thing.
"All-audience" would imply the alt-right and whatnot would be there and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good case scenario, don't forget what happened to pepe the frog.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure waluigi being an icon for those fighting for civil rights and freedoms is a good thing.
"All-audience" would imply the alt-right and whatnot would be there and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good case scenario, don't forget what happened to pepe the frog.
Yeah, but I don’t want the alt-right bashing Waluigi either. With the James Gunn thing, we saw what those people can do when they put their minds to it.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Waluigi is the only one I could feasibly see break the Assist in the same game thing. Not because I believe in any silly conspiracies that were spread after E3. But because it was just early enough for Nintendo to at least potentially put him on the list to include as DLC.

And while the concern would be there about the Twitter threats. I do think people overestimate the actual impact of said threats on Sakurai's feed when he's probably mentioned hundreds of times per day by fans who really want their character.

Regardless of the Twitter controversy, it's clear there was a big reaction to Waluigi that even got to mainstream gaming news sites to report about it. So if it EVER happens (An assist being upgraded in the same game), Waluigi will be it. I don't think it will happen, but if Nintendo and Sakurai wanted to pull the rug from us again and fulfill a request at the same time. I could actually see this being feasible.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I wanna be clear and say that I don't really support him, I've never cared about the non platformer Mario games except maybe the older RPGs and puzzle games. To me, playing the original SMB trilogy and then looking at Mario Party or Mario Golf feels like growing up on classic Mickey Mouse Shorts and then sitting down in front of those CG Mickey cartoons for toddlers.

That being said, I'm not entirely against him either since he is a key part of the Mario mythos now. There's plenty of playable Mario characters who have been in a Mario Party game. But there are no characters that actually represent it with their movesets, and as far as I can tell, that's really Waluigi's only option.

Also, I think it doesn't seem that unreasonable for a character to be both an assist trophy and a playable character. It's not really an explicitly stated rule that it can't happen. Doesn't seem any more or less strange that players can fight the same characters they choose. If I had it my way, the playable characters would have their own assist trophies too.

He's not on my list, but he's literally the only Mario Mainstay left, besides maybe Kamek.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
John Dylan Smith is just here to cause trouble. Do not accept him as a supporter. Do not allow him to feel welcome in this thread.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think Waluigi's shot as DLC depends on when the DLC was decided, which we currently don't know.

if the DLC was chosen after E3, Waluigi must have definitely been CONSIDERED at least. remember that Reggie said that he would inform Sakurai about the demand for Waluigi, and then a few months later Sakurai said Nintendo co-picked the characters. however, this doesn't mean Waluigi is definite. Sakurai said Nintendo would give ideas for characters and he would choose them based on potential moveset. now, while a lot of great fan-made Waluigi movesets exist out there, and Sakurai has managed to make unique movesets for characters with seemingly little moveset potential like Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man, it's not definite that Sakurai could come up with Waluigi moveset. I think his most likely case would be if he's a Isabelle-sorta character, whether to Wario, the Mario Bros. or someone else entirely I'm not sure. another thing to mention is Piranha Plant. while we all love Waluigi's son (or is that daughter?) and are very proud of him, he could be a big blow to Waluigi's chances as DLC, emphasis on COULD. Piranha Plant is very alike to Waluigi in some ways, he's a weird, jokey Mario character and I couldn't imagine Sakurai including two similar characters from the same series as DLC - well, until Corrin came about (see, he was good for something!). Corrin, while having some unique qualities, such as his drill-thing and dragon transformation (the latter of which is probably someone's fetish, but I won't shame, my fetishes are way weirder), is at the end of the day, still a sword-wielding lord with a counter, just like Roy - even then, Corrin could've been a one-off, since it was the Smash team who came up with the idea, not Sakurai himself. over all, if DLC was chosen after E3, Waluigi's DLC chances are 50/50 if you ask me.

if the DLC was chosen before E3, then that'd be bad news. Waluigi is unpopular in Japan (at least in comparison to here), and Sakurai could've easily misinterpreted the Western love for Waluigi as a fandom in-joke akin to Shrek, the Home Depot or Reckless Safety Notice Man (which is to be completely honest, understandable), hence his "just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into battle" pic of the day. Waluigi has about a 10% chance of making it to DLC at max if DLC was chosen prior to E3.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
So I have created another moveset for Waluigi (Sorry it's in all-caps/hard to read, I copy-pasted it from an all-caps Google Doc I've been writing.) I'd like to hear your feedback!
WALUIGI’S NEUTRAL SPECIAL IS ENTITLED MUSTACHIOED. THIS MOVE IS NOT BORROWED FROM ANY SOURCE MATERIAL AS IT’S AN ORIGINAL MOVE. IN INFINITE, WALUIGI SNATCHES WALUIGI-THEMED BINOCULARS BEFORE FIRING SEVERAL MULTICOLORED SPARKS FORWARD FROM THE LENS. IF AN OPPONENT HAPPENS TO BE CAUGHT IN THE SPARKS’ LINE OF FIRE, THE OPPONENT IN QUESTION BEARS WALUIGI’S HAT, NOSE AND MUSTACHE. THE OPPONENT IN QUESTION ALSO RECEIVES ONE OF FIVE UNFAVORABLE STATUS EFFECTS. THEY ARE, AS FOLLOWS;
~THE OPPONENT IN QUESTION RECEIVES POISON DAMAGE ON CONTACT (COMMON)
~THE OPPONENT IN QUESTION RECEIVES INVERTED CONTROLS (COMMON)
~THE OPPONENT IN QUESTION RECEIVES PARALYSIS (COMMON)
~THE OPPONENT IN QUESTION IS TRANSFORMED INTO AN IMMOBILE STONE STATUE (RARE)
~THE OPPONENT RECEIVES AN INSTANT KO (EXTREMELY RARE)
IF WALUIGI OVERRELIES ON THIS MOVE, THE BINOCULARS EXPLODE IN HIS FACE, INFLICTING ONE OF THE FIVE STATUSES UPON HIMSELF.

WALUIGI’S SIDE SPECIAL IS ENTITLED BOB-OMBIC PLAGUE, INFLUENCED BY THE MARIO PARTY 7 MINIGAME OF THE SAME NAME. IN INFINITE, WALUIGI SNATCHES A BOB-OMB BEFORE LOOKING ON EITHER SIDE OF HIMSELF. IF AN OPPONENT HAPPENS TO BE IN RADIUS OF WALUIGI DURING THIS TIME, WALUIGI WILL PASS THE BOB-OMB ONTO THEM. THE OPPONENT IN QUESTION IS ABLE TO PASS THE BOB-OMB BACK TO WALUIGI, WHICH WILL ENGAGE IN A HOT POTATO-ESQUE PROCEDURE WHEREIN WALUIGI AND THE OPPONENT ARE ABLE TO PASS THE BOB-OMB TO EACH OTHER UNTIL THE BOB-OMB EXPLODES IN ONE OF THEIR HANDS. IF THE OPPONENT HAS THE BOB-OMB IN THEIR HANDS BEFORE IT EXPLODES, THEY’LL SUFFER EXTREME DAMAGE/KNOCKBACK. IF WALUIGI HAS THE BOB-OMB IN HIS HANDS BEFORE IT EXPLODES, WALUIGI WILL ENTER A PARALYZED STATE, LEAVING HIM VULNERABLE.

WALUIGI’S UP SPECIAL IS ENTITLED WHISKER MISSILE, INFLUENCED BY THE ITEM FOUND IN MARIO KART ARCADE GP DX. IN INFINITE, WALUIGI SUMMONS THE WHISKERED MISSILE BEFORE ROCKETING UPWARD. THIS ABILITY IS UNABLE TO COVER ANY HORIZONTAL DISTANCE AS IT’S ONLY ABLE TO TRAVEL STRAIGHT UPWARDS. WALUIGI CAN ALSO DETACH HIMSELF FROM THE MISSILE, GOING INTO HIS FALL STATE WHILE THE MISSILE CONTINUES TO ROCKET UPWARDS, EVENTUALLY EXPLODING.

WALUIGI’S DOWN SPECIAL IS ENTITLED DYNAMITE ATOLL, INFLUENCED BY THE DYNAMITE MECHANIC FROM THE MARIO PARTY 3 BOARD, WALUIGI’S ISLAND. IN INFINITE, WALUIGI PLANTS A MINIATURE ISLAND DIORAMA IN THE GROUND WITH A STICK OF DYNAMITE WITH AN ACTIVE TIMER. THE DYNAMITE IN QUESTION HAS A COUNTDOWN TIMER ATTACHED. THE TIMER CAN COUNT DOWN MANUALLY OR ABSORB FIVE STRONG ATTACKS TO SPEED UP THE TIMER. WHEN THE TIMER REACHES ZERO TIME UNITS, THE DYNAMITE WILL EXPLODE. NOTE THAT IF ANY OPPONENTS ARE IN RADIUS OF THE EXPLOSION ARE HOLDING ITEMS, THEIR ITEMS WILL BE SCATTERED ACROSS THE STAGE.

WALUIGI'S FINAL SMASH IS ENTITLED WALUIGI #1. UPON ACTIVATION, WALUIGI JOLTS FORWARD, CLUTCHING MULTIPLE ITEMS FROM THE MARIO SPIN-OFF TITLES. IF AN OPPONENT COLLIDES WITH WALUIGI, THEY’LL BE HURDLED INTO A CINEMATIC, WHEREIN A SPOTLIGHT FALLS UNTO THEM. WALUIGI DARTS OUT OF THE DARKNESS HOWEVER, AND SWINGS HIS TENNIS RACQUET INTO THE OPPONENT. WALUIGI PROCEEDS TO BATTER THE OPPOSITION WITH BASEBALL BATS, A DECK OF CARDS, A DICE BLOCK AND A LACROSSE STICK IN COMIC BOOK-ESQUE FASHION. WALUIGI THEN TACKLES THE OPPONENT, BURROWING THEM INTO THE GROUND, BEFORE RUNNING THEM OVER WITH THE WALUIGI RACER FROM MARIO KART: DOUBLE DASH, SENDING THEM FLYING.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I do want Waluigi. I just don't think it's likely. If he does get in then my girl Krystal needs to be upgraded from Assist to playable as well.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I made this Waluigi moveset a few months ago. Now would be a time to share it here I guess.

Sometimes what we want is impossible. No matter how much we want something it was simply not meant to be. Sometimes its because the powers at be who opted to decline the possibility and the dream dies. But sometimes we like to think of what-if scenarios (Hell this entire series is one). We like to think about how things could’ve been, or how things can change.

This is one of two “Ultimate What If” characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Let's not do petitions. Sakurai already said decisions have been made for DLC. poor guy goes through so much for us leave the man alone.
I honestly don't even think we're getting a season 2 DLC for this game. Nintendo usually just does one big DLC for their games then moves on. and really after the DLC pass characters are finished and out. I just want Sakurai to take his break for like a year and then move onto new projects.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Even if we're not doing petitions, we can still show support for the next game and for DLC should the slim chance Waluigi or other already assist are coming as DLC.

I'm still gonna keep the petitions I linked on the front though just so they can at least be a testimony to Waluigi and his popularity, considering they have garnered over 100,000 signatures combined, as well keep the future assist upgrade to playable character petition so that it's considered if not for this game a future one

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
A recent theory that surfaced which, while I think is just a coincidence/people really grasping at straws, I still think is interesting and could easily be a teaser.

IMG_20181122_001542.jpg

Basically, people are saying you can see faces and images of characters in the buildings due to certain widow's being lighten up and having color tints to them
IMG_20181122_001601.jpg

IMG_20181122_001621.jpg

While I personally don't buy into this, I will say I do see a face in the one that's supposedly dry Bones, bit to me it more looks like a pig face, maybe representing either ganon (pig form from the original LOZ NES games) or Porky Minch from earthbound. Either way, not believing this theory but it does seem interesting. And yes, I do see waluigi in the main one. The purple and pink Nose part really sells it for me. But once again, this probably is a coincidence and means nothing

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Some potential spoilers bellow but also waluigi information in world of light/spirits
2 confirmed waluigi spirits in the game now, one
Being a striker waluigi from super Mario strikers, the other being a Mario Kart one. I believe bother label themselves as being specific versions of waluigi bring strikers and Mario Kart, while no regular waluigi has been found. Though ultimately, I still don't think this really helps his case if spirit's really do mean deconfomations on top of the assist trophy in the game, Porky is looking more likely as DLC now that he isn't in the game at all, even as a spirit or boss (which tbh I would be pretty happy with Porky as a fighter personally, specially if he's in his mech). That being said, the recent news that there may be around 30 potential spots left for DLC characters (29 of you add piranha plant already) gives him more of a chance for later down the line, seeing as with that many potential characters, it's a good chance one or a few of those would be assist trophy upgrades, and that more than likely would include the WAH himself. So, chins up and move forward with the support and dedication.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
So this just appeared on the Luigi page for the smash ultimate site apparently
ss_6.jpg

I really hope they are teasing something and aren't trying to rub it in or anything ._.

EDIT: apparently this has been there on the site for a while, nevermind >.<

Last edited:

Greedy

Smash Rookie
NNID
WarriorWare
How ain't this one of the biggest threads on the board? Waluigi's as overdue as Wario was a this point.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
How ain't this one of the biggest threads on the board? Waluigi's as overdue as Wario was a this point.
Personally I feel after e3 and after the locking of the original waluigi thread, most of the waluigi supporters left the site, and tbh I do feel there was a bit of bias against waluigi, I noticed a lot of threads that tried to talk about waluigi and continue the support got shut down by mods for things like "no dlc he's deconfirmed sorry".

Which I will say to that argument I don't think that viable anymore because this can happen in the game now:
IMG_20181201_042556.jpg

So yeah, we pretty much have to rebuild the waluigi support on this site and bring back the old support and new ones to show we still are passionate about the character getting his overdue promotion and showing that the support is real and not "just for memes" as some people would want people to believe.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Personally I feel after e3 and after the locking of the original waluigi thread, most of the waluigi supporters left the site, and tbh I do feel there was a bit of bias against waluigi, I noticed a lot of threads that tried to talk about waluigi and continue the support got shut down by mods for things like "no dlc he's deconfirmed sorry".

Which I will say to that argument I don't think that viable anymore because this can happen in the game now:
View attachment 181682

So yeah, we pretty much have to rebuild the waluigi support on this site and bring back the old support and new ones to show we still are passionate about the character getting his overdue promotion and showing that the support is real and not "just for memes" as some people would want people to believe.
We might not have a big thread currently, but we’re definitely one of the biggest requests.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
well, with the announcement that apparently the dlc will only be new franchises to smash, i honestly feel i've lost almost all hope for waluigi. seeing chrom have multiple roles gave a little glimmer of for me, but now i doubt anything. maybe next game.

regarding joker.... personally i don't care for the persona games since i haven't played so i'm indifferent to that, but the reason i don't like it is cause of this supporting atlus games and their anti-lgbtq+ agenda that they push, so seeing that is kinda disheartening for me as i would hope nintendo would put ethical and moral things first, but meh. not like nintendo has the best track record either....

anyway, i would love to be wrong and somehow see waluigi make it somehow but i am not holding my breath anymore. let's just remember: it's always his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom