• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I really hope Dixie Kong gets in... and is viable ._.

Using Palutena in tourney is no fun :L

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I really hope Dixie Kong gets in... and is viable ._.

Using Palutena in tourney is no fun :L
Well, at the very least, DLC characters don't have customs, so thankfully if Dixie gets in she won't be haphazardly designed around them even though they don't exist in any competitive context.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Dixie Kong...?

Not a terrible choice, just inferior to K. Rool, IMO.

jranks

Smash Cadet
I just want Nintendo characters, no more Non-Nintendo characters, in my opinion

I just want Nintendo characters, no more Non-Nintendo characters, in my opinion
But...... I want King K. Rool. Donkey Kong is my favorite video game character ever and I want to his main villain to be playable in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
As an all-out supporter of K. Rool, I must admit that Dixie would be the sweetest defeat for sure. No, she won't fill the crocodile shaped hole I'm feeling there is in the roster, but she's still a character that I like a lot and I would be enthusiast about her in this game. Just imagine how fun playing Diddy and Dixie in doubles would be.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'll be honest, you all would not BELIEVE the HYPE, and I mean the HYPE I would feel and experience if Dixie Kong was playable in Smash. I don't care if she's bad to play as, I'll probably play as her as often as I do Larry Koopa, who is more or less my main in Smash 4.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Here are my current top 10:
top 10.jpg

And now in order;
10.Hades
9.Ice Climbers
8.Krystal
7.Snake
6.Impa
5.Medusa
4.Inkling
3.King K Rool
2.Wolf
1.Bayonetta

Dixie would probably be 11th. I wouldn't mind her getting in before K Rool since she would be an awesome character, too. It's just a list of priorities.:)

Looking forward to Dixie being smashified, all the hints point to her, including the music tease and Smashifieds new logo!

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
>Half of last page is devoted to something wrong with community
>call a member's pick inferior

*sigh* old habits die hard.
While I think Mask's wording was a bit haphazard, I don't think he meant it the way you imply. He did say "in my opinion". He just said, "Dixie isn't as good a choice as K. Rool to my mind."

Which is fine. I don't think Dixie is as good a choice either. I don't think Wonder Red is as good a choice either. People will prioritise certain characters over others, and that's okay.

Morbi

Scavenger
>Half of last page is devoted to something wrong with community
>call a member's pick inferior

*sigh* old habits die hard.
To be fair, Dixie Kong as a potential character on the roster is inferior to King K. Rool (in terms of raw move-set potential, character archetype, fan demand, franchise prominence/influence, and aesthetic diversity); however, preference is key. If someone supports Dixie Kong, there is nothing wrong with that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I like Dixie and K. Rool equally and will be happy if either got in.

That said, Dixie has already been revived with Tropical Freeze and her getting into Smash is only a matter of when. K. Rool needs the support more at this point, given his future is still uncertain.

Both are great choices, honestly.

:231:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I like Dixie and K. Rool equally and will be happy if either got in.

That said, Dixie has already been revived with Tropical Freeze and her getting into Smash is only a matter of when. K. Rool needs the support more at this point, given his future is still uncertain.

Both are great choices, honestly.

Thnak you! All this time, I've been trying to get it out, but basically, I've wanting to say that King K. Rool AND Dixie Kong are great choices, and it makes me really sad to see people dismiss her as a semi-clone of Diddy. I mean, I'm aware of the similar body types and all, but still, really depressing. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them both, but I see King K. Rool as likely due to fan demand, if nothing else. In the end however, I still support Dixie more. Each to their own, I guess.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I have three big reasons why I prefer K. Rool over Dixie as a choice.

1) He, frankly, needs it more. His demand for a return in the Returns games but not a single sign has left many DK fans feeling... incomplete, when he is THE villain for the series, it's a shame that his last appearance was on a medicore Mario sports game and last game most people think of him being iconic was back on the n64 for god's sake.

2) I've played DKC 2 & 3, part of Tropical Freeze with a friend, and of course her minor appearances in some of the Mario sports games. Dixie... never struck out as that unique or impressive when stacked side by side to Diddy. I can't help but shake the idea that she'd be a :4lucas:or even :4luigi: tier clone of one of my least liked characters in Smash to play with and against.

3) I genuinely feel like I'll enjoy playing K. Rool on basis of a heavy weight with some tricky tools (considering three of my big characters are :4ganondorf: heavy :4bowserjr:"Tricky" and :4wario2:a mix of the two) than Dixie who I just see still being a small, pretty agile fighter who's got a heavy but "basic" combo game.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Even if K. Rool made his dynamic return to DKC, I'd still support him over Dixie. I just think he's a more interesting character and I'd have more fun with him.

That said, I think it's a shame that both characters need to vie for dominance just because they share the same series icon. Ideally we'd have Dixie in the base game and DKC fans would unite to support K. Rool (or vice-versa), if more Kong is what they desire.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Even if K. Rool made his dynamic return to DKC, I'd still support him over Dixie. I just think he's a more interesting character and I'd have more fun with him.

That said, I think it's a shame that both characters need to vie for dominance just because they share the same series icon. Ideally we'd have Dixie in the base game and DKC fans would unite to support K. Rool (or vice-versa), if more Kong is what they desire.
I seriously hope that we have both by the time we get Smash 5's base game. I feel like DK is honestly a series that could've stood well from an addition each game (DK - 64, Diddy - Melee, K. Rool - Brawl (BECAUSE THAT SSE THO), Dixie - Sm4sh).

Like... there are characters I "like" and there are characters who "deserve" to be in in differing values that I fully recognize. We'll... We'll see what comes.

AS SOON AS RIDLEY GETS A LESS LANKY BODY, YOU KNOW I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND HIM TO JOIN THE FIGHT!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If only we could all work together in terms of King K. Rool AND Dixie.......but NOOO....it just HAS to be one or the other.:urg:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If only we could all work together in terms of King K. Rool AND Dixie.......but NOOO....it just HAS to be one or the other.:urg:
I like that K. Rool is the top pick and all DKC fans uniting for him.
Or else you'd get the cluster**** that's the Mario-character scene, with multiple characters having middling popularity, but none of them standing out.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
AS SOON AS RIDLEY GETS A LESS LANKY BODY, YOU KNOW I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND HIM TO JOIN THE FIGHT!
Ridley was one of my most-wanted way back when. He still is, in theory, but my desire to see him has waned since December '14.

There's no character I think needs to be in the roster for me to be totally satisfied. I was satisfied when my most-wanted - Palutena - was confirmed. Even so, I've become very emotionally invested in K. Rool and I'd be disappointed if he didn't make it.

I don't need K. Rool to be satisfied with the roster, but of the realistic choices remaining, he's the one I want the most.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I seriously hope that we have both by the time we get Smash 5's base game. I feel like DK is honestly a series that could've stood well from an addition each game (DK - 64, Diddy - Melee, K. Rool - Brawl (BECAUSE THAT SSE THO), Dixie - Sm4sh).
Thank you, now I can't stop to think about how great a K. Rool appearence on SSE would've been.
SSE in general is something I sorely miss, it was a very fun way to showcase the personality of every fighter even if the actual gameplay was not perfect.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think it's really a testament to how influential King K. Rool is in speculation to turn over people who have never played DKC to his side, given the amount of support he's been getting from fans to Rare themselves. I've never played the classic DKC games and yet he still appeals to me, for instance.

It remains to be seen if the support is great enough to topple the fanmade barrier of the Mii costume, but even with my impartial mindset I think it can be done.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think it's really a testament to how influential King K. Rool is in speculation to turn over people who have never played DKC to his side, given the amount of support he's been getting from fans to Rare themselves. I've never played the classic DKC games and yet he still appeals to me, for instance.

It remains to be seen if the support is great enough to topple the fanmade barrier of the Mii costume, but even with my impartial mindset I think it can be done.
Considering it got relatively impartial supporters, i.e. yours truly, to get off the fence and vote...

I'd say yes, yes it can.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Am I the only person who finds Dixie overrated as a top tier ballot character? I don't have a problem with her getting in Smash via the vanilla roster but I find her to be lackluster as a DLC character especially considering the fact that we're quite limited with the amount of DLC characters we can get through the ballot. When I think of top tier ballot characters who would be great choices for the Ballot, I think of characters like, K. Rool, Isaac, and Bandana Dee who are very unique and can draw out really interesting movesets. I just don't find myself having the same kind of optimism with Dixie. Sure, she doesn't have to be a Diddy clone but she still shares a similar look to him and would feel similar to him. That wouldn't be a problem if she made it in the vanilla roster for Smash 5 but as a DLC character, I would feel pretty disappointed. Especially if she got in over K. Rool who deserves to be in over her.

Still, she would be a 1000X better than having someone like Shantae or Shovel Knight as DLC. That I can say for sure is a good thing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The simple fact is that its not all that likely to get both. A hell of a lot of both Dixie and K. Rool fans DO want both, but no one thinks there's a decent chance at getting either or. I'm sorry, but its simply not a viable option at this point in time. That should've happened in the base game, but DLC, especially with a limited number of possible characters, makes getting both of them an EXTREMELY slim shot at best. Of COURSE people are going to flock to the one they want the most.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
"The Smash Ballot was a mistake" - Sakurai

It helps that his fanbase is very welcoming. That goes a long way in attracting more people to your cause.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Uh...how does one work together to get both of them? I can see people working together to get one of them sure, but are you suggesting that everyone puts 1 vote into K Rool and 1 into Dixie, because apart from the ballot not accepting multiple vote, that is also implying that everyone wants both. And it just so happens K.Rool is the waaay more popular one. If they were equally popular, you could MAYBE see both. Depends on how Sakurai views reps. He may want to limit DLC to one per franchise. We don't know.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Uh...how does one work together to get both of them? I can see people working together to get one of them sure, but are you suggesting that everyone puts 1 vote into K Rool and 1 into Dixie, because apart from the ballot not accepting multiple vote, that is also implying that everyone wants both. And it just so happens K.Rool is the waaay more popular one. If they were equally popular, you could MAYBE see both. Depends on how Sakurai views reps. He may want to limit DLC to one per franchise. We don't know.
No where does it say that the ballot doesn't accept multiple votes....it just asks us nicely to only vote once but it still accepts the vote if you vote more than once....

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
No where does it say that the ballot doesn't accept multiple votes....it just asks us nicely to only vote once but it still accepts the vote if you vote more than once....
I heard differently. I heard it overwrites the previous vote you made.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Still, she would be a 1000X better than having someone like Shantae or Shovel Knight as DLC. That I can say for sure is a good thing.
Why, because they're classified as indies? "Indie" is just a label, and all it means is something was developed and published by an independent party. And one of those indies had an Amiibo get approved for production. And one of Nintendo's goals has been to give better treatment to indie developers/gaming.

Because they're third-party? That line was crossed almost a decade ago. And most of the "rules" involving what qualifies a third-party as compatible with Smash have all been things made up by the fanbase. All that's been officially said is that a third-party should be a video game character, and that they must have had a presence at some point on Nintendo's systems.

And I say this as someone that doesn't want Shovel Knight to make it. If that makes any difference.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It should be irrelevant whether or not a character's inclusion aligns with "Nintendo's goals." It's not the fans' job to ask themselves how they can fall in line behind Nintendo's current marketing schemes in deciding what characters to support, rather than supporting the characters they like and pushing Nintendo to create new marketing schemes based on that support. This is where we're at with speculation, though, since "relevance" very much ties into this as well.

Some people, including myself, would rather have standards for third parties, let alone characters, higher than "he had one niche cult classic game come out recently." Why does that entitle him to leapfrog over longtime third party icons like Rayman or Simon Belmont, or even Banjo? Or bringing Snake back, for that matter.

As annoying as it is when people argue "Third parties make the game SO IMPURE so let's cut Sonic and the others because muh diminishing returns" advocating for indie characters is just too far in the opposite direction for my liking.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Dixie and K.Rool BOTH have good reasons to be in
This. While it would be a right way to have that perfect DKC representation, the chances of us getting both as DLC is extremely slim. This is why the realistic me would like to have one as DLC and the other as a newcomer in the next game (with that SSB4 DLC promoted as a newcomer as well).

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Sadly, pretty much this. I in all honesty like both characters. I think they'd both be unique in their own ways. If Dixie had made the cut back in Brawl, we would've had all the main Kongs there. For Smash 4, we probably would have gotten King K. Rool by this time or in the next game. I feel both characters are equally important enough to earn a spot. DK is a big enough franchise to at least warrant two more characters. Sadly, it really does have to be one over the other, one would have to make it for DLC for this game. Though I do think the other would gain much more hype if they were a newcomer when they make their debut for a possible next game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My thoughts on 3rd party DLC is this: As long as a character has been on a Nintendo Console, Nintendo has an any and all policy towards third parties as long as A: They are popular enough. (some characters might have to consistently be popular.), and B: They can get the rights to said character. For characters like Rayman and Shovel Knight, this should be no problem assuming they have the support, as Ubisoft and Yacht Club have worked with Nintendo recently. Honestly, for some 3rd party characters, their inclusion would just depend on the amount of purists we have out there. (and being a purist isn't a bad thing either. They are probably the reason why Jigglypuff is still in the game, and the more veterans that stay safe the better in my opinion.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
My thoughts on 3rd party DLC is this: As long as a character has been on a Nintendo Console, Nintendo has an any and all policy towards third parties as long as A: They are popular enough. (some characters might have to consistently be popular.), and B: They can get the rights to said character. For characters like Rayman and Shovel Knight, this should be no problem assuming they have the support, as Ubisoft and Yacht Club have worked with Nintendo recently. Honestly, for some 3rd party characters, their inclusion would just depend on the amount of purists we have out there. (and being a purist isn't a bad thing either. They are probably the reason why Jigglypuff is still in the game, and the more veterans that stay safe the better in my opinion.)
That's kind of my view on 3rd parties as well. I mean, I understand some may not have as big a chance as others. Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo comes to mind. I mean, while her series is selling even more than Sonic of all things these days, along with the fact that her series has ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS released a game on a Nintendo console, with the exception of the Virtual Boy, it's her Japan-exclusivity that would pose a slight problem, combined with the notion that Japan is where her votes are flowing from, and apparently, she's more highly requested than I thought. Yay? I'll say this much: I've got a LOT of choices of 3rd party characters I'd choose from SEGA, Namco, and Capcom, I'll admit. Believe you me, you'd probably be SHOCKED at the amount of them that I'm open to. But still, it'll come down to Sakurai.

Burruni

Smash Hero
That's kind of my view on 3rd parties as well. I mean, I understand some may not have as big a chance as others. Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo comes to mind. I mean, while her series is selling even more than Sonic of all things these days, along with the fact that her series has ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS released a game on a Nintendo console, with the exception of the Virtual Boy, it's her Japan-exclusivity that would pose a slight problem, combined with the notion that Japan is where her votes are flowing from, and apparently, she's more highly requested than I thought. Yay? I'll say this much: I've got a LOT of choices of 3rd party characters I'd choose from SEGA, Namco, and Capcom, I'll admit. Believe you me, you'd probably be SHOCKED at the amount of them that I'm open to. But still, it'll come down to Sakurai.
Once again, PLEASE give us your source on a Japan-only series outselling the flagship one of the same company.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Once again, PLEASE give us your source on a Japan-only series outselling the flagship one of the same company.
The person in question said "these days", not "all time." Obviously Sonic has over 150m total game sales, no way Puyo Puyo is even close to that. However, these days Sonic game's haven't been doing that great. Granted, that's primarily just a few games that were pretty bad, I highly doubt any Puyo Puyo games sold better than Unleashed, Colors, or Generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom