• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
In reference to the previous "Dixie or K. Rool" discussion, I think both are perfectly befitting choices. Would it make less sense if Dixie got in, due to the massive amount of K. Rool supporters? Yes. But at least they would pick another under-appreciated character. Personally, I would say I would want K. Rool in as we already have two Kongs, but that is just myself. Both getting in would be perfectly fine as well, however. Getting any new character in Smash is fine with me, as long as that character makes logical sense. For instance, I would obviously be ticked off if someone like Kratos would get into Smash because it makes absolutely no sense.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I really do doubt that Dixie Kong and King K. Rool will both be DLC, though they are both good choices.

I could be wrong on this, but Dixie actually has a high shot of becoming a newcomer in Smash 5. As we already know, she was being developed for Brawl, and I'm not entirely sure they would throw her away completely.

In fact, note how Dixie Kong was a part of the Forbidden Seven. :4drmario::4mewtwo::4feroy: were alongside her. All of them came back...pre-ballot...undriven by fan support.

Likely, they did it due to them being easy to develop. Dixie could come along when they're ready for more newcomers picked by the Smash team.

So, Dixie's fan support combined with her Forbidden Seven should be enough to get her in next game.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Uh...how does one work together to get both of them? I can see people working together to get one of them sure, but are you suggesting that everyone puts 1 vote into K Rool and 1 into Dixie, because apart from the ballot not accepting multiple vote, that is also implying that everyone wants both. And it just so happens K.Rool is the waaay more popular one. If they were equally popular, you could MAYBE see both. Depends on how Sakurai views reps. He may want to limit DLC to one per franchise. We don't know.
Hang on, so I wasted my vote by voting for multiple characters? :O

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I think that this week we'll be getting an announcement before the DLC comes out, if there are characters then I think that Wolf and Shovel Knight seem the most likely (with the ladder being the most likely) but we'll most likely be getting some Mii Costumes (I'm putting my cards on Issac) and one more stage.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm going to post spoilers in case no one is interested in my thoughts... I don't mean to sound rant-y... But...
...No matter how many times I see it, it baffles me.

I don't understand the mentality behind thinking the next installment will magically fix all the problems that Smash Wii U/3DS leaves behind. Like the roster not having "so and so", for example. No one even knows what the next game will be like, other than the fact it will play similarly to the previous installments to a degree. Like it always does. Beyond the obvious day 1 veterans, we have no idea what the roster will be like for a fact. We don't know if we will be losing a majority of the characters in this current roster. And if that does happen, we all know hell will be broke loose when people start demanding "so and so" who got cut over characters who have never even been in Smash. Heck, we very well may not even get anymore than a few, if any at all, in the next installment.

You can only reach so far into the barrel for characters until your roster becomes cluttered. The roster is starting to get to a point where it needs to stop adding characters before it leads to more issues. Things like balance or character attachments are bound to get worse if they proceed to add more. My point in all this is, you shouldn't just put off a character just so the next game can pick up the slack. The next game may very well not pick up any slack at all. Seriously. This ballot thing isn't to be taken lightly. People should just support the character they want to see instead of thinking the next game has their back covered.

That being said, I did a little bit of Smash art of Ninten if any Smash / Earthbound B. / Mother fans would care to see.

He isn't on the very top of my support list, but I would certainly enjoy him if he ever got in Smash. I doubt he really has much of a chance though, honestly. It would be interesting to see how they would modernize his design without making him look too much like Ness.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I know that Indies have become a huge topic recently. I'm not familiar with any of the games (I'm getting the Physical copy of Shovel Knight), but my only comment on Shovel Knight is this...

If we were to get ANY Indie character, at this point I would say the one with the best chance is Shovel Knight. Strong Nintendo connection, first Indie (and non-Smash 3rd party) to get an amiibo...he's got some priority to Indies. Basically, I strongly feel that anyone else really doesn't have as strong a connection.

Does that mean he's going to be in Smash? Eh...I don't really know. If that leak is actually true, then yeah. If that leak isn't true, I don't see him getting in. I'm the type of guy who might be open to it, but I don't know that it'll happen. Then again, if he somehow were to win the ballot (or at least have the most votes) then he might get added.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I know that Indies have become a huge topic recently. I'm not familiar with any of the games (I'm getting the Physical copy of Shovel Knight), but my only comment on Shovel Knight is this...

If we were to get ANY Indie character, at this point I would say the one with the best chance is Shovel Knight. Strong Nintendo connection, first Indie (and non-Smash 3rd party) to get an amiibo...he's got some priority to Indies. Basically, I strongly feel that anyone else really doesn't have as strong a connection.

Does that mean he's going to be in Smash? Eh...I don't really know. If that leak is actually true, then yeah. If that leak isn't true, I don't see him getting in. I'm the type of guy who might be open to it, but I don't know that it'll happen. Then again, if he somehow were to win the ballot (or at least have the most votes) then he might get added.
No one can "win the ballot" it's a suggestion box with popularity factored in.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I don't get how a Shovel Knight amiibo means anything at all. His company was the first to pay for it (only one taking a risk), and it took a ton of time to get it done, Nintendo didn't give it much priority.

Is Chibi Robo more likely than Isaac or Dee because he got an Amiibo???

Shantae has to be more likely than Shovel Knight. She's shown up in Japan, and she's been around for a much longer time. I'm pretty positive more gamers know Shantae even in just the US than Shovel Knight. Why would you pay to get a character only so many people know of?

And wasn't the Shovel Knight leak proven wrong like that old Ridley leak because of Font inconsistentcy?

But instead of Indies...
The final 3rd Party will be Professor Layton. There is no reason to include Shovel Knight over him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The reason why people are talking about SK this much is because of a "rumor" that hasn't been debunked yet (the one which Tama is backing or something)

I think @PushDustIn knows more about this thing. If i got something wrong please tell me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No one can "win the ballot" it's a suggestion box with popularity factored in.
I am aware. That's why I clarified in parentheses and am typically someone to call people out on that.
I don't get how a Shovel Knight amiibo means anything at all. His company was the first to pay for it (only one taking a risk), and it took a ton of time to get it done, Nintendo didn't give it much priority.

Shantae has to be more likely than Shovel Knight. She's shown up in Japan, and she's been around for a much longer time. I'm pretty positive more gamers know Shantae even in just the US than Shovel Knight. Why would you pay to get a character only so many people know of?

And wasn't the Shovel Knight leak proven wrong like that old Ridley leak because of Font inconsistentcy?

But instead of Indies...
The final 3rd Party will be Professor Layton. There is no reason to include Shovel Knight over him.
Chibo Robo isn't 3rd party. You're missing the point with that entirely. I had no idea who Shantae was before people brought her up, yet I've known Shovel Knight for a fairly long time.

Also, "Why would you pay to get a character only so many people know of?"
>suggests Professor Layton as DLC

If you're talking about adding a 3rd Party people know, then Snake should be the one added. He or Rayman are arguably the two most well known 3rd parties thrown around in Smash speculation. Layton doesn't even come close.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
The image leak might not be what they're referring to; everyone's been doing those, they essentially mean nothing at all by now. I think what they mean is the fact that Tamaki has been insisting that he has "credible sources" telling him that Shovel Knight is most likely in.

Of course, he's toyed around with semantics and backpedaling in an attempt to try to avoid backlash if it turns out the whole thing was just hot air.

All this and more; it's true that Shovel Knight is well-known especially in the indie scene, but it's really just because he's been so Flavor of the Month. Not unlike Fez was from a few years ago. SK is just even more successful because of how the nostalgia-factor draws people in.

However, he's very new. The reason people say Shantae would make more sense than him is because of her longer history, but specifically the fact that her presence has historically been focused on Nintendo's own systems. The two most recent games and the upcoming release are multiplatform, but I believe one of them started out as exclusive, I think it was DSiWare, while the other is getting a physical release in Japan for the 3DS.

Little known fact: She also has a microgame. So, hilariously enough, she already has an official appearance in one of Nintendo's own games.

But mainly, as of right now I feel like the main reason Shovel Knight should be left out in this instance is because of how much preferential treatment Yacht Club Games has been getting already, with the Amiibo being their most recent big success. It's nice and all for there to be an Indie gaming icon, but if he's crowding out basically every other successful indie, then that kind of defeats the whole idea behind indie characters in the first place. Others should get to share the spotlight too.

To give him a Smash appearance when there are more fitting choices would be pushing it. And this is just a personal theory, but it wouldn't really surprise me at all if Sakurai wasn't taken with Shovel Knight's character concept.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If you ask me, Layton is probably only recognized for similar reasons to Shantae; some sort of debacle involving a voice actor.

Granted, Shantae has the bigger bandwagon, but still.

Snake should take priority over every third party anyway, and that includes indies. Rayman is the only other third party I can see being added that isn't a second Namco or Sega character.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm going to post spoilers in case no one is interested in my thoughts... I don't mean to sound rant-y... But...
...No matter how many times I see it, it baffles me.

I don't understand the mentality behind thinking the next installment will magically fix all the problems that Smash Wii U/3DS leaves behind. Like the roster not having "so and so", for example. No one even knows what the next game will be like, other than the fact it will play similarly to the previous installments to a degree. Like it always does. Beyond the obvious day 1 veterans, we have no idea what the roster will be like for a fact. We don't know if we will be losing a majority of the characters in this current roster. And if that does happen, we all know hell will be broke loose when people start demanding "so and so" who got cut over characters who have never even been in Smash. Heck, we very well may not even get anymore than a few, if any at all, in the next installment.

You can only reach so far into the barrel for characters until your roster becomes cluttered. The roster is starting to get to a point where it needs to stop adding characters before it leads to more issues. Things like balance or character attachments are bound to get worse if they proceed to add more. My point in all this is, you shouldn't just put off a character just so the next game can pick up the slack. The next game may very well not pick up any slack at all. Seriously. This ballot thing isn't to be taken lightly. People should just support the character they want to see instead of thinking the next game has their back covered.

That being said, I did a little bit of Smash art of Ninten if any Smash / Earthbound B. / Mother fans would care to see.

He isn't on the very top of my support list, but I would certainly enjoy him if he ever got in Smash. I doubt he really has much of a chance though, honestly. It would be interesting to see how they would modernize his design without making him look too much like Ness.
I can't help but think how many people will be disappointed if Smash 5 adds hardly any newcomers...especially if we're not getting too many new characters for DLC for this game that leaves a lot of potential fighters on the sidelines...That's probably one of the concepts that makes a Samsh game so hype worthy 'Which characters are going to be added?' If a new Smash game comes and only say two newcomers were added, that wouldn't generate a whole lot of interest...

----

I'm a little bamboozled by how much people are overestimating Shovel Knight's amiibo as near Smash confirmation...First of all...It isn't part of the Smash line-up...Having an amiibo does not coincide with being apart of Smash (Inklings, Toad, Chibi-Robo, Isabelle et al.), Also Yacht Club were 100% behind the production of the amiibo, Nintendo merely licensed it as an amiibo...This is just n example of people blowing things out of proportion...

Heck, some people find Shovel Knight more likely than K Rool...which also boggles my mind...Mii Costume revealed and all of a sudden K Rool is out of the running, which makes no sense since they revealed a Samus Mii Costume AT THE SAME FRIKKIN TIME!!!

Now I'm not saying that Shovel Knight is a bad choice, but I don't think he's anywhere near the best choice, especially when it comes to third parties...

IMO the most likely choices for Third party DLC:
Snake-Vet status is a huge factor here
Rayman-Trophies
Tails-already in the game, Luigi tier icon
Bomberman-gaming icon in his own right

After those I don't really see any other third parties getting in...Not even any Indies...

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I am aware. That's why I clarified in parentheses and am typically someone to call people out on that.

Chibo Robo isn't 3rd party. You're missing the point with that entirely. I had no idea who Shantae was before people brought her up, yet I've known Shovel Knight for a fairly long time.

If you're talking about adding a 3rd Party people know, then Snake should be the one added. He or Rayman are arguably the two most well known 3rd parties thrown around in Smash speculation. Layton doesn't even come close.
I didn't miss your point, my point was within 1st parties Chibi Robo isn't more likely than others, so why is Shovel Knight more likely than other third parties/indies? An Amiibo literally means nothing. Nintendo just wants people to pay them for the rights, Yacht Club did just that.

With legal issues from Snake, I doubt he's coming back. Who cares who is brought up in speculation either? Ryu wasn't brought up that often to my recollection. Layton is known worlwide, published by Nintendo in the West and until Layton 7 comes out on iOS, he has had a very strong connection with Nintendo. He's an icon for Puzzle games, and he and Wright made the Visual Novel/ Anime-esque stile games to the US. VNs are now pouring into the US with Fruit of Grisaia and Clannad now. It all started with Layton and Wright.

Snake isn't as well known as you think, especially by casual fans who are just starting with SMASH 4. Layton is played by both causal and hardcore fans.

Plus... Layton had lines recorded for two different games... Might mean something.

My point with bringing up Layton is that he's much more likely than Shovel Knight.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering the 3rd parties we've had have expansive gaming history, I DO think that it should be a very particular process by which they're added.

I'm not against Shovel Knight, but there are plenty of characters who, if going by gaming history standards, should be in before him and several others. Next in line, in my honest opinion is Snake. Metal Gear, Kojima and Snake have an incredible history in gaming, and have had appearances on Nintendo consoles. Something that each 3rd party has had.

If you boil down every 3rd party to that standard, it's not really as wide a margin as many think. Snake is a gaming icon just as much as Sonic, Mega Man and Ryu are. If you need evidence, just look at the social media buzz on MGSV. The hype that surrounded that game was immense. It's a series that came out way back when, around the time of Mario and Zelda, and it still has released stellar installments.

The problem I have with the "relationship with Nintendo" argument, is that it's used in no consistent way. Sonic has a "close relationship" because he's rivals with Mario. Let's ignore his history elsewhere and say that's the reason he got in. Not the legacy he created throughout his own history. Lets say that Mega Man ONLY got in because he appeared on Nintendo consoles, and not because he's a gaming icon that has spread to other platforms and created his own legacy.

Let's ignore the fact that a majority of Pac-Man's years...he's had very little to do with Nintendo. Pac-Man is a gaming icon from the arcade, to his worldwide popularity...that has nothing to do with Nintendo. Ryu has SF2 on NES, but what about the legacy of Street Fighter? It's had massive success for such a long time...and it only has a few games on Nintendo consoles. Historically, Street Fighter is massively successful in the gaming industry. The only part Nintendo has anything to do with is SF2. Yeah, his moveset takes inspiration from that game. But without the other games, Street Fighter wouldn't be what it is today. Nintendo can't take credit for that.

My point is, that every 3rd party so far is the creme of the crop. The series has appeared on Nintendo consoles from time to time, but Nintendo didn't make them who they have become. They've created their own legacy.

Snake has mainly appeared on Sony platforms. However, Ryu is pretty much the same way. You can't use it against one and not the other...especially when the other is currently in Smash, and the one has already BEEN IN Smash. Metal Gear is a AAA series that has stood the test of time and is legendary by gaming history standards. Hideo Kojima is a gaming legend in a similar vein to Miyamoto. He isn't the exact same to Miyamoto, but Kojima has contributed to the gaming industry in an amazing way with Metal Gear.

It's not about "repping" a company. That's not how things are decided. Sakurai doesn't sit there and think, "How can I represent X company with a character?". No, the character stands out on their own. Which characters/series have placed a significant impact on the industry in such a way? When you place characters in that specific lens, the choices go from "anyone under the sun" to "a small group".

Everybody has their favorite character, and that's okay. But to line up certain 3rd party characters with the likes of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu (or Snake for that matter) and justify their inclusion because they have Nintendo releases is asinine. There is so much more to it than that.

The Light Music Club The Light Music Club , outside the context of Smash, Metal Gear and Snake are waaaaaaaaaaaay more well known than Layton. It's not even close.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly, I feel Shantae should be in the game and not Shovel Knight, she's much more we'll known and has been around for such a long time, not to mention she's been Nintendo only, Shovel Knight has had it's exclusivity withdrawn and has been out for a year, so why him? Honestly, it boggles my mind.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, I feel Shantae should be in the game and not Shovel Knight, she's much more we'll known and has been around for such a long time, not to mention she's been Nintendo only, Shovel Knight has had it's exclusivity withdrawn and has been out for a year, so why him? Honestly, it boggles my mind.
Let me correct a few things, AS a Shantae fan.

1) Admittedly, Shovel Knight has become more known because of his game being more promoted when it came out by reviewers and such promoting the "New Age Retro Classic."

2) Shantae GB remains Nintendo only, but Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse were given steam versions after delayed exclusivity, granted, for longer than Shovel Knight iirc. Half-Genie Hero, however, will be multiplat from day 1.

3) She has the bigger history, more 'cemented" future with being part of a series. However, Shovel Knight having larger "spike" in the popularity push early on and the fact that he is appearently beating her to a proper eastern release gives him a few points ahead.

Edit: I'm expecting her to get an Amiibo when HGH happens, though.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I didn't miss your point, my point was within 1st parties Chibi Robo isn't more likely than others, so why is Shovel Knight more likely than other third parties/indies? An Amiibo literally means nothing. Nintendo just wants people to pay them for the rights, Yacht Club did just that.

With legal issues from Snake, I doubt he's coming back. Who cares who is brought up in speculation either? Ryu wasn't brought up that often to my recollection. Layton is known worlwide, published by Nintendo in the West and until Layton 7 comes out on iOS, he has had a very strong connection with Nintendo. He's an icon for Puzzle games, and he and Wright made the Visual Novel/ Anime-esque stile games to the US. VNs are now pouring into the US with Fruit of Grisaia and Clannad now. It all started with Layton and Wright.

Snake isn't as well known as you think, especially by casual fans who are just starting with SMASH 4. Layton is played by both causal and hardcore fans.

Plus... Layton had lines recorded for two different games... Might mean something.

My point with bringing up Layton is that he's much more likely than Shovel Knight.
A 3rd party character getting an amiibo is not the same thing as a 1st party getting one, no matter the scenario.

What legal issues? Same thing as getting any other 3rd party. Konami isn't leaving gaming, just AAA development. That's a different beast entirely.

Layton may be known worldwide, but there is no way he's more well known than Snake. Metal Gear has been around for nearly 30 years, and still sells millions. There's a reason why Metal Gear was a huge deal on social media during the last month or two. You don't see that for Layton. The fact that we're comparing Layton to Snake is mind boggling.

I would need actual proof to show Layton is more well known that Snake, because that pretty much screams bull**** to me. There's simply no way. MGS has been around for decades, has appeared across consoles and has sold millions upon millions of copies. Layton has primarily appeared on Nintendo consoles, and sure, they have a presence on other media. But there is simply no way, logically, that he would be more well known based on that alone.

If we're going to cherry pick and say that Snake shouldn't be added because of Casual fans who started with Smash 4, then why add any character they wouldn't be familiar with? That's silly.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Um...not only is Shovel Knight the only non-Smash third-party character to get an amiibo, there's a lot more involved with the thing than just the figure itself...it unlocks a ton of stuff for both versions of the game, so I imagine that's part of why it took so long.
It's a pretty big deal.
Yes.
Because it shows that unlike Isaac, Nintendo actually cares about the Chibi-Robo series instead of abandoning it like Golden Sun.
That amiibo is one of many things that puts Chibi-Robo above Isaac chance-wise.
Frankly, I honestly don't really think Shantae is more iconic than Shovel Knight. Longevity = notoriety. Shantae has been an obscure series for it's entire existence, Shovel Knight has been hyped up like crazy for nearly 3 years. They are at the same level at best.

And who pay?
Yacht Club Games is a huge fan of Nintendo and I imagine that a deal to get Shovel Knight in Smash would cost Nintendo next to nothing compared to say Sonic the Hedgehog or Mega Man. Part of the reason why it's feasible to happen.
If you mean the actual character's price itself, I don't care what anyone thinks, I'd buy Shovel Knight the moment he's released.
Different leak. There is a rumour that is considered to be fairly likely to be real (partially based on information that can't be disclosed yet)
But instead of Indies...
There is absolutely nothing that indicates this and it sounds very biased.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Let me correct a few things, AS a Shantae fan.

1) Admittedly, Shovel Knight has become more known because of his game being more promoted when it came out by reviewers and such promoting the "New Age Retro Classic."

2) Shantae GB remains Nintendo only, but Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse were given steam versions after delayed exclusivity, granted, for longer than Shovel Knight iirc. Half-Genie Hero, however, will be multiplat from day 1.

3) She has the bigger history, more 'cemented" future with being part of a series. However, Shovel Knight having larger "spike" in the popularity push early on and the fact that he is appearently beating her to a proper eastern release gives him a few points ahead.

Edit: I'm expecting her to get an Amiibo when HGH happens, though.
Thank you for the corrections. With all that said though, one of the developers for Pirate's Curse was the Japanese indie company, Inti Creates, who were responsible for Mega Mans Zero, 9, and 10, and Azure Striker Gunvolt, it's also why the art style looks as if it were an anime.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Thank you for the corrections. With all that said though, one of the developers for Pirate's Curse was the Japanese indie company, Inti Creates, who were responsible for Mega Mans Zero, 9, and 10, and Azure Striker Gunvolt, it's also why the art style looks as if it were an anime.
Who is returning for HGH.
But the fact remaining that none of the games so far (and this feature has not been stated for the upcoming title) has had the multilanguage flexibility for eastern markets is something that's held firmly against western indies in general, just so happens that Butt Butt and Shantae are the only two that namely get brought up.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Layton is known worlwide, published by Nintendo in the West and until Layton 7 comes out on iOS, he has had a very strong connection with Nintendo. He's an icon for Puzzle games, and he and Wright made the Visual Novel/ Anime-esque stile games to the US. VNs are now pouring into the US with Fruit of Grisaia and Clannad now. It all started with Layton and Wright.
Let me twist your entire argument on itself.

Metal Gear is also known worldwide, has been so for decades since 1987 while Layton is about 8 years old, and has ironically appeared on more Nintendo consoles than Layton(MG has surfaced on the NES, Game Boy Color, Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo 3DS while Layton can only boast being on the DS and 3DS). Snake is an icon for stealth games, and pretty much set the stage for major stealth based series like Syphon Filter, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, and even lighthearted games like Sly Cooper among others, while also influencing stealth aspects in games that aren't completely centered around it like Deus Ex. It all started with Snake.

You cannot seriously tell me that Professor Layton as a series and main character outclasses Metal Gear and Snake in this regard.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

WOAH!!!

Then again I had no idea who Megaman was until Smash 4's first trailers....so I can't chat sh.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Who is returning for HGH.
But the fact remaining that none of the games so far (and this feature has not been stated for the upcoming title) has had the multilanguage flexibility for eastern markets is something that's held firmly against western indies in general, just so happens that Butt Butt and Shantae are the only two that namely get brought up.
One other indie character is brought up however, Quote, the only indie character brought up for Smash speculation that was created in Japan, and has appeared in Japan (Shantae's game hasn't been released yet). His game has been more ported than both Sonic 1 and Contra, so he's definitely we'll known. In fact, Nicallas actually has a working model for his appearance in Smash, so why not?

Edit: I forgot about Commander Video, he's got a trophy, but it's not catagorized into his own series, so this could cause confusion.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Characters I didn't know of before they appeared in Smash.

:fox64::falcon64::ness64::samus64:
:drmario::falcomelee::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee::icsmelee:
:rob::pit::lucas:
:4shulk:(If not for Gematsu, which got me to dump into that game)

One other indie character is brought up however, Quote, the only indie character brought up for Smash that was created in Japan, and has appeared in Japan (Shantae's game hasn't been released yet). His game has been more ported than both Sonic 1 and Contra, so he's definitely we'll known. In fact, Nicallas actually has a working model for his appearance in Smash, so why not?
Because Quote is in gaming purgatory. No visible hopes for anything besides yet another re-release of his game. Shovel Knight at this point has gotten about as much expansion as Cave Story across only these 2 years.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Characters I didn't know of before they appeared in Smash.

:fox64::falcon64::ness64::samus64:
:drmario::falcomelee::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee::icsmelee:
:rob::pit::lucas:
:4shulk:(If not for Gematsu, which got me to dump into that game)

Because Quote is in gaming purgatory. No visible hopes for anything besides yet another re-release of his game.
So then that means that the only eligible indie choices would be Shantae and Shovel Knight I suppose. Not Ukalele, because their game isn't even out and having two Commander Video trophies in two separate places could cause confusion.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I just don't see why Shovel Knight should be in smash when he only has 1 game. It's too early to imo. There's no way of telling what his legacy might be in the future.

So personally I only see Shantae as the viable option for indies, despite SK's popularity.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Comparing Shantae to Shovel Knight is like comparing Golden Sun to Splatoon. I don't even find it fair to either character because both are highly desired. Who is to say we can't get both? Not saying we will, but is it really that alien of a thought?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I just don't see why Shovel Knight should be in smash when he only has 1 game.
It's :4greninja: not :4lucina: like :4robinm:we:4shulk:don't:4darkpit:have:4lucas:precedent:4duckhunt: for one game characters(at the time, though) already.

You can say that SK is third party and all but still.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Oh, there is a third....

Say hello to Lemeza Kosugi, an archaelogist following in his father's footsteps in the hopes of finding the truth of the ancient ruins off La Mulana! Starting off as an old MSX game, it was known for its archeic puzzles, Dark Souls-tier lore, and expansive metroidvania goodness in collectables, weaponry, and "bonuses" with the unique software combination mode.

Ultimately, through fans support, in 2012 it came out with a rerelease in better graphics, changed puzzles, and extra game modes as a Wiiware exclusive title which ultimately moved to Steam about a year ago.

What then, is the future for the game after being a bit of a cult classic that had just a remastery 3 years ago?

The fully funded sequel which last year went almost 140% of it's goal on Kickstarter and released a demo of the first major region of the new ruins, starring Lemeza's daughter, once again visited by the ancient guide of Mulbruk, tracing her father's steps after he has been lost after his victory in the first game!

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Comparing Shantae to Shovel Knight is like comparing Golden Sun to Splatoon. I don't even find it fair to either character because both are highly desired. Who is to say we can't get both? Not saying we will, but is it really that alien of a thought?
Perhaps eventually we will get both.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Also, VNs here in the States did not start with Layton and Wright. I'd like to point you in the direction of stuff like Grim Fandango, Myst, various old school MUDs, and I could go on---a precedent that goes back decades. There is literally no distinction between VNs and adventure games besides levels of interactivity (which varies, East or West) and aesthetic.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Anyway....in terms of 3rd parties & indies only.

Order of my view on who's the most likely;
1.Snake
2.Shovel Knight
3.Shantea
4.Bayonetta
5. Rayman, Bomberman, stuff.

Order of Want
1.Bayonetta
2.Snake
3.Rayman
4.Shantae
5.Dragon Quest something (slime, hero ect)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh, there is a third....

Say hello to Lemeza Kosugi, an archaelogist following in his father's footsteps in the hopes of finding the truth of the ancient ruins off La Mulana! Starting off as an old MSX game, it was known for its archeic puzzles, Dark Souls-tier lore, and expansive metroidvania goodness in collectables, weaponry, and "bonuses" with the unique software combination mode.

Ultimately, through fans support, in 2012 it came out with a rerelease in better graphics, changed puzzles, and extra game modes as a Wiiware exclusive title which ultimately moved to Steam about a year ago.

What then, is the future for the game after being a bit of a cult classic that had just a remastery 3 years ago?

The fully funded sequel which last year went almost 140% of it's goal on Kickstarter and released a demo of the first major region of the new ruins, starring Lemeza's daughter, once again visited by the ancient guide of Mulbruk, tracing her father's steps after he has been lost after his victory in the first game!
Hm very interesting, I can definitely see that being a posibility, especially if it was originally a Nintendo only game. Not to mention it's fanbase being pretty vocal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom