• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK: Video Archive, including "Hall of Fame"

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you play a very different DK, I only saw 1 bair hit in each singles game

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I've deleted a BUNCH from the first post, still need to filter out the character section and update with stuff...

UPDATE- Cleaned out character section
UPDATE UPDATE- All done.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Great spacing, HOT videos, that is seriously the best Ganon I"ve seen so far in Brawl, and brahma wins. =P

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf’s a beast! That was some amazing stuff, Brahma — especially the first match. So was there another round, or did it end in a tie? :O

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
i think there was more than that but it was longer than replay would allow

anyway, this sunday i'm going to a tournament with some of the best in socal, if i do well expect a lot of videos up

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the compliments guys. Those were just a few online casuals though, so there wasn't a 3rd match. My bro Swoops should be coming back to Indiana at the end of the month so I'll have to get some more vids. Need to get back into DK too, been playing with Ness a lot.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Brahma, I've seen both sets of your videos, and you have a very solid DK. Your spacing is great and your match-ups are fun to watch.

Keep up the good work and please tell Swoops that as well. =)

Hopefully I'll be able to post some of my videos by mid-summer, once I get a Wii-video adapter.

mp1776120

Smash Rookie
****, nice vids, Brahma.
May I ask you something?
Did you choose to main DK because of his similarities to Jack-5 from Tekken?

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
ttttttthhhhhrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee stocked!!! xD. Very nice DK Brahma, I didnt know you were this good.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
****, nice vids, Brahma.
May I ask you something?
Did you choose to main DK because of his similarities to Jack-5 from Tekken?
Haha, close. It was the other way around. I use DK in everything he is playable in.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm hoping to take my DK to some tournaments over the summer and get some results.

Also, I've got plenty more DK vids to upload, so I'll just post my Youtube List

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I take it you've never played a good Ganon. No lag Dair puts out a hitbox that if spaced correctly can stuff DK's Bair and Ftilt approaches, and he can follow it immediately with a jab or >B. DK's tech and big hitbox mean that Ganon can techtrap DK pretty easily after >B.

Ganon can kill DK around the hundred percent range, and I've been killed several times around 80% by Fair, that's lower % than most of the cast can KO him at. Ganon can spike DK better than a lot of the cast, actually managing to cut through UpB priority with his Dair and DownB.

DK can shut down a lot of Ganondorf's game though, he zones him really well, and he holds the advantage in the match, but Ganondorf puts up a good fight.

Do you care to elaborate on your argument on DK vs. Ganon? That is, if you have anything to say other than "Ganondorf is teh slow".

Nicktendo

Smash Ace

Soyaku

Smash Rookie

crifer

Smash Lord
only saw the first match but
less usmash
i think u should use more back air or double bair and ftilt to approach,
and u could sometimes easily get a free side b,
u have to work on ur timing,
there is potential in dk!

Soyaku

Smash Rookie
only saw the first match but
less usmash
i think u should use more back air or double bair and ftilt to approach,
and u could sometimes easily get a free side b,
u have to work on ur timing,
there is potential in dk!
Oh I completely agree, I'm nowhere near where I need to be as DK.

Thank you for the critique, my ears are always open for it.

Side Note: These were online matches.

~Soyaku

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Soyaku: Decent DK vids. A few things I noticed:

You roll too much. Up close you can be easily punished, and even far away you can catch a Shiek Needle, PK fire, or Falco Blaster. If you're having trouble with those projectiles, jump over is usually a better option. Rolling backwards takes you away from Shiek, which allows her to charge and fire needles, so she can just sit back and take shots at you until you approach her. DK needs to be close to get hits in, so stay close to your opponent, but just outside their range. Shielding is also very beneficial to DK since he punishes very well, and is usually preferential to rolling.

If you're facing a good projectile character, be careful about charging your punch on the ground. They can needle/blaster to interrupt it and you lose the charge. You can shield/roll during the windup but it's still somewhat risky. You do a good job charging when they're high up or dead. If they're off the stage, it's usually better to go for an edgegaurd to get the kill, rather than charage a punch and let them get back easily. You can also charge with one or two swing as you jump, which can allow you to charge and turn in the air at the same time.

You jump and use DJ over the opponent a lot. This is bad because DK doesn't really have any defense below him in the air. Dair is slow and laggy, and about the only option he has is airdodge. Zelda in particular can usually keep you from getting back to ground with Usmash spam. Try to stay in front or below the opponent as it's where DK is strongest. You had some good usage of >B to stall and avoid attacks.

Don't jump forward facing them. DK's only real options here are Nair, Punch, and >B. All of which can be interrupted or shielded and punished. If you're going to jump and approach a character on the ground, make sure you're facing backwards so you can Bair. If they're in the air, most characters have attacks that can outspeed DK's Nair and Fair, giving him little options other than airdodge in an air to air situation.

Be careful with SH Fair as it lags pretty bad on the ground. If it's shielded or misses most characters get a free smash. You used it well off the stage, it has good range, power/spike, and recovers decently. The farther off you can jump and Fair the better since it forces to opponent to make a quick decision that could result in them missing the ledge, and also you can always use your double jump to Bair or Uair them if they get past you.

If you grab at low %, use down throw or cargo throw for better followups. Bthrow should be saved up until higher % where it can KO or at least get people offstage. If you grab around 40% near the edge, you should almost always go for cargo stage spike (CSS).

Use Utilt over Usmash at low %. It combos better and you want to save Usmash for a kill.

Watch your Fsmash spacing. You whiffed a standing Fsmash a few times when a walf forward Fsmash would have been a free kill. Always know the range of Fsmash. Punch too, I saw you throw it out a few times when you weren't anywhere near in range. Punch doesn't have a lot of range anymore, it's best used a a counter attack of sorts. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha, close. It was the other way around. I use DK in everything he is playable in.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm hoping to take my DK to some tournaments over the summer and get some results.

Also, I've got plenty more DK vids to upload, so I'll just post my Youtube List
hey bro did you get any videos from Smash and Coffee?

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
hey bro did you get any videos from Smash and Coffee?
No unfortunately I didn't. I had some real good matches too. Came pretty close to taking a few rounds from Joshu's Dedede, went a close 1-2 with Tink's Wario, beat ZJiin's Snake pretty good, and some other good stuff. Next time I think I'm going to bring an SD card so I can save some replays.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Lesse if I can get any ackowledgment out of these.

Kalm vs 7734! DK ditto matches!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doAuOIj3CYg *NS*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmeU0AUWPE *NS*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF-yVucyzUk
Kalm: Nice DK matches. I did see a few things though.

First off, you roll way too much. Roll shouldn't be your primary means of movement, as it's slow and you're stuck in animation so you can't respond to anything your opponent does. Roll should only be used to avoid a specific attack.

Be a little more careful with your punch. At high level it's not going to be as easy to get a full charge as thye will be pressuring you. Don't jump right in with it unless you're pretty sure the opponent will attack and you can SA through it. Otherwise the opponent is likely to shield and punish. Also, try not to SA big damage moves, unless you're sure it's a kill. There's no sense eating 30% from SAing DK's Fsmash when you could have just as easily shielded and punished. Also, if they're off the stage, get on or two winds then edgeguard. DK has a great edgegame and you can easily get kills here. Don't let them get a free ride back to the edge just for a full punch charge. You had a lot of good useage of walkup punch in dealing with getups and rolls though.

A lot of dash attack, which is punishable by shield grab. That's a habit you'll have to break.

A little too much Usmash too. If you're going to use it, try to use it from a dash to better get under platforms. Also, by using it a lot, you diminish its killing power.

Another thing I saw is you use Bthrow a lot. IMO, Dthrow has much better followups and damage potential, especially at early %. Dthrow > Ftilt is free at 0% for 17% damage.

Be careful about SHing Fair. It's very punishable. Only SH it if you're going off the edge or trying to hit someone near the edge.

Ftilt isn't a solve-all move. If you're up close at point blank range, try jab, Dtilt, or runaway SH Bair instead. Up close Ftilt is easily shield grabbed.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Kalm: Nice DK matches. I did see a few things though.

First off, you roll way too much. Roll shouldn't be your primary means of movement, as it's slow and you're stuck in animation so you can't respond to anything your opponent does. Roll should only be used to avoid a specific attack.

Be a little more careful with your punch. At high level it's not going to be as easy to get a full charge as thye will be pressuring you. Don't jump right in with it unless you're pretty sure the opponent will attack and you can SA through it. Otherwise the opponent is likely to shield and punish. Also, try not to SA big damage moves, unless you're sure it's a kill. There's no sense eating 30% from SAing DK's Fsmash when you could have just as easily shielded and punished. Also, if they're off the stage, get on or two winds then edgeguard. DK has a great edgegame and you can easily get kills here. Don't let them get a free ride back to the edge just for a full punch charge. You had a lot of good useage of walkup punch in dealing with getups and rolls though.

A lot of dash attack, which is punishable by shield grab. That's a habit you'll have to break.

A little too much Usmash too. If you're going to use it, try to use it from a dash to better get under platforms. Also, by using it a lot, you diminish its killing power.

Another thing I saw is you use Bthrow a lot. IMO, Dthrow has much better followups and damage potential, especially at early %. Dthrow > Ftilt is free at 0% for 17% damage.

Be careful about SHing Fair. It's very punishable. Only SH it if you're going off the edge or trying to hit someone near the edge.

Ftilt isn't a solve-all move. If you're up close at point blank range, try jab, Dtilt, or runaway SH Bair instead. Up close Ftilt is easily shield grabbed.
I take it from the quote you only watched a couple videos. The ones with no sound are a lot older, especially the 2 DK ditto matches with no sound.

Dash Attack is something I may possibly use once per match and no more now. I think the Usmash thing was a lag issue where I kept trying to hyphen smash or I dunno what, they did look way out of place. You don't see those in newer videos either. Yeah Dthrow is great at low % to combo with, but at higher % I try to Bthrow because it does more base damage and seperates me and the opponent better, which compliments my defensive game the way it is now. SH Fair could have been nothing more than a lag or careless mistake. I know the only practical common aerieals are Nair and Bair. Fair SHing is ******** to the max when a spike can't be involved.
Ftilt is a nasty move, with correct spacing. Any time I used it at too close of range it was an obvious mistake I knew I should have been slapped for.

Ah well, thanks for the words.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Kalm, I like your DK, but what I really like is the bit in your sig. "If you lose and you're not online, blame being too used to lag." Bahahaha, on the rare occasion that I play Brawl locally, I john like mad about this for at least the first five matches.

Top Bottom