• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

cybersai

Smash Ace
Probably the only thing all these different insiders keep agreeing on is there's definitely a Square rep coming. If that's true there's only 4 DLC slots left. We'll probably get right down to the wire.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Isabelle might have been Sakurai's choice, but even if she wasn't, she likely would have been a corporate mandate anyway. Nintendo has been pushing her for six years now to be the mascot of Animal Crossing. I'm surprised but glad she wasn't in Smash 4 over Villager.
I'm glad she's further proof that ATs could be promoted someday.

Meanwhile, Ashley is SOL, since they don't seem to push her as much anymore.

PolarPanda is saying some interesting things about Mii outfits being possible de-confirmations, but isn't sure about Dixie's mii hat over in the Geno thread. You guys might want to take a look at his posts over there since he's being fed inside information. Yes I know we're sick of insiders, but I take what I can get.
Also, he'll be saying something compromising about Hitagi...

Probably the only thing all these different insiders keep agreeing on is there's definitely a Square rep coming. If that's true there's only 4 DLC slots left. We'll probably get right down to the wire.
Hope to God those will get supported, PolarPanda PolarPanda 's latest info reveals that a Wave 2 depends on it (alongside trying to balance things).

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
With this thought....am I the only one who would’ve been perfectly fine with the cut veterans not coming back in order to have had these characters?
Dixie, Elma, captain Toad and more recent titles really would be amazing.
I’m happy the veterans are back...but I would rather have these instead :(
I kinda agree tbh. The only cut newcomer I was happy to see return was Wolf. I remember all of us thinking he was a shoe-in for Smash DLC due to Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo returning and Star Fox Zero was on the horizon (one of Wii U's last big supposed "hurrahs"). Not to mention Wolf was my main alongside DK in Brawl. Snake could've been left out he always felt out of place IMO, Pichu is weaker Pikachu, Young Link isn't very relevant and is just tinier/faster link which we already had a replacement for with Toon Link (the best Link), Ice Climbers returning is the only one I'm sorta okay with because they were developed for Wii U but couldn't make it due to 3DS limitations so their development were probably the quickest/easiest.

Tbh I really don't think "Everyone is here" is the reason we didn't get more newcomers but the lack of development time was. This is the quickest a Smash game has come out since the last since Smash 64 and Melee. While I'm hyped as hell for Ultimate, let's be honest with ourselves Ultimate while packing a lot of content is also lacking in some previous features as well. Seems like Nintendo has a habit of releasing games with less content/features than previous entries to release games faster and then release the rest as DLC in the future. Super Mario Party only has 4 incredibly small lifeless game boards, 10 mini-games to play online, and 3 other tacked on modes, Mario Tennis Aces lacked content from day one and Nintendo is slowly adding in more modes and characters (that are already on disc btw) over time, Mario Power Tennis on the GCN has more content (even if the core gameplay isn't as fun as Aces), Splatoon 2 launched pretty bare as well (not as bare and lacking in content as Splatoon on Wii U did) and is building it's content over time. Splatoon 2 was like a 6.5/10 game at launch and now the game is a 9.5/10 game. ARMS is another game that lacked content modes to get out at a deadline that received a few months of updates/characters that should've been there at launch. Kirby Star Allies is another game that is trickling out extra content to make up for the fact that the game was short and extremely mediocre at launch (I don't know if the updates improved anything as Star Allies was so easy, mediocre, and boring that I never finished it).

While Ultimate is DEFINITELY nowhere near as bad as those games I previously mentioned and it's the only game I've been this HYPED for in a LONG time, let's be real Trophies didn't come back because their was no development time to dedicate to them so instead we get PNG's known as Spirits with event mode rolled into one. All-Star mode is now just a variation on multi-man smash due to lack of development time. No Stage builder, home-run contest, break the targets, or any other stadium event mode due to lack of development time. I think Nintendo knew that 2018 wasn't gonna be a good year for them and they needed something other than a divisive gen 1 Pokemon remake for the holidays and to reach their 20 million Switch's sold in the fiscal year quota so they pushed Sakurai and the team to get Smash Ultimate out this year. I believe if let's say Animal Crossing came out this year and Smash next year Ultimate not only would've had a few more echoes/Newcomers (Dixie probably being one of them) but more classic returning modes/features as well. Obviously if Sakurai and the team wanted they could go the Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Kirby Star Allies route and release free content updates with modes outside of the paid fighters pass. But for now we just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I do think Ultimate could have been pushed back to 2019 but Nintendo wanted it out this year

StormC

Smash Hero
Tbh I really don't think "Everyone is here" is the reason we didn't get more newcomers but the lack of development time was. This is the quickest a Smash game has come out since the last since Smash 64 and Melee.
The timeline for the release is technically longer than any Smash game before it.

The design document was drafted in December 2015, and as far as we know, production started in early 2016. So 3 years from start to finish, maybe 2.75 years of actual development. Smash 4's design document was settled on around April/May 2012, while Smash 3DS first came out in September 2014, a little around 2.5 years from start to finish.

Sakurai said at E3 that the number one goal was bringing back every single veteran, so that seems to indeed be the bulk of development. He's also said that every time they add a character, each of their moves have to be tested against every single character. The more characters get added, the more time it takes to develop each one. That's not accounting for characters like the Zelda cast that got totally retooled. So like I said before, while we can't really determine how much each cut veteran took individually, we can evaluate in a general sense that they took up the biggest time and resources.

I agree though that the game is just barely coming out. I'm sure Nintendo wishes it could be released before Black Friday.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The timeline for the release is technically longer than any Smash game before it.

The design document was drafted in December 2015, and as far as we know, production started in early 2016. So 3 years from start to finish, maybe 2.75 years of actual development. Smash 4's design document was settled on around April/May 2012, while Smash 3DS first came out in September 2014, a little around 2.5 years from start to finish.

Sakurai said at E3 that the number one goal was bringing back every single veteran, so that seems to indeed be the bulk of development. He's also said that every time they add a character, each of their moves have to be tested against every single character. The more characters get added, the more time it takes to develop each one. That's not accounting for characters like the Zelda cast that got totally retooled. So like I said before, while we can't really determine how much each cut veteran took individually, we can evaluate in a general sense that they took up the biggest time and resources.

I agree though that the game is just barely coming out. I'm sure Nintendo wishes it could be released before Black Friday.
In any case, I find this fair. You cut out the excess fat of the usual side modes (probably for the better, since Target Blast and Smash Tour won't be missed) and trophies, and focus on the essential meat and potatoes: balancing. While not perfect, it's the best it's ever been so far, which paints a nice picture of how post-launch could go.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Random Question: Do you guys/gals think DLC characters will be added to the official mural or do you think they will be left out completely? I definitely want to get one of those in poster form for my room but don't want to get it until it's "fully complete" be a shame if Dixie is added as DLC she doesn't get added to the mural.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Random Question: Do you guys/gals think DLC characters will be added to the official mural or do you think they will be left out completely? I definitely want to get one of those in poster form for my room but don't want to get it until it's "fully complete" be a shame if Dixie is added as DLC she doesn't get added to the mural.
I do believe the DLC characters will be added to the mural because, how can you have ''Everyone Is Here!'' If don't include the DLC characters as well? It wouldn't make sense to exclude the DLC characters from the mural.

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering that I feel like the selection of newcomers was excellent even with limited space, I'm fine with Everyone Is Here. It was a HUGE hype moment for both casual and hardcore fans, even if the only veterans I wanted back were Snake and Wolf, and the perfect example of Sakurai finding a way to blow fans' expectations out of the water while also giving them something they didn't even know they wanted. I still get chills from the trailer.

With only five unique newcomers and one semi-clone, you could have done a lot worse with trying to cover as much ground as possible.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
With this thought....am I the only one who would’ve been perfectly fine with the cut veterans not coming back in order to have had these characters?
I would've been alright if Young Link and Pichu didn't come back lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For me: all the veterans, K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon make me completely satisfied with this game alone. There are still some characters I want, but after everything we've gotten, anybody else moving forward is really a bonus at this point.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Dixie got in the base roster I'd probably hop off the Smash speculation train forever, she's the last character I feel *needs* to be there, anyone else is a bonus.

I wanted Skull Kid, like the idea of Banjo, Geno, Captain Toad etc,...but if they don't ever happen it's not that big a deal. All the A-list Nintendo all-stars would be there and I'd be fine with it. Just the lack of Dixie, who should have been in Smash U by the latest, is the only thing that bugs me about the roster.

It just feels incomplete without her. Any other character is "nice to have" but the fact that they're not there really isn't that big a deal.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Dixie got in the base roster I'd probably hop off the Smash speculation train forever, she's the last character I feel *needs* to be there, anyone else is a bonus.

I wanted Skull Kid, like the idea of Banjo, Geno, Captain Toad etc,...but if they don't ever happen it's not that big a deal. All the A-list Nintendo all-stars would be there and I'd be fine with it. Just the lack of Dixie, who should have been in Smash U by the latest, is the only thing that bugs me about the roster.

It just feels incomplete without her. Any other character is "nice to have" but the fact that they're not there really isn't that big a deal.
She is really the last remaining piece of the puzzle to make the roster perfect.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie is definitely the biggest omission from the roster but if there's anything Smash speculation has taught me over the last decade, it's be thankful for what you get. I'll probably be moved on from speculation by the time Smash 6 is on the horizon. I'll play it but I doubt I'll be heavily invested in the roster.

If Dixie doesn't get in even with DLC, will that suck? Yeah. But you rarely get everything you want in life. Considering that Sakurai made the impossible possible time and time again (all veterans, Ridley, K. Rool), I am pretty content overall. I'm in a much happier place than I was with Smash 4, that's for sure.

Not speaking for anyone else, of course, just my own stance. As a diehard K. Rool supporter, I really wish both could have gotten in at the same time.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
At least we can enjoy Swanky Kong's return from relative obscurity:

He's in, guys, we did it.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
"The enemy is easily distracted by items", one day I hope I am able to make my personal fanon canon like Sakurai can.

#SheKilledWrinklyIKnowSheDid

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
There are two characters other than Dixie Kong that I feel "deserve" to be in at this point, though they're not brought up often so I don't think many will agree.

Lyn - Yeah, I know, a Fire Emblem character. In a perfect setting, Lyn would have taken the place of Ike or Corrin, but timing was never on her side. It's how FE works since it rarely re-uses characters, but, for example, if I were to pick the FE cast today assuming seniority doesn't matter, I'd first add Marth, then Lyn, then Robin. Marth represents the beginning and the Kaga era, Lyn represents the GBA and the series' international release, and Robin represents the 3DS and the series' rise to fame. If I could add one more, it would be Anna for being a sort of mascot and appearing in nearly every FE game to date.

A Style Savvy character - While not exactly on par with Nintendo's biggest hits, this series is quite successful, certainly more so than some already in Smash, but its audience doesn't have much overlap with Smash fans, which is likely why it only gets the bare minimum representation. I'm not sure if there's another living Nintendo franchise more successful than Style Savvy that doesn't have a playable rep already. And hey, if Wii Fit Trainer and Miis can get in...

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
She is really the last remaining piece of the puzzle to make the roster perfect.
I definitely agree with this post which is why she's the only one I'm asking for however I think what StormC StormC said "But you rarely get everything you want in life." Is pretty much why I'm not going to let Dixie's absence hurt my satisfaction for Ultimate since there's so much to enjoy(76 characters, 103 stages & well thought out 1p modes) It's almost overwhelming how much there is to enjoy, I also appreciate the newcomers too (especially Isabelle) so honestly I can't help to be content on what I have as well.

Life is never always going to go your way but it's always best to look on the bright side.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I was never thrilled by the "Everyone is back" tag. Yes, Wolf et. al always deserved to be back, but characters like Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link and even Snake and Roy were always questionable choices that I could care less if they didn't return. If losing potential new characters so that these veterans could come back and we could celebrate an "ALL characters are here!" reunion, then be my guest. I'd have rather have a bigger newcomer list, no questions asked.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
A Style Savvy character - While not exactly on par with Nintendo's biggest hits, this series is quite successful, certainly more so than some already in Smash, but its audience doesn't have much overlap with Smash fans, which is likely why it only gets the bare minimum representation. I'm not sure if there's another living Nintendo franchise more successful than Style Savvy that doesn't have a playable rep already. And hey, if Wii Fit Trainer and Miis can get in...
I'd say Rhythm Heaven and Style Savvy are the only two "big" currently ongoing Nintendo series without a playable character in Smash yet. ARMS is a single game atm but if there were plans for a sequel or something I'd put that in too.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If you notice Sakurai is also very picky about all new franchises getting reps in Smash. You have to be a huge new hit like Splatoon, a Miyamoto created franchise like Pikmin, or a highly requested retro turned revival character like Pit and Little Mac to get in.

I mean I thought ARMS would have been a shoo-in for DLC given ARMS is the only new franchise Nintendo created for the Switch....and Spring Man was immediately thrown into an Assist trophy instead. Shows what I know. It's likely why all of these "second and third tier" Nintendo franchises people keep asking for are always relegated to assist trophies or spirits and nothing more. Or franchises dormant like Golden Sun.

If you think about it, all these franchises haven't gotten in:

- Advance Wars
- Golden Sun
- Custom Robo
- Chibi Robo
- Sin and Punishment
- Starfy
- Wonderful 101
- Dillion
- Rhythm Heaven
etc.

A lot of Nintendo's secondary/third tier franchises have never gotten playable reps or missed their chances. Had F-zero and Earthbound not been active franchises at the time of Smash 64 or Melee....Captain Falcon may have never been playable either, same with Ness and Lucas.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'd say Rhythm Heaven and Style Savvy are the only two "big" currently ongoing Nintendo series without a playable character in Smash yet. ARMS is a single game atm but if there were plans for a sequel or something I'd put that in too.
I'd also argue Warioware is another series without a "rep" I mean yes their's Wario and he's more inspired by his Ware appearances than anything else but it's Wario he's a mario spin-off character, has 2 series to himself. But IMO to truly represent Warioware I feel it should be someone who originated in Wario Ware like Ashley, Mona, Jimmy T., 9-Volt, etc.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I sometimes wonder if Sakurai views the entire Mario universe all as one thing, which is why despite Wario, Yoshi and Donkey Kong having different rep icons in the game itself, he just views the whole Mario universe as one thing.

Probably the same reason there's never been another Wario or Yoshi rep, he probably just doesn't consider them. If Luigi's Mansion existed before Smash 64, Luigi probably would have had a Luigi's Mansion icon too instead of a Mario one. Then people would be asking for Prof. E Gadd and King Boo more often, lol

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yoshi I can understand because there are very few characters exclusive to the Yoshi series--even Poochy recently made a cameo in Super Mario Odyssey. But WarioWare is super distinct, has nothing to do with Mario aside from some microgame references. I wouldn't mind another character from that series at all.

It's been a few days. Does anyone have something they'd like for me to post on the Twitter? Ideally I'd like to keep the page going indefinitely, even after she eventually gets into Smash, so...can't exhaust the fanart in the OP yet, lol.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Breaking news: Crunchii found an extra life balloon.

Oh, never mind, he went the fan-made remix route, apparently, since there's a Robocop remix in here.

On the bright side, Fate Zero has some of the current music uploads and won't be noticed for now: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0RrkcsXybeV_uu5VuWRtOg/videos
Damn you! I got so excited for Hot Head Bop... :( But I think the only 4 remixes DK has Snakey Chantey, Crocodile Cacaphony, Gangplank Galleon, and DK/DKJr. medley have all been found through data mines. Yeah it's no Castlevania line-up of remixes but all 4 remixes are fantastic and may be some of the best in the entire soundtrack. Quality over Quantity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Damn you! I got so excited for Hot Head Bop... :( But I think the only 4 remixes DK has Snakey Chantey, Crocodile Cacaphony, Gangplank Galleon, and DK/DKJr. medley have all been found through data mines. Yeah it's no Castlevania line-up of remixes but all 4 remixes are fantastic and may be some of the best in the entire soundtrack. Quality over Quantity.
To be fair, I'm the one that got fooled first. :facepalm: Only way it would be more insulting is if there was a Never Gonna Give You Up remix on the Crunchii channel.

That said, the bonus theme/map theme has been uploaded some time ago too, and that's cracking good as well, though Fate Zero has sadly not got to it yet. Edit: Wait, never mind, it is on his page. :b:

Edit 2: Damn it, they're sped-up versions, none of the other uploaders do this. :glare: Anyway, I'm done reporting on music until the 7th happens.

I'm almost certain this is a new remix as well:
Yup, that's the one I was referring to.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I just now saw the mii hat. Not sure how I feel about it. If she isn't DLC I'm happy she is at least represented that way. It's something, I guess.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity is Dixie the only new Mii character that ONLY got a hat and not a body? As far as I can tell every other new Mii character costume like Rex, Isaac, Spring Man, Saki, Chibi Robo, etc. got both a hat and body. Dixie is the only one who didn't?

For all we know the reason Dixie's hair looks so detailed is they ripped it off a working DLC model of her and just gave it to us early to tide us over till then. Possible theory.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'd also argue Warioware is another series without a "rep" I mean yes their's Wario and he's more inspired by his Ware appearances than anything else but it's Wario he's a mario spin-off character, has 2 series to himself. But IMO to truly represent Warioware I feel it should be someone who originated in Wario Ware like Ashley, Mona, Jimmy T., 9-Volt, etc.
I personally disagree here. While Ware may be more popular in Japan, I believe the Wario platformers are much more deserving in having a playable character. This is one of my problems with Smash is how they represent Wario Land which is pretty nonexistent. It's the series that made Wario such a memorable character yet there hasn't been any stage from any Land or World game. It has gotten somewhat better with the few spirits of Syrup, Shake King, and the WL4 princess. I feel his moveset should be more inspired from those games but hey at least they brought back the Shoulder Bash and a few of his moves reference those games. There are so many moves from those games that they can use, but they haven't. It's really frustrating as a Wario Land/World fan to see those games get the shaft in favor of Ware.

Captain Syrup, to me, is more deserving of a playable character than the entire WarioWare cast. She goes way back to the start of the series when she was the antagonist of the first two games and then a support character in Shake It. Even the Virtual Boy Wario Land was a inspiration to DKC Returns in regards to the switch between the background and the foreground. I like the WarioWare games, but Wario Land deserves so much more recognition than it has gotten in the past decade.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dixie is definitely the biggest omission from the roster but if there's anything Smash speculation has taught me over the last decade, it's be thankful for what you get. I'll probably be moved on from speculation by the time Smash 6 is on the horizon. I'll play it but I doubt I'll be heavily invested in the roster.

If Dixie doesn't get in even with DLC, will that suck? Yeah. But you rarely get everything you want in life. Considering that Sakurai made the impossible possible time and time again (all veterans, Ridley, K. Rool), I am pretty content overall. I'm in a much happier place than I was with Smash 4, that's for sure.

Not speaking for anyone else, of course, just my own stance. As a diehard K. Rool supporter, I really wish both could have gotten in at the same time.
I guess that's the hard part for me here - seeing as I personally didn't care for K.Rool back in the day, even if I went all my way to send votes for him too to help out the Kutthroats. And now I'm here again, feeling like all the characters I longed for from my childhood or other personal parts of gaming to speculate about, got constantly shafted for over 10 years by now.

There's been claims from Sakurai that imply "2nd-rate Nintendo-series" will always be irrelevant enough to be AT-material or just outright removed (Golden Sun between 4 and Ultimate). I'd be fine with that if so, especially if they just said this probably years ago - but even then, some characters that might be all eligible aren't even considered because I guess, they just weren't "interesting enough": ergo how Piranha Plant was picked over Toad after all these years, perhaps. D

ixie's absence meanwhile is very strange still, but I'll be just chalking it to her not being enough on Sakurai's eyes to be made over a character on her own right despite her signature traits, and coupled with K.Rool taking more priority, she got passed over while fans get a hat as a consolation.

It's gonna make this installment and it's DLC feels weird to me quite a bit- I do like getting Richter definitely, he was really a big unexpected throw-in of a "newcomer" for me - but I personally never expected the guy in Smash over these years since seeing how he was in obscurity-land back when I played RoB and around 2015 (while the Castlevania Pachinko-crap reared its head about with it's wacky redesigns on the characters). Daisy and Chrom are nice inclusions for my personal end too, but again, Daisy feels more an Alt.character at times when you take away her unique animations, and Chrom's become so pathetic of a meme material that I wasn't feeling exactly cathartic at his inclusion.

Then I'm reminded of the times I just had to settle on Lemmy Koopa out of all the characters as the one that felt anything close to me out of all characters in 4, at least if talking about characters I very much enjoyed back the day. Greninja I didn't expect to be in Smash, and didn't exactly bother using despite having picked Froakie right back in January 2013 when X&Y was shown first time with it's starters. Palutena I think fell off for me after I found her characterization little too iffy for my tastes, and how the fans twisted it too far. (And she wasn't entirely well-implemented due the custom moves junk, that is). Robin and Pac-Man felt good, but I had to be real, that's merely what they were going for, and I just didn't feel much personal investment with them prior to Smash, compared to likes of Dixie, Toad, Starfy, Tingle, Lip, etc - all which I liked to play games of and was very invested on the characters beyond Smash prior.

On that side, it then makes makes me think of the absence of Wario Land-Wario in Smash, the version of Wario I grew up with since child - how he could have been my go-to main in Smash-games all the time and I'd been happy to pitch against K.Rool or other "new rivals in town" as that personal Smasher for me to compete with. But he never will be - like, there's the Shoulder Bash, but apparently it was brought back by "demand" after we got interviews like this regarding why didn't have it in 4.

In general, Ware-Wario just never struck chord with me, which is made even worse when technically, WL-games died away since Wario was portrayed "more accurately" since Brawl. I wrote a whole thing on that here, if you want to see more.

It'd probably go back to appreciating Diddy Kong after all these years, even if I've not been coming back on the guy since Brawl much as a main. But again, I feel like Brawl added ton of characters that made sense to expand the roster with. Like, imagine if Dedede constantly was missing, and then they add Knuckle Joe instead into Smash, just because he'd be more interesting fighter-wise that Dedede was.

Does this make Ultimate "bad", for me? Far from it - the roster's just phenomenal by it's own end, believe me. But in means of personal character investments that weren't "forced" on me, I feel very left-out since Brawl. And it's more apparent than ever, now that we've all reasonings and deconfirmations laid out, and DLC's gonna be on the horizon anyway. I'd be just fine with Dixie this time, and I'd call Smash's roster as good as it can get for me.

I don't think it's gonna ruin the game much, but it makes me wish that things went other ways at times. I can only take in so many 3rd Parties that I'm not personally invested in, while ones that I am into get shafted about, like Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie (uh?) or Bomberman to a lesser degree. I'll just be glad I got Richter in that case, but it feels at times the act of desperation, like I really don't have the best luck with this kinda stuff. And that's before the Nintendo-centric characters that I talked above some while.

I think the big problem when it comes to why I've been invested more on the character inclusions is because so far is, I feel like Smash-series hasn't been innovating much with it's current cast or gameplay concepts itself successfully until this game with it's slew of competitive-friendly balancing, options and modes to make things feel fresh again - but I wish they'd concentrate on that in the future to keep me invested in this series, incase character-wise I don't see myself getting excited ever again. If they say, brought in Smash Run but retooled to have 4 players in the map and all the enemies inside, it would have been an amazing time sink on top of the fights themselves. They'd have to do more stuff like that instead of the whole equipment/spirits-thing that not many want to bother with over time due the insane amounts of variables included.

So yeah, IDK what to feel on Ultimate due this - on the other hand, it's probably best Smash could ever be with all what Sakurai wanted to possibly achieve with it by what all we've come to see him state, and it's very much satisfied ton of people with it in this wide globe. But since it's a billion-seller franchise, it still HAS to go on under Nintendo's eye, and IDK what it could possibly do with itself to even go higher by this point with what it already established itself with - unless we get more wacky additions and more marketing-based characters, and not very well-furbished game content beyond music and multiplayer.
I mean, knowing how this will most likely be a huge bane to a lot of characters I wanted to see, I can't entirely get excited about the series in the future if it means more "Piranha Plants"/"Marketing Reps" instead of "K.Rools" without a doubt - and they don't refurbish much the core game after this installment that makes me want to come back to it again with the already-existing characters in tow.

In some ways, I'll be happy for everyone else, but to me, it would feel a bit anticlimactic - like there could have been so much more to be achieved, if they went other directions that they are doing right now, like what rosters of Smash Flash 2 or Smash Bros Crusade (anime-chars be damned), were able to show me.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Out of curiosity is Dixie the only new Mii character that ONLY got a hat and not a body? As far as I can tell every other new Mii character costume like Rex, Isaac, Spring Man, Saki, Chibi Robo, etc. got both a hat and body. Dixie is the only one who didn't?

For all we know the reason Dixie's hair looks so detailed is they ripped it off a working DLC model of her and just gave it to us early to tide us over till then. Possible theory.
Marx got a Mii hat as well, and he's a boss.

Ever notice how detailed the K. Rool Mii costume back in Smash 4 was? It looks like they ripped a working model of K. Rool for the Mii costume in that game. The design of that costume is his classic Rareware design, but the textures look almost identical to the textures on his Ultimate model. You could absolutely be dead right about Dixie here. Perhaps they are saving her for DLC Season Pass 2 or 3.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Marx got a Mii hat as well, and he's a boss.

Ever notice how detailed the K. Rool Mii costume back in Smash 4 was? It looks like they ripped a working model of K. Rool for the Mii costume in that game. The design of that costume is his classic Rareware design, but the textures look almost identical to the textures on his Ultimate model. You could absolutely be dead right about Dixie here. Perhaps they are saving her for DLC Season Pass 2 or 3.
Something to note is that the team has to make sure the hats and costumes look good on Mii Fighters in general, since they are being the playable fighters after all... Naturally explains the high quality of the textures and more in these costumes.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm still on the boat that they didn't include a body suit because it basically would have been a hairy woman hardcore Winnie-the-Poohing it without the hat. There's also already a monkey suit minus the clothes. Maybe you can toggle a pink shirt on it? Food for thought.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm still on the boat that they didn't include a body suit because it basically would have been a hairy woman hardcore Winnie-the-Poohing it without the hat. There's also already a monkey suit minus the clothes. Maybe you can toggle a pink shirt on it? Food for thought.
Something odd to me about that would be that the Monkey Suit belongs to Mii Swordfighter-category, involving a stick:

At least with Lip, they tried to be "accurate" with her character via making her Stick be the "sword" - and as far as I know, Dixie's not entirely related to fighting with direct weapons or anything. At least they could have made a costume for her to say, go with a Brawler Outfit for her as it'd fit her character on some fashion.

So far to me, the Dixie-hat seems more going with anything kind of a deal, instead of being intended to be specifically used with the Monkey Suit due the stick. :100:

Top Bottom