• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

StormC

Smash Hero
I personally disagree here. While Ware may be more popular in Japan, I believe the Wario platformers are much more deserving in having a playable character. This is one of my problems with Smash is how they represent Wario Land which is pretty nonexistent. It's the series that made Wario such a memorable character yet there hasn't been any stage from any Land or World game. It has gotten somewhat better with the few spirits of Syrup, Shake King, and the WL4 princess. I feel his moveset should be more inspired from those games but hey at least they brought back the Shoulder Bash and a few of his moves reference those games. There are so many moves from those games that they can use, but they haven't. It's really frustrating as a Wario Land/World fan to see those games get the shaft in favor of Ware.

Captain Syrup, to me, is more deserving of a playable character than the entire WarioWare cast. She goes way back to the start of the series when she was the antagonist of the first two games and then a support character in Shake It. Even the Virtual Boy Wario Land was a inspiration to DKC Returns in regards to the switch between the background and the foreground. I like the WarioWare games, but Wario Land deserves so much more recognition than it has gotten in the past decade.
I agree that it's a crime how little love Wario Land gets in Smash - a stage and AT wouldn't be asking for the world - but I think Captain Syrup would be hard to swing because she really just doesn't have much to work with. Her boss battle in the first game relies on a genie she summons, and her battles in the second game are still fairly limited. In terms of relevance and recognizability, her weaknesses there are like K. Rool on steroids - what she really needs is a new and successful Wario Land title that puts her front and center as the main villain again, gives her a lot of material as a fighter, and leaves an impression among the general Nintendo fandom. Right now, she's not much more than Tatanga to most people.

WarioWare has the issue of none of the secondary characters standing out significantly. There isn't a Diddy Kong or Luigi or Zelda. Ashley comes closest thanks to her showing up in other games as cameos, but it didn't seem to help her much.

I guess that's the hard part for me here. Seeing as I personally didn't care for K.Rool back in the day, (even if I went all my way to send votes for him too to help out the Kutthroats). Yet here I am again, feeling like all the characters I longed for from my childhood or other personal parts of gaming to speculate about, got constantly shafted for over 10 years by now.

There's been claimings that imply "2nd-rate Nintendo-series" will always be irrelevant enough to be AT-material or just outright removed (Golden Sun between 4 and Ultimate). I'd be fine with that if so -- yet even then, some characters that might be all eligible aren't even considered because I guess they just weren't "interesting enough". Ergo how Piranha Plant was picked over Toad after all these years, perhaps. Dixie's absence meanwhile is very strange still, but I'll be just chalking it to her not being enough on Sakurai's eyes to be made over a character on her own right despite her signature traits, and coupled with K.Rool taking more priority, she got passed over while fans get a hat as a consolation.

It's gonna make this installment and it's DLC feels weird to me quite a bit- I do like getting Richter definitely, he was really a big unexpected throw-in of a "newcomer" for me - but I personally never expected the guy in Smash over these years since seeing how he was in obscurity-land back when I played RoB and around 2015 (while the Castlevania Pachinko-crap reared its head about with it's wacky redesigns on the characters). Daisy and Chrom are nice inclusions for my personal end too, but again, Daisy feels more an Alt.character at times when you take away her unique animations, and Chrom's become so pathetic of a meme material that I wasn't feeling exactly cathartic at his inclusion.

Then I'm reminded of the times I just had to settle on Lemmy Koopa out of all the characters as the one that felt anything close to me out of all characters in 4, at least if talking about characters I very much enjoyed back the day. Greninja I didn't expect to be in Smash, and didn't exactly bother using despite having picked Froakie right back in January 2013 when X&Y was shown first time with it's starters. Palutena I think fell off for me after I found her characterization little too iffy for my tastes, and how the fans twisted it too far. (And she wasn't entirely well-implemented due the custom moves junk, that is). Robin and Pac-Man felt good, but I had to be real, that's merely what they were going for, and I just didn't feel much personal investment with them prior to Smash, compared to likes of Dixie, Toad, Starfy, Tingle, Lip, etc - all which I liked to play games of and was very invested on the characters beyond Smash prior.

On that side, it then makes makes me think of the absence of Wario Land-Wario in Smash, the version of Wario I grew up with since child - how he could have been my go-to main in Smash-games all the time and I'd been happy to pitch against K.Rool or other "new rivals in town" as that personal Smasher for me to compete with. But he never will be - like, there's the Shoulder Bash, but apparently it was brought back by "demand" after we got interviews like this regarding why didn't have it in 4.

In general, Ware-Wario just never struck chord with me, which is made even worse when technically, WL-games died away since Wario was portrayed "more accurately" since Brawl. I wrote a whole thing on that here, if you want to see more.

It'd probably go back to appreciating Diddy Kong after all these years, even if I've not been coming back on the guy since Brawl much as a main. But again, I feel like Brawl added ton of characters that made sense to expand the roster with. Like, imagine if Dedede constantly was missing, and then they add Knuckle Joe instead into Smash, just because he'd be more interesting fighter-wise that Dedede was.

Does this make Ultimate "bad", for me? Far from it - the roster's just phenomenal by it's own end, believe me. But in means of personal character investments that weren't "forced" on me, I feel very left-out since Brawl. And it's more apparent than ever, now that we've all reasonings and deconfirmations laid out, and DLC's gonna be on the horizon anyway. I'd be just fine with Dixie this time, and I'd call Smash's roster as good as it can get for me.

I don't think it's gonna ruin the game much, but it makes me wish that things went other ways at times. I can only take in so many 3rd Parties that I'm not personally invested in, while ones that I am into get shafted about, like Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie (uh?) or Bomberman to a lesser degree. I'll just be glad I got Richter in that case, but it feels at times the act of desperation, like I really don't have the best luck with this kinda stuff. And that's before the Nintendo-centric characters that I talked above some while.

I think the big problem when it comes to why I've been invested more on the character inclusions is because so far is, I feel like Smash-series hasn't been innovating much with it's current cast or gameplay concepts itself successfully until this game with it's slew of competitive-friendly balancing, options and modes to make things feel fresh again - but I wish they'd concentrate on that in the future to keep me invested in this series, incase character-wise I don't see myself getting excited ever again. If they say, brought in Smash Run but retooled to have 4 players in the map and all the enemies inside, it would have been an amazing time sink on top of the fights themselves. They'd have to do more stuff like that instead of the whole equipment/spirits-thing that not many want to bother with over time due the insane amounts of variables included.

So yeah, IDK what to feel on Ultimate due this - on the other hand, it's probably best Smash could ever be with all what Sakurai wanted to possibly achieve with it by what all we've come to see him state, and it's very much satisfied ton of people with it in this wide globe. But since it's a billion-seller franchise, it still HAS to go on under Nintendo's eye, and IDK what it could possibly do with itself to even go higher by this point with what it already established itself with - unless we get more wacky additions and more marketing-based characters, and not very well-furbished game content beyond music and multiplayer.
I mean, knowing how this will most likely be a huge bane to a lot of characters I wanted to see, I can't entirely get excited about the series in the future if it means more "Piranha Plants"/"Marketing Reps" instead of "K.Rools" without a doubt - and they don't refurbish much the core game after this installment that makes me want to come back to it again with the already-existing characters in tow.

In some ways, I'll be happy for everyone else, but to me, it would feel a bit anticlimactic - like there could have been so much more to be achieved, if they went other directions that they are doing right now, like what rosters of Smash Flash 2 or Smash Bros Crusade (anime-chars be damned), were able to show me.

This is a long but well-written post. So I'll respond with my own! I sympathize with your frustration on not feeling like you were getting characters you want. With Brawl, I got Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong as my "big wins." Wario solely referenced a subseries of games I was not yet familiar with, and initially I was against Sonic being in Smash (I was super anti-third party during Brawl speculation and the state of Sonic's series at the time was embarrassing), but his trailer won me over. Snake's inclusion initially irritated me, but once again, the codecs and portrayal of his character/series won me over and got me to play his games. Solid Snake would later become my all time favorite video game character and Metal Gear Solid my all time favorite game. Wolf and Pokemon Trainer fell into the "pleasant surprise" category. Overall, I considered Brawl a big success for myself.

Smash 4 on the other hand was missing a "big win" for me besides Mega Man. More pleasant surprises like Rosalina, Greninja, and Koopalings, and Palutena was a character I wanted to see, as someone who loved Uprising, but behind K. Rool/Mega Man/Ridley for sure (and slightly ahead of Dixie). I had to rely mostly on Mega Man and Palutena to keep myself hype after getting virtually no new DK content or Ridley. So from a Nintendo newcomer perspective I felt underwhelmed (I was very happy to see Mewtwo return, though, even if I wasn't actively hoping for it at the time, having him come back with all of his buffs was one of the best things about Smash 4 for me). This intensified during DLC when the only Nintendo newcomer was Corrin, but Cloud helped since he was a genuine S tier "pleasant surprise." He was a character I always passively wanted but assumed it would probably never happen. FF7 is in my top ten favorite games and his reveal took the crown for the most shocking Smash inclusion ever for me, while also being the first "jump out of your seat" reveal since Mega Man (despite the fact that I was on a treadmill while watching the Direct...). I was still bitter over the last reveals and K. Rool costume, along with Wolf not coming back as DLC, so I was mostly left Smash 4 speculation annoyed and disappointed.

My last two major newcomer requests going into Ultimate were, you guessed it, K. Rool and Ridley. Then the only two cut veterans I really wanted to see were Snake and Wolf. After the amazing E3 show, I told myself that if K. Rool got in, I would never complain about the roster again. After an emotional rollercoaster of leaks and anticipation, the August Direct delivered, and I broke down in tears at seeing the fat croc king return after a decade. In that moment, the DK franchise scored a huge win for itself that virtually any other series/character couldn't compare to - reviving a character that higher-ups deliberately tried to bury. We fought city hall and won. Heck, after initial skepticism, the inclusion of Simon (and Richter) Belmont got me hyped just because their presentation was incredible and got me to play their games.

Seeing K. Rool get in got my interest going for Banjo-Kazooie, and they became my new white whale, although not so much that I would feel the game was missing something without them. I always treat third parties as a pleasant surprise if they make it, since between the wide pool + limited inclusion of them, licensing issues, and any other barriers, outright expecting them can lead to easy disappointment.

Dixie has always been a character I have wanted to see and has been in my top 5 newcomers since Smash 4, but was never a personal priority for me despite my love of the character. I did think K. Rool should be in first, in part because of seniority and uniqueness (not just moveset, but character design, personality, etc.), but also because there was a very real risk of K. Rool falling into the abyss forever that wasn't present at the time for Dixie. Nintendo-wise, basically everyone else ahead of her on my list is in. She is indeed, the last Nintendo All-Star.

To put my own hype scale in perspective, my general emotional reaction upon seeing certain character reveals:

S Tier
King K. Rool
(Banjo-Kazooie)
Cloud
Mega Man
Diddy Kong

A Tier
King Dedede
Ridley
[Solid Snake]
[Mewtwo]
Meta Knight
(Dixie Kong)

B Tier
Palutena
[Wolf]
(Bandana Dee)
(Ganon)
Rosalina

[Brackets] indicating a character that was once cut returning, (parentheses) indicating how I would feel if that character was announced. A character being denied constantly can raise the hype for me; if Ridley and K. Rool were in Smash 4 or even Brawl, I doubt I would have been anywhere near as excited as I was to finally see them in Ultimate. The same has happened for Dixie; after waiting for all of Smash 4 and Ultimate up to this point, finally seeing her would be a point of genuine excitement that she might not have been if revealed earlier. I also expected Cloud to be cut before Everyone Is Here, so his return might be a genuine A tier hype point in its own right, lol.

Hopefully this post offered a little insight to my history with Smash requests and personal hype. I hope it doesn't feel like K. Rool fans have been rubbing their victory in anyone's faces here or anything like that; we might have had different priorities before, but now all DK fans are on board with the same goal. I've gotten more than enough hype to carry me through the DLC period at this point, and even as someone who was initially underwhelmed by the November Direct, thinking back on how far I've come roster-wise has made me incredibly thankful that I've gotten so many great characters over the years. I feel lucky knowing how many characters I've wanted to see enter the battle have done just that, when I know many others are not as fortunate.

I hope for your sake, Dixie can make it so you and others can get the character you've been ride-or-die for after all this time.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. Long time lurker and first time poster here. I want to show my support for my most wanted character Dixie Kong. I don't have any proof for why Dixie Kong could be in Smash, but I have a hunch that it's very likely.

First of all, I agree with people that the Mii hat actually helps Dixie as opposed to hurting her since if she was added, the hat would be preliminary character model work that's already been done like how K. Rool and Chrom's Mii costumes were assets that were reused for their characters in Ultimate. Also those two Mii costumes are still in Smash so in my opinion that doesn't mean that Mii costumes are deconfirmations at all.

Second of all, Donkey Kong is getting a significant mine cart attraction at Universal Studios: http://universal.wdwinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Nintendomap.jpg

If any of you follow DKVine, it's a great fan website for all DK and Rare fans. Hyle Russell is the founder of the site and he has a few sources at Nintendo that have reached out to him and told him that Nintendo is trying to make DK back into a core franchise for them on the scale of Zelda. Hyle knew about the Tropical Freeze port before it happened, but couldn't say anything because of NDA. He notes that the Rabbids DLC, Tropical Freeze port, porting the original arcade game for the first time ever to a Nintendo console (and the original arcade DK. Jr. being ported to the Switch in 2019) and K. Rool in Smash were what he referred to as "Phase One" of Nintendo revitalizing Donkey Kong as a core IP for them. He doesn't know anything about "Phase Two" or onward, but he is sure that 2019 and beyond will be great for Donkey Kong fans and that the IP is in the best hands it's been in since the Rare days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0cmSK1VV0A (listen at the 3:16:10 mark to the end :))

Hyle also mentioned in another episode of his Kongversation podcast why K. Rool would be returning as the main villain forever for the DK franchise, how the Smash ballot resurrected K. Rool from the dead, how Retro Studios previously wanted to add K. Rool in their DKC games and were denied by Nintendo, and how management has changed over the years and have now embraced K. Rool and his popularity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYnzuV6Lsw (listen at the 3:25:55 mark to to the end :))

Lastly, Smash is a kingmaker. Had Smash not existed, Fire Emblem may have been canceled, but now Nintendo's promoting it as a core IP for them. The Metorid and Mother series also was boosted in popularity significantly bc of Smash. Nintendo is also trying to make Bayonetta more popular via Smash.

What I'm getting at is that if it is true that Nintendo is trying to elevate the DK IP due to the theme park attraction, and a supposed "Phase One" and "Phase Two" and beyond of their master plan to rebuild the DK IP, then using Smash as a way to promote a new DK game is a great way to do so. Therefore, adding Dixie Kong as a DLC character to coincide with a new DK game is very likely given these circumstances. Especially since Nintendo is picking the DLC themselves and would want to promote first-party characters along with select third-party representation.

With all this being said, I think Dixie is very likely for DLC and honestly one of the most likely first-party reps. Also, even though it was a random poster and who knows if you can believe him, but that guy from GameFAQs who said that he found out about Dixie being the 2nd DLC newcomer and that they're using the Mii hat and Diddy Kong as a base sounds very plausible. Not gonna say it's proof, but it would make sense.

Good luck Dixie fans. I wanted to post this message as a beacon of hope to you guys and the DK faithful. It's always been my favorite video game franchise and I do hope that Hyle Russel is correct when he says that the franchise has nothing but great things in the future :)

cybersai

Smash Ace
^ Very much agreed, Donkey Kong does need to be as huge as it was in the 90's again. The Retro Studios revivals did wonders but it still feels like DK isn't as big as it could be.

As I said also, Diddy Kong, Dixie and even K. Rool need to also start appearing in the Mario Kart, Sports, and Party games too. It blows my mind even Diddy Kong is not in Mario Kart 8 when he's been a series staple since Double Dash on Gamecube. I really hope if Mario Kart 8 gets new DLC, they'll include more DK characters. The DK cast appearing in all the Mario spinoff goes a long way for their publicity. Don't forget Isabelle was put in Mario Kart 8 too, when she was first revealed for the game I didn't even know who Isabelle was.

I do wonder how soon we'll also get the third game in the new DKCR trilogy. With Retro rumored to be working on a Starfox racer I don't know if they have a studio for another DKCR sequel. But hopefully we don't have to wait too long, unless Nintendo saves the next DKCR game for the Switch successor.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
^ Very much agreed, Donkey Kong does need to be as huge as it was in the 90's again. The Retro Studios revivals did wonders but it still feels like DK isn't as big as it could be.

As I said also, Diddy Kong, Dixie and even K. Rool need to also start appearing in the Mario Kart, Sports, and Party games too. It blows my mind even Diddy Kong is not in Mario Kart 8 when he's been a series staple since Double Dash on Gamecube. I really hope if Mario Kart 8 gets new DLC, they'll include more DK characters. The DK cast appearing in all the Mario spinoff goes a long way for their publicity. Don't forget Isabelle was put in Mario Kart 8 too, when she was first revealed for the game I didn't even know who Isabelle was.

I do wonder how soon we'll also get the third game in the new DKCR trilogy. With Retro rumored to be working on a Starfox racer I don't know if they have a studio for another DKCR sequel. But hopefully we don't have to wait too long, unless Nintendo saves the next DKCR game for the Switch successor.
I wouldn’t count on waiting too long. All of the newcomers (not echoes) with maybe the exception of Incineroar are there to promote new Switch games. Isabelle (Animal Crossing 2019), Ridley (Metroid Prime 4), Simon (hasn’t been revealed yet, but multiple insiders have said that a Castlevania collection is coming to the Switch in 2019), Inkling (Splatoon 2), and King K. Rool (pending... :))

Edit: Forgot to mention in the Nintendo Mini Direct last January Nintendo referred to Tropical Freeze as the franchise’s “debut” on Switch and it even says so on the Tropical Freeze webpage on Nintendo’s website: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-switch;)

Also Diddy is in every Mario spin-off on the Switch except Mario Kart. He does need to be DLC. I think it’s very possible we’ll get more DK characters in Mario spinoffs. Funky was a beast in Mario Kart Wii lol

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Also Diddy is in every Mario spin-off on the Switch except Mario Kart. He does need to be DLC. I think it’s very possible we’ll get more DK characters in Mario spinoffs. Funky was a beast in Mario Kart Wii lol

Always found it irritating how they removed both Funky and Diddy from the Mario Kart roster. Instead we got lazy made up characters like baby Daisy and baby Rosalina...
EVEN THOUGH BABY DK WAS ACTUALLY IN YOSHI'S ISLAND DS, BUT NEVERMIND.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I like you KremlingKuthroat19 KremlingKuthroat19 ! Glad you finally stopped lurking and joined the Kongversation. You've got really solid/great ideas/opinions. Also to all you other lurkers in this thread... (looking at you Guest #1) yes YOU join the Kongversation today. You won't regret it. Dixie needs all the support she can get! Stop hiding in your DK barrels!! lol

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
I like you KremlingKuthroat19 KremlingKuthroat19 ! Glad you finally stopped lurking and joined the Kongversation. You've got really solid/great ideas/opinions. Also to all you other lurkers in this thread... (looking at you Guest #1) yes YOU join the Kongversation today. You won't regret it. Dixie needs all the support she can get! Stop hiding in your DK barrels!! lol
Thanks for the compliments! I just wanted to share these little nuggets of info I’ve picked up this year. 2018 has been an amazing year for DK fans. Tropical Freeze got the second chance it deserved and I loved every minute of it since I skipped the Wii U. Can’t believe how much I loved Mario + Rabbids too. It’s my favorite Switch game (until December 7th) and the DK DLC was outstanding.

Lastly we’re going to be able to play as K. Rool in less than a week guys. If you would’ve told me this a year ago, there’s no way I would’ve believed it!

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I've been staying in my barrel for too long! I just wanted to say that Dixie would be so so perfect in smash. I've been wanting her in since brawl was announced and I really hope she makes the DLC list. I grew up with Donkey Kong Country 2 and I keep creeping back to it every once in a while just to relax. The gameplay is sweet, the visuals are rad and the music is just bananas! Adding Dixie to Smash would just complete the game for me. I think her hat being in the game is promising... and she was mentioned in Diddy Kong's memory blog update on the Japanese smash site on Monday. May or may not mean something... I like the sound of 2019 being a good year for Donkey Kong fans!

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman

I think Tropical Freeze got hurt from being on the Wii U. It didn't seem like Nintendo really promoted anything on the system besides Smash, Mario Kart and Splatoon. And I dont think the backlash from its reveal helped either.

I believe Diddy also wasn't in Mario Kart 7 for some reason, but I agree. Either get more DK characters in the Mario spin offs or let's get some more DK spin offs!

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think Tropical Freeze got hurt from being on the Wii U. It didn't seem like Nintendo really promoted anything on the system besides Smash, Mario Kart and Splatoon. And I dont think the backlash from its reveal helped either.

I believe Diddy also wasn't in Mario Kart 7 for some reason, but I agree. Either get more DK characters in the Mario spin offs or let's get some more DK spin offs!
Yes please, I know that this game is regarded as terrible by many but Barrel Blast is a guilty pleasure of mine. So much DKC fanservice thrown into that game. Not to mention I liked Kludge, Kip, and Kalypso those Kremlings felt like they were there from the beginning to me. I always hoped they would move on to future DK games. But sadly Barrel Blast was panned by audiences and critics and sold like crap so those characters will probably be one and done and forgotten by time. I'd love another DK racer doesn't have to be "Barrel Blast 2" but how about Diddy Kong Racing 2 or revive "Donkey Kong Racing" idea and have a DK racer on animal buddies. Hell I've said it in the past and I know to a lot of you it seems outlandish and stupid but I'd love a "Donkey Kong Warriors" there's definitely enough material there to use.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet

I agree. DK needs spinoffs. Every major Nintendo franchise besides DK currently has spinoffs. Although the Paon era is frowned upon by the DK community, I think those peg climbing games and/or Donkey Konga games would be fine as spinoffs as long as they were filler for mainline DK games.

In fact Nintendo did have a recent patent for bongos earlier this year: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...nintendo-switch-donkey-kong-bongo-patent/amp/

Patents don’t always come to fruition but it would be cool if Donkey Konga came back as a spin-off series. Also if the Wii version of Jungle Beat was ported, we could choose between using the joycons or the bongos. It’d be neat. Barrel Blast could also be ported and use the bongos like it was originally intended.

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Marx got a Mii hat as well, and he's a boss.

Ever notice how detailed the K. Rool Mii costume back in Smash 4 was? It looks like they ripped a working model of K. Rool for the Mii costume in that game. The design of that costume is his classic Rareware design, but the textures look almost identical to the textures on his Ultimate model. You could absolutely be dead right about Dixie here. Perhaps they are saving her for DLC Season Pass 2 or 3.
I actually don't see any resemblance really. The Mii Costume looks like a pretty generic scale pattern, almost like it was ripped from Bowser, whereas actual K. Rool looks like wallet material. His scales form a pattern and are all relatively uniform and the color is slightly less drab in-game. I think the K. Rool Mii costume was just an appetizer back in the day.

The Dixie costume probably isn't some base for her actual character either and I think you guys are betting on the same Snowmad's chance on DK Island that the K. Rool fanbase did back in the Smash 4 days. However, with Sakurai saying that the DLC picks were made by Nintendo this time around, I think it's more likely that Mii costumes were decided independent of future plans than in Smash 4. I think it'd be realistic to assume that the costume has no bearing on her chance as DLC, whether in favor of or against.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree. DK needs spinoffs. Every major Nintendo franchise besides DK currently has spinoffs. Although the Paon era is frowned upon by the DK community, I think those peg climbing games and/or Donkey Konga games would be fine as spinoffs as long as they were filler for mainline DK games.

In fact Nintendo did have a recent patent for bongos earlier this year: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...nintendo-switch-donkey-kong-bongo-patent/amp/

Patents don’t always come to fruition but it would be cool if Donkey Konga came back as a spin-off series. Also if the Wii version of Jungle Beat was ported, we could choose between using the joycons or the bongos. It’d be neat. Barrel Blast could also be ported and use the bongos like it was originally intended.
I honestly wonder how many of Nintendo's divisions are too busy to cover spin-offs. The only one I can think of that doesn't seem to do anything interesting at the moment (besides Aruze, but honestly, who cares about them?) is Nintendo Software Technology. After moving on from Mario Vs. DK, they ported Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, so I wonder if they wouldn't be assigned for proper DK games.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
I honestly wonder how many of Nintendo's divisions are too busy to cover spin-offs. The only one I can think of that doesn't seem to do anything interesting at the moment (besides Aruze, but honestly, who cares about them?) is Nintendo Software Technology. After moving on from Mario Vs. DK, they ported Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, so I wonder if they wouldn't be assigned for proper DK games.
The beauty of spinoffs or subseries games is that they don’t require a first-party studio. You can easily hire a third-party to make a DK game.

Paon had a partnership with Nintendo to make Donkey Kong games. They were all spinoffs. Nintendo did the same with Mercury Steam and the latest Metroid game on the 3DS. It’d be smart for Nintendo to create a long term contract with Mercury Steam to make 2D Metroids. That may be the case already behind the scenes. Who knows?

DK should have a spin-off series and there would be plenty of qualified devs out there to do so. I know Yooka-Laylee’s polarizing, but Playtonic could make a great DK spin-off. They are the former team that made the original DKC trilogy and DK64 after all.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Yes please, I know that this game is regarded as terrible by many but Barrel Blast is a guilty pleasure of mine. So much DKC fanservice thrown into that game. Not to mention I liked Kludge, Kip, and Kalypso those Kremlings felt like they were there from the beginning to me. I always hoped they would move on to future DK games. But sadly Barrel Blast was panned by audiences and critics and sold like crap so those characters will probably be one and done and forgotten by time. I'd love another DK racer doesn't have to be "Barrel Blast 2" but how about Diddy Kong Racing 2 or revive "Donkey Kong Racing" idea and have a DK racer on animal buddies. Hell I've said it in the past and I know to a lot of you it seems outlandish and stupid but I'd love a "Donkey Kong Warriors" there's definitely enough material there to use.
Definitely would like a new racing since I never owned the previous ones. And trust me I'm fully on board with DK Warriors! :laugh:

I do remember seeing that. I would love a new Jungle Beat with playable Dixie and Diddy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The beauty of spinoffs or subseries games is that they don’t require a first-party studio. You can easily hire a third-party to make a DK game.

Paon had a partnership with Nintendo to make Donkey Kong games. They were all spinoffs. Nintendo did the same with Mercury Steam and the latest Metroid game on the 3DS. It’d be smart for Nintendo to create a long term contract with Mercury Steam to make 2D Metroids. That may be the case already behind the scenes. Who knows?

DK should have a spin-off series and there would be plenty of qualified devs out there to do so. I know Yooka-Laylee’s polarizing, but Playtonic could make a great DK spin-off. They are the former team that made the original DKC trilogy and DK64 after all.
There is also Ubisoft, which showed some promise with their own DK-themed Rabbids Kingdom DLC and have devs that are certainly enthusiastic about the series. Anything could happen.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
There is also Ubisoft, which showed some promise with their own DK-themed Rabbids Kingdom DLC and have devs that are certainly enthusiastic about the series. Anything could happen.
I think it’d be really cool if Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle had a sequel and became a DK subseries. The game really feels like a Rare game and the humor seems to be better suited to DK than Mario anyways. There’s a lot of adult jokes. Davide Soliane, the director of that game is a Rare fanboy. That’s why he got Grant Kirkhope as the composer and admitted in an interview that the opera boss was a nod to the Great Mighty Poo from Conker lol. He teased that there’s more Nintendo games from his studio Ubisoft Milan down the pipeline. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I agree that it's a crime how little love Wario Land gets in Smash - a stage and AT wouldn't be asking for the world - but I think Captain Syrup would be hard to swing because she really just doesn't have much to work with. Her boss battle in the first game relies on a genie she summons, and her battles in the second game are still fairly limited. In terms of relevance and recognizability, her weaknesses there are like K. Rool on steroids - what she really needs is a new and successful Wario Land title that puts her front and center as the main villain again, gives her a lot of material as a fighter, and leaves an impression among the general Nintendo fandom. Right now, she's not much more than Tatanga to most people.

WarioWare has the issue of none of the secondary characters standing out significantly. There isn't a Diddy Kong or Luigi or Zelda. Ashley comes closest thanks to her showing up in other games as cameos, but it didn't seem to help her much.
Yeah Capt. Syrup needs more abilities to showcase in future Wario titles. It would be nice to give her more of a skill set to use as an antagonist or possibly a support character of some sort. It would be hype if they ever put Rudy the Clown or the Shake King as a boss in an adventure mode or Wario's classic mode run. I can only hope if Nintendo ever develops a new Wario Land title or a Wario World 2 with Waluigi and Capt. Syrup in it. As far as Ware characters, I've always liked Jimmy T. ever since I saw this old flash movie from my high school days. I will do a write up on the second part of your post later.
Did another silhouette image on Cliffside Ride!

Fantastic work! I always loved the silhouette levels in the game and it makes them stand out well. Plus the wintery background does well here too. Love it!
Hey guys. Long time lurker and first time poster here. I want to show my support for my most wanted character Dixie Kong. I don't have any proof for why Dixie Kong could be in Smash, but I have a hunch that it's very likely.

First of all, I agree with people that the Mii hat actually helps Dixie as opposed to hurting her since if she was added, the hat would be preliminary character model work that's already been done like how K. Rool and Chrom's Mii costumes were assets that were reused for their characters in Ultimate. Also those two Mii costumes are still in Smash so in my opinion that doesn't mean that Mii costumes are deconfirmations at all.

Second of all, Donkey Kong is getting a significant mine cart attraction at Universal Studios: http://universal.wdwinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Nintendomap.jpg

If any of you follow DKVine, it's a great fan website for all DK and Rare fans. Hyle Russell is the founder of the site and he has a few sources at Nintendo that have reached out to him and told him that Nintendo is trying to make DK back into a core franchise for them on the scale of Zelda. Hyle knew about the Tropical Freeze port before it happened, but couldn't say anything because of NDA. He notes that the Rabbids DLC, Tropical Freeze port, porting the original arcade game for the first time ever to a Nintendo console (and the original arcade DK. Jr. being ported to the Switch in 2019) and K. Rool in Smash were what he referred to as "Phase One" of Nintendo revitalizing Donkey Kong as a core IP for them. He doesn't know anything about "Phase Two" or onward, but he is sure that 2019 and beyond will be great for Donkey Kong fans and that the IP is in the best hands it's been in since the Rare days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0cmSK1VV0A (listen at the 3:16:10 mark to the end :))

Hyle also mentioned in another episode of his Kongversation podcast why K. Rool would be returning as the main villain forever for the DK franchise, how the Smash ballot resurrected K. Rool from the dead, how Retro Studios previously wanted to add K. Rool in their DKC games and were denied by Nintendo, and how management has changed over the years and have now embraced K. Rool and his popularity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYnzuV6Lsw (listen at the 3:25:55 mark to to the end :))

Lastly, Smash is a kingmaker. Had Smash not existed, Fire Emblem may have been canceled, but now Nintendo's promoting it as a core IP for them. The Metorid and Mother series also was boosted in popularity significantly bc of Smash. Nintendo is also trying to make Bayonetta more popular via Smash.

What I'm getting at is that if it is true that Nintendo is trying to elevate the DK IP due to the theme park attraction, and a supposed "Phase One" and "Phase Two" and beyond of their master plan to rebuild the DK IP, then using Smash as a way to promote a new DK game is a great way to do so. Therefore, adding Dixie Kong as a DLC character to coincide with a new DK game is very likely given these circumstances. Especially since Nintendo is picking the DLC themselves and would want to promote first-party characters along with select third-party representation.

With all this being said, I think Dixie is very likely for DLC and honestly one of the most likely first-party reps. Also, even though it was a random poster and who knows if you can believe him, but that guy from GameFAQs who said that he found out about Dixie being the 2nd DLC newcomer and that they're using the Mii hat and Diddy Kong as a base sounds very plausible. Not gonna say it's proof, but it would make sense.

Good luck Dixie fans. I wanted to post this message as a beacon of hope to you guys and the DK faithful. It's always been my favorite video game franchise and I do hope that Hyle Russel is correct when he says that the franchise has nothing but great things in the future :)
Welcome KremlingKutthroat19! This is an excellent first post and reading it raised up my spirits for Dixie. I felt that the Dixie Mii hat was pretty detailed that it could be a foreshadow to Dixie's Smash design. I don't to get my hopes up for that but it is worth paying attention to. K. Rool's konfirmation is the perfect momentum for the series if Nintendo is pushing it to be one of the core IPs and it deserves to be. I am so glad to see DKC appreciation in Ultimate but Dixie and Tropical Freeze plus some DKC 3 are crucial pieces to make DK representation perfect.

I've been staying in my barrel for too long! I just wanted to say that Dixie would be so so perfect in smash. I've been wanting her in since brawl was announced and I really hope she makes the DLC list. I grew up with Donkey Kong Country 2 and I keep creeping back to it every once in a while just to relax. The gameplay is sweet, the visuals are rad and the music is just bananas! Adding Dixie to Smash would just complete the game for me. I think her hat being in the game is promising... and she was mentioned in Diddy Kong's memory blog update on the Japanese smash site on Monday. May or may not mean something... I like the sound of 2019 being a good year for Donkey Kong fans!
Welcome to the barrel!

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Welcome KremlingKuthroat19 KremlingKuthroat19 . Now you'll know the joy of hopping back and forth between DK Vine forum and Smashboards to whine about Dixie, just like I do!

I really like that silhouette art, SeashoreWar SeashoreWar ! Definitely posting that on the Twitter, and also I love how you included all five Kongs on one continuous background. It's exactly what I felt was missing from your other silhouette pic.

New support buddies, be sure to follow the Twitter and help spread the word! Every like or retweet helps tremendously.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This is a long but well-written post. So I'll respond with my own! I sympathize with your frustration on not feeling like you were getting characters you want. With Brawl, I got Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong as my "big wins." Wario solely referenced a subseries of games I was not yet familiar with, and initially I was against Sonic being in Smash (I was super anti-third party during Brawl speculation and the state of Sonic's series at the time was embarrassing), but his trailer won me over. Snake's inclusion initially irritated me, but once again, the codecs and portrayal of his character/series won me over and got me to play his games. Solid Snake would later become my all time favorite video game character and Metal Gear Solid my all time favorite game. Wolf and Pokemon Trainer fell into the "pleasant surprise" category. Overall, I considered Brawl a big success for myself.
Interesting to see someone share same sentiments on Brawl as I do. I also considered it very great success in robusting the roster, especially on the Kirby-side due being a huge Kirby-fan back then + Diddy Kong. (And Squirtle! Nice!)

Hopefully this post offered a little insight to my history with Smash requests and personal hype. I hope it doesn't feel like K. Rool fans have been rubbing their victory in anyone's faces here or anything like that; we might have had different priorities before, but now all DK fans are on board with the same goal. I've gotten more than enough hype to carry me through the DLC period at this point, and even as someone who was initially underwhelmed by the November Direct, thinking back on how far I've come roster-wise has made me incredibly thankful that I've gotten so many great characters over the years. I feel lucky knowing how many characters I've wanted to see enter the battle have done just that, when I know many others are not as fortunate.
Yeah - I'm slightly feeling like I came off as kind of entitled/ungrateful on my post regarding character-related things, since all things considered by this point, I should be pretty glad too of what I got to receive Post-Brawl, even if out of strange coincidential chances

(:ultpalutena::ultrichter: the most, I guess? :squirtle::4lemmy:as pleasant surprises? :ultdaisy::ultchrom:I want to be happy too, but them being clones Echoes hampers the hype a bit. Richter's mainly an exception due having his own moves too.)

Probably this is because I never was into mainstream characters, unless something about them really grabs me - like when talking about 3rd Parties, I see Mega Man as "given" (as much as I love his games) - but if they added Roll, I would have gone beyond exctatic. Or Sakura Kasugano. And this goes to 1st Party chars too... like Toad, Tingle, Kamek... or Dixie Kong.

But I'd say, this just creates more niche, difficult to achieve requests for my end at times - hence why I wasn't, and probably won't be lucky in the future. So at times I'm thinking I'm just harder to please fully. It's easier to a lot others due being having much simpler wants or hopes.

I hope for your sake, Dixie can make it so you and others can get the character you've been ride-or-die for after all this time.
As Genie in Disney's Aladdin said:

"Well... here's hoping.

Now, let's make some magic! :ultkrool:"

I dearly appreciate the wishes though. ;)

Which brings me to this:

Woah, this is... very ambitious.

I really do hope Russel ends up being right with this all, especially if this means DKC-series can pull off a bigger renaissance for itself with this type of a project. And most of all, being all led by Dixie, would make it even better.

Speaking which, I managed to finally buy Tropical Freeze! It was during the Cyber Sale Month in EShop this week, so got it for pleasing middle of 40 euros instead of 60.

I tell ya too, the game's presentation feels good so far - hearing the sublime remix of Aquatic Ambience at underwaters of Mangrove Cove already tells me this is gonna be an unforgettable adventure ahead.

However, guess I have to get still used on the controls, the grab/hold-button and more feels little unintuitive at times, and I think the game doesn't deploy button-based dashing anymore, so I need to do more rolling jumps apparently. Gladly I have controllers of all sorts for every occassion. (8bitdo's SNES-styled SFC30 Pro + Switch Pro Controller on top of Joycons, this should be fine~)

However, apparently due 2-player Mode, I can actually be able to play the game fully through as Dixie Kong... should I go for it?

Also to DX_E DX_E and KremlingKuthroat19 KremlingKuthroat19 , welcome to the Barrel! Remember to bring in tons of those Kremcoins and Extra Balloons: because we'll be soon setting off to the Lost Worlds of DLC... :demon:

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
It blows my mind even Diddy Kong is not in Mario Kart 8 when he's been a series staple since Double Dash on Gamecube. I really hope if Mario Kart 8 gets new DLC, they'll include more DK characters. The DK cast appearing in all the Mario spinoff goes a long way for their publicity. Don't forget Isabelle was put in Mario Kart 8 too, when she was first revealed for the game I didn't even know who Isabelle was.
Yeah it was annoying Diddy got replaced by the nonsense cat/Gold Mario characters. Saying that though Diddy in Mario Party is kinda a big deal that seems to go a bit unnoticed I feel.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah it was annoying Diddy got replaced by the nonsense cat/Gold Mario characters. Saying that though Diddy in Mario Party is kinda a big deal that seems to go a bit unnoticed I feel.
I think Diddy's appearance in Super Mario Party goes unnoticed is 2 reasons. 1. he's unlockable behind the pretty boring and lackluster mini-game single player mode. I'm willing to bet most users probably won't even complete it/play it since Mario Party is for mutiplayer shenanigans. 2. Super Mario Party is a very mediocre game. Yes it's better than 9, 10, Star Rush, Advance, Island Tour, and Top 100 but it still pales in comparison to 1-8 and DS. The boards are all super small and confined and lifeless, there's only 4 game boards (that's less than half the original game on the N64 had), river survival is long and boring and gets tedious after one playthrough due to like only 10 mini-games showing up in that mode, online Mario-thon is beyond half-assed with only 10 mini-games available to play, the game is unbalanced due to "ally characters", Rhythm mode was a waster of resources IMO, the game doesn't feel very punishing or rewarding like past Mario Party's which made the old Mario Party's so memorable. While this one is personal opinion the mini-games while fun lack the thrill and "identity" of past Mario Party minigames. Game isn't horrible there's some good things about it like the big character roster, the fact that they went back to the classic gameplay (for the most part), the games graphics/presentation. But it's still mediocre at best.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
If we do end up getting Dixie, anyone think there's a chance we could also see Funky Kong as an echo in the same DLC pack? I know they've stated we're only getting 1 character, 1 stage and 1 music track with each DLC pack, but it'd be a cool bonus incentive. I'd love to see 5 DK reps in the final game.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
If we do end up getting Dixie, anyone think there's a chance we could also see Funky Kong as an echo in the same DLC pack? I know they've stated we're only getting 1 character, 1 stage and 1 music track with each DLC pack, but it'd be a cool bonus incentive. I'd love to see 5 DK reps in the final game.
I don't think we will... but maybe we'll get free updates down the line that includes Home Run Contest, Target Smash etc. Maybe some Echoes may appear with these modes? But I don't think it's wise to put all our hopes into something like this... especially when the fighter pass has clearly stated what to expect. 5 Fighters, 5 stages & a buncha music.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah Capt. Syrup needs more abilities to showcase in future Wario titles. It would be nice to give her more of a skill set to use as an antagonist or possibly a support character of some sort. It would be hype if they ever put Rudy the Clown or the Shake King as a boss in an adventure mode or Wario's classic mode run. I can only hope if Nintendo ever develops a new Wario Land title or a Wario World 2 with Waluigi and Capt. Syrup in it. As far as Ware characters, I've always liked Jimmy T. ever since I saw this old flash movie from my high school days. I will do a write up on the second part of your post later.

Fantastic work! I always loved the silhouette levels in the game and it makes them stand out well. Plus the wintery background does well here too. Love it!

Welcome KremlingKutthroat19! This is an excellent first post and reading it raised up my spirits for Dixie. I felt that the Dixie Mii hat was pretty detailed that it could be a foreshadow to Dixie's Smash design. I don't to get my hopes up for that but it is worth paying attention to. K. Rool's konfirmation is the perfect momentum for the series if Nintendo is pushing it to be one of the core IPs and it deserves to be. I am so glad to see DKC appreciation in Ultimate but Dixie and Tropical Freeze plus some DKC 3 are crucial pieces to make DK representation perfect.

Welcome to the barrel!
You know, I don't think Syrup can be so easily dismissed because of lack of moveset potential, considering that even characters with more than enough abilities in canon barely get any of their stuff used (e.g. :ultmetaknight: pretty much just has the Mach Tornado and Shuttle Loop, :ultbowserjr:and the Koopalings have almost nothing at all since the Clown Car does most of the work) and others have theirs made up out of thin air. :ultrosalina: In any case, it would help if Good-Feel got to do another Wario Land title once their stint on :ultyoshi: is over, whenever that happens. The key is for her to be noticed enough by people to make a difference.

In terms of Smash design, I think it would have to be a hybrid between classic and modern looks, like with K. Rool, so we can't be sure the Mii hat is 1:1 foreshadowing.

I don't think we will... but maybe we'll get free updates down the line that includes Home Run Contest, Target Smash etc. Maybe some Echoes may appear with these modes? But I don't think it's wise to put all our hopes into something like this... especially when the fighter pass has clearly stated what to expect. 5 Fighters, 5 stages & a buncha music.
I could see Funky make it first due to seniority, it would almost make up for the lack of Dixie.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If I remember correctly; Home Run contest may be in the data? So a free update is very possible.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
I do think that people are sleeping on the concept of more echoes as free DLC. Nintendo’s supported all of their new Switch games this year with DLC and even games that have paid DLC also have free DLC updates like Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. But I do think if they add echoes they’ll release them separate from the fighter pass, bc Sakurai said the fighter pass wouldn’t include echoes.

Also Nintendo made a big deal by classifying these “echoes” as its own subcategory of fighters. They explained that these are characters that still take a lot of work, but are significantly easier to make than a brand new fighter.

I love the concept of echoes and think that every first-party franchise that has an echo candidate should receive one as a promotion for a new game. For example, when Bayonetta 3 comes out, it’d be cool if Jeanne was included as a Bayonetta echo as a free update and if they included their new costumes for Bayonetta 3 too. Echoes are a great way of including characters who otherwise wouldn’t make the roster.

Other great echo candidates are Funky [DK], Ninten [Ness] (if Mother 3 ever comes to the West), and possibly Impa [Shiek].

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
People keep assuming there won't be any more echo fighters, but as far as I interpreted it, it's just that the fighters we're paying for in the fighter pass won't be echo fighters. There's nothing to say we can't get other echo fighters as free DLC somewhere...or as a bonus alongside the main newcomer in one of the DLC packs.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
More DK-spinoffs? Yes, please! Jungle Beat 2 and DK Warriors would be great. And Donkey Konga changed into Dixie Kong's Singstars.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
People keep saying Jungle Beat, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber are "spin-offs" but I view them as main series games considering that's all us DK fans got in the GCN/GBA/DS era outside of remakes (GBA DKC trilogy and Diddy Kong Racing DS). Barrel Blast and Mario vs. Donkey Kong is what I consider a "spin-off". But it's weird if those games were to release now in the midst of Retro's DKC games then yeah I'd definitely view them as spin-offs but at the time they were considered by Nintendo to be mainline DK games, granted not the ones a lot of us wanted but they were there..

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Here's a new batch of Support Buddies! Let's extend a HUGE welcome to:

Chalo5000 Chalo5000
Parallelo Parallelo
DX_E DX_E
KremlingKuthroat19 KremlingKuthroat19
Mccdbz5 Mccdbz5
Graf von Tirol Graf von Tirol
@ [Maple]
(The brackets make it impossible to tag this user)
Calamitas Calamitas
Condenir Condenir

Thank you for your support! I also added these 2 to the list, but I'm not sure if they wanna be on it:
Luviant X Luviant X
TheTreasonousSnowmad TheTreasonousSnowmad

If you 2 are interested, feel free to LMK. Also to any potential new Support Buddies, liking the OP is the easiest way for me to know that you wanna be added to the list. That way I don't comb through the pages to find your Declaration of Support

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Put Wrinkly Kong in Luigi's Mansion as a friendly ghost.

Put Lanky Kong in ARMS as a best friend to Lola Pop.

Put Dk characters in every series!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Put Wrinkly Kong in Luigi's Mansion as a friendly ghost.

Put Lanky Kong in ARMS as a best friend to Lola Pop.

Put Dk characters in every series!
I want Donkey Kong as a playable character in the next Xenoblade game, with his talent art consisting of him smashing a barrel over the enemies head, killing them instantly.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm all for another Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 2 as long as it isn't just a DK only show. I remember trying to 100% the game thinking I could unlock :ultdiddy: for Pete sake. Look I didn't have the internet back then, don't judge me. :psycho:

Top Bottom