• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Lol. We had a Grinch Leak. We had a box theory. Might as well have a Neopets leak.

And after that a Gaia Online theory.

And after that a Runescape leak.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm just glad things are civil here. The Geno thread is seemingly in a civil war right now over Vergeben's Square leaks and went up 30 pages in one day of constant arguing.

We didn't get Dixie (yet), but she got a Mii hat and things are looking up for DK content in Smash in general. One of my other wanted, Skull Kid, got a fantastic Mii outfit that looks exactly like the character (check the video in the thread if you haven't seen it), and Zelda content in smash is better than I thought it would be. Every time a final Smash roster is revealed people will always be disappointed over whoever doesn't make it, it's been like this forever so I'm used to it. For most of us this is par the course as we've gone through this cycle so many times now.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
For some reason I have this gut feeling Dixie will be part of the DLC. It's the same feeling I got leading up to K. Rool's reveal.
Even if she's not, it's nice to more DK rep in general this Smash.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

cybersai

Smash Ace
The thing is Dixie's Mii hat is surprisingly detailed, if you put that on Diddy's body it looks like a real design. And Dixie didn't come with a Mii body which I find suspicious, why didn't they make a Mii body of Dixie's clothes to match with it? They did it for Skull Kid (back in Smash U we only had Majora's Mask, now we have the whole Skull Kid body to go with it).

I mean half of Dixie's model is technically already completed besides the clothes and new animations. It would cut development time greatly if Dixie's model is already somewhat there unlike other characters they'd have to make completely from scratch. We also don't have any new tropical freeze content at all as we've kept saying from music tracks, etc.

And last but not least Dixie is one of the few characters not killed off with an Assist trophy. Had she had an Assist trophy like the others I would have said she had no chance in hell at DLC, but the lack of one is a good thing.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think the ideal, everybody-pleasing DLC roster would just be full-blood Nintendo characters from popular and underrepresented series. Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Captain Toad (repping his own series), Slippy Toad, and someone from Xenoblade would be a really healthy mix I believe. No one could hate that lineup, right?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I think the ideal, everybody-pleasing DLC roster would just be full-blood Nintendo characters from popular and underrepresented series. Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Captain Toad (repping his own series), Slippy Toad, and someone from Xenoblade would be a really healthy mix I believe. No one could hate that lineup, right?
Make that Xenoblade rep Elma and I'd be happy. Don't know why Slippy, though, and I think that would anger Krystal fans.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Slippy would definitely get hate, plus I don’t know if Mario gets to be called underrepped.

I also like it when new franchises get added to Smash, and this one is severely lacking in that department.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
If it's just 1st party, I would like Dixie, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Impa or Tetra, and I suppose Elma.

Has any of this stuff been posted before? This channel has a lot of remastered tracks from DKC 1 and 2.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
People don't like Slippy?
Slippy would definitely get hate, plus I don’t know if Mario gets to be called underrepped.

I also like it when new franchises get added to Smash, and this one is severely lacking in that department.
It would technically be the Captain Toad series, not Mario, as I noted in parentheses. Though I do wish Treasure Tracker would get a sequel first just so it's more established.

Perhaps I just don't have a good idea of what is considered crowdpleasing. Replace Slippy with Impa then.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Said it in another thread, but my choices for DLC would be:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Dixie Kong
3. Bandana Dee
4. Ganon
5. Dr. Eggman

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah I like StormC's list better. More variety. But I'd replace one maybe Eggman or Bandanna Dee with a Xenoblade character to throw the RPG fans a bone.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure who I'd want after Dixie. Most of the other characters I want have no chance.

1. Dixie
2. Banjo
3. Doom Slayer
4. Snorlax (BEST poke)
5. Gengar (almost best poke)

Originally I wanted Waluigi but the internet has ruined the character for me.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

It would technically be the Captain Toad series, not Mario, as I noted in parentheses. Though I do wish Treasure Tracker would get a sequel first just so it's more established.

Perhaps I just don't have a good idea of what is considered crowdpleasing. Replace Slippy with Impa then.
People definitely do not like Slippy. (Beats me why) Though I definitely would understand if the Krystal fans complained, after being neglected multiple times due to Sakurai not wanting to make a new Star Fox moveset, then end up doing so anyway but for Slippy.

I hope Captain Toad follows the Yoshi and Wario path and becomes a spin-off franchise of its own. I desperately need a sequel.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I was going for more of a safe, audience comfort food kind of list. Nintendo-owned characters who Nintendo could easily include without making a big fuss over licensing or whether they belong in Smash or whatever, not just a general wishlist. If I were going for that, it would have looked very different. It would have been Rayman, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Lanky Kong, and Crabrawler.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
People definitely do not like Slippy. (Beats me why)
Some people don't like Slippy cause he was annoying in Starfox 64, he gets himself into trouble a lot causing you to rescue him more often than Falco and Peppy(there's even a time where he charges at boss and if you don't destroy the boss before he gets knocked away from it he gets knocked into another planet which is focused on rescuing him from the boss on Titania which is an annoying stage to play on especially for those who don't like the Landmaster) he's a little better in later games though.

I actually would prefer Slippy over Krystal cause I've always disliked how she was added to the series, she seemed like a cool character when she was originally intended to be a protagonist of Dinosaur Planet but to be honest I feel they ruined her when they changed it into Starfox Adventures.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah I like StormC's list better. More variety. But I'd replace one maybe Eggman or Bandanna Dee with a Xenoblade character to throw the RPG fans a bone.
Eggman is definitely lowest priority, he's just a personal Never Ever. I'd keep Bandana Dee, Kirby could use the bone thrown.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I was going for more of a safe, audience comfort food kind of list. Nintendo-owned characters who Nintendo could easily include without making a big fuss over licensing or whether they belong in Smash or whatever, not just a general wishlist. If I were going for that, it would have looked very different. It would have been Rayman, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Lanky Kong, and Crabrawler.
I'd buy that lineup in a heartbeat, no hesitation. Who the hey-howdy-hey is Crabrawler, though?

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Crabrawler is an awesome Fighting-type Pokemon from Sun & Moon.

He's the choice they should have gone with over Incineroar, if you ask me. Since he's such a pie-in-the-sky dream of mine (I wish he was at least a Pokeball spawn), he's one of the only characters who I've bothered to devise a moveset for.
I'd definitely want him to use Scald by shooting water out of his mouth, probably with his neutral B. Then his Side+B could be the three elemental punches, Fire Ice & Thunder, alternating each time he uses it--making him similar to Olimar in a way. Up+B is Bubblebeam, in which he spits bubbles below him, propelling his body upwards and damaging enemies beneath him. His Down+B would be Crabhammer, a chargeable move that he can keep at the ready for up to one minute, then use at a moment's notice. Finally his Final Smash would be Avalanche: a cavalcade of Crabominable, Crabrawler's evolution, would tumble down from Mt. Lanakila and crush those in their path.

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Perfect Kong choices. Would be an instant buy. I would replace Rayman for classic Ganon and that pokemon for Twili Midna/Impa. If those guys were in, i wouldn't never ask more

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Man that would be such an amazing pack. That Idk what I would do with myself. I would never ask Sakurai for anything again. My 3 most wanted DLC characters (Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, and Dixie) all in 1 pack...I would honestly feel selfish because it seemed like Sakurai/Nintendo catered to me personally this smash not only with DLC but the base roster as well.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
If it's just 1st party, I would like Dixie, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Impa or Tetra, and I suppose Elma.

Has any of this stuff been posted before? This channel has a lot of remastered tracks from DKC 1 and 2.

yeah these are great! they're by Jammin' Sam Miller on YouTube (TerraBlue is uploading his WIPs without permission) and there's a lot of great remastered tracks: the Rockface Rumble rendition is incredible!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
The thing is Dixie's Mii hat is surprisingly detailed, if you put that on Diddy's body it looks like a real design. And Dixie didn't come with a Mii body which I find suspicious, why didn't they make a Mii body of Dixie's clothes to match with it? They did it for Skull Kid (back in Smash U we only had Majora's Mask, now we have the whole Skull Kid body to go with it).

I mean half of Dixie's model is technically already completed besides the clothes and new animations. It would cut development time greatly if Dixie's model is already somewhat there unlike other characters they'd have to make completely from scratch. We also don't have any new tropical freeze content at all as we've kept saying from music tracks, etc.

And last but not least Dixie is one of the few characters not killed off with an Assist trophy. Had she had an Assist trophy like the others I would have said she had no chance in hell at DLC, but the lack of one is a good thing.
This was my point I was making the other day it just stands out as being a bit weird. Also Its the most logical thing to do.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I just picked up Tropical Freeze last night to pass some time before Ultimate and it really just made me think even more how strange it is that Dixie hasn't been in the game yet...Like truly she should have been in for Brawl. I wonder if she is ever going to get in? It feels like shes a true glaring omission from the roster?

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
yeah these are great! they're by Jammin' Sam Miller on YouTube (TerraBlue is uploading his WIPs without permission) and there's a lot of great remastered tracks: the Rockface Rumble rendition is incredible!
Ah I see that now. I just watched his Yooka Laylee video and I agree with a comment there. I would love to see him make a SNES version of Tropical Freeze's soundtrack!

Last edited:

Mr Blargh

Smash Rookie
I completely agree with what Cybersai said. After seeing that Mii hat, and the detail / passion put into it definitely gives me more hope for Dixie as DLC.
The way I see it, is that this is Sakurai's way of acknowledgement towards us or potential as being an apology for her not being in the base roster because they ran out of time. I don't think this diminishes her chances of getting in, but more so as signs of work in progress. Hold on to your seats guys, she's coming. I'm really feeling it.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just picked up Tropical Freeze last night to pass some time before Ultimate and it really just made me think even more how strange it is that Dixie hasn't been in the game yet...Like truly she should have been in for Brawl. I wonder if she is ever going to get in? It feels like shes a true glaring omission from the roster?
I'm starting to have doubts myself. Dixie has been seen as a "safe bet" character since Smash 4. IIRC, she had the highest rating in the RTC at one point. But she still doesn't get in. With the limited newcomers in this game though, it's a bit more understandable. Again, the terrifying prospect for the DK series is if K. Rool didn't perform exceedingly well on the ballot, we would probably be going into Ultimate with still only DK, Diddy, and minor new content.

There must never be an assumption that a character will just fall into the roster because of recent, high-level titles. Just look at Toad.

cybersai

Smash Ace
With the exception of a new Pokemon, I'm pretty sure relevancy doesn't matter too much unless you're a huge new franchise like Splatoon was. I'm also pretty sure it was Nintendo who told Sakurai to add Isabelle, I think Isabelle would have stayed as an Assist otherwise. It's not like Sakurai can ignore truly popular franchise/characters, if we didn't get any new pokemon since Brawl it would look odd as hell, I'm sure Nintendo would have said something.

Strangely enough both Captain Toad and Tropical Freeze came out in 2014 which would have given Dixie and Captain Toad prime spots on the roster, given the project plan is from 2015. I think they just both missed the boat due to the limited newcomers, had we had 8-10 newcomers we'd probably see more of these recent characters. Probably the same reason no Xenoblade rep got in this time like Elma either.

I do think Dixie and Captain Toad (along with Toadette as his alt), are the last Nintendo all-stars that really need to be added and Nintendo would want to push. Everyone else has a chance or has third party aspects to him, so who knows.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
With the exception of a new Pokemon, I'm pretty sure relevancy doesn't matter too much unless you're a huge new franchise like Splatoon was. I'm also pretty sure it was Nintendo who told Sakurai to add Isabelle, I think Isabelle would have stayed as an Assist otherwise. It's not like Sakurai can ignore truly popular franchise/characters, if we didn't get any new pokemon since Brawl it would look odd as hell, I'm sure Nintendo would have said something.

Strangely enough both Captain Toad and Tropical Freeze came out in 2014 which would have given Dixie and Captain Toad prime spots on the roster, given the project plan is from 2015. I think they just both missed the boat due to the limited newcomers, had we had 8-10 newcomers we'd probably see more of these recent characters. Probably the same reason no Xenoblade rep got in this time like Elma either.

I do think Dixie and Captain Toad (along with Toadette as his alt), are the last Nintendo all-stars that really need to be added and Nintendo would want to push. Everyone else has a chance or has third party aspects to him, so who knows.
With this thought....am I the only one who would’ve been perfectly fine with the cut veterans not coming back in order to have had these characters?
Dixie, Elma, captain Toad and more recent titles really would be amazing.
I’m happy the veterans are back...but I would rather have these instead :(

StormC

Smash Hero
With this thought....am I the only one who would’ve been perfectly fine with the cut veterans not coming back in order to have had these characters?
Snake was more hype to me than basically any newcomer they could announce that wasn't a big evil reptile, personally. I think Everyone Is Here was good because almost everyone had at least one cut veteran they really wanted to see back. It's also difficult to ascertain how many cut veterans equals one newcomer; while certainly outside of maybe the Ice Climbers, most of them had to be rebuilt from scratch, they still have character designs, moveset concepts, animations, etc. from previous games to use as a reference. The newly reworked Ganondorf probably wasn't any less work than Snake, not to mention clones like Pichu and Young Link. So I wouldn't look too deeply into "if they didn't bring back X, we could have gotten Y."

I don't see any reason to think Nintendo asked for Isabelle to be included. She's just a sort of no brainer choice.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Eh I personally feel like it was a good idea to bring everyone back(I really missed Wolf and I'm sure many feel that way about their character(s) that got cut, there's a reason why so many voted for the veterans more than most others) also with Smash almost being 20 years old it's a great way to have a big reunion for each character that has been included.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Isabelle might have been Sakurai's choice, but even if she wasn't, she likely would have been a corporate mandate anyway. Nintendo has been pushing her for six years now to be the mascot of Animal Crossing. I'm surprised but glad she wasn't in Smash 4 over Villager.

StormC

Smash Hero
Isabelle might have been Sakurai's choice, but even if she wasn't, she likely would have been a corporate mandate anyway. Nintendo has been pushing her for six years now to be the mascot of Animal Crossing. I'm surprised but glad she wasn't in Smash 4 over Villager.
New Leaf came out November 2012, almost half a year after the Smash 4 project plan, so that was never in the cards.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
She actually was originally intended to be an echo of Villager but due to her body shape and overall characteristics of Isabelle, they decided to upgrade her status to a semi clone(which is why we thanked her for possibly of semi clones still being possible to tone down the echo subject greatly) also she was used to promote the new Animal Crossing game coming soon so she was an obvious choice.

cybersai

Smash Ace
PolarPanda is saying some interesting things about Mii outfits being possible de-confirmations, but isn't sure about Dixie's mii hat over in the Geno thread. You guys might want to take a look at his posts over there since he's being fed inside information. Yes I know we're sick of insiders, but I take what I can get.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I'm not believing any "insiders" right now. I'm not convinced anybody knows about the DLC characters.

Top Bottom