• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here ya go fellas

Thanks for sharing this. Its pretty nice that Dixie Kong got an acknowledgement in Ultimate. That hat looks very nice.

Unfortunately, it might lower her DLC prospects. However, considering we have Mii hats for many other fighters already in the game, it might not be an outright deconfirmation. I am still glad she received at least some notable form of acknowledgement.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thanks for sharing this. Its pretty nice that Dixie Kong got an acknowledgement in Ultimate. That hat looks very nice.

Unfortunately, it might lower her DLC prospects. However, considering we have Mii hats for many other fighters already in the game, it might not be an outright deconfirmation. I am still glad she received at least some notable form of acknowledgement.
Reminds me of the K. Rool outfit in a sense. Some nice detail, acknowledgement of the fans...

This can be a ticket for an inclusion in the next entry, for sure.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
If Mii outfits are usable online I might have to learn how to play all three Miis because there are a lot of outfits I'd like to use. The main reason I didn't play Miis much in Smash 4 is because I mostly played online with anyone outside of the solo modes.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its too bad there is not an outfit to go along with the excellent hat. It would be a good consolation prize if Dixie Kong is not going to be in Ultimate as a playable character. The monkey suit does not count in my opinion. Also, I wonder what Mii would go along best for the Dixie hat and what outfit.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
That hat and hair are just beautiful. I've only just found out about it in this thread. I don't think Mii costumes outright deconfirm characters for DLC but I'm not expecting her in the first(possibly only) wave of extra characters. If we get a second wave of 5 DLC then gosh darnit out of 11 DLC characters she'd have to be one of em right? She'd just have too!

It's disappointing but just keep on keepin' on. In the mean time we keep up the noise and hope Dixie gets noticed even more for the next go 'round.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think there are only two strands of hope left for Dixie Kong as DLC:

1. Ice Cave Chant as one of the tracks (this track would go perfect with any icy Tropical Freeze stage).
2. The lack of any new Tropical Freeze music in Ultimate.

Things do not look rosy for her as DLC, but things are definitely still possible. I am reminded of how things looked for Roy when Smash 4 was released. The conventional wisdom was that Roy had no chance, and even myself I was pessimistic. Roy was seen as being behind Lucas and Wolf as DLC. It was a miracle that Roy even returned for Smash 4 DLC as far as I am concerned.

It might take an even bigger miracle for Dixie Kong to be DLC. However, to quote an Ultimate newcomer whose chances of ever becoming playable seemed to have been over with Smash 4, "Anything can change."

I might not stick around for the DLC period of speculation (or at the very least I will post much less), but I absolutely wish the rest of the Dixie Kong fanbase the very best. She is a real treasure of a character that even if she does not make it in as DLC for Ultimate, is an all-star to the roster for a new generation of Smash Bros. fans to support for inclusion.

For many fans just joining the speculation and character support community, and relent about the fact that nearly every integral Nintendo character to rally behind is already in, take heart. One of the best (especially among heroines) is still there for you to champion!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Its too bad there is not an outfit to go along with the excellent hat. It would be a good consolation prize if Dixie Kong is not going to be in Ultimate as a playable character. The monkey suit does not count in my opinion. Also, I wonder what Mii would go along best for the Dixie hat and what outfit.
i guess the monkey suit could work if you dont mind dixie being naked

its a pretty nice hat though; even if she doesnt end up being dlc im glad at least there's some form of playable representation

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
That hat and hair are just beautiful. I've only just found out about it in this thread. I don't think Mii costumes outright deconfirm characters for DLC but I'm not expecting her in the first(possibly only) wave of extra characters. If we get a second wave of 5 DLC then gosh darnit out of 11 DLC characters she'd have to be one of em right? She'd just have too!

It's disappointing but just keep on keepin' on. In the mean time we keep up the noise and hope Dixie gets noticed even more for the next go 'round.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's sad that given the choice between two DKC ice songs, Sakurai gives the slot to the one that doesn't post sporadically on Smashboards since 2014.

At least David Wise made the right choice in DKCTF.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, I agree with you @goodgrief -- even though I do believe Dixie is only one left who should be playable as far as role and resume go, everyone else being extraneous, the title of the thread might ruffle some feathers from those who disagree. I think those people are wrong, but that doesn't really matter.

By the way, an image of the Dixie hat has leaked. I won't post it here, but I will say it does not disappoint. Better get good at Mii Brawler!
Holy smokes, there’s another GoodGrief on here?

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I don't think to be annoying tbh
Edmeme2.jpg

It's sad that given the choice between two DKC ice songs, Sakurai gives the slot to the one that doesn't post sporadically on Smashboards since 2014.

At least David Wise made the right choice in DKCTF.
Both Ice Cave Chant and In A Snowbound Land are in Tropical Freeze, I believe. I thought that the Crumble Cavern theme included both Cave-Dweller Concert as well as Ice Cave Chant.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Actually no. I'm pretty sure that's just Cave Dweller Concert.

Also, thank you for the like Seashore War. Good DKC music sticks together.

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Actually no. I'm pretty sure that's just Cave Dweller Concert.
There's definitely a much more upbeat part of the song that's not from Cave Dweller Concert and it has the same tone as Ice Cave Chant. I'm never really listened close enough to verify if it is, but it certainly was inspired by it, at the very least.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I gotta admit that Dixie hat looks pretty damn awesome on Mii Brawler. While its not Dixie it does give off the impression of how badass Dixie really is IMO.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
That hat model looks great. Now I can't stop thinking how good she'd look as a playable fighter : (

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think we should keep the title. It sparks a discussion that has so far not become a flamewar, and it attracts new users to the thread. It also gives us a chance to make a case for Dixie's merits.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Clearly over thinking it but is any other mii item as detailed? It's like the K. Rool costume all over again.

I think it increases her chances if anything. She's clearly on their radar still, but they didn't make a whole costume for her. That's ignoring all the other oddities surrounding things related to her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Does anybody have a screencap of the Dixie Mii hat shown in the game or a link to a clip from a Youtube video? I would like to see it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Clearly over thinking it but is any other mii item as detailed? It's like the K. Rool costume all over again.

I think it increases her chances if anything. She's clearly on their radar still, but they didn't make a whole costume for her. That's ignoring all the other oddities surrounding things related to her.
It's about as detailed as the Isaac costume. It's made from original assets so it makes sense, and it was obviously a response to a popular character request that couldn't make the roster, so I'm sure they wanted it to look as nice as possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think we should keep the title. It sparks a discussion that has so far not become a flamewar, and it attracts new users to the thread. It also gives us a chance to make a case for Dixie's merits.
Well, as long as it doesn't devolve into a bunch of people coming in here because "how dare someone thinks that a character not part of the general consensus could get in". This board has a habit of hammering the nail that sticks out.

That's what I was thinking. If she's not in this time, it means she'll be next in line on the DK bucket list for the next entry.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Goodness. I come back to see what's poppin' in the barrel and people are STILL crying about the thread name? I mean if its that huge of a deal go ask the other threads to put "Last Nintendo All-Star" in the thread title. Nothing is stopping anyone else from doing that, and I'd love for the Dixie thread to start a fantastic trend. Also, I'm cool if Lip gets in only because Sakurai is really going all in on the fanservice while paying attention to small details and history to really bring personality to characters this time around. Which means Yoshi would be a hard counter to her, you know because he's the character that replaced the all-important Lip in the North American release. At least Dixie was never deleted out of HER OWN GAMES when localized. To be honest, I'm not even sure why this comparison is being made :rolleyes:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, as long as it doesn't devolve into a bunch of people coming in here because "how dare someone thinks that a character not part of the general consensus could get in". This board has a habit of hammering the nail that sticks out.
Right now I say so far, so good. It's done well being up there for the past couple of months and ATM I see healthy discussion and polite disagreements. I'm not worried about it :)

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
All of this hub-bub about "The Last Nintendo All-Star" lately makes me wish I didn't come up with it in the 1st place. :laugh: Even though I still feel Dixie, Toad, and Bandana Dee (arguably) are definitely the last Nintendo All-Stars not playable in Smash yet. But I agree with BirthNote BirthNote that we should keep it. Dixie doesn't bow down to Kremlings!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, you guys have convinced me. Thread title is good.

Of the Mii Brawler's custom moves, which ones do you think fit Dixie the best? I remember Shot Put being very appropriate for K Rool, but that wouldn't work as well for Dixie I think.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^helicopter kick, for obvious reasons

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, so I never shared my favorite Kongs. I wanted to do it a while earlier, but now things are slow I wanna share.

1) Diddy Kong. For the longest he was my most beloved of all the DK characters. If you asked me who my favorite video game characters of all time were, I'd name Crash Bandicoot, Diddy Kong and Rayman as my top 3. I loved playing as Diddy whenever I could; he was MUCH cooler and far more fun to play as than DK, who came off as a slow, boring character in comparison. He just had a charm about him that was really cool to me, then he had a really fun racing game that I loved much more than Mario Kart. When he got the popguns and jetpack in '64, he became even more fascinating. Using his tail as a whip and all his mannerisms was so creative to me, and when he migrated to the Mario spinoffs I was SO happy. When given the chance, I would pair Diddy with Bowser Jr, another favorite character of mine. When he showed up in Brawl I lost my mind; I seriously couldn't contain my excitement as I saw him on the Dojo. Diddy's been my main ever since 2008. It was hard adjusting to Diddy after moving on from Dr. Mario, but it was worth it to learn his ins and outs.

I enjoyed the teamwork angle he and DK had, especially in Retro's games. Of course, he got upstaged in Tropical Freeze, and while I do enjoy playing as Dixie and Cranky more, I always have a soft spot for Diddy.

2) Dixie Kong. I have less childhood attachment to Dixie as she's not in as many games as Diddy, but the moment I played as her in DKC2 I thought she was an amazing Kong. She helped me bypass so many obstacles in the games that I pushed Diddy to the side very much like I did to DK when given the choice between him and Diddy. Call me fickle but the DKC games are hard; the other Kongs came off as basic. They weaved through hazards with little more than dexterity, but Dixie had a superpower. That hair didn't seem like hair, it seemed to have more agency than looking pretty. Attacking with it was interesting, but floating with it was cool, and grabbing/throwing with it was mind-blowing! Not even Rayman and Tails could do that. She also had some nuanced charm like the other Kongs, and they were all individual details. She looked like Diddy, but only in a basic sense. It wasn't the same lack of effort they put between Funky (who I love don't get me wrong) and DK; there was enough distinction in Dixie and Diddy's looks that she didn't feel like Diddy in drag. And while she does look like Diddy, she didn't feel or play like him. Even back then she seemed like her own character. Tough but adorable, girly but not wimpy and honestly more fun than Diddy.

While I tried to balance my helper Kong usage in Tropical Freeze, Dixie was the best option and had more charm than before. I was very happy to see her return and what Retro would do with her.

Then of course, we move onto Smash Bros. Most of us know her speculation history: overshadowed by the Kroc and treated as an afterthought reskin with many justifications. Donkey Kong is my favorite Nintendo series, and I'm very attached to the 3 main Kongs. I can envision a bunch of cool stuff each of them can do and I'm well aware of what makes them standout from eachother, so when the idea of Dixie sharing her man's moveset comes up I'm highly opposed. There's tons of things you can do to have someone with prehensile hair stand out, especially if you treat it like an extra limb, and I don't wanna see Dixie get in and squander that potential. When it comes to SSB, I noticed Dixie got shafted, which is why I put 90-some-odd percent of my efforts into showing that she has a lot going for her. Part of it was out of pity, but it felt like she wasn't getting the recognition she deserved. Up til recently she was a bona-fide underdog.

3) DK. So, when I was 4 I played DKC. I gravitated to Diddy immediately but DK was just there. He was the Kong that I had to use when I accidentally got Diddy killed. Whenever I could switch to Diddy I did with no regrets whatsoever. DK always seemed kinda boring to me. He was portrayed as a big slow ape most of the time, and while DK64 started to make him slightly cool it was still hampered by his new broken English, slapping as a main attack, and overall goofiness. He was the "Hero" which in gaming always means the most basic, beginner-friendly bland character when you have a roster of diverse characters. It didn't help that he felt really unfun in Smash 64 and Melee either. Whenever I saw DK, I'd ask where's Diddy and pretend he didn't exist.

Then Brawl debuted, and DK started to seem tough. Silly at times but he made it clear that he's a gorilla, which meant all the things that came with being one. DK was actually fun to play as in that game; not my main but I had some good fights with him. I was starting to warm up to him, then I got my hands on Jungle Beat for the Wii and man...DK was an absolute BADASS! Such a wild, no-nonsense adrenaline junkie who managed to keep his goofiness in the best possible ways. He didn't feel or look like an oaf anymore, and even in Punch Out Wii they illustrated his wild and crazy side well. Playing as Little Mac made me realize how big and intimidating it would be to fight DK in the ring. He acted silly at first, but piss him off and he'd be throwing combos left and right that I couldn't keep up with. To this day I still haven't beaten him, but the way he jumps around so erratically for someone his size was an eye opener. I really began to appreciate DK in the mid-to-late 2000's, thanks to Brawl, Jungle Beat and Punch Out Wii.

Then, Returns was announced and again, I howled with excitement. A new DKC game that I never thought would come, and the Kong I started to love was the main focus. Returns gave DK and Diddy so much nuance, and the spotlight they put on Donkey made me really appreciate him and his agility. He didn't have that amazing soundwave attack anymore, but he still had his Jungle Beat silliness and action-packed edge, along with his Rareware laid-back feel AND his classic Nintendo stubbornness. I really cherished DK and felt like he, Diddy and I were adventuring together. It also helped that Returns was a well-made game, and Tropical Freeze was far better.

By this point, the 3 hero Kongs were like close friends to me. I was genuinely happy to see DKCTF open with DK celebrating his birthday. I legit would've made him a present if I could, which is why the Snowmads messing up his home made me genuinely angry. It became clear to me that this is my most beloved Nintendo series, and the 3 main Kongs are like lifelong friends of mine. I'm just so attached to each of them, and now I actually like playing as DK in Mario spinoffs.

4) Cranky. Thanks to Tropical Freeze, I now know he can back up his scathing words. Personally IRL and in games I don't like those who are all talk. If you're gonna say bold things you better be bold enough to be as good as you claim, so when Cranky proved it my respect skyrocketed for him. I know that he's DK's grandpappy, but I like the idea of him being his dad, and so that's my headcanon along with Bowser having 8 kids. Cranky's got clever dialogue and always some tricks up his sleeve. I think he's a very fun addition to any game he's in, and if he takes a more active role from now on, i'm definitely down for it.

5) Lanky. Forget the memes, I thought Lanky was so fascinating back in the day. Really goofy, but that was his charm, and his elasticity brings so many possibilities for a Platformer, a fighter, anything TBH. He should return for a DKC.

Honorable Mentions: Funky, Tiny, Chunky, and just for the ghostly aspect, Wrinkly.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, there's one thing I was wondering about lately and earlier today.

If the 29 empty ID slots will get used and they'll keep the total number of planned stages at 108, it's possible that any extra characters beyond the announced 5 could very well be included without a stage, all they'd need is music. Would make development easier on the staff. So I wouldn't be shocked if Dixie just came with some extra music.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You know, there's one thing I was wondering about lately and earlier today.

If the 29 empty ID slots will get used and they'll keep the total number of planned stages at 108, it's possible that any extra characters beyond the announced 5 could very well be included without a stage, all they'd need is music. Would make development easier on the staff. So I wouldn't be shocked if Dixie just came with some extra music.
I really, really doubt we are going to get 30 more characters in Ultimate, even if they went wild with echoes and clones.

I do think us getting echoes separate from the fighters pass and/or a second season of newcomers is possible. However, right now I am only expecting five more newcomers after Piranha Plant.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really, really doubt we are going to get 30 more characters in Ultimate, even if they went wild with echoes and clones.

I do think us getting echoes separate from the fighters pass and/or a second season of newcomers is possible. However, right now I am only expecting five more newcomers after Piranha Plant.
I said ID Slots, which aren't just for characters, alts and elaborate costumes can also fill those (e.g. Cloud takes 2, Bowser Jr. takes 8).

That expectation is fair though.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
They don't really have any credibility. There are a lot of old accounts laying around on a lot of websites these days. I have a Neopets account that is more than 10 years old (my older ones were frozen cause I was a spamming child).

Top Bottom