• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Here's a list of all the DK Spirits in the game

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
Donkey Kong & Lady
Pauline
Donkey Kong Jr.
Stanley
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Candy Kong
Rambi
Enguarde
Squawks
Kritter
Klaptrap
Zinger
Dixie Kong
Kaptain K. Rool
Swanky Kong
Squitter
Rattly
Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong
Baron K. Roolenstein
Ellie
Lanky Kong
Tiny Kong
Chunky Kong
Blast-o-Matic
Wrinkly Kong
Donkey Kong & Bongos
Karate Kong
Ninja Kong
Kalypso
Professor Chops
Tiki Tak Tribe
Lord Fredrik
Expresso
Winky

Spirits do not deconfirm characters. Imagine if we got all these Spirits except Dixie Kong.
People would be mad she wasn't included, or instantly set their expectations for a future DLC character. Sakurai would be screwed either way.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Dixie Kong "Mii costume" is apparently just a hat. Whether the hat is simply a pink beret, or a beret with a ponytail, time will tell.

I find it bizarre how Tropical Freeze got no new content in Ultimate aside from a spirit of Lord Frederick. A shame.

The worst news though is that there is no spirit of the plant. Yes. Out of 1,300 spirits, there is nothing of one of the most common enemies in Mario. This might be a confirmation that spirits are de-confirmations and that our DLC is going to be third-parties and advertisements.
If Sakurai was still deciding the DLC characters, then yes, this would be the case. But I actually kind of doubt it. Or choose to remain hopeful at the very least. It’s hard, but I kinda lost hope for Dixie since the last Direct anyway....

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a list of all the DK Spirits in the game

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
Donkey Kong & Lady
Pauline
Donkey Kong Jr.
Stanley
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Candy Kong
Rambi
Enguarde
Squawks
Kritter
Klaptrap
Zinger
Dixie Kong
Kaptain K. Rool
Swanky Kong
Squitter
Rattly
Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong
Baron K. Roolenstein
Ellie
Lanky Kong
Tiny Kong
Chunky Kong
Blast-o-Matic
Wrinkly Kong
Donkey Kong & Bongos
Karate Kong
Ninja Kong
Kalypso
Professor Chops
Tiki Tak Tribe
Lord Fredrik
Expresso
Winky

Spirits do not deconfirm characters. Imagine if we got all these Spirits except Dixie Kong.
People would be mad she wasn't included, or instantly set their expectations for a future DLC character. Sakurai would be screwed either way.
>Chunky Kong

Finally, they remembered the Chunkster!

Also, a DK and Lady spirit is a bit of an odd choice, to say the least.

Still though, Galeem really freaking murdered practically everyone that had any relation to Donkey Kong in some way.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't put much stock in the "Piranha Plant is the sole arbiter of whether Spirits count as disconfirmations or not." We don't know when the various Spirits were added or when the plant and the separate other five characters were chosen. For example, Plant could've been in the works before he organically was included as a Spirit, and so they just decided not to, knowing he'd soon be in anyway.

The costume on the other hand...makes me suddenly skeptical, at least for DLC. It's a fantastic sign for a future game, looking at Ultimate's newcomers and how Sakurai has said, for multiple characters, the costumes are intended to "make you feel like you're playing as that character." And this is a base game costume, that unlike Rex as a DLC costume, could've been there for years before DLC picks were made, maybe so K. Rool wasn't randomly the only DK character with a costume. There's nothing stopping Dixie from setting a trend by becoming a character after receiving a costume in the same game cycle...I'm just worried based on everything with the K. Rool costume. Over a year of holding out hope only to be let down with an advertisement at the very end would not be a fun experience.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't put much stock in the "Piranha Plant is the sole arbiter of whether Spirits count as disconfirmations or not." We don't know when the various Spirits were added or when the plant and the separate other five characters were chosen. For example, Plant could've been in the works before he organically was included as a Spirit, and so they just decided not to, knowing he'd soon be in anyway.

The costume on the other hand...makes me suddenly skeptical, at least for DLC. It's a fantastic sign for a future game, looking at Ultimate's newcomers and how Sakurai has said, for multiple characters, the costumes are intended to "make you feel like you're playing as that character." And this is a base game costume, that unlike Rex as a DLC costume, could've been there for years before DLC picks were made, maybe so K. Rool wasn't randomly the only DK character with a costume. There's nothing stopping Dixie from setting a trend by becoming a character after receiving a costume in the same game cycle...I'm just worried based on everything with the K. Rool costume. Over a year of holding out hope only to be let down with an advertisement at the very end would not be a fun experience.
At least the worst outcome would lead fans to increase movement for Dixie, much like how K. Rool got a huge following over time. Gotta make the best out of a bad situation.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I still have a good feeling. TF not getting any new music is very suspicious. It's a game that was on the Wii U and now on the Switch. I can't believe it wasn't on the radar at all.

Also Sabertooth Sabertooth I did post an updated version of the DLC image if you wanna use that one instead!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I still have a good feeling. TF not getting any new music is very suspicious. It's a game that was on the Wii U and now on the Switch. I can't believe it wasn't on the radar at all.

Also Sabertooth Sabertooth I did post an updated version of the DLC image if you wanna use that one instead!

Excellent work! I would love to have your art skills.

Anyway, I don't want to throw in the towel just yet but at the same time dlc is going to be a long time before we even get to the first character after Piranha Plant so I'm not too focused on dlc (the game is still not out yet and I'm still waiting find out ways to unlock the characters and find official alt color renders) I do wish the best of luck for Dixie though either way I'm going to stay positive and get ready enjoy this game when it comes out.

Last edited:

LYD

Smash Rookie
Three out of the four newcomers we got as Smash 4 DLC were third-party. Even before we knew Piranha Plant did not have a spirit, my personal speculation was that three out of the five slots were going to be third-party. It might now be that four of them will be, while the last one is another Nintendo advertisement.
The difference is that, this time, Nintendo is picking them. And I feel like they would give more emphasis to 1st part characters in this scenario. Three 3rd parties plus Gen VIII Pokémon and FE Houses could be possible, but I’m trying to be optimistic towards 1st party picks like Dixie!

Spatman

Smash Ace
Dixie is dead

Btw, ok with the love for dk series (but it's more love for k rool... after JUST 10 years, wow! What a luck! Thank you Sakurai for this, ehm, miracle!!), ok with this love, I appreciate it, somehow. Still I can't be satisfied until Dixie will be in. But I ask only for her, I'm not a choosy person. Sooo, I can't be completely happy.
And no, I don't want to wait the next smash. I neither think about it. I'll play other characters for this last smash game for me.
Moreover, I'm sure Dixie won't be either in the next smash (likely a reboot with much less characters) and it's very possible she won't be either relevant in that future

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I've said it before and I'll say it again: nothing in the base game deconfirms anyone for DLC.

You have to think of DLC almost as a separate game entirely. It's made separate from the base game, and the base game is designed without it in mind. You have to consider what the base game is like without DLC because not everyone will buy DLC. The K. Rool costume in Smash 4 deconfirmed K. Rool for Smash 4 DLC because it was Smash 4 DLC. The Rex costume deconfirms him for Ultimate DLC because again, it is Ultimate DLC.

Dixie has a spirit and a Mii hat in the base game. This says nothing to me as far as DLC is concerned.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I can only hope this could end up a great time to break the patterns that had happened regarding the Mii Costume-related stuff locking characters out from the DLC basically... but we just have to see.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
A Dixie AT would have probably been a hard deconfirm for me but I don't think the hat changes much. And hey, at least she got some recognition aside from just a spirit. I still remember being worried after the Smash For base games that Sakurai thought both K. Rool and Dixie were worthless nothing characters because they weren't acknowledged at all aside from trophies. This is an improvement.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A sliver of hope I have is that, much like how the original Tropical Freeze was too late to get any real acknowledgment in Wii U, I believe the Dixie costume may have been added before the TF Switch port was known to exist. With Nintendo making the choices and the port less than a year old, that could bode well.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Dixie is dead

Btw, ok with the love for dk series (but it's more love for k rool... after JUST 10 years, wow! What a luck! Thank you Sakurai for this, ehm, miracle!!), ok with this love, I appreciate it, somehow. Still I can't be satisfied until Dixie will be in. But I ask only for her, I'm not a choosy person. Sooo, I can't be completely happy.
And no, I don't want to wait the next smash. I neither think about it. I'll play other characters for this last smash game for me.
Moreover, I'm sure Dixie won't be either in the next smash (likely a reboot with much less characters) and it's very possible she won't be either relevant in that future
You sound like this guy who was saying K. Rool was a lost cause post-E3. I'll admit, the presence of the Mii hat is discouraging, and I don't want a repeat of "K. Rool could still be DLC," but the DLC selection process is an entirely different game this time around. I doubt Nintendo cares as much about the existence of a spirit or Mii costume for a character as much as Sakurai would, and they probably won't consider that when selecting characters. Dixie is in no way deconfirmed.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Kongspiracy #2: The Dixie Kong being highlighted in the last Smash direct and it being a powerful spirit and the Dixie Mii hat, along with Diddy's pink alts as well as him losing his tail jab makes me think Dixie was probably a high contender for Ultimate. She probably started off as an echo then Sakurai realized it probably wouldn't work. So all development focus went solely to K.Rool. Time ran out and so it was game over for Dixie. In fact I'm willing to bet Jungle Hijinx was going to come back but retooled to be covered in ice and renamed Homecoming Hijinx but like Dixie there was no time so it was cut all together. Maybe Sakurai added the Dixie hat late after my supposed echo cutting suspicions. Maybe he wanted to drum up more hype for Dixie for DLC. Until of course Nintendo came in and laid down their big corporate DIX-ie on the table and told Sakurai who he could and couldn't add. Whether Dixie was on the list of Nintendo chosen characters to be added remains to be seen but part of me feels based on past trends on how Nintendo rarely likes to acknowlege Rare's DKC characters outside of Diddy and DK doesn't inspire much hope. Of course if a Retro developed DK game is in the works and near completion (I mean it should be it's been 5 years since the original Tropical Freeze for pete's sake!) and Nintendo wants to use Dixie as "promotion" it could happen but even so why would Nintendo choose to advertise a DK game over MP4 (Sylux), Three Houses (Eldengard), Gen 8 Pokemon, or even someone from TOWN or Daemon X Machina?

But then again it's just a spiracy....a KONGspiracy! Thanks for reading...

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Kongspiracy #2: The Dixie Kong being highlighted in the last Smash direct and it being a powerful spirit and the Dixie Mii hat, along with Diddy's pink alts as well as him losing his tail jab makes me think Dixie was probably a high contender for Ultimate. She probably started off as an echo then Sakurai realized it probably wouldn't work. So all development focus went solely to K.Rool. Time ran out and so it was game over for Dixie. In fact I'm willing to bet Jungle Hijinx was going to come back but retooled to be covered in ice and renamed Homecoming Hijinx but like Dixie there was no time so it was cut all together. Maybe Sakurai added the Dixie hat late after my supposed echo cutting suspicions. Maybe he wanted to drum up more hype for Dixie for DLC. Until of course Nintendo came in and laid down their big corporate DIX-ie on the table and told Sakurai who he could and couldn't add. Whether Dixie was on the list of Nintendo chosen characters to be added remains to be seen but part of me feels based on past trends on how Nintendo rarely likes to acknowlege Rare's DKC characters outside of Diddy and DK doesn't inspire much hope. Of course if a Retro developed DK game is in the works and near completion (I mean it should be it's been 5 years since the original Tropical Freeze for pete's sake!) and Nintendo wants to use Dixie as "promotion" it could happen but even so why would Nintendo choose to advertise a DK game over MP4 (Sylux), Three Houses (Eldengard), Gen 8 Pokemon, or even someone from TOWN or Daemon X Machina?

But then again it's just a spiracy....a KONGspiracy! Thanks for reading...
My theory about a new DKC is that it wouldn't have been approved for development till they confirmed that Tropical Freeze would sell with the Switch release. Obviously, the Wii U version wasn't bringing in the big bucks and they needed to find out whether that was because it was on the Wii U, or because people just don't like Donkey Kong.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
My theory about a new DKC is that it wouldn't have been approved for development till they confirmed that Tropical Freeze would sell with the Switch release. Obviously, the Wii U version wasn't bringing in the big bucks and they needed to find out whether that was because it was on the Wii U, or because people just don't like Donkey Kong.
What? Why would Nintendo assume people didn't enjoy their 5th best selling franchise? Especially when Returns has sold 7 million. Tropical Freeze's "problem" was that it was on Wii U. Granted I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to be so blind when it comes to DK but that's just downright idiotic to assume people "don't like Donkey Kong" anymore. The Switch port while not selling GANGBUSTERS is still selling well. It probably would be selling more if Nintendo/Retro had actually added more worthwhile new content to the game and not just a lame easy mode so you could get "double dippers" on board as well as not pricing it at a full retail price when the game originally didn't even launch in 2014 for a full $60. The game should had came out at $40 on Switch (like Captain Toad). Guarantee you the port would be selling better. Not to mention but I hate to say it, at the end of the day it's yet another 2D platformer. Yeah IMO it's one of the greatest if not the BEST 2D platformer to exist but obviously people who haven't bought it don't see it that way. They would probably rather wait for New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe for their 2D platforming needs even though that game is mediocre at best and lacks even a smidge of the creativity Tropical Freeze offers.

What the Donkey Kong franchise REALLY needs to get back to 7-9 million copies sold is a new 3D DK game. 2D platformers while fun are in no short supply on Switch thanks to not only Nintendo themselves (Mario/Kirby) but the indie scene. Everyday we hear news story about how the latest 2D pixelated indie platformer has sold gangbusters on Switch. The benefit of 2D indie games is that they are cheap. You can get like 3-5 high quality 2D platformers for the same price as an old Wii U port (Tropical Freeze). So to me Nintendo needs to try a 3D DK game again. No I'm not talking a collectathon like DK64 or even Odyssey. But take the 3D World concept but apply it to DK. Call it "Donkey Kong 3D Country" or something. You can have the multiplayer still (DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky or Funky) as the 4 playable Kongs. Just have 3D point A to point B levels with a little bit of collecting/exploration inbetween and of course have K.Rool and the Kremlings as the enemies and to me that sounds like a 7 million copy selling game.

StormC

Smash Hero
You sound like this guy who was saying K. Rool was a lost cause post-E3. I'll admit, the presence of the Mii hat is discouraging, and I don't want a repeat of "K. Rool could still be DLC," but the DLC selection process is an entirely different game this time around. I doubt Nintendo cares as much about the existence of a spirit or Mii costume for a character as much as Sakurai would, and they probably won't consider that when selecting characters. Dixie is in no way deconfirmed.
Are you talking about the guy with a Toon Link avatar who got banned for being a sockpuppet of memoryman? He was a riot.

Spatman

Smash Ace
no, ok, you're right, but I'm even more pessimistic than I ever was about Dixie's inclusion after the hat and after the absence of Piranha Plant among the spirits

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Apparently Isaac also has a Mii costume. It sounds like they really put in effort to indirectly include all of these fan-beloved characters who didn't make the cut--that's what I've always felt Mii costumes should be.

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
I think the only way Dixie ever gets in a smash game is if the next game is developed by someone other than Sakurai.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think the only way Dixie ever gets in a smash game is if the next game is developed by someone other than Sakurai.
No she'll show up but it won't be until Smash 7. Since DK is only allowed to get 1 newcomer every other Smash game. DK in Smash 64, no one in Melee, Diddy in Brawl, no one in Smash 4, K.Rool in Ultimate, no one in Smash 6, Dixie in Smash 7. Where as I'm sure Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem will probably get 4 more newcomers each in between now and Smash 7.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly fanart, but I made this banner using the TF loading screens and Dixie and DK silhouettes. Figured I'd post it here since i think it looks cool :laugh:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
That really sucks for Geno. His was probably the most convincing Mii costume, and with the diversity of Mii Gunner's moveset, it seriously felt like he was in the game. This is a huge blow for Geno supporters.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm gonna miss playing as Gil from Tower of Druaga. That was a deep cut Namco reference, and I loved playing it alongside Pac-Man.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I hope it's a nice hat. Would be lovely if the ponytail was attached too. Doubt it has the Rare pin, of course, heh.

Shame she's not in the roster, and a hat maybe deconfirms?... maybe not, I dunno. But, it's some recognition, like how K. Rool's costume was last time.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about the guy with a Toon Link avatar who got banned for being a sockpuppet of memoryman? He was a riot.
No. It was this guy with a profile pic of Donkey Kong in front of his birthday cake from Tropical Freeze. He was a supporter, but he had lost hope. Honestly, he could still be around, but I wouldn't know cause I haven't seen that picture.

StormC

Smash Hero
No. It was this guy with a profile pic of Donkey Kong in front of his birthday cake from Tropical Freeze. He was a supporter, but he had lost hope. Honestly, he could still be around, but I wouldn't know cause I haven't seen that picture.
Ah, yeah, him. I know who you're talking about. He later changed his avatar and has a signature saying "so happy to be wrong about K. Rool" or something, but I don't remember his screenname. He was annoying, yeah, but I guess what can you do.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The lack of new tropical freeze content especially music is what leaves the door open for her. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, etc. and all recent games got a lot of straight music rips from their games. Tropical Freeze has nothing that wasn't from Smash U from 4 years ago. It is very odd not to see some songs from the last modern DK game, especially when they can just rip them and not do remixes.

It's a very odd omission if nothing is planned.

cybersai

Smash Ace
DK content in Smash in general
Doesn't make sense this time around though. DK got tons of new music, all remix of classic games. But no modern Tropical Freeze music, whereas other current games like Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, etc. had straight music rips. I'm sure they noticed they only had the what was it...two or so Tropical Freeze rips from 2014 there. They could have just taken 2-3 more.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It is peculiar that Tropical Freeze did not receive any additional music tracks when even the much older Return to Dream Land got three additional track rips. Even Jungle Climber got a track rip, and that game is over 11 years old and is among the more obscure DK titles.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Someone here wondered if this were due the trademark problems with Retro Studios and Nintendo preventing in any Tropical Freeze-related content... feels close to truth over time if nothing happens regarding the current absence of it. :025:

Top Bottom