• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I've said it multiple times but if neither Bandana Dee or Dixie make it. I want them to become the next Ridley and Rool. They were the "Reptile Squad" and the "Evil bros" or whatever. I want Dee and Dixie fanbase to have a similar bond and become the "Double D's!"

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I've said it multiple times but if neither Bandana Dee or Dixie make it. I want them to become the next Ridley and Rool. They were the "Reptile Squad" and the "Evil bros" or whatever. I want Dee and Dixie fanbase to have a similar bond and become the "Double D's!"
Now someone has to do fanart of Waddle Dee and Dixie as Double D..... I wonder what's under the beret/bandana?

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Why would Dixie care about Bandana Waddle Dee? That picture clearly shows she's chosen sides. And she's chosen Sailor Dee.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good idea, except that some people would read into that the wrong way.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie is the most important character not on the leak, second would go to Captain Toad/Toadette. Bandana Dee isn't quite on their level and I can see why he's sitting out this time.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I don't hair what you say
You won't live to tell the ponytail
Gumball gun I bought in Hell
One thing I forgot to tell:
Kneepads that I lost in Hell

I don't hair what you say
I don't hair what you heard
Cuz stupid Dinky Kong,
I'm the Queen Banana Bird!

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Dixie is the most important character not on the leak, second would go to Captain Toad/Toadette. Bandana Dee isn't quite on their level and I can see why he's sitting out this time.
Maybe make it a trio name for dlc if Dixie and Bandana don't make it into the base game!

Crepuscular

Smash Rookie
I'll echo (lol) what a lot of other people have already said in that *IF* these rumors/leaks are true....things look pretty good for Dixie.

It means the smash team has Dixie on their radar again and want her in the game (as a fully unique character at that, since if she was an echo or probably even a semi-echo/closely related character like Isabelle, it wouldn't have been too much effort to stick her in).

It also means that if Geno, Isaac, and Banjo Kazooie are all in the game at launch......I'm struggling to think of any other character remaining with more support than Dixie. ... Waluigi, but he's already an assist trophy. Bandana Dee is up there for sure. Who else....?

I guess we're just in a wait and see moment right now for this to get confirmed or deconfirmed. But if this ends up being true, we need to do a BIG push for her for DLC and it shouldn't be too hard to make it happen.

It's really weird how Dixie has been stuck in this Charlie-Brown-kicking-the-football zone. In Brawl, cut from Brawl. Expected for Smash 3DS/WiiU, never showed up. In Ultimate, cut from ultimate? Weird weird weird.

I know this is the roster of dreams already, but it really really wouldn't be Ultimate without her. I feel like even people who don't personally care about her have to admit it at this point. She's been circling her rightful spot in this crew for so long.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Dixie didn't make the base roster, let's look at who did and why:

Inklings, huge new first party franchise and a success, no brainer
Ridley, huge request dating back 15 years, main Metroid villain
Simon, the next big third party, dates back to the NES days and Castlevania heavily associated with Nintendo
King K. Rool, huge, huge requests, the votes for him also likely took attention away from Dixie
Isabelle, she became the main mascot/face of Animal Crossing

Assuming the leak is real:

Geno, huge decade+ requests since Brawl, Sakurai himself wanted to put him in for a decade
Isaac, huge decade+ request since Brawl. He seemed to score very high on all the fan ballots online so he likely had a lot of votes
Chorus Kids, the Gematsu leak implied they were planned for Smash U but cut likely due to 3DS limitations, so Sakurai finished what he started
Mach Rider, just the next retro NES character. A Sakurai personal pick
Banjo-Kazooie, extremely huge character considered a shocker due to being owned by Microsoft, big request, etc.

Not counting the echoes, a lot of these were also huge requests going back decades or Sakurai personal picks. I think Dixie just got unlucky, as said a lot of the DK fanbase went for K. Rool over her so that took away a lot of her votes. But if the other leak is true then Dixie was planned for Ultimate anyway, which means she might have started as an echo but then been delayed because Sakurai couldn't make her work as one. So it would be better if she's more of her own character for DLC.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I honestly prefer we don't throw in Dixie in the lot with other characters. Reasons:

- People who don't take those other characters seriously could take Dixie less seriously as a result
- Dilutes the message of Dixie's impact and relevancy as an individual Nintendo icon

I'd rather pushes for her to be in involved putting her on the level of characters already in like Diddy and K. Rool, not on the level of characters that aren't in.

Last edited:

Mr Blargh

Smash Rookie
I'm more than willing to bet if this leak is true and she got cut again...(despite how hard that is to swallow) I'm a firm believer that she'll be part of early DLC.
That is, if all the characters in the banner are "base" roster and don't have any DLC elements in it. Only time will tell, but I haven't given up hope yet.

cybersai

Smash Ace
She should be first announced DLC like Mewtwo was in Smash U. All other obvious DLC characters (Xenoblade 2, ARMS, new Pokemon, etc.) would have to be built from scratch as Sakurai wouldn't start work on them till the base game is done. If Dixie was partially worked on she'll be easiest to complete and will be used to release early like Mewtwo was in Smash U, while the long wait for the real DLC characters begin.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
If the leak is real, then there are very, very few first/second party characters left that people are really all that crazy about.

Skull Kid is the biggest one I've seen. He's a villain from a fan-favorite Zelda game, and his status as an Assist Trophy only helped his popularity in the last game. He's a huge request that I've seen constantly and at one point thought was a shoe-in.

Bandana Waddle Dee is the second biggest. I don't understand the appeal of this character at all, but he's a lot more popular than Dixie is, so if Sakurai is still going by ballot choices for the DLC then he's stiff competition.

Other than that...Paper Mario? Elma? I can't think of any more. Skull Kid and Bandana Waddle Dee are our biggest Nintendo-owned competition by far, and that's not even getting into the third parties...

Ugh. Maybe it's partly because I'm on the autistic spectrum, but somehow being one character away from having what I would consider the "complete" roster just eats into my soul. I love that we got Ridley and K Rool and Simon Belmont, hell even just one of those characters would have sold me on the game, but for some reason getting sooo many other huge fan-favorite bombshell characters just...highlights the absence of the one who really should be in already. To me this is like if we were this far along without ever getting King Dedede. It just boggles my mind and I want to get her secured so I can sit back and relax.

StormC

Smash Hero
I honestly prefer we don't throw in Dixie in the lot with other characters. Reasons:

- People who don't take those other characters seriously could take Dixie less seriously as a result
- Dilutes the message of Dixie's impact and relevancy as an individual Nintendo icon

I'd rather pushes for her to be in involved putting her on the level of characters already in like Diddy and K. Rool, not on the level of characters that aren't in.
Seemed to work well for K. Rool and Ridley.

I get your point though. K. Rool and Ridley were basically equal in importance to their respective series and had a ton of overlapping appeal as big evil reptile bosses. While I do think there is some overlap with Dixie and Bandana Dee, and I would like to see them both, any campaigning should probably be focused squarely on Dixie.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie is more iconic than anyone else besides Toad, and at least Toad fights as part of Peach/Daisy's throw now. In older Smash games Toad was just a shield, but now he fights when you grab as Peach/Daisy.

Dixie is by far the only important character not playable. Bandana Dee was only used as a 4th Kirby character in recent years and doesn't have his own name/design from other Waddle Dee's, which is why I can see why Sakurai passed him over. Sure you have Waluigi, etc. but again, I can see why they were passed up. They'll probably get in the NEXT Smash after this one, if they continue with no cuts.

And yeah, the roster isn't "complete" without her. Other characters not making it is going to happen, but nobody feels "missing" but Dixie.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I’m back to say that if Dixie doesn’t make it, I’ll be left with at least a month of questioning how Metroid, which has less viable characters (as well as less popular) ended up with more reps than one of the biggest series Nintendo has to offer.
Yeah, it's a little questionable how a series that mainly focuses on one person alone traversing the innards of planets has more characters than Donkey Kong, which has at least 10 viable candidates.

Ugh. We need Dixie Kong.
Stop being unreasonable. Metroid is often a neglected franchise, and it's only now picking itself up and recovering after being shattered to pieces by a controversial game (Other M) and followed by a game no-one wanted (Federation Force), thanks to Metroid Samus Returns (and hopefully Metroid Prime 4). Ridley has been requested for almost two decades, has been rejected multiple times, and it was fan demand that got him in. Ridley is important to the Metroid franchise - he's Samus' arch nemesis and rival, he's the Bowser and Ganondorf of Metroid, and in Metroid lore, he is the reason why Samus became a bounty hunter in the first place. Dark Samus is an Echo Fighter of Samus, meaning an easier character to create (despite being fully capable of having new move set created for it from source material), so it's basically an extra bonus (though Dark Samus was also picked because of fan demand, so this lined up perfectly). I get that you're worried about a possible scenario of Dixie's exclusion, but this is not the way to go. If she's not in the base roster, she's got a high chance of being selected for DLC.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If she's not in the base roster, she's got a high chance of being selected for DLC.
I hope you’re right about that, because there are a ton of characters that would make perfect sense as dlc:
Crash, Shantae, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, gen 7 (or 8) pokemon, Dixie, Banjo, Spyro, Sylux, an assist promotion (I could see it happening for a couple of them), Tails, Geno, Bandana Dee, Rex & Pyra/Mythra, several different echoes, etc. She has quite a bit of competition, and that’s IF we even get dlc, hence the reason I’m a bit nervous at this point. Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises, and it certainly deserves more than it gets, considering all we got of it for about a decade before the release of DKC returns was spin offs. I really hope there is a big DKC game planned for switch, because it’s been a little too long without an actual new one.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This isn't a response to the post above.

Let's avoid any "Dixie is better than Bandana Dee/Toad/etc" comments. Yes, she is the Last Nintendo All-Star, but we can get that across by highlighting how important she is to her series and what her roles signify rather than taking shots or throwing shade at other characters. By knocking other characters we start to look insecure.

Dixie has the 3rd largest role in the DK series as the tritagonist, is the preferred Kong in each DKC game she's playable, debut in the best SNES DKC, had her own starring role immediately after, and is the fan-favorite of the best modern DKC. Right behind Samus in terms of Nintendo's female heroines, bucks the trends of what was expected from girl characters of her time, AND... has the potential for a creative moveset. A great resume with a lot going for her; we don't need to throw others under the bus for her sake.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Stop being unreasonable. Metroid is often a neglected franchise, and it's only now picking itself up and recovering after being shattered to pieces by a controversial game (Other M) and followed by a game no-one wanted (Federation Force), thanks to Metroid Samus Returns (and hopefully Metroid Prime 4). Ridley has been requested for almost two decades, has been rejected multiple times, and it was fan demand that got him in. Ridley is important to the Metroid franchise - he's Samus' arch nemesis and rival, he's the Bowser and Ganondorf of Metroid, and in Metroid lore, he is the reason why Samus became a bounty hunter in the first place. Dark Samus is an Echo Fighter of Samus, meaning an easier character to create (despite being fully capable of having new move set created for it from source material), so it's basically an extra bonus (though Dark Samus was also picked because of fan demand, so this lined up perfectly). I get that you're worried about a possible scenario of Dixie's exclusion, but this is not the way to go. If she's not in the base roster, she's got a high chance of being selected for DLC.
While I definitely do not speak for the people comparing Metroid to DK in terms of Smash representation as I feel both series were overdue for newcomers regardless of series sales. But I DID want to speak about what you posted. DK has had it JUST as bad if not worse than Metroid in how it was treated by Nintendo. After Rare left all we got were lame gimmicky bongo spin-offs NO ONE asked for. We had just come off the crticially acclaimed (for it's time) DK64 and what do we get for YEARS during the GCN/GBA/DS era? 3 lame Rhythm games (Konga), some mediocre peg swinging handheld spin-offs that most people don't even know/remembered existed, and a gimmicky bongo based platformer that tried to erase everything Rare created and IMO didn't become "good" until the Wii port. While the GCN/GBA era Metroid got Metroid Prime (one of the greatest games of all time), Prime 2, Zero Mission, and Fusion all fantastic games. So yes both series have had it rough and I just want to make sure DK isn't being downplayed in it's also terrible treatment by Nintendo.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
While I agree with everything you said, you can't deny the fact that ZSS, a full unique newcomer, is totally unnecessary and one that no one asked for. I still remember the Dojo days when she was revealed, and there was a line along the lines of "it's good to have more girl power..." All I thought at that point was, "huh? Dixie Kong got passed on for this?" More than 10 years later, I really can't believe we still have to wait and see if Dixie Kong made it into the game, all the while FAR lesser characters have got in (for different reasons, I know, but it still sucks and it's totally unfair).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
some mediocre peg swinging handheld spin-offs that most people don't even know/remembered existed
Hey now, Jungle Climber is legit fire. I will not have Jungle Climber slander in my Dixie thread. King Of Swing is pretty good too, if on the short side.

While I agree with everything you said, you can't deny the fact that ZSS, a full unique newcomer, is totally unnecessary and one that no one asked for. I still remember the Dojo days when she was revealed, and there was a line along the lines of "it's good to have more girl power..." All I thought at that point was, "huh? Dixie Kong got passed on for this?"
Sskurai said he specifically chose Zamus to have another female fighter and another Metroid character (after passing on Ridley). Yeah, she's pretty extraneous, but there's no turning that clock back now.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Zero Suit Samus was chosen for fanservice, literally. Everyone wanted to play as Samus without her suit and remember she was part of a transformation gimmick like Zelda/Shiek was at first too.

Dixie would have been in Brawl if Sakurai didn't start off trying to make Diddy/Dixie like Ice Climbers or however they were. I think Dixie probably would have gotten in over Wolf, honestly. Sakurai rushed Wolf in at the last minute in Brawl, but if Dixie was partially worked on she probably would have been the final character instead.

Now having said that, why Dixie didn't get in during Smash U is anyones guess. Tropical Freeze did come out the same year in 2014 but again Sakurai finalzied the roster back in 2012...so that was 2 years before. Maybe he had no idea Dixie was in Tropical Freeze since she wasn't in DKCR. And if the leak is real she was planned for Ultimate so we'll probably get her even if we have to wait longer for DLC.

Yes it's annoying she's not in the base roster, and she should have been in Smash at least since Brawl 10 years ago, but what can you do.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong is up there with Toad with the character with the worst luck pertaining to Smash Bros.

Things that Toad got hurt by:

Melee:
1. Did very well on the Japanese exclusive pre-Melee poll (managed to get in the Top 10), but did not do better than other major Mario characters (Bowser. Peach, Wario). He gets incorporated into Peach's moveset as a "compromise".

Brawl:
2. The character became a lot less significant between Melee and Brawl than he was in other epochs. Missed playable roles, became less important in the main series. etc. As a result, he likely was not even re-considered for Brawl (like Wario was).

Smash 4:
3. The 3D Mario sub-series introduces the Galaxy games, which has Rosalina as a critical character. She obviously eclipses Toad in the 3D games.
4. Bowser Jr. had been building up an impressive resume since Sunshine, showed up in the Galaxy games, and got a lot of screentime in the new 2D titles to the series. He easily became the most important character in the series after the four Mario characters that were already in (especially with the Koopalings thrown in). With both Rosalina and Bowser Jr. added in, Toad gets outprioritized again like he did in Melee.

Ultimate:
5. Daisy gets added in as an easy echo.
6. For whatever reason, Waluigi explodes in popularity and requests sometime in 2016 or 2017, being seeing as easily the most popular choice for a Mario newcomer.
7. Geno regains a lot of requests after Sakurai personally endorsed this character.
8. Geno will probably be playable in the game, either on the base or as DLC. Waluigi likely outprioritzed Toad now due to his massive loud fanbase he has gained in recent years.
9. This is all coming on the back that Toad has not only become one of the most important characters in the main franchise again, but there now exists other versions to the character that are important now too.
10. Captain Toad has been a re-occurring side character in the 3D Mario games starting with Super Mario Galaxy, and even had a successful game himself (Captain Toad) that got ported to the Switch and 3DS.
11. Toadette has had a lot of critical roles in recent years. She was a major NPC in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, and even managed to have a notable role in Super Mario Odyssey (she gives you the most moons of any other character in the whole game). She also was the co-star alongside Captain Toad of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Toadette even ends up a playable character in TWO Mario plaformers: Super Mario Run and New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
12. Despite all of this, Waluigi will likely outpriotize all three version to Toad despite the impressive resume of each of these individual characters.

Being a Toad supporter for Smash Bros. is being a glutton for humiliation and punishment.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I sincerely doubt Sakurai had any idea Dixie was in TF or TF even existed during early 2012, considering that he said if FE Awakening came out a few months after when it did, Robin might not have been included. So with only DKCR as his frame of reference, nobody got added in Smash 4.

I said it earlier in the thread, but DK characters in Smash have always been plagued by bad timing and company politics.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, it wasn't until this game that I really thought seriously about Toad being in Smash. I figured everyone just agreed it made sense for him not to be playable. I do think Captain Toad would be a great fun addition, but I'd like to see him get one more game first just to expand that source material, and I loved the first game.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If Dixie does get in, I don't want her to be a rushed Diddy echo for DLC. She's a lot more than that, and I'm sure the team can create a unique moveset for her. Dixie already does have her own moves in DKC games, and even if Sakurai can't create an entire moveset out of them, he can still make something original. Just look at Captain Falcon and R.O.B. and arguably Little Mac.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it wasn't until this game that I really thought seriously about Toad being in Smash. I figured everyone just agreed it made sense for him not to be playable. I do think Captain Toad would be a great fun addition, but I'd like to see him get one more game first just to expand that source material, and I loved the first game.
Yeah, that seems fair. That may be the reasoning behind him joining Pauline as a background character in New Donk City, since both have made their big breaks just recently.

Dixie needs her own Kroc the Vote, everyone start making suggestions.

#WhereTheHairIsDixie
#EveryponyWantsDixie

...Well, that's all I got.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
maybe dont use the word "everypony". it has connotations

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
#PasstheDixieBong, may be illegal in many places
#DontThinkTinyThinkDixie, may make Tiny Kong fans mad
#IGumVoteDixie, sounds like a moron said it
#SheKilledWrinklyIknowSheDid, can you prove otherwise?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
#SheKilledWrinklyIknowSheDid, can you prove otherwise?
listen i have a theory about wrinkly's death ok

dont you think its suspicious that she turns up dead around the same time funky starts taking an interest in weapons?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
listen i have a theory about wrinkly's death ok

dont you think its suspicious that she turns up dead around the same time funky starts taking an interest in weapons?
So you're saying Funky killed Wrinkly instead?

No offense, but we're in the Dixie Kong thread, buddy. Keep your pro-Funky talking points to yourself.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Love how all of a sudden Dixie is underrated.. FFS she's a Donkey Kong Country character, most likely a echo which personally Im ok with, I believe if King K Rool is here then Dixie is too.

Last edited:

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Hey guys i was inactive quite a while but now i am back!
With K Rool in the only characters i want in now are Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Toad and a few 3rd parties but Dixie is far ahead in terms of priority.
I love her, DK still lacks representation so i am all in for now!

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie is the only glaringly missing character. You can't really make a case that any other character "has to be there" in a Nintendo all-star roster. Would it be nice to have Captain Toad, even Waluigi, etc? Sure, but they don't feel "essential."

Dixie feels like something is missing. The others feel like "Well maybe they'll get in next time, it's fine."

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Dixie feels like something is missing. The others feel like "Well maybe they'll get in next time, it's fine."
Yeah, everytime I look on the site, it just feels wrong that she isn't there with the other all-stars, especially since she was considered since brawl time.

Top Bottom