• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

StormC

Smash Hero
I think the reason is simple.

For some cultural reason, they seemingly don't want to use characters they didn't make themselves, out of respect.

Which is why Jungle Beat happened, for instance (not to mention why Sakurai seemingly ignores Kirby stuff he had little to no involvement with). It's a wonder that Paon even used a bulk of the cast at all, compared to that game.
While it’s possible it was translated harsher than it was meant, Koizumi said for Jungle Beat that he didn’t think the other DK characters were fresh enough for modern games. Doesn’t sound very respectful to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
While it’s possible it was translated harsher than it was meant, Koizumi said for Jungle Beat that he didn’t think the other DK characters were fresh enough for modern games. Doesn’t sound very respectful to me.
I can agree with that, honestly. A few like K.Rool aside, I don't think all Donkey Kong characters aged particularly well.

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, I can vouch for ChronoBound's statement: K. Rool fans are exhausted. Spending ten years hoping for a character - one that was not only not in Smash but not even in his own series anymore - will do that for you, especially after an aggressive ballot campaign. Metroid fans should be so lucky Dark Samus fell into their lap right after Ridley.

Most K. Rool supporters would love for Dixie to be in the game as well but are cynical given Sakurai's treatment of the DK series before and how she seemed to only ever be considered as part of Diddy's moveset. I can say that despite having Dixie as one of my top 5 wants since Smash 4, and is now my most wanted longterm requests, I found myself much more optimistic about K. Rool's chances post-ballot. I think K. Rool support also blew up much more quickly after Diddy's confirmation because K. Rool offered something totally different from Diddy as a fighter.

And I'll be honest, the hostility people have had in this thread towards echo discussion has certainly made me not as comfortable posting here, especially with some remarks implicating that people who are fine with Dixie as an echo are not true Dixie fans or whatnot. While Isabelle did give me some hope for semi-clone status, I just can't for the life of me see two numbered DK newcomers in a game with so few of them. However, I think her DLC prospects (for which I think she would be a semi-clone) are looking better... except for having to tangle with Spring-Pyra and third parties. And without a new ballot there's not much to be done but post on social media and hoping Treehouse notices.

I want Dixie in this game so freaking bad, guys. She's one of my favorite Nintendo characters and she really is the last missing puzzle piece of DK characters and old school Nintendo characters in general. But I'm not feeling optimistic and I understand people here are on edge, so I've just largely decided to not post because nobody wants to hear a K. Rool supporter be down on Dixie's chances and say they're okay with her being an echo.

Let's just hope she avoids having an active role in this game if she isn't playable.

I can agree with that, honestly. A few like K.Rool aside, I don't think all Donkey Kong characters aged particularly well.
Alright dude, I'm going to level with you: it seems like almost any time Rare-era DK and its games/characters get brought up, you have to offer a backhanded remark like this. I can't fathom why. This thread is full of people who love the DK series and consider characters like the Kongs, Animal Buddies, and Kremlings iconic. You can have whatever opinion you want, but why are you in Dixie's thread taking the piss on her colleagues?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Alright dude, I'm going to level with you: it seems like almost any time Rare-era DK and its games/characters get brought up, you have to offer a backhanded remark like this. I can't fathom why. This thread is full of people who love the DK series and consider characters like the Kongs, Animal Buddies, and Kremlings iconic. You can have whatever opinion you want, but why are you in Dixie's thread taking the piss on her colleagues?
My bad, they should absolutely bring Candy Kong, Kiddy Kong and Chunky Kong back if they want next DKC game to be any good.

StormC

Smash Hero
My bad, they should absolutely bring Candy Kong, Kiddy Kong and Chunky Kong back if they want next DKC game to be any good.
Don't hate on Chunky, he's a good lad. I also saw him at Smashfest.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
My bad, folks. Here's the video.
It postulates three separate movesets for Dixie: one that echoes Diddy, one that's traditional but unique to her, and one that fully incorporates Animal Buddies. He also talks about stages and other Donkey Kong representation. It's a really well-made video and deserves more attention.
StormC StormC , I echo your sentiments pretty much exactly. I agree with everything you've said.

BirthNote BirthNote , you and I have the exact same taste in characters! My holy trinity was also King K Rool, Dixie, and Rayman. Are we the same person?

As for this recent discussion, the only Rare DK character I don't really like is Candy Kong. Kiddy and Chunky are fine, Wrinkly and Swanky are cool, the rest of the Kongs are fantastic. I'd love to see them all back. Lanky is particular would be an amazing DLC character for ARMS!

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's weird. I'm not especially hoping for Dixie more than any other possible newcomer or anything, but I've apparently posted in this support thread the most.

I guess that's just the kind of newcomer Dixie is: so potentially major that she attracts people that end up supporting her more than most. Dixie really IS the last Nintendo all star.

I get the pessimism that she might just be an echo, I really do, but while I disagree that Isabelle is a semi clone (she looks completely unique to me), the point is that Isabelle is UNDOUBTEDLY a Nintendo all star, her popularity huge and unquestioned. It simply would not have been right for Isabelle to have made such a unique and distinct character an echo, something Sakurai acknowledged. Unlike Chrom, whose game is very recent, or Dark Samus, whose last appearance was 11 years ago, Dixie is a longtime character who had a major recent reappearance in an extremely well-regarded entry. I just don't see Sakurai looking at Dixie, especially with the way her hair has always been a big gameplay difference from Diddy even if she IS similar to him in body type otherwise, and feel okay making her an Echo Fighter.

Worst case scenario, she's not in the base game but would be a major candidate for DLC since there aren't any veterans Sakurai can sell to us. But she's either getting in as a semi-clone / unique character, or not at all. Because unlike all the present Echo Fighters, Dixie has an advantage of having her major gameplay distinction literally being right on her head, plain to see. None of the other Echo Fighters have something drawn right onto their design that tell you how they're different from who they'd be compared to.

So it's not that we're hostile towards echo talk, just that the arguments both for and against Dixie being an echo have all been done to death. It's more fun and productive if we just assume that she'll at least be a semi-clone and just talk DKC and Smash with each other. I'm prepared for the possibility of being disappointed as I'm sure other Dixie fans are, but it's simply best not to dwell on that and to just have faith for the time being. So no hard feelings.

As for this recent discussion, the only Rare DK character I don't really like is Candy Kong. Kiddy and Chunky are fine, Wrinkly and Swanky are cool, the rest of the Kongs are fantastic. I'd love to see them all back. Lanky is particular would be an amazing DLC character for ARMS!
Ooh, what if Kiddy were paired with Chunky instead of Dixie? It'd make sense considering they're related and would round out Chunky as a character even more than he already is.

I agree about Candy. If she came back, she'd have to have a redesign. Ironically I don't like Tiny Kong's redesign, it's creepy that a little girl was aged up like that while the other Kongs largely stayed the same, even if I get the joke that her name is Tiny but she's tall. Not sure what I'd do with her if I were in charge of a new game where I was instructed to bring back all the major Kongs.

StormC

Smash Hero
but while I disagree that Isabelle is a semi clone (she looks completely unique to me)
She's at least in the category of Lucas/Wolf-level clones, I think.

-Same grab
-Same neutral special
-Very similar up special
-Same dash attack
-Same Final Smash

We'll get a better idea when the game is out - and the term "semi-clone" is just a made up fan term anyway - but it's at least an indication there is a gray area besides "glorified alt costume" and "totally unique." Which is good. But y'know, cynicism sets in again.

Last edited:

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
So, not sure if you guys are aware, but there is a potential leak of the final roster floating around now and unfortunately, it may be pointing to Dixie being initially planned for the game only to end up being cut. I don't want to get into specifics just in case anyone is avoiding it for spoiler reasons, but I would hop in the general discussion thread to see for yourself if you want to know. I'm not entirely convinced yet, but it seems like it actually has a decent chance of being real. If it is, I really hope Dixie will at least be considered for DLC this time around.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My stance on the "severe lack of DKC characters" issue is the following:

While things are looking dark now, I actually think things will look up for the series in Smash from now on. As of now, there's very few obvious A-listers in the overall game series left to cover, barring anyone that got the AT treatment, so they'll have no other choice but to go elsewhere and focus on secondary and tertiary characters (assuming DLC for this cycle leaves enough legroom and nearly everyone's "reboot" fears don't happen), especially with Metroid having almost no one truly needed left to cover. This means there's a chance that they can bring in more Kongs in the future, especially with TF still being fresh in people's minds.

Granted, there's always the introduction of more third parties getting in the way, but that's more of a big question mark as it stands right now.

So, not sure if you guys are aware, but there is a potential leak of the final roster floating around now and unfortunately, it may be pointing to Dixie being initially planned for the game only to end up being cut. I don't want to get into specifics just in case anyone is avoiding it for spoiler reasons, but I would hop in the general discussion thread to see for yourself if you want to know. I'm not entirely convinced yet, but it seems like it actually has a decent chance of being real. If it is, I really hope Dixie will at least be considered for DLC this time around.
Let's remember; any leak is fake until proven otherwise. If it's not a clear, not photoshopped screenshot of the unlocked CSS, it doesn't exist to me. DLC would be a good option, at least.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
This would be the second time Dixie's been planned yet ultimately cut. It might suck to begin with, but that means the team keeps thinking of her, and more importantly, they want her in as a unique character, so that just means we'd have to be loud for the DLC.

At the end of the day, it might have been true that two unique DK characters for the base roster was too much, but if we include DLC? Surely we can make that happen.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, Dixie being cut would be a shame, but it could also potentially be a blessing in disguise. Had she been for base, Sakurai might have made her an echo due to time constraints or what not (I mean, assuming this leak is real, we have 7 more characters on top of the 70 we already have). Assuming DLC is a thing and Dixie is chosen to be DLC, she would probably be more likely to be unique or a semiclone.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Yeah, Dixie being cut would be a shame, but it could also potentially be a blessing in disguise. Had she been for base, Sakurai might have made her an echo due to time constraints or what not (I mean, assuming this leak is real, we have 7 more characters on top of the 70 we already have). Assuming DLC is a thing and Dixie is chosen to be DLC, she would probably be more likely to be unique or a semiclone.
not really..if the leak talking about Dixie is real.. Dixie is not on the final banner...so NO DIXIE KONG.

and you know what? i want it to be fake... is this weird that i want more Dixie Kong than a veryy GOOD LIST of newcomer ?( geno isaac banjo )
YES you read it correct. i prefer to have DIXIE KONG alone ..than to have theses newcomers..

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
not really..if the leak talking about Dixie is real.. Dixie is not on the final banner...so NO DIXIE KONG.

and you know what? i want it to be fake... is this weird that i want more Dixie Kong than a veryy GOOD LIST of newcomer ?( geno isaac banjo )
YES you read it correct. i prefer to have DIXIE KONG alone ..than to have theses newcomers..
Couldn't DLC characters be added to the banner afterwards? I don't see why not.

Believe me Dixie is a character I always wanted. If DLC is a thing for Ultimate (which I would be surprised if it wasn't) and ASSUMING this leak is real, then I don't think this leak necessarily means the end for Dixie, as long as she doesn't get shown off as an assist trophy or part of Diddy's final Smash or whatever.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Couldn't DLC characters be added to the banner afterwards? I don't see why not.

Believe me Dixie is a character I always wanted. If DLC is a thing for Ultimate (which I would be surprised if it wasn't) and ASSUMING this leak is real, then I don't think this leak necessarily means the end for Dixie, as long as she doesn't get shown off as an assist trophy or part of Diddy's final Smash or whatever.
yes she can be add to DLC. but this is a good sign for our Dixie Kong.... OK it's weird because the last list leak banner isVERY VERY good expecting my prediction but no Dixie make me sad :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Dixie really was cut, she would pretty much be at the front of the line for DLC anyways just like Mewtwo and Lucas were for SSB4. Realistically speaking, worst case scenario for you lot if this winds up being true is that you have to wait an extra 4-5 months to play her, something made infinitely easier by Ultimate actually being out.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that Chorus Kids (and Chrom) being in potentially means that they’ll want to include planned yet cut characters.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
This new leak is good news for Dixie. If this image is real, I reckon Nintendo might possibly tease Dixie and Monster Hunter as the game's first free DLC (See bottom right) as some sort or surprise for us all:
DLC.jpg

Also less likely she'd be an echo!

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
yes but we are talking about sakurai who cut characters in the past and dont add them for 2 games.
let's hope we got Dixie DLC and this BEAUTIFUL list of characters too :)

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Hmm I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor is true, just like Isabelle who was originally an echo of Villager they probably felt that Dixie shouldn't have to be an echo of Diddy plus as we discussed her ponytail would have to require more body frames and polygons.

If this is true then there's definitely a high chance she'll make it as her own character for dlc. Let's keep on hoping for the best for her!

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Let's not panic, the base game has to end somewhere. We also don't know if 'cut' in the text leak means exactly totally scrapped from development, maybe it just refers to cut from the base game to be DLC.

I just had the thought that while the roster would be a perfect 6x13, let's not forget that echoes can be stacked up! So while it is a neat way of presenting the roster for launch, there is room for more characters.

I mean, DLC also has to be meaningful, if they just throw in every most wanted character in the base game, why bother. To hype it properly, most likely they saved some like Dixie, Bandana Dee or Skull Kid.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Keep in mind that Chorus Kids (and Chrom) being in potentially means that they’ll want to include planned yet cut characters.
Cut characters that were planned in past games but were cut or never implemented:

Melee: Banjo-Kazooie, Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, Ayumi Tachibana

Brawl: Dixie Kong, Tetra/Toon Zelda, Plusle & Minus

Smash 4: Heihachi, Chorus Kids

I would definitely be satisfied with any of those characters getting in the base roster or being DLC.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If Dixie really was cut, she would pretty much be at the front of the line for DLC anyways just like Mewtwo and Lucas were for SSB4. Realistically speaking, worst case scenario for you lot if this winds up being true is that you have to wait an extra 4-5 months to play her, something made infinitely easier by Ultimate actually being out.
I certainly hope so, really. Though I'd be little weirded out how Dixie would end up so that low-priority again to be cut, that is. I just really hope it's not meaning Sakurai's not going to revisit her again, or maybe she never wasn't even given any extensive modeling/development to be worked on into the finish.

Also, one downside I might feel is of no "unique" CGI-trailer for Dixie to be made, if the ones we saw back for DLC-characters in Sm4sh is to go by. But again, that's kind of being nitpicky from my end, since Echoes so far have been in same vein (except Richter due being in same trailer as Simon).

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
This new leak is good news for Dixie. If this image is real, I reckon Nintendo might possibly tease Dixie and Monster Hunter as the game's first free DLC (See bottom right) as some sort or surprise for us all:View attachment 171486

Also less likely she'd be an echo!
don't buy this, there is absolutely no reason the image should be that blurry. And also Ray (01)? why would he even be considered let alone planned?

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
don't buy this, there is absolutely no reason the image should be that blurry. And also Ray (01)? why would he even be considered let alone planned?
The reason it's blurry is because it's blown up from that image I posted, where the tiny banner image is sat on the leaker's desk at an angle.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
If the leak is real it looks like Dixie will be the frontrunner for DLC along with Bandana Dee, we can do this guys. Base game or DLC we will make it!

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I'm still not sold on that leak.
If it's real, I'll be disappointed for no Dixie.
BUT, the good news is that most of the big contenders will alwready be in.

That leaves more room for Dixie as DLC, since I don't really see much popular characters left aside from Skull Kid, Bandana Dee and newer characters like Rex & Pyra or Spring Man.
Besides some others seem locked into the TA zone, like Waluigi, Krystal and Ashley.
As far as we know, Dixie is not TA (yet) and if she was indeed cut, then there might still be some pre-made materials for her.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd wanna say one remaining monkey wrench on all of this would be why Diddy wasn't still fully shown, incase Dixie's implied to be not part of the game - there'd be no reason to hide Diddy, like what was done on certain characters prior to some Echoes before. And we still have to yet see him having Dixie's pink colors somewhere. :100:

Unless say, Dixie was shown to be part of Diddy's Final Smash, but I think that would have been revealed long eons back with likes of Ness's and Lucas's ones featuring cameos of their party members.

Got to admit though, I'm thinking my theory on Dixie being hidden due Diddy's absence in demos is about to lose plenty of credibility over time anyway...

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm talking about the post in the bottom right

but even the original image is still crazy blurry
The original image was a Snapchat sent to a friend. Anyone who's used the Snapchat will tell you that it comes out blurry because its often makes a short video instead of an image, meaning unless your camera is mounted, a perfectly clear image is basically impossible.

The dude has already been confirmed to work for a marketing team hired by Namco Bandai to do promotional materials. The image was likely never intended for the public, and he probably took the Snapchat at work to send to a buddy who decided to drop it on the internet. It certainly isn't impossible.

There are quite a few reasons to suspect it could be real:

1. The man it comes from being confirmed to be someone with legitimate access to such information. His job is legitimately able to acquire such materials and be given hands-on time with them.
2. The image being of a real-life space, meaning there's less evidence suggesting its doctored in photoshop. He's taking a photo of a physical object, not an image on a screen.
3. The image looks authentic and professional in its set-up. Even if done by a skilled image editor, the amount of work to make it so cohesive just for a fake leak would be ridiculous.
4. The promotional materials around it reinforce that it has fallen into his hands as part of his career, reinforcing the notion that it came from Nintendo and N/B themselves.
5. Its setup to be a wristband, when the generally established format was always a wall poster. This idea is very much out of left field, and hard to just conceive and print out in one's own home. It even comes with a receipt and instructions.
6. Also included is a blank battlefield image that no one has ever seen before. It also looks authentic.
7. It lines up with several other somewhat credible leaks/hints.

Overall, this leak is tougher to crack than people think. The blurry factor is just about the only thing working against it, and even that is easily explained.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
While I am hoping that Dixie gets in the base game, even if she doesn't get in the base, she will be a front runner for DLC. Though it does suck that she gets passed over despite being planned for Brawl. Still hopeful

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'll be disappointed if we don't get Dixie, but with a roster this absolutely insane, there's no way I can complain. Will Diddy Kong get to see his old pal Banjo again?!

Not to mention, yeah, this leak eliminates some of the most wanted, hyped up newcomers: Isaac, Geno, and Banjo. These three are perhaps the newcomers that people wanted the absolute most out of everyone else left. Hopefully this makes Dixie more visible when all she has to compete with is Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, and a bunch of 3rd parties.

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
I don't really see Dixie as being a contender for DLC. Just based on who they chose for DLC in smash Wii u it seems they go with Japanese gaming icons or promotional characters for upcoming games (granted this could change) but Dixie doesn't fit the same bill as "I can't believe Cloud/Batonetta/Ryu is in smash".

Again things could change but the way I see it is if Sakurai / Nintendo keep repeatedly skipping over Dixie to be in the base game there's probably a reason for not including her and we shouldn't just ignore that and expect her for DLC.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Alright my two cents on the "Grinch" leak. While it SUCKS Dixie got scrapped and passed over again (I'm starting to think it's not the character herself but problems technically developing moving hair as a hitbox or something). She could be DLC and if I'm being honest with myself I'm having doubts. I seriously think DLC is gonna follow Smash 4's path and be nothing but advertisements and headline seeking WTF 3rd parties. Dixie has a fair shot IF they still want to promote Tropical Freeze (though by the time DLC hits, Tropical Freeze would be even more older news then than it kinda is now, being a 4 year old port after all) or there's a new DK game in development we don't know about yet. The director of Mario x Rabbids said their is an internal DK team at Nintendo and also we still have no idea what Retro is working on after 5 long years...oh and when Tropical Freeze was revealed Nintendo kept emphasizing "Franchise's Switch Debut" so we could be seeing a new DK game in 2020 (don't think we'll get one next year simply due to the Switch line-up already being STACKED but I could see it being revealed at E3 2019).

As for the actual playable characters listed in the leak itself...eh none of them really do it for me honestly. I will be extrememly happy for all their fans but personally not a single character in that leaked list makes me "hype". I'll definitely try out
Chrous Kids
as I'm a fan of that series but I was never CLAMORING for them to be playable in Smash. But if this rumor is true and even if the remaining characters I personally have no attachment to (other than
Shadow
who even though I don't mind the character, like I've stated in the past not a fan of 3rd party characters in Smash) this would be HUGE and the most fan-servicey Smash game to date. I don't see how ANYONE could complain about this roster. I'm just glad the characters I'm most personally hyped for :ultkrool::ultridley::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultwolf: were all revealed in the first half of speculation so I can rest easy (if this leak is true) not to hold my breath for anyone else I wanted and let other people who want the characters that were leaked be happy.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I don't know how to feel about this leak if true... On one hand, I'm very excited that Dixie was even considered but on the other hand, I'm pretty sad she got cut AGAIN. I'm going to be optimistic and say she will be a top pick for DLC assuming it isn't just for advertising purposes again like Smash 4. I just have so many mixed feelings right now.

Top Bottom