• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Congrats on reaching four thousand posts!

31 voted for No viable option.
23 voted for Dixie, so we won by 8 points.
Not a bad ratio at all! We were notably ahead rather than neck and neck. Personally I would've voted for Monferno or Ninjape but I was worried about splitting the vote.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Good to see the Echophant in the room get snuffed out in the poll. Probably doesn't hurt that we all conspired to make it happen.

On a more sour note, I think its safe to say that there will only be one more Direct before launch, and what that Direct contains is all we're getting until DLC. The competition is pretty stiff, and we may have to be prepared to fight the good DLC fight. But hopefully not.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Good to see the Echophant in the room get snuffed out in the poll. Probably doesn't hurt that we all conspired to make it happen.

On a more sour note, I think its safe to say that there will only be one more Direct before launch, and what that Direct contains is all we're getting until DLC. The competition is pretty stiff, and we may have to be prepared to fight the good DLC fight. But hopefully not.
I suppose it might be in November then? It they don't do it soon I fear that leak season will find its way into showing us before hand which is something that the devs don't want to happen this time around.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i like that they threw in a little bonus racism too just in case you still thought this was a reasonable person talking

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I actually saw someone on 4chan try to "explain" why Dixie Kong could never get into Smash. I don't know if he/she was being serious or not.
View attachment 171249
Such a massive mountain of bull****. Dixie's been integrated into the Nintendo brand thoroughly. The user's pretending like DKC ended in the SNES days and none of the Rare-created characters were ever seen again. Tropical Freeze alone takes a dump over this guy's jaded statements.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
When you're an autistic person like I am, you generally avoid and look down upon a website known for popularizing "REEEEEE!!" which is in turn associated heavily with their "autistic screeching" meme which makes fun of level 2 and 3 autistic people crying out from experiencing sensory overload. I'm only level 1 so I'm mostly functional but those jokes are despicable to me regardless.

Nintendo and Retro Studios obviously cared enough about Dixie Kong to include her in Tropical Freeze, whose rerelease on Switch was advertised fairly well, given that it outsold the Wii U original's lifetime sales in like a week or something. Just dismiss their worthless and bile-filled opinions and move on like I do.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really like the narrative that Sakurai was "forced" to add characters like K. Rool and Ridley. Like someone at Nintendo was holding a gun to his head to add a couple of evil lizards to Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually saw someone on 4chan try to "explain" why Dixie Kong could never get into Smash. I don't know if he/she was being serious or not.
View attachment 171249
4chan is somewhat nihilistic, but I do get where he's getting from. They tried quite hard to change the image around Donkey Kong shortly after Rare left. Nintendo still probably feels somewhat insecure about the DKC franchise, and what to do with it. Even Returns had the main cast as mostly old employees who worked on the old games, but eventually didn't wanna include too many old faces, locations, or enemies. They only really ever gave us the minimal, and the minimal got only slightly adjusted with Tropical Freeze. Am curious what King K.Rool's return in Ultimate will bring to the franchise, but I do hope we get a faster pace of released games, even if it's just spin-offs or cameos, or even crossovers with other franchises (say, Yoshi's Island, Wario, Metroid, Star Fox.. all could realistically work well). Diddy has been well accepted as one of Nintendo's most popular characters, but Dixie specifically has been left in the dark. And even Diddy they tried to get rid off, check Jungle Beat for example.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
View attachment 171249

But much like what Diddy Kong Diddy Kong said, there's some cynical air of truth here, things were bit on the side where Nintendo seemed to inherently ignore or treat DK-series so neglectfully that the best thing people can think it brought was DK Rap and Expand Dong.

I mean it still flabbergasts me how such a masterpiece of a platformer that was DKC2 got completely skipped over in SNES Classic for example, also 3 while at it. Which makes me dread a bit that K.Rool's inclusion woudn't end up something too different from what Sakurai felt of DK-series, being only thrown after a huge demand instead by his own interest. Would probably get worse if we do end not even seeing Dixie, or just get more the generally "sidelined" treatment for DK-series in Ultimate. (I hope to be wrong though, sorry for some pessimism).

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I really like the narrative that Sakurai was "forced" to add characters like K. Rool and Ridley. Like someone at Nintendo was holding a gun to his head to add a couple of evil lizards to Smash.
Yea, some evil lizard sympathizers infiltrated his office and made some very...compelling demands.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Kongrats on the post milestone over here! Things have certainly ballooned in the Dixie thread while I've been gone.

Not really sure what the general climate is like nowadays with the game so close to release, but I still have pretty high hopes for Dixie. Out of the characters that I still have any hope for, I think she is the most probable at this point; just hoping she lands into the game to some capacity in her rightful place as a DK rep.

Pretty hard to believe that regardless of when the next Direct arrives, the entire wait is over in just over a month and a half. Feels like yesterday that we just saw Smash Bros for the first time and speculated whether it was just another port or not, lol.

Spatman

Smash Ace
View attachment 171249
maybe I shouldn't (and certainly there is some exaggeration in this post), but I'm inclined to believe in the general idea this post says.
And of course I think it's a shame, as there are several other shames in Nintendo.
If I should indicate an individual personality as most guilty for most of these "shames", that individual would be of course Miyamoto. It's still hard to me accept the fact that a creativity genius like him can be so shortsighted and close-minded (I'm talking about his infamous envy towards DKC, but also the treatment he reserved to some series like nowadays Paper Mario), and that they gave to a personality so egotistical so many power that he forge almost the whole nowadays Nintendo aroung his vision of things. Something that imo is an huge problem now that the man is clearly aged and so doesn't keep up anymore with the times and his aforementioned flaws got even worse

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Reminder that Miyamoto not liking DKC was just a rumor and that he actually liked the first game quite a bit, even working with the dev team closely so that it came out alright.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Reminder that Miyamoto not liking DKC was just a rumor and that he actually liked the first game quite a bit, even working with the dev team closely so that it came out alright.
mmm, a rumor that at least fits well with the way Nintendo managed DK(C) throughout all these years...

btw, the rest of the speech still stands up

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Nice to see this thread get past the 100 page mark! Things have been really slow in the news department as far as Smash goes. I definitely see a direct coming in November with hopefully a Dixie reveal. When November hits then the stretch run to release will commence and things could get crazy.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
so i know its not exactly anyone's ideal scenario here but just for curiosity's sake: if dixie IS part of diddy's final smash, what would they do?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Should have said before but I support Dixie.
Welcome aboard brother! Glad to see more Bandana Dee supporters in here as well! If neither Dixie or Bandana Dee make it, I'll be a smidge disappointed (but not a lot) I say we campaign for both as DLC. Let's make Dixie and Dee the new Rool and Ridley (though that will be a hard mountain to climb with all the 3rd party competition and if I'm being honest Dee is almost there already wish we could get Dixie up to those levels).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
mmm, a rumor that at least fits well with the way Nintendo managed DK(C) throughout all these years...

btw, the rest of the speech still stands up
I think the reason is simple.

For some cultural reason, they seemingly don't want to use characters they didn't make themselves, out of respect.

Which is why Jungle Beat happened, for instance (not to mention why Sakurai seemingly ignores Kirby stuff he had little to no involvement with). It's a wonder that Paon even used a bulk of the cast at all, compared to that game.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Honestly when it comes to first parties this is it. These 2 are the last all-stars yet to be playable or deconfirmed.
They really are. Its very bizarre that the community has not rallied behind these characters when their source material is not only very high quality but also very accessible. They actually have Brawl level credentials. Bandanna Dee has Return to Dream Land, Rainbow Curse, Battle Royale, and Star Allies. Dixie Kong has DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze.

Unfortunately, much of the Smash Bros. "online community" are bandwagoners who just want to like and do whatever is "likely" or "seems popular". A large portion of people who like the "throw backs" have not even extensively played their source material, yet these same clowns will throw a massive tantrum if Sakurai does not have them on the base roster.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
They really are. Its very bizarre that the community has not rallied behind these characters when their source material is not only very high quality but also very accessible. They actually have Brawl level credentials. Bandanna Dee has Return to Dream Land, Rainbow Curse, Battle Royale, and Star Allies. Dixie Kong has DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze.

Unfortunately, much of the Smash Bros. "online community" are bandwagoners who just want to like and do whatever is "likely" or "seems popular". A large portion of people who like the "throw backs" have not even extensively played their source material, yet these same clowns will throw a massive tantrum if Sakurai does not have them on the base roster.
Didn't K. Rool's support take some time to massively increase after Diddy was confirmed for Brawl?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Didn't K. Rool's support take some time to massively increase after Diddy was confirmed for Brawl?
K. Rool took off immediately after Diddy Kong's confirmation (especially after King Dedede's). I remember the Top 3 immediately after Brawl's release was Ridley, Mega Man, and K. Rool.

Interestingly enough, Dark Samus was also on par with K. Rool for much of pre-Brawl (they were pretty much identical in terms of requests). I wonder if that character would have taken off too had Ridley been confirmed during Brawl (Dark Samus had a massive support topic on this site during pre-Brawl).

Its very strange that Dixie Kong has not inherited K. Rool's massive fanbase and supporters. However, I believe I quoted a month ago a very good explanation by K. Rool fans. They are simply worn out and wanted to go home. Many of them (like many Ridley supporters) in their late 20's and early 30's, and had no desire to keep posting about character support after K. Rool.

However, Dixie Kong's source material has aged very well and very accessible (3DS Virtual Console and Wii U Virtual Console, and the Wii Virtual Console is technically up for another three months). Tropical Freeze got ported to a platform people actually own. Dixie Kong's genre is the platformer which is among the most accessible game genres. Dixie Kong should easily be able to gain a new generation of fans. Immediately upon playing DKC2 or DKC3, you are able to discover why people like Dixie Kong as a character.

She is also legendary. She was among the first gaming heroines to have a major break out hit (TWO in fact), especially on the Nintendo side of things (where it was primarily just Samus, and Peach's one off playable appearance at the time in Super Mario Bros. 2).

Its perplexing.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Even more perplexing is Dixie was PLANNED to be in Brawl! I mean, she was actually considered way back in 2008! Even if Sakurai couldn't make their tag team work (if it was like Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer), Dixie should have been in Brawl separately. Or if time constraints were too much, she should have made it into Smash U at the latest.

It's absolutely absurd we're sitting here 10 years after Brawl waiting on her.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Let's start a rallying cry or something. Here's what I came up with:

"NO DIXIE KONG
WOULD JUST BE WRONG"

I was gonna say "WOULD DO US WRONG" but I don't want us to come off as unappreciative of Smash Ultimate and act like it's trash until Dixie is added.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
thats not bad but the problem i had when i first read it was mentally inserting a comma after no so it read "no, dixie kong would just be wrong" and it makes it sound like we don't want her

how about

DONT PLAY TRICKS
GIVE US DIX

this cant be misinterpreted at all

cybersai

Smash Ace
"The Last Nintendo all-star" is pretty much the best line to use. It doesn't sound negative or derogatory to either Sakurai, Smash fans or other characters, and it's the truth and highlight's Dixie's importance.

"The Last Nintendo all-star" is what's most fitting.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think there hasn't been a big Dixie support boost yet because there's still some expectation that she can get revealed as sort sort of echo, in the vein of Chrom. Verg has not known about any of the echoes yet, the box theory is silly on its face, and they've not shown head nor tail of Diddy yet. There are plenty of reasons to stay hopeful, unless the expectation is that Dixie becomes Monkey Millia and uses hair tornadoes, which was a stretch at the best of times.

There's every reason for support to pick up for DLC if she isn't base game. There's the versatility she offers moveset wise (can be an echo or varying degrees of unique), that she's not just A female rep but THE big outstanding female rep, she's the last essential character in a series that still isn't that well represented based on its size, and she can come packaged with content from TF (if it isn't base game) or even a new DK game depending on timing.

I hope people can stay optimistic but also be prepared to make a DLC push in the scenario Dixie isn't base game. On the one hand, characters like Geno stand to fall by the wayside (like he did after Brawl) if they too miss out, but on the other, she'll need the help standing out once the relevance-heads start flocking to the Rexes and Spring Men of the world.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I know I was drained after K. Rool was finally shown. I was completely done with his reveal but slowly my want for Dixie has been building up. We'll just have to see.

I know its a concept that will be lost else where but most people seem to be set on there being 2 newcomers left and them being Ken and incinroar. This is based on no evidence though so there is a chance still this is completely wrong and we actually get Dixie base.

Top Bottom