• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Grinch leak sucks for Dixie, but it could work out for her. She would lose major DLC competition from Isaac, Geno, and especially Banjo. If Skull Kid is a boss, what we've effectively got left is:

Dixie (+ a potential Funky echo)
Bandanna Dee
Rex/Pyra
Spring Man (+ a potential Ribbon Girl echo)

Various 3rd parties like:
Sora (+ a potential Roxas/Riku echo)
Monster Hunter
Dragon Quest rep

I could see them bundling echoes in with various characters as a bonus if they find the dev time.

What sucks is the one leak who claims Dixie was planned and later cut. If that is legit, I hope that doesn't mean that she would get passed over for DLC because she was already rejected once.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
If the leak is real and Dixie was planned, it's a good thing.

That also means she wouldn't be a rush echo either but a full character. I think she would definitely be DLC if her character was partially completed in some form. I think we'll get her this Smash guys, don't worry if she's not in the base roster.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I'd much prefer taking no Dixie in base than an echo Dixie. How many people would settle for Bad Box art Megaman over regular Megaman? That's exactly what you are telling me when you say you'd rather have an echo Dixie than no Dixie at all. I'll never compromise with that. Dixie has so much to work with as it is through her game appearances, one of which she literally serves as a counter balance to Diddy, that just reducing her to Diddy in drag would sour her legacy more than it needs to. There's already a contingent out there who already dismisses her as such, so to see that exacerbated would be terrible, and there's even the chance she isn't altered in future games, due to lack of priority if she was indeed an echo. I'll take waiting a bit for her playability. Ultimate already has a ton to offer, so I can afford waiting.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As someone who thinks this leak stands a good chance at being legitimate, I think in the longer term, it could mean good things in terms of Dixie getting in AND having a unique moveset. If the related rumor that she was planned and cut is true, perhaps the development team wanted more time to do her justice instead of forcing her into an echo capacity.

I'll echo my post from last night and say that now is the time to start gearing up for online campaigning. Circulating Dixie movesets, making a public case on social media for why she should be DLC, etc. With the Tropical Freeze port likely coming to the developers' attention after the design document was done, I think she stands a good chance, but that fans shouldn't take her odds for granted and remain quiet.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The only big competition for DLC would be of course:

1. Xenoblade 2 reps, which are a shoo-in
2. ARMS rep (Spring Man/Ribbon Girl)
3. Gen 8 Pokemon (blatantly obvious especially if Incineroar didn't make the base roster)

And then other third party reps. But Dixie could be like the Mewtwo situation in Smash U, and be a quick completed character as the others take longer to develop from scratch.

I also wonder why Skull Kid is MIA, but that's for another thread.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I agree. We need to get the ball rolling on Dixie Hype now so it's fully visible by the time DLC rolls around, or we even get a second Smash Ballot. This is probably her last chance.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Well if Dixie was in the game but cut, she may have started off as an echo but then been delayed due to re-work her. I mean if that rumor is true, she's already in the game in some form. They're not going to trash whatever working model they had going for her.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I really hope that theory is correct, cybersai. Imagine if we get a direct that ends with "Dixie Kong is on the way!" I'd pop a hard banana.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I agree with BKupa666 BKupa666 . Don't we have a Dixie for DLC site that we did for Smash 4? We could touch it up a bit and add a "What this character means to you" section like the Kutthroats did on theirs. I know I could write an essay on Dixie's importance to me and the DK franchise like I did for K. Rool.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Yep, keep in mind Sakurai doesn't start DLC till the game is complete, so all future characters like ARMS, Xenoblade 2 reps, etc. would take a while to make as they have to make them from scratch.

If Dixie has a working model already they can complete her quickly like they did with Mewtwo in Smash U. That would also "buy them some time" till the rest of the DLC comes out. I'd fully expect Dixie to be released around March then at the latest, 3 months after the game comes out. Sure we'll have to wait a while but we'll all be happy in the end anyway.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As someone who thinks this leak stands a good chance at being legitimate, I think in the longer term, it could mean good things in terms of Dixie getting in AND having a unique moveset. If the related rumor that she was planned and cut is true, perhaps the development team wanted more time to do her justice instead of forcing her into an echo capacity.

I'll echo my post from last night and say that now is the time to start gearing up for online campaigning. Circulating Dixie movesets, making a public case on social media for why she should be DLC, etc. With the Tropical Freeze port likely coming to the developers' attention after the design document was done, I think she stands a good chance, but that fans shouldn't take her odds for granted and remain quiet.
We should ALL listen to this man. He helped Spearhead K.Rool back from the dead. If anyone knows anything about campaigning and letting our voices be heard it's him! We need a Twitter campaign where we constantly tweet Sakurai and Nintendo of America for Dixie (in a nice way) with fan art and posts about how Dixie would work in Smash, make youtube videos, reddit posts, etc. (if the leak is real) We don't have a Smash Ballot to fall on like we had with K.Rool (though I voted for Dixie just as much as I did for K.Rool back then, I've always wanted both at the same time). Imagine what we could accomplish if BirthNote BirthNote and BKupa666 BKupa666 teamed up to lead the charge! Though I know Bkupa666 is probably exhausted after 13 years of fighting for K.Rool (and I wouldn't blame him).

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I agree with BKupa666 BKupa666 . Don't we have a Dixie for DLC site that we did for Smash 4? We could touch it up a bit and add a "What this character means to you" section like the Kutthroats did on theirs. I know I could write an essay on Dixie's importance to me and the DK franchise like I did for K. Rool.
Yeeeahhhhh... About that... A while back I meant to duplicate the site to do touchups without altering the original and I accidentally deleted it instead >.>"
I'll rebuild it. I still have snapshots and text docs of what was on it.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Yeeeahhhhh... About that... A while back I meant to duplicate the site to do touchups without altering the original and I accidentally deleted it instead >.>"
I'll rebuild it. I still have snapshots and text docs of what was on it.
No worries. If you'd be willing to do that for us, that would be amazing. We can post it in the OP like last time so that all of us can see it and contribute in what ways we can.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
We should ALL listen to this man. He helped Spearhead K.Rool back from the dead. If anyone knows anything about campaigning and letting our voices be heard it's him! We need a Twitter campaign where we constantly tweet Sakurai and Nintendo of America for Dixie (in a nice way) with fan art and posts about how Dixie would work in Smash, make youtube videos, reddit posts, etc. (if the leak is real) We don't have a Smash Ballot to fall on like we had with K.Rool (though I voted for Dixie just as much as I did for K.Rool back then, I've always wanted both at the same time). Imagine what we could accomplish if BirthNote BirthNote and BKupa666 BKupa666 teamed up to lead the charge! Though I know Bkupa666 is probably exhausted after 13 years of fighting for K.Rool (and I wouldn't blame him).
Thanks for the kind words, though I don't want to overstate my role in the K. Rool push. Without the many, many fans involved there, I'm just some loud guy.

And yeah, K. Rool getting in basically means I'm stepping down from active character campaigning, but that doesn't mean I can't use Kremling Kampaigner to give a (small-ish) Twitter boost to Dixie content for her advocates.

In an ideal world, both she and K. Rool would've been playable by Wii U, and I maintain K. Rool had to come first lest the general fanbase throw him under the bus as forever impossible and irrelevant, but Dixie is still a sizable hole in the roster. Her turn.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
If we really are serious about this project then we need to start assigning roles. We can break social media up between people so the burden is not as much on any one individual.

Website - I'm handling that
Twitter - I thought we had a twitter but I can't remember who ran it
Facebook -
Reddit -
4Chan/Gamefaqs - We need some brave souls lol
even if you can't contribute to any of the above content creators are always just as needed as those who run social media!

Trying to think of all resources we can use. I'm sure DK Vine would love to help with this project once we get it rolling. Are there any Rare or DK groups we should target on Facebook or discord or anything along those lines?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm leaning towards this leak actually being true as well, and despite Dixie's absence, I am still not disappointed; many of the most passionate sects of the community have gotten their number one wish, truly granting this game the title of "Ultimate". So long as the leak proves true and Diddy doesn't include her in his Final Smash, there is hope for Dixie yet if we stay vigilant. And I certainly won't complain about what a masterpiece this game is looking to be.

Characters that I could only dream of seeing in Smash back in the days of 64 and Melee are now a reality. I won't grow downshodden if this leak proves true. I won't derail from my own personal hype train. Onward and forward unto victory. DLC remains our future.

Here's to seeing a Dixie with her own number in the future.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm still banking on Dixie being in the base game, but if she isn't and was planned but cut, that's actually an honor: it means Sakurai went through the "Wario in Melee" situation again and came to the same conclusion that they couldn't just copy another character, at least 1:1. So I'm still holding out that she's not an Echo Fighter.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Other cut characters are rumors to be Custom Robo (but Nintendo let the trademark expire, so he's probably never happening), and a Monster Hunter rep...which could still happen for DLC.

So Dixie is probably most likely because she'll be the easiest to complete.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
And yeah, K. Rool getting in basically means I'm stepping down from active character campaigning, but that doesn't mean I can't use Kremling Kampaigner to give a (small-ish) Twitter boost to Dixie content for her advocates.
Would you actively campaign again for $50 ^_^" For real tho thanks for the future signal boosts and support. <3

cybersai

Smash Ace
Another thing to note, is a lot of the "competition" is in already. Big hitters like Ridley and K. Rool, long requests like Geno, Isaac, Banjo, and modern Nintendo reps like Inklings, Isabelle, Chorus Kids, etc.

Dixie Kong would only be competing in with newer Switch franchises like ARMS/Xenoblade 2/Pokemon Gen 8 which will get in inevitably either way...and the only other older request is probably Bandana Dee now. Besides Skull Kid but he may still be likely too.

Characters who are assists like Waluigi, Ashley, etc. are likely doomed this time around. At least Dixie's not an Assist.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I fully support starting to campaign for Dixie, Bkuppa666 and the Kremling Kampaign shows it works.

I've been pushing for Dixie where ever I can it might not seem much but an extra voice or vote everywhere can push up her exposure.

I think we should get a discord server up as a base and somewhere for people to go?

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
Both the times Dixie was planned to be in, she was pushed back because of another Donkey Kong character making the cut. Ain't that the worst luck? Definitely hopping on the Dixie-for-DLC wagon, she and Pyra are the two last uniques I want.

...unless they start making ATs into dlc characters.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
If the leak is real, at least now for dlc we won’t have to compete with Banjo, Isaac, and Geno.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Both the times Dixie was planned to be in, she was pushed back because of another Donkey Kong character making the cut. Ain't that the worst luck? Definitely hopping on the Dixie-for-DLC wagon, she and Pyra are the two last uniques I want.

...unless they start making ATs into dlc characters.
Which is bullcrap. Why does DK constantly get the shaft when it comes to Smash Bros. Fire Emblem got 3 newcomers last game, Mario got 2 newcomers last game, Kirby got 2 newcomers in Brawl, Zelda got 3 newcomers in Melee, Kid Icarus got 2 newcomers last game, Metroid got 2 newcomers this game, etc. How come DK can only get 1 newcomer per every other game? It's bullcrap. No reason we couldn't have gotten both Rool and Dixie this time. For Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise if you were to judge it by Smash support you would think DK sells Star Fox levels of sales. lol

Anyway I hope Sakurai goes hog wild with echoes as DLC. They aren't that hard to develop and echoes could be a great way to release DLC at a constant stream instead of like Wii U/3DS where we get characters MONTHS apart from each other and I seriously hope Medusa is among one of the first ones released.

Machete

Smash Ace
Which is bullcrap. Why does DK constantly get the shaft when it comes to Smash Bros. Fire Emblem got 3 newcomers last game, Mario got 2 newcomers last game, Kirby got 2 newcomers in Brawl, Zelda got 3 newcomers in Melee, Kid Icarus got 2 newcomers last game, Metroid got 2 newcomers this game, etc. How come DK can only get 1 newcomer per every other game? It's bullcrap. No reason we couldn't have gotten both Rool and Dixie this time. For Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise if you were to judge it by Smash support you would think DK sells Star Fox levels of sales. lol

Anyway I hope Sakurai goes hog wild with echoes as DLC. They aren't that hard to develop and echoes could be a great way to release DLC at a constant stream instead of like Wii U/3DS where we get characters MONTHS apart from each other and I seriously hope Medusa is among one of the first ones released.
Oh I absolutely believe you're right. It should've been Diddy and K.Rool in Brawl with Dixie in 4 or Diddy in Brawl, K.Rool in 4, and Dixie in Ultimate. At this point we should be debating the possibility of a Funky echo fighter or a Cranky Kong unique.

But hey, if the leak is true, Dixie was -cut-, which means she was considered and planned and maybe even worked on, which means they've not forgotten about her, they think she should be unique, and that she's Smash worthy. DLC is a tough competition since we have Rex&Pyra, Spring-Man, 8th Gen Pokemon, a new Fire Emblem character, and whatever crazy third party Sakurai can get, but she's got a good shot at it and I am sure we'll be there to support Dixie.

The perfect DK representation was always Donkey, Diddy, K.Rool and Dixie and if us Donkey Kong fans managed to get K.Rool in the roster, I am sure we can make the crew complete.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
If shes actually a contender for DLC and is not facing against the likes of Banjo, Geno, Issac, Shadow I reckon her only real challenger would be Bandanna Waddle Dee. Either way shes in good standing for a strong support base and being the most recognisable candidate.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, Bandana Dee surprises me with his amount of support. Dixie is obviously a lot more historically important, but I think Bandana Dee has a bigger following right now--likely because of the large overlap between Dixie fans and exhausted K Rool fans. At least I'm hoping that's why.

Who will win?! Goomba with a hat or Diddy in a dress??? /s

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah, Bandana Dee surprises me with his amount of support. Dixie is obviously a lot more historically important, but I think Bandana Dee has a bigger following right now--likely because of the large overlap between Dixie fans and exhausted K Rool fans. At least I'm hoping that's why.

Who will win?! Goomba with a hat or Diddy in a dress??? /s
Hopefully BOTH! Cause I want both in Smash! Double D'sLC!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I know you weren't being serious Sabertooth but it is pretty stupid that her main detraction is that shes just female Diddy. To begin with shes nothing like him even in both their most basic forms they function differently mechanically in game. The fact that she is female is actually a pretty big deal as really there wasn't many contemporary female protagonists especially ones treated equally or better than their counter parts.

I'd like both Dixie and BWD being in as well think they would both bring something unique to the roster.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If that leak is true. Then in terms of Nintendo characters, Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee will be all that remains among major historical Nintendo characters to include. Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette is another one. That would/should be the new "trinity" going forward, though it probably won't be.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I know you weren't being serious Sabertooth but it is pretty stupid that her main detraction is that shes just female Diddy. To begin with shes nothing like him even in both their most basic forms they function differently mechanically in game. The fact that she is female is actually a pretty big deal as really there wasn't many contemporary female protagonists especially ones treated equally or better than their counter parts.

I'd like both Dixie and BWD being in as well think they would both bring something unique to the roster.
I agree with that statement Dixie and Bandana Dee feel like characters that should be in due to their unique move set potential(so far no one heavily uses hair or have a spear) importance and popularly. I hope both can get in honestly.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Did forget about Toad although not to knock him he seems to offer less than Dixie and BWD though unless I'm missing some major thing. Only idea I can think of is Mario party as a source of moves other than captain toad.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I just have a very tough time believing Dixie would be scrapped yet again, even though her fan-base and even relevance has exploded since her last exclusion from the roster.

In fact, I kind of have a tough time believing the leak in general, even though I'd be delighted beyond belief to see Banjo-Kazooie. I just think people are fatigued from the drought and willing to believe pretty much anything at this point.

As for myself, I plan to temper my expectations and rely solely on the next Direct for info. This game is already going to be excellent, and whatever characters we do get will be what they'll be. If Dixie doesn't make it, then we just need to take an example from BKupa666 BKupa666 and campaign/fight harder than ever for DLC. If being a K. Rool fan has taught me anything over the years, it's never to give up.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
yeah thats where im at too. this leak has a lot going for it being real but until we get some officially-released information to compare it to then its just as real as any other leak. certainly something to keep an eye on though.

dixie, bandana dee, and toad are like the three important nintendo characters left who feel like they should be in by now. toad's chances are admittedly slim since he's part of peach's moveset and captain toad is on new donk city but dlc kinda bends the rules a little bit sometimes (we had two roys in smash 4) so not entirely ruling him out. bandana dee probably has the best chance of any of them for base game since he was pretty popular during the ballot. dixie still feels like a big wild card and the only thing we really have to work with is the fact that we've barely seen anything from diddy so far, which doesn't even necessarily indicate anything good.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie is still the most important old Nintendo rep. Captain Toad/Toadette do have a strong chance too, but they may sit out even DLC till Smash 6-7, etc.

Bandana Dee is probably viewed as low priority because it's indistinguishable from a common enemy besides the bandana and has no unique name.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If that leak is true. Then in terms of Nintendo characters, Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee will be all that remains among major historical Nintendo characters to include. Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette is another one. That would/should be the new "trinity" going forward, though it probably won't be.
Couldn't agree more with this. But judging by the internet and even on this site based on some of the support threads people seem more interested in throwing any old random 3rd party character in than actual Nintendo characters to a NINTENDO fighting game, if I didn't know any better I'd think most Smash fans want to turn Smash into this:

makes me sick...lol

cybersai

Smash Ace
The good thing is third parties all compete with each other, Nintendo reps are viewed and counted separately.

If the leak is real, Simon/Richter and Banjo are the only new third parties, besides Geno who is mix of a Square and Mario character. They don't flood the roster with third parties.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
It's making me antsy that Dixie hasn't really made an appearance since Tropical Freeze. Even regardless of Smash, I don't want her to completely disappear from games. If only we still got Donkey Kong spin-offs.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Sakurai really did listen to long fan requests if this is true, so Dixie could come.

People waited 10+ years for Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, Isaac, and Banjo Kazooie in particular. For some of us that's almost half our lives! If those long requests got in, I can't see Dixie being left behind much longer.

Top Bottom