• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

cybersai

Smash Ace
It's good to see the full series up and of course Dixie's main game. The interesting thing is how many times the DKC trilogy has been officially released by Nintendo:

1. The original SNES releases (of course)

2. The Gameboy Advance ports in the early 2000's. I never played the GBA versions, but aside from having weaker graphics than the SNES ones they're competent ports as far as I can tell

3. The Wii Virtual Console releases back in 2007-2008

4. The Wii-U Virtual Console releases between 2013-2015

5. The 3DS Virtual Console releases of DKC 1-3 (playable on NEW 3DS systems only)

6. DKC1 was on the SNES classic, but sadly not 2 and 3

7. The Nintendo Switch Online releases of DKC 1-3

So technically this is the 7th time the DKC trilogy has been released over the years. Got to hand it to Nintendo, they sure did keep the DKC trilogy relevant through every generation. Younger fans had so many chances to catch up on the games through every system.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So technically this is the 7th time the DKC trilogy has been released over the years. Got to hand it to Nintendo, they sure did keep the DKC trilogy relevant through every generation. Younger fans had so many chances to catch up on the games through every system.
Yeah too bad King K.Rool can't be added to Smash due to kids not knowing who he is due to how irrelevant he is. I mean what kid owns a SNES? :troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Preach.

Oh, and for the people complaining about Earthbound and SMRPG not being on SNES NSO, remember that they were put on the SNES Classic, while DKC2 and 3 were snubbed. Let DK fans have their moment.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Am I the only one bothered that everytime DKC3 is being marketed they use the first level to show it off? It's such a poor representation of what the whole game is. DKC3 has some of the moodiest levels and music pieces I've heard, and it gets way thougher than one might expect from K3 and onwards (Not to mention the GBA port's Pacifica and the brilliant idea to merge the DKC2's wind with a water level).
I bet many people that say the game is a "cartoon ride" and the music is "bad" made up their minds by just looking and listening to the first level.

Anyway, the DKC trilogy will be complete on Switch soon, and the three Country adventures of Dixie will be available for everyone to play!!

And I agree, DKC Returns needs a definitive edition, the NVIDIA Shield got it while we still have to choose between Wii and the 3DS for framerate or controls.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I always got an upper North American vibe from DKC3, which is amusing given the previous choices in settings.

"Okay we've done the tropical island with jungles for DKC1 and the enemy island with various biotopes in DKC2, what's the next obvious exotic and adventurous place to draw inspiration from for this series?"

"Uh... Canada?"

"Perfect. I want lakes and lumberjack mills being designed today!"

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I always got an upper North American vibe from DKC3, which is amusing given the previous choices in settings.

"Okay we've done the tropical island with jungles for DKC1 and the enemy island with various biotopes in DKC2, what's the next obvious exotic and adventurous place to draw inspiration from for this series?"

"Uh... Canada?"

That too. I could see Canada being a influence on DKC3 as well as Colorado.

cybersai

Smash Ace
DKC3 gets overlooked because it came out in 1996, the same year the Nintendo 64 and Mario 64 came out. The SNES was on its last days in 1996 and Nintendo's upcoming 3D console and the back then revolutionary Mario 64 was on everyones minds.

That and Kiddie Kong has always been poorly received, I wonder if DK or Diddy were playable alongside Dixie it would be a better way to round out the trilogy.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
DKC3 gets overlooked because it came out in 1996, the same year the Nintendo 64 and Mario 64 came out. The SNES was on its last days in 1996 and Nintendo's upcoming 3D console and the back then revolutionary Mario 64 was on everyones minds.

That and Kiddie Kong has always been poorly received, I wonder if DK or Diddy were playable alongside Dixie it would be a better way to round out the trilogy.
Plus the team that made the first two DKC games were moved to work on Dream/Banjo-Kazooie. So another team at Rare was appointed making DKC3.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Am I the only one bothered that everytime DKC3 is being marketed they use the first level to show it off?
I think the worst part of DKC3's marketing was back when it first released when they tried to market Kiddy Kong as the main protagonist because they thought female protagonists wouldn't sell. (because a male baby would be more appealing?)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

"Uh... Canada?"

I read that in J Jonah Jameson's voice lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't mind the pier as Dixie's stage, we get enough jungle stages as it is.

"Uh... Canada?"

I mean, it's called the Northern Kremisphere for a reason.

That too. I could see Canada being a influence on DKC3 as well as Colorado.
Not to mention the fjords of Scandinavia.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I wouldn't mind the pier either as it is probably the most iconic level archetype in DKC3, but as a stage I'd hope maybe they could throw some gimmicks from other levels in. Like maybe every so often a ripsaw comes in and forces you to another part of the stage. Or maybe clouds could roll in and lightning strikes the stage? As far as stage gimmicks go, DKC3 has a lot to pick from.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
A little late to a very important party, but... took long while enough. It's nice to see Dixie's Double Trouble finally here~!

I wouldn't mind the pier either as it is probably the most iconic level archetype in DKC3, but as a stage I'd hope maybe they could throw some gimmicks from other levels in. Like maybe every so often a ripsaw comes in and forces you to another part of the stage. Or maybe clouds could roll in and lightning strikes the stage? As far as stage gimmicks go, DKC3 has a lot to pick from.

I wonder if there could be an approach to something we saw with :ulttoonlink:'s Pirate Ship-stage - where you either have the piers as the main stage area, but the stage itself would indeed shift through say, various times of the day, or even seasons? I could definitely see a storm brew on the lake, or even get the "inverted controls"-water suddenly reaching the lake's body of water itself. In whole, the stage gimmicks that'd synergize well with the lake-centric theme and elements, could really keep the stage itself relatively interesting.

I could see a nice space for important NPCs of DKC3 to appear in this level as well such as the Brother Bears, maybe using the vehicles Dixie & Kiddy had in their adventure via Funky Kong. Could easily see a fun screenshot ideas for Banjo seeing one of those on official Smash-website someway. Then we could ahve Banana Birds + Queen Bird also flocking around the area - or even contribute to stage element's changing if being collected by the players (though that might lean on copying the Materia Summons-gimmick from Midgar-stage).

Oh, and it absolutely must have Wrinkly Kong on the stage's background, watching the match on her rocking chair or working out - it'd make also a fine parallel to Cranky's activities inside his hut as we see in Jungle Japes.

On that end, there could maybe be this "cruise" archetype level, where the characters would be somehow travelling through various parts of Northern Kremisphere's iconic locals, changing the level gimmicks along the way. Probably it'd always start around at Lake Orangatanga's piers, and then moving either chronologically through each world though that sounds pretty crazy to program now that I think about it... :drohmy:

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So it could be either or. I would need to see DK in his house again after the rival shots to be convinced of Dixie.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Thanks for proving my point? Banjo’s a Rare character, and Dixie’s the only other one they would do that for, so yeah.

The rival shots alone though could just mean another villain, not necessarily Dixie.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thanks for proving my point? Banjo’s a Rare character, and Dixie’s the only other one they would do that for, so yeah.

The rival shots alone though could just mean another villain, not necessarily Dixie.
Only other Rare character I could see them do the gag with is Conker but I don't see him as being very likely. I think Dixie is next.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice

If Dixie gets in, I hope her trailer ends with a CGI version of the above. The camera zooms out to see other Smash characters join them just like they do in Brawl. It would be really fitting, especially because she was meant to be playable in Brawl.

Last edited:

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
Obligatory "get hyped about DKC3 rereleasing tomorrow" post

Cue your Dixie Beats, Rockface Rumbles, Nuts and Bolts, Treetop Tumbles and whatever other DKC3 track cranks your nostalgia meter up to 11!

Tomorrow, Kiddy, Brash, Ellie, and not to mention the most brilliantly designed and executed boss in DKC history, SQUIRT...

1608264044021.png

... will be landing on our switches!

Last edited:

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
Rapt to see DKC3 on NSO. I have a soft spot for it, it's my favourite DKC title.

Here's a pic of my Australian Nintendo Donkey Kong Country 3 promo poster. This would've been displayed in stores to promote the game. Love how the artwork pops, it's so vibrant.

http://instagr.am/p/CI4z_FNHQ0V/
Unsure how to get images embedded, not working for me but its in that link.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, you can't embed instagram images, but the link works.

Game is already out now with the SNES app updated. Was gonna go to sleep like an hour ago, but decided to get a headstart on the game real quick. Is as good as I remembered so far, though forgot how annoying it can be to do Kiddy's water skidding.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong Country 3 making it onto the Switch online is fantastic news. As I have said many times before, that game is quite underrated, and I personally regard it as probably the best SNES platformer outside of Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and DKC2. Its level design, gameplay, and boss fights are easily superior to DKC1. It is among the reasons why Dixie Kong ended up being my favorite DK character (DKC2 and DKC3 were my two favorite games in the series) .

Also, we miraculously got another character confirmed only two months after Steve's unveil. It ended up being Sephiroth of all things. I never would have guessed that character. For the past two years, I have been saying that Geno was very likely for DLC due to an assortment of reasons (one of which was the Mii costume missing from Hero's update as well as Sakurai's personal statements on Geno back in 2016). It is surreal to me to see him out for Ultimate, considering his fanbase was the only one left standing after the November 2018 direct (the only highly supported character that had not been given a major consolation prize in the base game). I can now see why Nintendo and/or Sakurai (and possibly Square-Enix) did not go with Geno, especially in comparison to someone like Sephiroth.

Now as for my thoughts on Sephiroth, as I said before I am very surprised that he happened. I never expected or considered him as a realistic possibility. However, I will admit he is a gaming icon, and Sakurai is correct that he is one of most famous villains in gaming. Much like the inclusion of Cloud five years ago (of which Cloud's inclusion signaled that Smash Bros. was becoming a series for gaming all-stars as opposed to simply Nintendo all-stars and a few third-party characters with a notable history on Nintendo platforms), Sephiroth's inclusion signals further possibly the next step in regards to third-party character inclusions which is treating third-party series as if they were veteran Nintendo franchises, and try to get the major characters for those franchises onto the roster.

This sort of development makes a character like Dixie Kong even more of a relic. She is the kind of character with the resume that would have gotten her high placing to the most wanted newcomer polls during the pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4 eras, but most of the Smash fanbase's desires have now shifted over to almost entirely third-parties. There are very few Nintendo characters that still seem to enjoy a large amount of support. The very few seem to be Bandanna Dee, Waluigi, Isaac, and Dixie Kong. There are a lot of people who would like to see her in, but she is not a part of the overall Top 10 (I would say Top 20). On this site though, strangely enough, Dixie Kong has the 4th largest support thread despite never seeming like a likely candidate for Smash DLC.

With the return of Geno's Mii costume, I do not see any more spirit promotions happening. I think Min Min will be the sole exception, and that she will most likely be the last Nintendo character added to Ultimate's roster. I am going to write a new post in my Pass 2 predictions topic detailing what I think the remaining three slots are probably going to be.

Aside from that, I have an assortment of planned posts I want to get out within the next two weeks. One is pertaining to that historical Smash polling essay I talked about a year ago. It details three epochs for Smash Bros. One at the release of Smash 4 3DS (October 2014). The second in June 2018 prior to Ultimate's unveil. The third in June of this year (2020). Each of these polls paints a picture of what the Smash fanbase's desires were (macro and micro) at that particular point in time, and might help us better understand the transition the Smash fanbase is at now with wanting almost entirely third-party characters.

Another is a massive essay pertaining to the deconfirmation of Geno. While I was not a Geno supporter, I do feel sympathy for Geno supporters, and I hope to make them feel better through sharing stories about my own personal experiences with Super Mario RPG, written stories about my own personal Geno's (minor game characters that I am personally fond of), an essay about understanding how fortunate the Mii costume even was, an essay about hope for the future in regards to Smash inclusion, and finally an essay about the nature of actually "winning" (your character of choice making it onto Smash's roster) and what is truly important in the long run for the individuals within these fanbases. It is very comprehensive.

I also plan to make another large post in this thread before the end of the year reflecting on the developments that have happened for Dixie Kong this year, and how things look for her going into 2021.

I hope these posts prove to be worth your time, and that they offer some intriguing insight.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I think the Sephiroth inclusion does confirm to is that the notion of the DLC about introducing new worlds to Smash ways always more of a pleasant side bonus to getting characters that Nintendo and/or Sakura wanted. After all much of the justification by some for not including Bandana Dee, Dixie, Impa was that the Fighter's Passes were bring fresh elements to Smash rather than what was already in it. Yet Byleth getting was always a sticking point (no matter how many knots people tried to tie themselves into explain how it was a new world from Fire Emblem) and having yet another FF7 character in demonstrates that even more.

I don't say the following as a criticism or complaint just an observation based on what I've seen; there appears to be a greater interest in certain fighters/IP's more than others. It seems likely to assume that potential less important characters from older Nintendo franchises are not a priority to them for one reason or another. That doesn't make the developers wrong or disrespectful of those series, just that they don't view such characters as either fitting or notable enough for Smash. That's a disappointment to me, but I think its a lot more intellectually honest to acknowledge that than try and have a list of unrelated explanations for why Sephiroth was chosen. Nintendo seeing more value in him as a fighter (and perhaps sensing his popularity) is all the explanation needed and I don't its unfair view from their perspective, even if my personal tastes differ.

It does have me thinking that most first party characters going forward are unlikely though, given where Smash Ultimate has placed its emphasis. I've seen where much of the attention has been, and it has not been towards the likes of DKC or Kirby. I'd love to be dead wrong and have the pass end with a surprise inclusion of a Dixie or BWD; however I just don't get that sense from what I've seen. I'm still interested to see how the rest of the DLC goes (and if there's another pass); its just that as someone who always easily imagined that Geno would not get in (thus lessening the blow of the past week) that same expectation is there with the aforementioned characters, as much as I wish that wasn't the case.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So imagine the next reveal trailer starts off with this:

What will be your reaction? I'll scream like a school girl.
I think for Dixie's trailer they would do a montage of the female characters like Peach, Zelda, Palutena, Lucina, Daisy, etc, rather than villains.

They would also be able to reuse that montage with Dixie added at the end, just like they reused the Rool one for Banjo, if they wanted to add any other female character to a formerly 100% male represented series like Krystal for Star Fox or Chun-Li for Street Fighter.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I sympathize with fans, I never felt Geno was as big as he was made out to be; not only did I feel comparing him to the most requested characters that got in Ultimate to be a stretch, but even out of Square, it's not even close as to whose more known between him and Sephiroth. Plus they didn't campaign for their character when it mattered most, during the ballot era. I will agree though that using the exact same Mii costume to be sold twice is kinda lazy, but being Mii'd again was what I expected of him regardless. His costume was first released alongside Cloud in SSB4, yeah? Fitting I guess that it happens alongside another FF character if the puppet was to maintain any presence other than a full fledged playable fighter...

And yeah, with the way things are now in the ever expanding 3rd party climate, I feel whenever Dixie in Smash happens, it might be too late for a lot of us to be as ecstatic about it, compared if she somehow happened now in this game at least.

Already saw some anti-Kiddy meming in a DKC3 game clip, smh... Gonna get back on that here soon in any case.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Already saw some anti-Kiddy meming in a DKC3 game clip, smh... Gonna get back on that here soon in any case.
Kiddy Kong's eternal nemesis Jon Cartwright has been doing a Kiddy Kong less run of DKC3 on his twitter.

Even Rare themselves acknowledged the rivalry.

swsw.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom