• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disney Presents: Kingdom of Combat (a Disney-themed platform fighting game)

Which version of Mickey Mouse should we use?

• Classic Mickey Mouse

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Fantasia Mickey Mouse

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. Elsa. Need I say more? Look, I feel like this is more of a "getting her out of the way" pick. Not even in a reductive way to the submitter, moreso like, you wouldn't make a Smash roster without ****ing Luigi
2. Rapunzel. Honestly a really solid pick that makes a lot of sense. Plenty of unique potential and Tangled is honestly a pretty important turning point in "modern Disney", so yeah, why not!
3. Stitch. Hey, people still love this lil guy to this day, and a small alien gremlin would lend to a pretty unique archetype moveset-wise. He seems like fun.

Lots of great submissions here, though! Maui and Ralph came hella close.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so let's see the results for Job #03:
Elsa: 20 points
Wreck-It Ralph: 13 points
Kuzco: 2 points
Maui: 0 points
Stitch: 20 points
Rapunzel: 4 points
Bolt: 0 points
Judy Hopps: 0 points
Olaf: 0 points
Baymax: 1 point
Luisa Madrigal: 0 points

Elsa and Stitch are tied for first place with 20 points each. Generally speaking, I'd call for a tiebreaker vote but:
  1. We are very early in the making of the game
  2. Everyone who voted either had Elsa or Stitch as their first pick, a tiebreaker probably wouldn't change this issue
  3. Most likely, both Elsa AND Stitch will get in regardless
With all that considered, I'll make an exception and allow for both of them to be in the game.

ELSA AND STITCH JOIN THE ROSTER
#03_Elsa.png
#17_Stitch.png

Congratulations to AlteredBeast AlteredBeast and SmasherMaster SmasherMaster for submitting the first winning character(s). These two are both very good choices and I am looking forward to their movesets.
Enough with Job #03, let's finish with Job #02, with the last three "parts" of it:
Job #02.4: Should Marvel be included?
Job #02.5: Should Lucasfilm and Star Wars be included?
Job #02.7: Should 20th Century Fox be included?

Again, simply vote if you want these subsidiaries to be part of this project. Moving on to some other jobs...

Job #04: Submit a name for the game
We can't go on calling this project Disney Platform Fighter! We need a catchy name for the game. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with, since I am pretty bad at giving names.

Job #05: Submit a moveset template for the characters
This will be the first of some gameplay-related jobs needed to have a better idea on how the game would work. They may not be the most exciting jobs, but in they are fundamental. And this job in particular will be needed before we submit movesets for Mickey Mouse, Elsa, and Stitch.

Once Job #02 will be over (which will be the case after these three questions, if I am not mistaken) we will be able to pinpoint how many characters we will be able to fit into the game. Regardless of that though, I think that Elsa and Stitch aren't a waste of space.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Marvel Characters/Content:

Yes, but in very limited quantity.

Lucasfilm/Star Wars Characters/Content:

Same answer as for Marvel stuff

20th Century Fox Content/Characters:

I am leaning towards no but maybe as DLC.

Job #4

Disney: Wishing Star Scuffle

Sounds pretty obvious as Disney has a thing for wishing as well as for stars. Plus, these are superstar characters that are fighting after all.

Job #5

I would say same moveset template as Melee/Project+ but with a new competitively-viable Super Gimmick called "Wishing Stars". Basically, there are three levels of Supers each character can perform and they are balanced for the competitive scene.

D

Deleted member

No to all three in base. We'll see when we get to DLC.

Edit: Thinking about it there are one or two fox things I think could fit but ill still say no for now

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 2.4/2.5/2.7:Marvel,Star Wars and Fox Content

Well,i think these three will works as DLC characters,but i think that would be one or two or three characters for the roster

Job 4:Disney All-Stars:Dream Battle

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Jobs #02.4, #02.5, #02.6: No to all three. They are too different from Disney and Pixar. Fox characters are... not that iconic, in a way, whereas with Star Wars and Marvel you'd need to have a lot of characters in order not to pick the same old picks like Darth Vader or Spider-Man. And besides, I think that Disney and Pixar already give us plenty of stuff to work with.

Job #05: I am advocating for a very simple template here.
Grounded attacks
Neutral/Side ground
Up ground
Down ground

Aerial attacks
Neutral/Side aerial
Up Aerial
Down Aerial

Special moves
Neutral/Side specials
Up Special
Down Special

Grab and Throws (which work like in NASB), Guard (essentially Smash's shields), and Dodges (but they work like in MultiVersus)

Grand Finale (essentially a Final Smash, can be charged through a meter or with a Smash Ball of sorts)
This template essentially combines NASB and MultiVersus but it's even simpler. The catches here are that:
1. You can charge most attacks and a few selected special moves
2. You have plenty of variety with your attacks (like with MultiVersus, certain attacks can be unique projectiles)
3. Some special moves are completely different on the ground and in midair.

Essentially, this template gives you the freedom you need when designing movesets while also not being overly complicated. After all, you need to remember that the game would be aimed to children too and that most Disney characters are not known for throwing hands (think about Baloo, Winnie the Pooh, Wall-E, and Cinderella, for some examples): having fewer moves gives the moves characters get a more unique feeling.

EDIT: forgot Grand Finale

Last edited:
Job #2.4: Marvel Reps
Job #2.5: Lucasfilm Reps
Job #2.6: 20th Century Fox Reps

I wouldn't include anything from those companies in the base game. And even if DLC is on the table, I would only include one or two fighters per division in total.

In other words:
Base Game: Fat no.
DLC: Yes, but in VERY limited quantities.

Job #4: The Name of the Game
I would call it Disney's House of Pain, which would be a reference to the House of Mouse tagline, as well as the idea of it being a fighting game.

Job #5: Moveset Layout
Here's how I would suggest it:

To start, you have four special moves per fighter, plus some normal attacks based on which direction you aim them at:

1: Neutral special
2: Side special
3: Up special
4: Down special

5: Neutral-B
6: Side-B
7: Up-B
8: Down-B
9: Back-B

Yes, I would add a backside attack, sort of like Terry Bogard in Smash Ultimate.

Next, I would add defensive ploys like guarding, grabbing, throwing, and dodging. Stuff you'd see in other fighting games and/or platform fighters.

Finally, there would be two meters at the top of the screen. The first meter is your health gauge, and it works like a normal health gauge.

However, your second meter unleashes a finishing move called "White Out", named after the vintage method of ink and paint in animation history. This meter looks like the famous Mickey symbol, where two of the bars are represented as his even more famous ears, while the head circle is divided into four bars.

To unlock this finishing move, you have to perform up to 20 hits in quick succession. However, to make it easier on the target audience, this does not mean you require a 20-hit combo in order to use it. There will be a 5-second cooldown allowed between shorter combos to reach the target.

But in the event of your opponent being much weaker than you are by the time you unleash your super move, it instead unlocks "Friendship Mode", where your fighter and one of his or her opponents do something more constructive together, like having Mickey paint something for Elsa, or having Stitch imitate Mickey for chutes and giggles, for example.

And yes, for those whose minds are in Pennywise's possession, I am aware that the name "White Out" could have some unfortunate implications to some people. For that, I am sorry in advance.

I know my way of playing is a bit too hard for the target audience, but once you get the hang of it, the game could be fun for all ages. And isn't that the point of a Disney fighting game?

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 2.4, 2.5, 2.7: They should only be included as DLC, if I want to play marvel characters I'd play MvC.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 4: the title of the game
Disney Presents: Kingdom of Combat

It just sounds nice to me.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Ok, so let's see the results for Job #03:
Elsa: 20 points
Wreck-It Ralph: 13 points
Kuzco: 2 points
Maui: 0 points
Stitch: 20 points
Rapunzel: 4 points
Bolt: 0 points
Judy Hopps: 0 points
Olaf: 0 points
Baymax: 1 point
Luisa Madrigal: 0 points

Elsa and Stitch are tied for first place with 20 points each. Generally speaking, I'd call for a tiebreaker vote but:
  1. We are very early in the making of the game
  2. Everyone who voted either had Elsa or Stitch as their first pick, a tiebreaker probably wouldn't change this issue
  3. Most likely, both Elsa AND Stitch will get in regardless
With all that considered, I'll make an exception and allow for both of them to be in the game.

ELSA AND STITCH JOIN THE ROSTER
View attachment 370196View attachment 370197
Congratulations to AlteredBeast AlteredBeast and SmasherMaster SmasherMaster for submitting the first winning character(s). These two are both very good choices and I am looking forward to their movesets.
Enough with Job #03, let's finish with Job #02, with the last three "parts" of it:
Job #02.4: Should Marvel be included?
Job #02.5: Should Lucasfilm and Star Wars be included?
Job #02.7: Should 20th Century Fox be included?

Again, simply vote if you want these subsidiaries to be part of this project. Moving on to some other jobs...

We can't go on calling this project Disney Platform Fighter! We need a catchy name for the game. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with, since I am pretty bad at giving names.

Job #05: Submit a moveset template for the characters
This will be the first of some gameplay-related jobs needed to have a better idea on how the game would work. They may not be the most exciting jobs, but in they are fundamental. And this job in particular will be needed before we submit movesets for Mickey Mouse, Elsa, and Stitch.

Once Job #02 will be over (which will be the case after these three questions, if I am not mistaken) we will be able to pinpoint how many characters we will be able to fit into the game. Regardless of that though, I think that Elsa and Stitch aren't a waste of space.
Jobs #02.4, #02.5 & #02.6: No, thank you. Frankly, it all feels like a bit much. Like everyone else has said, Disney's got more than enough on its own. DLC could work well for these, but base roster?... ech, nah.

Job #04: Sparkling Smackdown! **** it why not

Job #05: I'm just going to submit "Smash Ultimate's control scheme" as a suggestion at this point seems as we're pretty much all familiar with it. In place of a Smash Ball, though, imagine it's got two extra spheres on it. Boom. Mickeyfied

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Marvel and Star Wars and Fox: No, could get their own fighting game

Disney Dream Duel

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Jobs #2.4 and #2.5
No. I think these two properties should mostly be held off for DLC as while Disney does heavily promote and use them, they could easily overtake the game (an apt comparison would be Disney Infinity which second and third installments being focused almost exclusively on them). Depending on the scope of the game, (lets say 40+ in the character roster) I'd say we could maybe give them one or two each playable characters.

Job #2.6
No. I think there are only two 20th Century Fox properties that should be considered for even half a second. Those are Avatar and the Simpsons. However, I personally feel that both of these should be considered only after both Marvel and Star Wars have been given decent amount of attention.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so for Jobs #02.4, #02.5, and #02.6 it seems that everyone either doesn't want or wants very few things from Marvel, Lucasfilm, and 20th Century Fox in the base game. So for now we'll keep these three subsidiaries out. Maybe we'll talk again about them when it comes to DLCs, but it is going to be a long road.

As for the other Jobs, here are the options:

Disney: Wishing Star Scuffle (submitted by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Disney-All Stars: Dream Battle (submitted by DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Disney's House of Pain (submitted by M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye )
Disney Kingdom of Combat (submitted by Soul_of_Xeno Soul_of_Xeno )
Sparkling Smackdown! (submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Disney Dream Duel (submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )

Vote for the two you like the most. Your submission can't be your first vote.

Job #05: Submit a moveset template
I would say same moveset template as Melee/Project+ but with a new competitively-viable Super Gimmick called "Wishing Stars". Basically, there are three levels of Supers each character can perform and they are balanced for the competitive scene.
Grounded attacks
Neutral/Side ground
Up ground
Down ground

Aerial attacks
Neutral/Side aerial
Up Aerial
Down Aerial

Special moves
Neutral/Side specials
Up Special
Down Special

Grab and Throws (which work like in NASB), Guard (essentially Smash's shields), and Dodges (but they work like in MultiVersus)

Grand Finale (essentially a Final Smash, can be charged through a meter or with a Smash Ball of sorts)
This template essentially combines NASB and MultiVersus but it's even simpler. The catches here are that:
1. You can charge most attacks and a few selected special moves
2. You have plenty of variety with your attacks (like with MultiVersus, certain attacks can be unique projectiles)
3. Some special moves are completely different on the ground and in midair.

Essentially, this template gives you the freedom you need when designing movesets while also not being overly complicated. After all, you need to remember that the game would be aimed to children too and that most Disney characters are not known for throwing hands (think about Baloo, Winnie the Pooh, Wall-E, and Cinderella, for some examples): having fewer moves gives the moves characters get a more unique feeling.

EDIT: forgot Grand Finale
To start, you have four special moves per fighter, plus some normal attacks based on which direction you aim them at:

1: Neutral special
2: Side special
3: Up special
4: Down special

5: Neutral-B
6: Side-B
7: Up-B
8: Down-B
9: Back-B

Yes, I would add a backside attack, sort of like Terry Bogard in Smash Ultimate.

Next, I would add defensive ploys like guarding, grabbing, throwing, and dodging. Stuff you'd see in other fighting games and/or platform fighters.

Finally, there would be two meters at the top of the screen. The first meter is your health gauge, and it works like a normal health gauge.

However, your second meter unleashes a finishing move called "White Out", named after the vintage method of ink and paint in animation history. This meter looks like the famous Mickey symbol, where two of the bars are represented as his even more famous ears, while the head circle is divided into four bars.

To unlock this finishing move, you have to perform up to 20 hits in quick succession. However, to make it easier on the target audience, this does not mean you require a 20-hit combo in order to use it. There will be a 5-second cooldown allowed between shorter combos to reach the target.

But in the event of your opponent being much weaker than you are by the time you unleash your super move, it instead unlocks "Friendship Mode", where your fighter and one of his or her opponents do something more constructive together, like having Mickey paint something for Elsa, or having Stitch imitate Mickey for chutes and giggles, for example.

And yes, for those whose minds are in Pennywise's possession, I am aware that the name "White Out" could have some unfortunate implications to some people. For that, I am sorry in advance.

I know my way of playing is a bit too hard for the target audience, but once you get the hang of it, the game could be fun for all ages. And isn't that the point of a Disney fighting game?
I'm just going to submit "Smash Ultimate's control scheme" as a suggestion at this point seems as we're pretty much all familiar with it. In place of a Smash Ball, though, imagine it's got two extra spheres on it. Boom. Mickeyfied
Here are the four templates that have been submitted. Vote for the two you like the most by saying the name of the person that submitted it ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast , M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye , KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 , or me). Your submission can't be your first vote.

Here are my votes:
Job #04:
1. Disney: Wishing Star Scuffle: Wishing Star really sells the idea of Disney to me and, as AlteredBeast said, it cleverly references the fact that we are, indeed, playing as superstar characters. And besides, "Scuffle" is such a fun word and it somehow fits Disney very well.
2. Sparkling Smackdown!: I'll admit that the exclamation mark really sold the title here. But it is a fun name, way less serious than Wishing Star Scuffle in a way but equally interesting.

Job #05:
1. KneeOfJustice99's template: the Mickeyfied Smash Ball was the deal-maker here.
2. My template: I'd like to have a game with simpler movesets for once and I think that this time it could work.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
1. Disney's Kingdom of Combat
2: Disney: Wishing Star Scuffle

1. LoZ00's template (Love the simplicity.)
2. Master Hero Sock-on-Rye's template

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Roughly 24 hours have passed since voting started, so it's time to see the results for Job #04:
Disney: Wishing Star Scuffle: 8 points
Disney All-Stars: Dream Battle: 0 points
Disney's House of Pain: 0 points
Disney Kingdom of Combat: 10 points
Sparkling Smackdown!: 2 points
Disney Dream Duel: 3 points

So it's settled: Disney Kingdom of Combat will be! Congratulations to Soul_of_Xeno Soul_of_Xeno ! Lots of really good suggestions, though! I wouldn't be surprised to see an official Disney fighting game had a name similar to one thrown in this topic.

----

Let's see the results for Job #05 as well:
AlteredBeast: 4 points
LoZ00: 11 points
Master Hero Sock-on-Rye: 4 points
KneeOfJustice99: 2 points

My template will be used. I thank everyone who voted for it: hopefully, it will be fun designing movesets with such a simple but flexible template.

----

Now that we have a clear idea of which subsidiaries will be included in the base game and which might eventually be DLC exclusive, I think we can move on to:
Job #06: How many characters will the base game roster have?
Please, be somewhat realistic with this number. For the purpose of clarity, I will only accept rosters that range from 20 to 56 characters. Anything less than 20 or more than 56 will be considered unconceivable for the base game.

Job #07: Submit a Mickey Mouse themed stage
The name says it all. Pick any stage that you would associate to Mickey Mouse. Please, add a short description of the stage layout and any other information you deem important to your submission.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 6

I am going to say 36 characters. It's a nice round number, you can do a 6x6 roster for it. It'll give us enough room to represent Disney as it would be in a realistic Disney platform fighter if they poured in some competitive platfighter spirit of course.

Job 7

House of Mouse

MV5BOWQwYjBlMGYtNTIwYS00ZTkyLTk1YzQtYTNmYTFhNjdhOThhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1Njg5NTA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

Based on the dinner theater club ran by Mickey and his friends comes the House of Mouse. This stage will have a Smashville layout inside the theater where you will fight by the movie screen showcasing various Mickey Mouse cartoons from over the years. I feel Mickey Mouse should have a competitively viable stage due to him being....well, the face of Disney himself.

I was considering Steamboat Willie but House of Mouse just seems better to pack in those small appearances from all the past Mickey Mouse cartoons playing in the background while you fight.

Well, I'm glad my template got up to second or third place, depending what your stance on that is.

Job #6
I would go for the maximum amount of fighters with a 56 fighter roster. I'd imagine that for a company like DISNEY, it would only scratch the surface of potential characters. And that could be without getting into Marvel, Star Wars, or Simpsons at all.

Job #7
While choosing the actual House of Mouse is a glorious idea, I'm going with a more perennial favorite:

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (Fantasia)
The Sorcerer's Apprentice by jazzywinters on DeviantArt

In this stage, you play on top of one giant platform and 2-4 levitating platforms on top. Going for a sort of "Smash Battlefield" look. Not only that, but if Mickey is not one of the selected fighters, you can even see him casting magic in the background. The magic has no effect on the stage, because I'm trying to make it competitively viable here.

As for why it should be the designated Mickey Mouse stage over Steamboat Willie or House of Mouse, there's a perfectly good reason for that: The short it came from has an immeasurable pedigree, being the only Fantasia segment to appear in both movies, airing on Toon Disney as the first cartoon on the channel, and Sorcerer Mickey himself is a big part of the Disney Parks, the home video division, and our first debate on this game.

Why SHOULDN'T this be our Mickey stage for the game? Because he deserves two a la Mario in Smash 64, that's why.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job #06: 30 characters. I’m submitting this mainly to have the option of a lower number. And besides, I think it could actually work, although you will have to make a choice here and there.

I’m submitting the stage later.

D

Deleted member

Steamboat_Willie_itself.jpg

Steamboat Willie

From the iconic cartoon of the same name. Players fight on the boat as it travels through the sea. The boat itself is fairly small, but every now and then it may stop at a dock to give you some more room to fight. Pete makes a cameo and the stage is rendered in B&W like Timeless River from KH2

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job007_ClockCleaners.jpeg

Job #07: Clock Cleaners
This stage, named after the famous short that features Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy and located inside the eponymous clock that the three are cleaning, is rather large and gimmicky. It has one main platform in the middle, represented by a giant gear that rotates a bit, but it's merely an aesthetic effect. However, there are many other hazards and platforms in the stage, like a smaller platform attached to a gear that moves up and down a bit, gears that rotate around, acting as walls of sorts and the famous spring (I think?) that "fights" against Donald in a section of the short. The spring is a bouncy platform that deals small damage (like 1 or 2%) to everyone that bounces on it. At the top of the stage, there is another platform that features, at time intervals, the two statues that bonked Goofy's head in the cartoon.

All in all, the stage would be whimsical and chaotic, and that's why I think it fits Mickey Mouse's first shorts to a T.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Job #6
I'm going to suggest 50. One character for every two years the company existed.

I think I have an idea for a stage, but I want to ask before I come up with something for these places. Are we planning on all the characters having a stage to themselves, or at least one per movie series? (EX if Anne is decided on later, would she and Elsa have separate stages or share the same home stage?) I want to submit something from Epic Mickey but I feel that would work better as an Oswald the Lucky Rabbit home stage vs a Mickey one.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I think I have an idea for a stage, but I want to ask before I come up with something for these places. Are we planning on all the characters having a stage to themselves, or at least one per movie series? (EX if Anne is decided on later, would she and Elsa have separate stages or share the same home stage?) I want to submit something from Epic Mickey but I feel that would work better as an Oswald the Lucky Rabbit home stage vs a Mickey one.
Ideally, each character will have a job where we can submit a character-related stage. Generally speaking however, I think that no series should have more than 2-3 stages, maybe 4 for the Mickey Mouse and friends series. So, for example, if we end up having Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Pluto, Oswald, and Peg-Leg Pete, then I can't see more than 3-4 stages: the characters will need to share the stages, then.
So go ahead, if the stage fits Oswald the Lucky Rabbit particularly well and we add him, then the stage you submitted might be transferred to Oswald and we could call for another Mickey Mouse stage or simply having Mickey and Oswald share a stage.

Top Bottom