• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Discussion] Do NOT update your Wii to System Menu 4.3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Nintendo has just released System Menu 4.3, and as usual, it removes all known homebrew. It removes Homebrew Channel, DVDX, and the ability to use Riivolution.

DO NOT UPDATE. WAIT FOR A SAFE UPDATER.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It more than removes it, it also patches the ability to install them via any known method or in any recent form.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I wouldn't recommend updating even if you find a safe updater. The only thing that it changes is the ability to use homebrew, and if a game requires it, you should be able to load it anyway with Gecko, etc.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Well, I am ****** then, I did update....

Dammit. Now I can't test any stuff I have. I guess my hacking career is over now.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Thanks for the warning, Bionic Sonic. Not like I was gonna update anyways after the 4.2 disaster...

Yeah thanks for this warning, does this update do anything else other then screw over hackers?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I would guess not, KillerJawz. Just Nintendo's middle finger at hackers again, same with 4.2

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, I am ****** then, I did update....

Dammit. Now I can't test any stuff I have. I guess my hacking career is over now.
Eventually, there will probably be a way to hack 4.3. Just wait, lol.

Yeah thanks for this warning, does this update do anything else other then screw over hackers?
I wouldn't recommend updating even if you find a safe updater. The only thing that it changes is the ability to use homebrew, and if a game requires it, you should be able to load it anyway with Gecko, etc.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Eventually, there will probably be a way to hack 4.3. Just wait, lol.
I think we (or the guys who made it at least), should make the HBC have the identifier code of a channel that nobody uses (at least I think that nobody here uses), like the Check Mii Out Channel or the Everybody Votes channel, so it replaces it and shields it from Nintendo Updates.

-or something like that.

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the warning. I wasn't going to update anyway, but... It actually patches all of the known methods? How did they manage to patch Smash Stack? Wouldn't they have to change the actual game?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I think we (or the guys who made it at least), should make the HBC have the identifier code of a channel that nobody uses (at least I think that nobody here uses), like the Check Mii Out Channel or the Everybody Votes channel, so it replaces it and shields it from Nintendo Updates.

-or something like that.
That changes the data for the channel, and all Nintendo has to do then is see if you have a different "version" for that channel. If you have the HBC on it, then they'll force you to delete it with an update.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
That changes the data for the channel, and all Nintendo has to do then is see if you have a different "version" for that channel. If you have the HBC on it, then they'll force you to delete it with an update.
Then until another method is indeed found, I will have to have other people test my stuff since I can't test it myself. Which means less work on my end, but I don't like that, at all.

It also means my Brawl Snapshots account has no meaning or use anymore...

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Then until another method is indeed found, I will have to have other people test my stuff since I can't test it myself. Which means less work on my end, but I don't like that, at all.

It also means my Brawl Snapshots account has no meaning or use anymore...
Just have patience, Beren. I guarantee Team Twiizers are making another Bootmii as we speak to go with the new System Update. Then you can have HBC and all your hax back...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
So far, that is lal the update does. Nintendo will keep doing this so dont EVER update unless we say its safe.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
It's a good thing I have WiiConnect24 off and am still on 4.1. But **** Nintendo. I mean, seriously, the last two updates are only to stop hackers, when they could have actually included something that is good for the system and is actually useful.

Revven

FrankerZ
'Tis a sad day when Nintendo tries too hard, they should really just give up on it. Anyone with Homebrew should be smart enough to not update. I'm still on 3.3 because I never want to lose my HBC or any of the abilities it has that the Wii lacks.

Funnier thing is that they can't even ban people who use codes on MKWii anymore because there's codes to bypass that even, which is just looooooool.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
>_< Again Nintendo? You already took care of the pirates to the best of your ability.

It's a good thing this update doesn't screw with the boot files like last time.

Thank the lord that we have Gecko OS, so we can play Kirby's Epic Yarn, Metriod: Other M and DKCR in peace without updating.

And thank goodness we have DOP-MII to make it easy to install any required IOS for those games.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Thanks for posting this, I upgraded to 4.2. and I regret it to this day- I learned of the Gecko OS bypass a half-hour later DX. I would hate to have to wait for yet another Homebrew update to come out. Also, is this update forced or can you shut down your wii to avoid it like 4.2? I'm on vacation right now so I have my wii and stuff unplugged, so a forced update in standby is out of the question, but I'm still rather worried. I probably should just install priiloader and bootmii (I had avoided it until now due to software updates on games, but then I learned about the Gecko OS method) asap. Also, on a lighter note, who wants to bet on how long it will take Team Twiizers to crack 4.3?

UltyBomber77

Smash Cadet
There's a new Firmware Updater for v4.3 from Waninkoko
SPA
Esta aplicacion te permite actualizar el firmware de tu consola instalando las actualizaciones disponibles mas importantes (IOS, System Menu, nuevos canales...).
La aplicacion evita instalar cualquier aplicacion no deseada, ademas de realizar diversos parcheos opcionales para añadir nuevas funcionalidades (ej: bug Trucha).
ENG (using Google Translate)
This application allows you to update your console firmware updates available installed most important (IOS, System Menu, new channels ...).
The application prevents any unwanted application installed, in addition to patching various options to add new functionalities (eg Trucha bug).
This is really unnecessary, but whatever
I'm pretty sure that I'm not allowed to post the DL, so just use Google

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Why is that good? I have 4.2, WiiConnect24 on, and homebrew. I dont understand why you're still at 4.1 with WiiConnect24 off. I have mine on to speak with my friends via Wii messages.
It's good because I can still have BootMii and with WiiConnect24 off no one in my family will accidentally update the Wii because they won't know there's an update.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Glad I have it patched to not allow even the update option to show up at all.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Wii, 360, and PS3 updates. If you hack an 360 and update, you would be more screwed than hacking your Wii unless your a very very smart hacker. xD

I don't know if Nintendo is trying to get rid of HBC personally or just updating their systems, but is there any reason to update? Unless they add storing memory in your Flash Drive, it's not a worthy update.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Wii, 360, and PS3 updates. If you hack an 360 and update, you would be more screwed than hacking your Wii unless your a very very smart hacker. xD

I don't know if Nintendo is trying to get rid of HBC personally or just updating their systems, but is there any reason to update? Unless they add storing memory in your Flash Drive, it's not a worthy update.
They can't add storing memory anyways. New features would be nice, or more stability or something, but the only point in these last two updates have been to specifically remove the HBC, DVDX and BootMii, which is dumb since they assume that most people with the Homebrew Channel pirate games, though it's probably that a majority of the people with HBC either prefer to play from USBLoader because it's faster, prefer to play from the USBLoader because their disk drive is broken or they want to hack their games (piracy is a big problem with music and movies, but not so much with games IIRC).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did get messed up during the System Menu 4.0 update. Took drastic measures to ensure that that never happens again. Unfortunately, many of the games revealed during the E3 event may require us to update to System Menu 4.3.

By the way, for those who are on System Menu 4.2, if you want to update the Wii Shop Channel, you'll have to snag the newest version of WiiSCU; 0.24.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
The first post isn't exactly right. And what's this talk about all methods being patched up?

I upgraded to menu 4.3 because Riivolution is about the only program I use anyway at the moment and it does work with the update (v1.03 does, anyway). Other than that, people have been reporting that other methods for installing homebrew are working. If that's the case, I'm sure a swift change to the homebrew channel will be coming soon.

Revven

FrankerZ
I did get messed up during the System Menu 4.0 update. Took drastic measures to ensure that that never happens again. Unfortunately, many of the games revealed during the E3 event may require us to update to System Menu 4.3..
Even so, you can just install the necessary IOSes to play them and load them up through Gecko and it'll go right past the system update that they may have.

I don't see the value in ever updating, it makes very little sense to me why anyone would, especially to 4.3. It adds nothing of importance to the console, much less does it even accomplish what it's intended for (people will just find a way around it). Nintendo just can't seem to face the facts.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Don't you need the latest version to access the Shop Channel? That's the only possible benefit I can think of...

OceanBlue

Smash Apprentice
I did get messed up during the System Menu 4.0 update. Took drastic measures to ensure that that never happens again. Unfortunately, many of the games revealed during the E3 event may require us to update to System Menu 4.3.

By the way, for those who are on System Menu 4.2, if you want to update the Wii Shop Channel, you'll have to snag the newest version of WiiSCU; 0.24.
I believe Gecko lets you bypass this. At the very least, you can install priiloader to avoid having to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom