• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion about G&W's tier placement - Give your opinion

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
I want honest answers and opinions not just from fanboys. Where do you honestly think G&W will end up on the next tier list??? Im feeling top 10 but a lot of my friends are saying not even top 15 anymore.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Asking on the G&W boards? AND you dont want fanboys?
That's a tough order to fill. We have some trolls who could answer you but that might not be too helpful.

I personally think G&W should be top 10 (8-10), but he could very well end up as far down as like 13th. Any lower is a joke.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
last place.

i kid my fellow gw mains<3

no but really, esca is right, any lower than 13th is a joke, but you won't see him higher than 8 imo.
so in between 8-13.

Splice

Smash Hero
I personally think Pikachu will go higher than GaW, and GaW will go down maybe 2 places max.
I don't think he will get higher than he is, he won't be a better character than Marth but Marth could rise so then he might also... Pikachu > GaW though.

That's my opinion.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
if UTDzac dies ,then he'll be last

lol
but seeing as how good G&W rep steadily decreases every year,id say top 15 =/
edit: idk,i wanna say top 8 but it doesnt seem likely for long lol
doubledit: lmao argueing with myself is silly >.>
ima agree with 8-13 like kewl said :O

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Singles Rank: 11th
Doubles Rank: 1st

If you banned MK, Diddy, Snake, and Marth from all future tournaments, I would rank G&W as #1 best character in the game.

... wishing never hurt anyone ;)

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
nah,friend used to play it alot lol

looks like a fun game tho
It is. A lot of smash players play it. I didnt know that till like a month ago though cuz I've been playing LoL since like august. I was a beta tester.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Personally I see him staying the same

Before I thought he was going to drop again and it was inevitable but I dunno, he's just too good, the only thing really hurting him is his basicness. From my observation and experience (which i'm sure doesn't matter much but considering this is my opinion i'm going to act as if I do) His moveset is just too awesome but there's not really much depth to GW that allows him to change anything against the current top tiers (or most of them)

I think he's solid and awesome of course but it seems like the other characters metagames are progressing much faster than GW's due to the way he is and if they can adapt to GW but GW can't adapt to them it seems like they'll always be a step ahead.

Of course i'm not even close in skill to the people who matter this is just what i've observed

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
Uhm, I feel he can go up, or the tierlist will look like this..

MK
Falco
Diddy
Snake
Wario
ICs
Marth
King DDD
Pikachu
Olimar
Mr. G&W.
Then like ZSS, Tink, and Lucario

So.. 11th?

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
He should still be A ranked but no lower than that seriously. Im real impressed with the diddys getting their char to be so beast. Hate that stupid monkey. XD

Vinnie

Smash Master
The top 7 characters in the game have already been known and established, as the only 7 characters able to win a national tournament. They are:
-MK
-Snake
-Diddy
-Falco
-Wario
-Ice Climbers
-Marth

below that is the likes of D3, Pikachu, gnw, Olimar, and all of them. Rankwise, if I had to guess, I'd say like, 10th or 11th.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I personally think G&W right after Dedede is a solid placement, but Pikachu and Olimar are close enough and good enough to argue being over him. Anyone else above him just really seems wrong, to be honest. Any and all talk about Game & Watch being below someone like ZSS annoys the hell out of me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think G&W is better than D3 at a top level. D3 is an extremely limited character who fundamentally can't really do anything when you wait.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I think D3 is definitely overrated, so I can see G&W being ahead of him, but I doubt that's where he would actually end up on the next list.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
The problem is people can say the same thing about G&W. =/

Pikachu will go up because what he can do to Falco, the 2nd best character, and is alright vs MK.

Olimar is freaking gay.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's only weakness is his recovery. He is beastly.

D3 though...I would be surprised if he was higher, especially since you GnW cannot get chaingrabbed by him.

And if ZSS was above GnW....something would be seriously wrong.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DDD has Ftilt/grab, and Bair. Lol
F-tilt can be PSed on reaction. Grab is mad predictable and actually avoidable by outspacing him. DDD does not like to be in the air due to his bad mobility and while his B-air is pretty good, it's unsafe by virtue of his physics.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
That's all good if humans are frame perfect. But you can say the same thing about G&W, assuming humans have perfect reflexes.

Splice

Smash Hero
Pretty much agree with everyone else, and Zekeisheres tier list.

11th for :gw: imo, fighting with Olimar for 10th.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
With the abuse of Windboxes, and G&W's untapped ability to juggle like everyone in the cast once they get in the air U air and Nair, I feel he can go up to 8th on the list, easily. =]

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's all good if humans are frame perfect. But you can say the same thing about G&W, assuming humans have perfect reflexes.
G&W's stuff actually comes out before reaction time, and he has a ton more mobility for doing mixups and staying safe or controlling space.

DDD really can't do anything that will threaten you if you want to go out of your way to wait and defend on reaction against his stuff. G&W actually can threaten you even if you try to defend on reaction.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Full hopped turtle spaced perfectly is unpunishable by the ****ed penguin. Spaced imperfectly and you eat an ftilt. Sometimes. Keeping in mind that D3's ftilt is one of the longest ranged tilts in the game...

SorryAboutYourDaughter

Smash Rookie
The only character we have to worry about passing us is the ICs, and we pwn them! Who else is there to pass G&W? R.O.B.? Olimar? ZSS? Pikachu isn't going anywhere, Wario is gonna drop, and maybe Falco, too.

BTW, Zekeishere, I like the avatar!

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
Falco has the ability to do 45% - 70% with a single grab. Falco is the 2nd best character, in my opinion...

Olimar are Pikachu are very solid characters and more balanced that G&W right now. But G&W can be better than both of them, as well as DDD. After that, G&W kinda loses to most people above him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pikachu idk, almost any character can win against Pikachu besides those random CG **** matchups he has. Olimar however I do think G&W is better than, but his matchup requires a bigger learning curve for most characters.

And Falco is just stupid. If all he does is laser camp and Side-B, it actually can win matches. It's just dumb how fast his Side-B is. I mean besides that bull**** he's completely manageable as long as you have a reasonably solid approach.

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
Falco has the ability to do 45% - 70% with a single grab. Falco is the 2nd best character, in my opinion...

Olimar are Pikachu are very solid characters and more balanced that G&W right now. But G&W can be better than both of them, as well as DDD. After that, G&W kinda loses to most people above him.
Pretty sure you can get out around like 30%
And every grab after is a tech chase for falco. He can dacus or just aerial you.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
The only character we have to worry about passing us is the ICs, and we pwn them! Who else is there to pass G&W? R.O.B.? Olimar? ZSS? Pikachu isn't going anywhere, Wario is gonna drop, and maybe Falco, too.

BTW, Zekeishere, I like the avatar!
ICs get ***** with proper spacing. R.O.B. is one of GnW's best matchups IMO.

Olimar is a tough contender, but since GnW is going to get in close, those ****ed pikmin throws do not mean anything. But unless you control the stage, he wll give you some big problems with his **** pivot grab.

Wario aint got **** on GnW.

Pika though...I honestly have no clue about that matchup.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah G&W beats ROB 65/35. ROB just doesn't have the safe priority or mobility to get around G&W's stuff.

I think G&W also beats Pikachu since really...Pikachu just suffers a lot more than G&W at scoring the KO easily besides having to tickle his way into range in non-conventional ways.

Top Bottom