• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion about G&W's tier placement - Give your opinion

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
ICs at the highest level of play go even with G&W. You say proper spacing defeats ICs, but I have to disagree slightly. When I played Lain he pivot grabbed me out of SH nair... i didnt even know it was possible. However, if G&W ever loses a game, he can easily win on a counterpick (Brinstar/Rainbow). Idk, this matchup in general is weird and involves a lot of camping. 5:5

ROB at a high level isn't 65:35 easy. He can spacing pretty well with tilts. You do have the advantage when you get him in the air (which is quite often) or off the stage. 6:4 gw

A smart Olimar goes even with G&W. Their spacing mixups put us in a bind, leaving us with few approach options. It's hard to get in when they have a correct pikmin setup. Even with the knowledge that G&W's UpB removes all attached pikmin still doesn't make this matchup easy. 5:5

Wario, at the highest level of play, is not a simple or easy matchup. It's pretty even imo. G&W does have a few strengths, like nair and UpB. However, Wario's high air mobility keeps him out of danger. I've found a few instances where I was unable to catch up to the wario (coughdmgcough). With a little uair mixup, you can force him where you want him.5:5

Pika, I've played against some good pikachus in my day. I've never played anther, so all of them have been kinda easy. It's pretty simple, just space bair and other high priority attacks. Pika's will have a hard time getting in. Just don't fall for the quick attack tricks. Be patient, and pike will come to you. 6:4 gw

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Ice Climbers are even for us on a few of the starters, namely FD/SV. Anywhere else and it starts going in our favor. I'd say it really boils down to 6-4 our favor, as though it's a close matchup in the starter match, its a free win on our CP. On their CP, it's now an even matchup again. A lot of this is varies in different stage lists, though, as I seem to stress a lot nowadays. Oh, and we do particularly well Bo5 against ICs too. Ice Climbers are drastically overrated right now.

ROB I agree on, Ftilt saves the matchup for them. Olimar is someone I will also agree with you on.
Wario still feels like a very slight advantage to us, but I'll have to take your word on this one.
Pikachu is one I have a good deal more experience fighting and 6-4 still seems accurate as it was ages ago.

While you didn't mention Dedede, thats on matchup I disagreed with and still disagree with today on the ratio. People like Gheb and Hylian pushed for it being dead even when we were discussing it, but I really don't see how it's that close for him.

Falco, another high tier, is pretty close to even. While I still see the advantage, a good Falco is quite obviously a pain in the *** to fight, and thus is only a 55-45 matchup for us. Play gay a lot, really.

Vinnie

Smash Master
GnW : ICs

FD: 35:65
SV: 45:55
BF: 45:55
Lylat: 4:6
Yoshi's: 4:6
Brinstar / RC: 6:4

Gnw:falco 5:5

Gnw:dedede 45:55

Gnw: Pikachu 55:45

Gnw:ROB 6:4

Gnw:Olimar 5:5

Gnw:wario 45:55

Vinnie

Smash Master
GnW : ICs

I stopped reading there.
Yeah you're right, the ability for them to pivot grab any of your aerials and easy grabbing, without worrying about platform camping, makes it EASILY in our favor, or even close to even. XD

edit: Mr Esc, we're talking about the ICs that know how to play, and understand how to pivot grab, unlike the people in... NH lol

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I stopped reading there.
Why? IC's destroy GW on FD lmao. I would play any GW in the nation for $50 easily 3/5 all on FD. Though none of them would accept.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
PGN, we're talking about the G&Ws that know how to play, and understand the matchup, unlike you.

GET *****

Vinnie

Smash Master
It doesn't matter how "gay" you play. There are no platforms. You can't effectively camp a 0-DEATH GRAB without platforms, especially with gnw's moveset - no nades or lasers, nothing. But whatever, keep theorycrafting, I really don't care lol, you aren't going to get anywhere in Smash if you have a ******** mindset like this.

napZzz

Smash Hero
He'll be high of C tier next list. He's far from viable in singles these days and only useful in doubles.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
IC's on FD is impossible lol
im sorry but it doesn't matter how much u plank or camp, you're going to get caught and be forced to approach either way :V

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mr Escalator, stop embarrassing me with your poor theorycrafting. We need more good theorycrafters on SWF.

I KNOW you can do better than that. Or at least I THINK you can do better, but seriously, I am not happy with how you're representing yourself as a player who doesn't know how to objectively analyze options.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Diddy mains like bananas because it reminds them of their fathers.
No wonder they are so good at handling them.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mr Escalator, that's besides the point.

You are just being an ***hole towards me and you need to stop it right now and act mature.

Repeatedly you have demonstrated that you don't actually understand how this game works. You, like everyone, are a biased person, and this does not excuse stuck up and immature behavior when people don't agree with you.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I thought I missed the GW boards until I read these last two pages.

lol oh how the mighty have fallen

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Hylian, you decided to join in too?

While you have the gist of it, being more direct with your remarks is better at getting people angry. 5/10, I see potential.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Back on topic.

Why would GnW be so low comparatively speaking when he has such good matchups against the better characters in the cast? Im not toting GnW for #1, but I would be vastly surprised if he went down to C tier.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Mr Escalator - Turnabout Post

Heh.

It seems that I have lulled you guys into a false sense of security.
SV: 45:55
BF: 45:55
Lylat: 4:6
Yoshi's: 4:6
Brinstar / RC: 6:4
First off, let's take a look at these matchup ratios depending on the stage. You've listed FD->Lylat=Yoshi->SV=BF as the starter ratios from worst to best, the best being still in their advantage. Our counterpick stages are then in our favor slightly.

This doesn't seem outwardly wrong, but it should after I break it down. Game & Watch versus Ice Climbers on Rainbow Cruise, according to you, is the same difficulty rating for them as Lylat is for us in the matchup. Going off of this, it is clearly in our advantage to the same degree as it's in their advantage on one of our better starters... Really? The difference between Brinstar/RC and Lylat is by that big a margin? I'm not buying that much. You also imply that Lylat is worse for us than SV in the matchup, despite the obvious benefit gained from so many platforms opposed to a single platform. Don't get me wrong, I understand how valuable that moving platform is, but what you must realize is that G&W isn't MK and that he cannot abuse the moving platform as well as MK can with his gliding and numerous jumps. The lylat platforms provides permanent advantageous positioning opposed to the clearly situational advantages gained from the SV platform.

Not only that, you have Smashville listed under the same ratio as Battlefield, which is kinda amazing seeing as it's our clear favorite starter in the matchup versus Ice Climbers. Permanent positional advantage in the platforms is great as is, but the top platform really cinches it for the matchup. It gives you so much space to play gay against ICs, while the most they can do in response is typically Uair.

I don't disagree with FD being terrible for us, though I do only think it's 6:4 if you forced a serious response out of me, but the thing is, FD doesn't matter. Yes, I'm completely serious about this; Final Destination doesn't play much of a part in this matchup. I shouldn't need to explain myself, but just in case, I will. Final Destination is typically our worst legal stage in most matchups, and therefore it is common for G&W mains to strike it first in the first match and even to go on and use their ban on it. With Ice Climbers, it's quite clearly their best legal stage, so the smart thing to do is the same as the usual thing done; strike and ban FD. It's not like you are radically changing your game plan, Game & Watch usually does this same thing, it's just that IC's makes this a no brainer. Bringing this part to a conclusion, Final Destination doesn't see play in this matchup, and it really doesn't matter all that much what the actual ratio on it is.

Regardless, lets move on to the notion that no platforms = easy pivot grabbing. To begin with, I'll just mention that whoever made this claim up in regards to it working on G&W is dumb. With that out of the way, lets talk about it more in depth. The facts are:
  1. Ice Climbers have a pretty mediocre grab range
  2. Their pivot grab has the only decent range out of all of them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ag4JkYeC5o)
  3. G&W's Turtle is long and disjointed, with startup being the only downside (Hits on f10)

So, there is no way Ice Climbers can grab during the turtle, or after considering the cooldown/landing hitbox/disjointedness and with good air control. This covers pretty much all bases aside from pivot grabbing during the startup, which is what I assume you are referring to when you mention it being possible. Quite obviously, you are not spacing correctly. It's that simple. Have you never fought a good Yoshi/Olimar/etc and their excessive use of pivot grabbing? If you are spacing turtles the same way you space against a Ganon, of course your **** is gonna get wrecked. Learn when and where you are safe to use it, and apply liberal use of air control during and after startup.

This doesn't even take platforms into consideration, which obviously help dealing with them. IC's can obviously grab a Dair when they are grounded (P.S. dont dair grounded foes), and I wouldnt want to try Nair/Fair either, but there is no excuse for not spacing out of range of a pivot grab. It's like the same range to punish them rolling back, practically.

Basically, the vibe I'm getting is that PGN just blows against fighting defensive opponents and he can't adapt. It would easily explain his thoughts on the Diddy matchup.

Anyway, a more realistic breakdown of the matchup on stages would be thus, imo of course:

4:6 Final Destination You wont be here, don't worry
45:55 Yoshi's Island
50:50 Smashville and Lylat
55:45 Battlefield
6:4 Brinstar/Halberd/Delfino
65:45 Rainbow Cruise

Going off of these ratios I made up on the spot, the first game will typically take place on either Lylat or SV, not taking into consideration personal preferences. They are even against each other in the first match. Now, if G&W wins he practically gets another win because of his numerous options to counterpick into. Not always, of course, but basically it boils down to that. If ICs win, they only get to CP later into a stage that is even or barely advantageous to them, meaning we have a solid chance of winning that. In a Best out of Five, it's even more in our favor, as we still have lots of choices, whereas they have less.

This doesn't, at all, take into consideration of a more liberal stage list. I'm going off of a stage list that favors Ice Climbers (Atlantic North stage list). If, instead, I went 7 starters and had a more CP rich list (think Norfair), it's clearly in our favor because of the options.

Even if you don't agree with my matchup ratios on the stage, you can still see my logic regarding why I think this matchup is in our favor, right? First match of the set is on their terms, yet still close to even or even, then another match like that OR an easy counterpick win for us.

I've already spent too much time addressing you, though, so I won't get into WHY I believe those ratios to be accurate. I guess a condensed version is that I value our ability to play gay with platforms versus them, I value how amazing we are at edgeguarding, and I value being able to completely tool on Nana and keep them separated highly. That is for another time, I guess.

That was a big derail whew (not as big of a derail as my trolling LOL), but I'll respond to the person who actually wanted to continue with the point of this thread.

Why would GnW be so low comparatively speaking when he has such good matchups against the better characters in the cast? Im not toting GnW for #1, but I would be vastly surprised if he went down to C tier.
He wouldn't be so low. In fact, he won't be in C tier, and it's doubtful he will be in B, let alone the lower half of B. Ignoring the obvious amazing matchups G&W has in the mid to lower tiers, G&W does solidly versus the top half of the cast. The only real issues for Game & Watch are a million MKs, some random Marths, and Diddy/Snake. I kept Diddy and Snake together because I think those matchups aren't ultimately that difficult. It's mainly that those are really deep matchups to learn that seem dreadful at first glance but really ultimately aren't.

MK himself and how many there are brings G&W down a good deal, but I wouldn't say farther down than someone like Falco. That's actually fairly good parallel; Falco and G&W are hurt by MK's presence the same amount but in different ways. Falco has issues with planking, but not fighting on "fair" terms. G&W has some issues with fighting MK outright, but has no difficulties with planking. Falco seems less hurt by MK because of the presence of planking bans and restrictions (which don't help G&W).

What really kills our placement is the lack of representation. We don't have enough high level players. Moreso than characters who are pretty much as good as us (Falco/Dedede/Olimar), we suffer from having few mains. UTD Zac is pretty much the only one holding up our attendance. It doesn't help we still have mains whining about matchups being unwinnable that scare away any and all potential new comers.

tl;dr G&W shouldn't go down anymore, but likely will because people have a bad opinion of how good he is (like Ike???).

A2ZOMG, I've made this post too big, so I will just drop you a message instead, bro.

Keep on rocking, G&W boards.

Vinnie

Smash Master
I think I got dumber reading that post. Please play Meep or Lain, get your "spaced turtle" grabbed, and then come back crying, saying I was right.

Basically, the vibe I'm getting is that PGN just blows against fighting defensive opponents and he can't adapt. It would easily explain his thoughts on the Diddy matchup.
Aww, you think you know something about me. That's cute. Anyways, no, I've had people try to time me out before with MK, didn't succeed. I don't get ***** by camping or defensive play. And you saying I can't adapt is lulzy. Stop trying to demean what you think of me, because you're a nobody. :)

Also you say that ICs-FD will never happen in tourney. That's quite dumb of you. People secondary ICs, you know. They can cp fd with ICs, after you ban Halberd on their Snake, SV on their MK, etc. >_>

Also, what exactly is this supposed to mean?

UTD Zac is pretty much the only one holding up our attendance.
If you're trying to say that Zac is the only gnw that can play in high levels of play, then gtfo with your meatriding. I'm not that far behind him in skill at all, and Valdens, NOJ, Lou, and HebrewHammer and others are right behind him as well.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I think I got dumber reading that post. Please play Meep or Lain, get your "spaced turtle" grabbed, and then come back crying, saying I was right.
Don't get mad just 'cuz you don't know how to space. It's not difficult, I can try and teach you sometime, but no guarantees of you being capable of such a thing.

Stop trying to demean what you think of me, because you're a nobody. :)
I don't need to demean you any more, as you've already shown that you aren't too impressive.
I mean, your biggest claim to fame? A single match off of Ally on Rainbow Cruise, which you were losing but you got a lucky Nine. Reaaaaaal impressive.

Whereas I actually know stuff about the game and have helped the G&W community since the release. Step down son.

Also you say that ICs-FD will never happen in tourney. That's quite dumb of you. People secondary ICs, you know. They can cp fd with ICs, after you ban Halberd on their Snake, SV on their MK, etc. >_>
Uh.
Versus Snake AND MK I ban Final Destination. Aahahahaha, care to think of an actual example, now? Not to mention, I'm not afraid of an ICs secondary to begin with.

Anyway, we're talking about the highest level of play. UTD Zac is really the only G&W who has shown the ability of someone at this level of play. Of course I'm going to mention him.

You don't see the other guys doing amazing at Nationals. It's really Zac leading the pack. If one of them do step it up a notch and place high at nationals, I'll obviously give credit where credit is due, and I'm not saying they are bad.

Just that, they aren't Zac.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Why do you say that my biggest notable accomplishment was taking a game off of Ally? LOL

I've gotten even better recently, and although never placing above 7th (in the hardest region), I was able to beat Snakeee and Atomsk in a row (*waits for namesearch*), take a game off of Shadow, before getting knocked out of the bracket by Shadow's Wario. I'm also ranked 4th in NY.

I expect more good things to come in my near future. So stop thinking you know anything about me.

Whereas I actually know stuff about the game and have helped the G&W community since the release. Step down son.
If by "helping", you mean, throwing out random frame data, analyzing matchups wrong, and trying to sound smart, while failing in tourney in a crappy region, then sure I guess. >_>

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Ok, that's enough guys. Less trolling on more back on topic.

PGN, you're a strong player. I know this, even if they don't believe you.

Mr Escalator, I appreciate all of the frame data and matchup analysis you give. It's nice having another opinion other than mine on these boards, even if it doesn't agree with what I say. When you have something to say, it always makes me think twice about what I know.

In all seriousness... G&W will be dropping from the ranks, and so will I.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Escalator, you live in ****ing new hampshire, you're not good @ this game, theory crafting /=/ doesn't work at all in real matches, beat good people and then you may troll PGN :D

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Atlantic North is crappy? We're practically in the same region, you idiot. By helping, I obviously am referring to actually discussing stuff to improve the G&W boards instead of throwing out the "I think I'm good because I play good players card", contributed concise Frame Data that proved helpful, made numerous threads talking about and forwarding the meta game (including a high quality guide which is in the works), as well as just being plain awesome. Don't talk down to your superior, kid.

Also, your other accomplishments aren't anywhere near Zac's lmao. And you say you're only slightly worse? Talk about being full of oneself. At least I can recognize my playing ability, unlike someone else posting in this thread <3

Come back when you have gotten half as helpful as me OR half as good as Zac. Otherwise, you're just wasting everyone's time

edit: Oh snap, a random is dissing me. More than that, a random that is PGN's friend. Ahahaaha. PGN still can't fight his own battles. What a novice.

Top Bottom