• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discovered New Falco Pillar!

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
u can speed it up. i do it on a daily basis. ill post as soon as i can. but trust me if u do it right, its an absolute 66-88%.

i now see the multi quote.

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
kryptic i freaking luv u!!(no homo, unless ur a girl of course) u did it the second time when u spiked him off. now i know people r going 2 be haters and be like it doesnt work on moving opponents or human players. well i'll post me doing it in the midst of battle this weekend.
thank u

Pewgs

Smash Rookie
Yeah that third one really looks doable. But I have one question, does hitstun increase as %'s get higher? I mean, it might be easier if you chaingrab, then when their % is high enough go into the dair -> dgrab. It just seems like there is too much time in between the dair and grab. If someone could post a video of a human opponent possibly?

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
i will this weekend(sombodyelse can if they want). but the hitstun does increase as % goes higher. so you could chaingrab first then go from there. thats pretty good.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Looks very doable. It also looks escapable though.

Also, as someone already stated this isn't pillaring. You're not pressuring a shield... you're just trapping an opponent in a damaging (and arguably inescapable) variation of throw -> damage -> Throw -> etc. Sort of similar to what ICs can do.

Pewgs

Smash Rookie
Niiiice. The only problem is the first spike. It seemed he was able to duck meaning a human opponent could get out of it. The second spike seemed inescapable so I'm assuming it only works at medium %'s. So chaingrab until a high enough % (Will mess around with this) THEN go into the new spike/ what ever its called thing? This also seems like an alternative to some lighter characters who can't be chaingrabbed.

I'll test it out some later.

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
ike didnt duck, he landed on the ground. thats his landing animation. even if they do duck, u can still grab them out of it.

now lately ive been having problems with doing it and getting shielded. but thats only on wifi when it has lag

and that was anouther verygood demonstration of the,(i think this is the name) chainspike?
thanks, i really appreciate it

QuickBlade

Smash Cadet
This looks interesting, but im curious if it'll work on smaller characters like kirby and pika. I think the spike would be over their head, can't check this myself I'm not at home rite now...

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
ur kinda right, but i came across this problem earlier with lazer bust. u have to be right on time with the fastfalling and grab or theyll do something to get away. also u hav to jumpcancel ur dash a little late because when u d-throw them, small and floaty characters go a farther distance. so u run up close to them and do a rising d-air and fastfall as soon as u can

QuickBlade

Smash Cadet
K thanks for clarifying, I gotta try this when I get home. I'm currently a marth main but falco is just to cool with all the chain grabbing and spiking, I'm starting to like him quite a bit :).

QuickBlade

Smash Cadet
Lol, umm i picked up marth in melee and ive stuck with him since. In brawl hes still good but he doesnt feel the same to me with his crappy grab range and smaller smaller sword. How bout u why do u play sonic?

Repryx

Smash Champion
Because he is fun to play as Besides I keep finding new things to do with him and nobody else in my area can use him and win like me!

But sonic isnt my Main Pit is. I use him because It was the first game I beat when I was little (My uncle had an old copy) and 2. Flying is awesome. also I needed to use Pit to get comfortable in the air with all my characters

I also use Ike because Im a crazy Ike fan since Path of Radiance (and now Radiant Dawn)

I used Falco in Melee because I like him from starfox because he was an @$$ to slippy then I learned of his DBZ esque combos and the rest was history

I enjoy using ZSS because when I side B I love screaming MIRACLE WHIP even though she is my worst character.

BTW Marths grab range is now normal...Just spam Fairs as it cancels automatically.

-Ciao

QuickBlade

Smash Cadet
Nice, Im also a huge FE fan I luved both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I also play Ike occasionally but i'm terrible with him. Anyways, I've been posting from school and I got an exam in an hour so I'm gonna go study for a bit.

-To steal ur line *Ciao* ;)

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Hey there, I've been experimenting with that a lot lately and it seems this could well work. This is very difficult to pull off on a consistent basics however without letting your opponent simply escape, i should have a few new videos up however within the next few days of me using this in a couple of fights, I've still yet to perfect this, but I'll be sure to keep at it, seems like a very valuable part of Falco if this can actually work regularly.

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
Me and repryx have almost the same mains, except replace zss with lucas. wonder whos better?

besides that thanks for supportin yenith, plz keep me from posting vids.

(i want repryxs kratos sig, freaking luv tales of symphonia. loydd should have been in brawl =)

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I was playing around with the chainspike in training mode, and you can actually land behind them after using the dair, so you can reverse the throw direction (if you're close to the edge but are facing the wrong way, you can use this to change your orientation, and then chainthrow to chainspike off the edge).

Repryx

Smash Champion
Me and repryx have almost the same mains, except replace zss with lucas. wonder whos better?

besides that thanks for supportin yenith, plz keep me from posting vids.

(i want repryxs kratos sig, freaking luv tales of symphonia. loydd should have been in brawl =)
keep me in mind for this summer...we will find out who is better

-Ciao

sblkbrn

Smash Cadet
Is a pillar just a spike off the screen?.... or is there more to it, if it is just a spike, then I do it pretty good... how do you make good vids anyway

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Is a pillar just a spike off the screen?.... or is there more to it, if it is just a spike, then I do it pretty good... how do you make good vids anyway
Pillar is basically a combo where you constantly knock your opponent up and down. In Melee you would use Falco's shine to knock them up then JC into a Dair then FF to knock them back down and repeat over and over. In Brawl Falco pillar works a bit differently. You do a Dthrow SH into a Dair which should bounce them off the ground then grab them while they're in the air and repeat.

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
keep me in mind for this summer...we will find out who is better

-Ciao
no problem

pillaring on melee was used to break shields by shine shorthop d-air then repeat, not a combo. as somone stated earlier. (the falco terms r coming back to me now)

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Falco can do dthrow -> nair (land all the hits, then land on the ground, or fall off the stage after the nair) -> jump -> dair on Marth, from 0% and up (not sure where it peaks). I'm pretty sure it can be influenced by DI (DI down, which won't matter at higher %, and DI away, which could work very well or not so well, I'm not sure), but I've done it on a lvl 9 computer. I have yet to test it against a person.

I'm sure he can do it on other characters who are somewhat light and large enough targets to hit with every hit on the nair.

deadringers

Smash Cadet
Yea the idea sounds good on paper im a falco main i usually chain throw twice followed by a running A to Up smash. Cause if you play good players they can di out of the chain throw after 30-40%. IF someone can post a video plzz show me...

Icantlos

Smash Rookie
Yes pillaring was used to break shields but it could also be used for combos.
No, as stated before, pillaring refers exclusively to doing repeated JC-shines to SHFFLed Dairs to pressure someones shield. Hitting with a shine and then jumping up and intercepting with a spike and then rushing to the ground and repeating is a combo, sometimes referred to as the shine-to-spike combo, but not pillaring.

As for the combo being discussed, I haven't quite determined if it is completely unescapable. I'm not saying that it's not, but the timing is very specific. And you HAVE to fastfall the spike or it can be easily escaped.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
Have you attempted this at all against opponents that aren't stationary in training mode?

I tried this, and didn't have a problem with a stationary target. But try even setting somebody easy (like Ganondorf) on level 9 and set to 'run'. I did, and found that this doesn't really work at all when the opponent techs, jumps, or really does anything to try to get out.

SunriseW12

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I tried this against a lvl 9 as well, and it doesnt work at all. Maybe I'm not doing it right... hmm, if only SOMEONE would post a VIDEO.

Pewgs

Smash Rookie
Watch Ike closely, he jumps quite a few frames early and gets caught by another grab mid air, the hitstun is too low in order for this to work. Simply spot-dodge to escape it.

Very good try though, and good observation, stuff like this will eventually lead to a good find.
Like I said, I think this only works when most chars are at mid %. There isn't enough hitstun to be able to pull this off successfully at lower %'s.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, I think this only works when most chars are at mid %. There isn't enough hitstun to be able to pull this off successfully at lower %'s.
You aren't understanding, even at mid-% try it, you can still spot dodge, and you can't grab them once they are at 60%, because they fall down and are able to tech... either way you can't grab them at that high percentage.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
It's simple, really. Getting this off 4 times against good players isn't terribly likely, and it feels sort of character-victim dependent. But I do this, once or twice, quite a bit. It's not fantastic, but it's a generally good basic sort of thing to try. It does do good damage quickly, at least, and from there, you can switch to a more cautious game of going for kills in any number of ways.

-As for spiking at the end if your near an edge- yup. It can work. Good stuff- if you use phantasm, some characters like to get near the edge because the risk of flying off makes you hesitant to try it, even if you know the distance perfectly. Well, just don't try living a game off of this, it's just one sort of basic thing you can try to rack %.

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
It's simple, really. Getting this off 4 times against good players isn't terribly likely, and it feels sort of character-victim dependent. But I do this, once or twice, quite a bit. It's not fantastic, but it's a generally good basic sort of thing to try. It does do good damage quickly, at least, and from there, you can switch to a more cautious game of going for kills in any number of ways.

-As for spiking at the end if your near an edge- yup. It can work. Good stuff- if you use phantasm, some characters like to get near the edge because the risk of flying off makes you hesitant to try it, even if you know the distance perfectly. Well, just don't try living a game off of this, it's just one sort of basic thing you can try to rack %.

thanks 4 the analysis. ur right its not sumthing to do or add into ur stradedgy like shdl, or chaingrabbing. if u happen to grab them and u dont want to spam a chain-grab, then do this or better yet, d-throw and do a dashing up smash. cuz people get pissed when u chaingrab to 50%, do a little damage, then f-smash and repeat. cuz then u might give falco a title of a hack or cheap char.

Top Bottom