• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DINOMAFIA - Utahraptor banished. TOWN WINS!

Smash Master
Woah, almost hit the edit button...

I see where you're coming from, though.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Hmm, I thought the SK could be an omnivore, as could any other independent factions.

Are SK nightkills typically compulsory?
Omivores are those that eat both meat and plants. Humans are omivores (except vegetarians). So yeah, that still rules that you have to be in a group.

I'm sure that a dino can be a lone carnivore, it's just there's a possibility that all species roam in a group.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yeah nothing bad can come from giving the Mafia names so that if a pattern emerges they can easily pick off who they think seems like a threat, especially on day one when anyone can name claim anyone and the fact that there is no pressure that would make us want to.
D1 nameclaim is better because if we wait another Day at least 1 townie will be dead, giving the mafia more insight as to whether or not they could pull a nameclaim. As for there being "no pressure that would make us want to" that's not convincing enough to stop a nameclaim at all since we'd be doing it in an attempt to flush out mafia.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Seriously though, lets do a name claim, no real down side imo. It's not like the scum can find a important role just from knowing your a triceratops or some ****.
Word this is exactly why a nameclaim would be okay here. "Let's nightkill Townie X, I'm sure he uses his long neck to watch people at night"

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Vote: mentos

Vote: rockin

Neither were specific enough in regards to why we shouldn't nameclaim. "It's better to do this later in the game", says who? Nameclaims are case by case and being so dead set against it because you're uncomfortable doing it on D1 only serves to help mafia.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Omivores are those that eat both meat and plants. Humans are omivores (except vegetarians). So yeah, that still rules that you have to be in a group.
don't get your point? this game is obviously meant to be herbivores vs carnivores meaning being suspicious of omnivores is a fair assumption since they're in the middle and mcfox said "beware of independents".

I'm sure that a dino can be a lone carnivore, it's just there's a possibility that all species roam in a group.
i don't get your point or whether or not this is reasoning to be against a nameclaim or what.

also i agree with a lot of what 1048 has said. i don't think potential omnivores have to be an SK but i think it's possible that they could be some sort of independent role. and to answer your question yes SKs usually need to kill every night.

smashbot/everybody else please don't come in here and say "Well marsh i'm sure that dinosaur X could be role Y because Z". That'll most likely just hurt town.

unvote: mentos

unvote: rockin

though i still want you to reconsider a nameclaim.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
btw if we don't agree to it before then i'll be nameclaiming March 28 unless there's some really convincing reason not to. i'd force it so we'd have a few days to get everybody to do it before a lynch and will probably ask for an extension as well. A nameclaim forces mafia to lie and since it won't reveal power roles it'll be giving us a chance to catch them in a lie or see if they slip-up or whatever.

I'll say
1) name of dinosaur
2) picture of dinosaur
3) state whether or not i'm a carnivore/herbivore/omnivore

Niiro

Smash Ace
That seems like a good plan( to me atleast). We should do it quickly to give the mafia less time to get prepared.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Personally, I'm against any sort of Mass roleclaim or nameclaim because I feel like it takes skill out of the game. But if the majority wants a nameclaim I'll do it.

On a seperate note:

btw if we don't agree to it before then i'll be nameclaiming March 28 unless there's some really convincing reason not to. i'd force it so we'd have a few days to get everybody to do it before a lynch and will probably ask for an extension as well. A nameclaim forces mafia to lie and since it won't reveal power roles it'll be giving us a chance to catch them in a lie or see if they slip-up or whatever.
I don't understand why you would nameclaim by yourself. I personally don't see how it helps the town at all to have one person nameclaim. There is the possibility that you are scum trying to make it seem like you have no qualms whatsoever with nameclaiming and that you would do it even if noone else does in order to "prove" that you are town. I just don't see how you think that doing something like this without general consensus from the town could help us at all.
Unless you are trying to force a roleclaim by starting one and hoping others will follow. But even then there are a few things wrong with that. First, trying to force the town to do something seems scummy as well. Also if you are mafia, it would be too easy for you to do that single nameclaim, and than have one of your mafia buddies nameclaim afterwards. This will make others feel even more pressured to nameclaim.

Vote: Marshy

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Marshy I am extremely against name claiming day 1, its just giving extra information its not that hard for the mafia to lie and if there is a pattern they will be able to figure out the power roles.

Please don't name claim d1 when we're no closer to a lynch, it's foolish.

Smash Master
1.) Are we allowed to post the dino pic received in the role pm? Is that considered a quote?

2.)Would it be a good idea to ask any pro-town killers not to act night one, so that we'll know if we have an indi/mafia assassin, assuming they have to kill?

If Marshy was mafia, wouldn't nameclaiming early be a huge risk? Marshy could be all "I'm a Thesaurus, here's my pic." Then someone else could be like "no wait, I'm a Thesaurus for realz" also with pic. Then one of them is getting lynched and the other one is outed either way.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Marshy, my reasoning for being against a name-claim is solely due to the fact that it could help the mafia figure out roles. On top of that, with some good guessing from the mafia we could very well end up with no information for town, and mafia getting something to guess on. I think on D1 it is more important that we try to find something from discussion to go on, instead of trying to do something that could potentially hurt us. Name claims CAN help, but I feel doing one on D1, especially so early in the day, is not worth the risk. If and when we decide to do it, I will have no problems with going along with it, but I feel this is the wrong time to start it.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
good news

let's nameclaim
nah actually a nameclaim seems worthless at this point in the game
wait no let's do it. i don't see a likely downside.
Also, I would like to point this out. First three posts of the game, and you suggest the idea, decide it would be worthless at this point, then decide you want to do it again. I think your middle quote is best, it really seems worthless to do this early. If there's even a chance that a name-claim could give away town power roles, there are definitely more than 13 dinosaurs in the era this game is set, and hence the mafia may get off without any counter-claims, which hurts us more than it helps. We can get something else to go off for now, and worry about a name-claim a bit later in the game when it becomes more of a necessity, instead of now as simply a "well let's see if it helps us more than the mafia" maneuver.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
don't get your point? this game is obviously meant to be herbivores vs carnivores meaning being suspicious of omnivores is a fair assumption since they're in the middle and mcfox said "beware of independents".
I was trying to look at this from a logical and realistic POV in terms of the flavor. From what I'm getting at, it seems that he's going for a more realistic mind of the dino times. And as far as I remember, dinos traveled in groups unless they was kicked out. This is why I was saying before that it's possible there COULDN'T be a independent. Considering that herbovores and carnivors travel within a group.

Marshy said:
i don't get your point or whether or not this is reasoning to be against a nameclaim or what.
I was still arguing the fact of there's possibly no SK

however, looking back on McFox's page, maybe there is infact a SK within our group. Only Day 2 would tell

and as Mentosman explained, Nameclaims is a bad idea to do on a first day. Also, even if we decide to do a nameclaim, half of the people hasn't even posted yet. So if anything, let's wait and see what they have to say.

Smash Master
Well, obviously I'll go with the majority, but as pointed out, nameclaiming produces potential targets regardless of the actual claims. If there's a conflict or stupid claim, then we get an obvious boon, and if there is no such behavior, then we can default to the people who waited to claim until near the end, since it's very possible they were doing so to avoid conflict.

I can't think of any town prs that would give us more information by remaining alive than a nameclaim would. Maybe the cop, but one maf for one cop is a good trade for town, IMO, and I think it's more likely that a mafia member messes up than some dinosaur resembles a cop.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm opposed to a d1 name claim as well. Especially with d1's already being as awful as they are, a name claim would just lead to more confusion. I would suggest waiting until day 2 or 3.
This is tough especially because we can post the picture.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I don't understand why you would nameclaim by yourself. I personally don't see how it helps the town at all to have one person nameclaim. There is the possibility that you are scum trying to make it seem like you have no qualms whatsoever with nameclaiming and that you would do it even if noone else does in order to "prove" that you are town. I just don't see how you think that doing something like this without general consensus from the town could help us at all.
Because I'm convinced that there's no harm to come from nameclaiming. Power roles won't be discovered. Mafia may slip up. Thus a nameclaim D1 is good, and waiting so long will just give them time to think of a better lie. I'll admit that I'm trying to convince people that a nameclaim D1 in this game is a good idea, and if people hold off then frankly i think they're making a mistake. At that point I'll try to force them to do it because there's very very little to fear from nameclaiming if you're Town.

Unless you are trying to force a roleclaim by starting one and hoping others will follow. But even then there are a few things wrong with that. First, trying to force the town to do something seems scummy as well. Also if you are mafia, it would be too easy for you to do that single nameclaim, and than have one of your mafia buddies nameclaim afterwards. This will make others feel even more pressured to nameclaim.
Not if everybody does it, which I'm trying to do. And yes i'm trying to force the town to do something and that isn't suspicious at all by itself. if i think my idea is solid of course i'm going to try to get people into it because it could weed out mafia.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
i still don't get what people mean by a pattern or how it'd help mafia figure out roles. i think mcfox may've went out of his way to make sure that wouldn't happen because you'd most likely think my role was much different than what it actually is. course i'm not going into detail and no one else should but you should all at least know that's partly why i'm so for it.

as for them being able to successfully claim every nameclaim runs that risk. that doesn't really hurt us since power roles won't be found out on it alone. it's the fact that mafia could potentially mess up that makes me want to do it.

rockin i think there is little point to arguing against an SK being in the game D1. there is no way to know and we'll find almost definitely know d2, so it just comes off as an attempt to seem like you're active without saying much.

as for "we can go off of something else for now" who says that we wouldn't be if a nameclaim happened? it's not like everybody nameclaims and if it doesn't help we all mope about how huge a failure D1 was. we walk and chew gum.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
nameclaiming produces potential targets regardless of the actual claims. If there's a conflict or stupid claim, then we get an obvious boon, and if there is no such behavior, then we can default to the people who waited to claim until near the end, since it's very possible they were doing so to avoid conflict.
yes agreed 100% listen to this man. also i agree with you that potential townie killers should hold off tonight, but that's because i'd rather them gather some more info for a better decision later.

pythag as for the nameclaim "just leading to more confusion", well that's just not convincing at all. you can justify many D1 decisions off of that and i could just as easily say "nameclaim will lead to less confusion". we're (hopefully) about as confused as we'll ever be since it's D1 and a nameclaim could help.

and rockin of course i'm looking to seeing what everybody thinks which is why i set my deadline about halfway to the D1 deadline. first half for discussion of nameclaim and other stuff, second half for actual nameclaim and other stuff.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
rockin i think there is little point to arguing against an SK being in the game D1.
actually i was dead wrong on this my bad.

also everybody should know that there's a certain criteria for nameclaiming that is extremely easy to overlook if you were lying. it's nearly invisible. if anyone has any ideas as to what i'm talking about then don't speak up about it at all at all and let it play out during the nameclaim because it could break things open big time.

that said as of this post i will still be trying to spark it come 3/28 because none of the arguments against it have been convincing.

McFox i request a deadline extension

and to clarify Macman: I'm trying to convince everybody that it's a good idea but if they disagree, then i will try to force them into it by sparking it. not everybody needs to say yes/maybe to the nameclaim, just enough people that would nameclaim so the only townie who did so wouldn't be a sitting duck, because at that point anybody who still doesn't nameclaim will be more suspicious for good reason.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'm willing to work with you guys on the deadlines, but this game absolutely has to finish before May 13th. That means if D1 is longer, then the rest of the days will be shorter.

You still have over a week left. That seems like plenty of time to me. For now, just let things play out and we'll see what happens. If it looks like you guys need more time early next week, I may move the deadline. But for now, assume that the deadline is as it stands now.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Marshy the problem is on Day1, do you know how easy it is to counter name claim and if someone like you, me, counter claim, no offense to the other players then they're skills at arguing are going to be stronger. Now if a scum can take out a power role, be it by noticing a pattern or by sheer luck then we're going to be really hurting going into Day2, if we TRULY get a majority name claim I have no choice, but at this point I think it does much more harm then good.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
I think that currently, a name claim is a good idea. However, the problem is that a person with a carnivore role could easily wait until most people have claimed, then safely claim a herbivore which hasn't been taken. I suppose there's no harm being done regardless.

I'd rather avoid nameclaiming myself until at least a few more people agree to it, which doesn't seem to be happening.

To you anti-name claimers: Think of any power role, such as the cop, for instance. What dinosaurs can you think of that would match this role? I can't think of one, maybe one of the more intelligent dinos? My point is, it isn't likely that carnivores will be able to figure out who has a power role and who doesn't. I'd be happy with a name claim if we can get some more support.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
the problem is that a person with a carnivore role could easily wait until most people have claimed, then safely claim a herbivore which hasn't been taken.
stop giving ideas >: (. i'll also say you seem to be overlooking something huge here and if you figure it out stay quiet

I'd rather avoid nameclaiming myself until at least a few more people agree to it, which doesn't seem to be happening.
This is an argument and mentos, rockin, macman, etc. have yet to respond to what i've said. there are players who've barely posted at all. the day is young you downer

To you anti-name claimers: Think of any power role, such as the cop, for instance. What dinosaurs can you think of that would match this role? I can't think of one, maybe one of the more intelligent dinos?
stop giving ideas >: ( it's posts like these that'll lead to the potential benefits of a nameclaim being wiped out. people should ignore this

kevin if i get ya right then it's nearly guaranteed that one of the 2 players claiming the same will be lynched and if the lynched comes up Town, well then that's something to work with.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yeah, its something to work with but if they throw away a scum and somehow hit our Cop or or Doc, then that's a failed name claim imo.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
stop giving ideas >: (. i'll also say you seem to be overlooking something huge here and if you figure it out stay quiet

This is an argument and mentos, rockin, macman, etc. have yet to respond to what i've said. there are players who've barely posted at all. the day is young you downer

stop giving ideas >: ( it's posts like these that'll lead to the potential benefits of a nameclaim being wiped out. people should ignore this
1. I'm pretty sure I know what it is :)

2. Yeah, the day just started, but the deadline is in 4 days. That isn't a lot of time at all. Hopefully we can have an extension.

3. Sorry, but I was just contemplating.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
kevin that's way too unlikely to justify forgoing a nameclaim. I think the only 2 Town power roles you can get away with assuming in every game is the cop and doc like you said. with 13 players and let's assume a 2-3 man mafia, they would be risking sacrificing one of their own on Day 1 to have a 2 out of 11 or 2 out of 10 chance of hitting one of those two and even that is only if they weren't lynched immediately. Still yet there'd be 9-10 players not on their side to deal with and less on their side to handle it. those odds are way too bad for way too little reward to risk going for it D1. i actually wish they would try that since that'd probably end up helping us a lot more than it would hurt.

in fact the longer we wait the better the chance mafia has of pulling that off as numbers dwindle. giving us more reason pull it toDay

Niiro

Smash Ace
Lol, the dead line is on april fools.
But on the subject of a SK, there might be one, like the Trex or something, I read they hunt alone. That could mean its independent.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
speculating about the possible sk is fine as long as it doesn't dominate the discussion which it hasn't

smashbot226

Smash Master
Yeah, the majority of the power roles in this game will likely be neutral. I'm forming ideas right now and will present them on a later date.

For now, there is little we can do other than pressure vote. Which still doesn't help.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
be careful what you say smashbot

are you against/for a nameclaim? question goes out to everybody who hasn't responded since i'd rather not have like half of the players not say anything about it the day i do it. also would like to know what rockin/macman/kevin/mentos now think about it

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I'm still against name claiming *shrugs*, I've aptly explained why, I can see where you're coming from but if a pattern emerges I don't want it to bite in the ***.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Well I don't care much for nameclaiming, like I said before. I will just go with the flow.

Marshy, you keep saying that there is something mafia may overlook if they are trying to figure out names to claim. I don't really understand why if you found a way that mafia could make a mistake, why wouldn't you just keep it to yourself. Now any mafia whose reading your post will try to figure out what that thing is that they may over look and town loses the advantage of having mafia make that mistake.

i still don't get what people mean by a pattern or how it'd help mafia figure out roles. i think mcfox may've went out of his way to make sure that wouldn't happen because you'd most likely think my role was much different than what it actually is. course i'm not going into detail and no one else should but you should all at least know that's partly why i'm so for it.
I also don't know why you said this either. You make it apparent that you have some sort of role. And that information can only help mafia. It also seems like you are doc fishing by saying you have an indiscernible role. You could be scum trying to get the doctors protection on you and away from your potential targets. And yet again, this seems like another of your attempts at trying to make yourself appear town. Which, I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, seems to be what you are trying to do by the way you are trying to get/force us to nameclaim.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I don't really understand why if you found a way that mafia could make a mistake, why wouldn't you just keep it to yourself.
because someone could easily slip up and reveal it if they're not careful. and that is all i will say on that.

i don't follow how you say that i'm doc fishing yet suggest that i have a role essentially trying to make me a target. hey doctor if you are reading this feel free to not protect me tonight though i rather you would because i like this game. btw don't reveal yourself toDay please.

as for "appearing to try and make myself look town" so what? i'm town and proud and you seem way too convinced that i'm a bad guy. that's straight gut

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I don't really understand why if you found a way that mafia could make a mistake, why wouldn't you just keep it to yourself.
because someone could easily slip up and reveal it if they're not careful. and that is all i will say on that.

i don't follow how you say that i'm doc fishing yet suggest that i have a role essentially trying to make me a target. hey doctor if you are reading this feel free to not protect me tonight though i rather you would because i like this game and would like to make sure i can play some more. btw don't reveal yourself toDay please.

as for "appearing to try and make myself look town" so what? i'm town and proud and you seem way too convinced that i'm a bad guy. that's straight gut

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
hey doctor if you are reading this feel free to not protect me tonight though i rather you would because i like this game and would like to make sure i can play some more. btw don't reveal yourself toDay please.
i hit the quote button to edit through another post but hit submit reply instead of preview post to make the fix ooops

Top Bottom