• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy's Moveset Discussion & Ranking Tier List

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Diddy's Moveset Discussion & Ranking Tier List

Copied from Falco boards just like everyone else lolz. This thread can also be a discussion of Diddy's move set. Including discussions of what moves are good for certain situations, which ones are better kept reserved or as refreshers, etc...

S - Broken:

Banana Peel
Peanut Gun
All Taunts

A - Top:

Cart Wheel
Monkey Flip
U-Tilt
Bair

B - High:

Barrels
D-Tilt
D-Smash
Dair
U-Throw
B-Throw

C - Middle:

F-Smash
Fair
F-Throw
Jabs
U-smash
Uair

D - Low:

F-Tilt
Nair
Down Throw
Ledge Get Up Attack

E - Bottom:

Crawl
Wall Cling/Wall Jump
Grab Attack Head Pummel
Exploded Peanut Gun

Broken: The Peanut Gun is Diddy Kongs best move in my opinion and is my personal favorite. With the ability to cancel, gimp, spam, charge for a %17 speedy projectile, change momentum in the air and on ground, etc..... it is easily his most underrated and versatile move, period. Bananas have a lot of combo potential and are a staple in any Diddy's game play. His taunts are self explanatory :p

Top Tier: Diddy's bread and butter. These are his best and most used moves to date for his meta game.

High Tier: Great moves mainly used for damage building. Some key components for combos and follow ups. Has potential and usually pretty versatile for many different situations.

Mid Tier: Good moves that all have flaws. Can be great if used correctly, even though they are not used too frequently. Adds to the mix up game well.

Low Tier: Moves that are either rarely used, limited in their potential, or there are just simply better options.

Bottom Tier: Very little to no use.

NOTE: Open for suggestions.

:monkey:

ADHD

Smash Hero
down b should be broken tier, peanut guns are good but they should be topppppp

pink diddy is broken too

Player-1

Smash Legend
Fthrow and bthrow below Uthrow?

Fsmash and Fair below Dtilt?

Filt>Dtilt

BArrels are high tier, you need them to recover

DUB

Smash Lord
Looks nice, may just be everyone has different opinions but Nanerz do belong in S Rank. Barrels High. Seems the F-Smash should be a little higher too being Diddy's most reliable kill move.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Are you sure about ftilt...? It has ridiculous range.
D-Tilt has just as much range, is faster, is more spammable, and more comboable. Its just better in almost every way.

down b should be broken tier, peanut guns are good but they should be topppppp
I guess I can agree with bananas being S-Top Tier especially since most Diddy players completely rely on them.

Fthrow and bthrow below Uthrow?

Fsmash and Fair below Dtilt?

Filt>Dtilt

BArrels are high tier, you need them to recover
U-Throw has WAAAAAAAAAAY more potential and follow ups than F-Throw and B-Throw.

D-Tilt has just as much range as F-Tilt, but D-Tilt is faster, is more spammable, and more comboable. Its just better in almost every way.

Your right about the barrels, ill move those up.

Looks nice, may just be everyone has different opinions but Nanerz do belong in S Rank. Barrels High. Seems the F-Smash should be a little higher too being Diddy's most reliable kill move.
True, ill move up the Nanas, and Barrels. F-Smash is Diddys most unreliable kill move in my opinion. It can be DI'd quite easily, and sometimes even just flat out misses the opponent!! But the F-Smash isnt that bad so I'll move them up a little.

diddy - bananas = bad
bananas definitely for broken tier or whatever is the highest possible
Not true, although bananas make Diddy much better, he still is a pretty solid character without them.

Thanks for the input everyone. Anything else??

Player-1

Smash Legend
U-Throw has WAAAAAAAAAAY more potential and follow ups than F-Throw and B-Throw.

D-Tilt has just as much range as F-Tilt, but D-Tilt is faster, is more spammable, and more comboable. Its just better in almost every way.

Your right about the barrels, ill move those up.
1. Bthrow has more follow ups than Uthrow, Fthrow is just better for killing, your just putting the best moves that you can combo with, and your thinking little of killing potential.

Ftilt has a bigger hitbox, more killing potential (again your taking combo ability over killing potential), easier to hit with (goes with the hitbox).
F-Smash is Diddys most unreliable kill move in my opinion.
Most reliable kill move IMO. It's his strongest kill move. Strutter step gives it decent range. Rarily do my opponents DI out of it. His Dsmash is very unreliable IMO. It doesn't hit in both directions at the same time, like Olimar, ROB, etc. do, and the second hitbox of it is MUCH weaker than the first, I get opponents living up to 180% because they get hit by the 2nd part of the Dsmash, it has an average spot dodge, much weaker than Olimar's, ROB's, Links spot dodge. Fsmash has more range than dsmash when you're using it forward, but like I said when the dsmash goes backwards, it makes it much weaker. Not to mention you are probabl using your ohter kill moves (Fair, Bair, Uair, Bthrow) for combos besides your Fthrow, but your Fthrow is still a pretty weak kill move.

DUB

Smash Lord
True, ill move up the Nanas, and Barrels. F-Smash is Diddys most unreliable kill move in my opinion. It can be DI'd quite easily, and sometimes even just flat out misses the opponent!! But the F-Smash isnt that bad so I'll move them up a little.
Well I agree with you, I think the D-smash is the best but a lot of the people here think the F-Smash is most reliable. Either way it's still solid.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Nair needs to be lower.

I agree it's underrated, but Ftilt and Uair are DEFINITELY better.

I'd also move utilt lower. It's good but I think dtilt is Diddy's best tilt.

DUB

Smash Lord
Uptilt is good after a dash attack. It's probably one of the most used tilts.

The Up+Throw on the otherhand, not so much Diddy's best throw but it's good to get naners out.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I'd also move utilt lower. It's good but I think dtilt is Diddy's best tilt.

I think D-Tilt is the best tilt too but U-Tilt is more versatile, its good for defense, offense, and very fast and comboable.

Well I agree with you, I think the D-smash is the best but a lot of the people here think the F-Smash is most reliable. Either way it's still solid.
D-Smash is definitely better than F-Smash overall.

1. Bthrow has more follow ups than Uthrow, Fthrow is just better for killing, your just putting the best moves that you can combo with, and your thinking little of killing potential.

Ftilt has a bigger hitbox, more killing potential (again your taking combo ability over killing potential), easier to hit with (goes with the hitbox).

Most reliable kill move IMO. It's his strongest kill move. Strutter step gives it decent range. Rarily do my opponents DI out of it. His Dsmash is very unreliable IMO. It doesn't hit in both directions at the same time, like Olimar, ROB, etc. do, and the second hitbox of it is MUCH weaker than the first, I get opponents living up to 180% because they get hit by the 2nd part of the Dsmash, it has an average spot dodge, much weaker than Olimar's, ROB's, Links spot dodge. Fsmash has more range than dsmash when you're using it forward, but like I said when the dsmash goes backwards, it makes it much weaker. Not to mention you are probabl using your ohter kill moves (Fair, Bair, Uair, Bthrow) for combos besides your Fthrow, but your Fthrow is still a pretty weak kill move.
1. Im taking into consideration of EVERYTHING. U-Throw doesnt kill but it sets up for kills, follow ups, combos, and air chasing, which is HUGE for damage building. All of that together is better than the power of F-Throw killing potential which only kills at high percents and near the edge of stages. U-Throw has waaay more follow ups than B-Throw, thats not even something to argue with.

2. I do agree with you that F-Tilt has killing potential, but that's it. It doesn't really have anything else going for it. D-Tilt is faster, has about the same range, is spammable, and more comboable, just better over all. F-Tilt probably should be higher.

3. Just because your opponents doesn't DI out of your F0-Smash doesn't mean that its better. That's good for you but I am talking about Diddy's move set as a whole. Its true that his F-Smash is stronger, does more damage, and has more killing power than D-Smash but its too easy to get out of. It probably could be higher, but most people agree that D-Smash is more reliable kill move. And no one ever plans on killing with the second hit of it, its all about the first front hit of the move.

Thanks for the input though. Any thing else, open for suggestions.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
U-throw = best throw eh?

i never see Diddy pros use U-throw o_O
I use it as well as NinjaLink (and other good Diddys) Is that enough pros for ya? Linear styled Diddy's only use Back and Forward Throws. Were more versatile than that, and realize the true potential of his move set. You should try it sometime man, its good.

LuWIIgi

Smash Apprentice
I use it as well as NinjaLink (and other good Diddys) Is that enough pros for ya? Linear styled Diddy's only use Back and Forward Throws. Were more versatile than that, and realize the true potential of his move set. You should try it sometime man, its good.

I will try to utilize his U-Throw more thx ^_^

what kinds of things can you get out of a U-throw?

Player-1

Smash Legend
1. Im taking into consideration of EVERYTHING. U-Throw doesnt kill but it sets up for kills, follow ups, combos, and air chasing, which is HUGE for damage building. All of that together is better than the power of F-Throw killing potential which only kills at high percents and near the edge of stages. U-Throw has waaay more follow ups than B-Throw, thats not even something to argue with.
Uthrow has more options, but if you use bthrow you have a way better chance of actually following up

Player-1

Smash Legend
ive accually killed a mario at 0% with a banana
he jumped off to try to meteor smash me, he missed i throw naner and FDs lip caught him
lol
Then he gets 4-5% damage XD.

I don't remember who posted this, but there was a video where a diddy player destroyed a Snake players shield at the beginning of the game with bananas and grenades and he was right next to the ledge which resulted in a shieldbreak and he flew off the stage at 0% XD

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Diddy's most important 'move' in the game is his bananas. That's a given. As for forward tilt. When people are around 180ish I forward tilt then to kill them since it's always refreshed because the only time I use it is by mistake.

Anyways, what is the point of this? lol

LuWIIgi

Smash Apprentice
Then he gets 4-5% damage XD.

I don't remember who posted this, but there was a video where a diddy player destroyed a Snake players shield at the beginning of the game with bananas and grenades and he was right next to the ledge which resulted in a shieldbreak and he flew off the stage at 0% XD
Dx
i didnt think that counted lol

DUB

Smash Lord
Diddy's most important 'move' in the game is his bananas. That's a given. As for forward tilt. When people are around 180ish I forward tilt then to kill them since it's always refreshed because the only time I use it is by mistake.
I get kills with this move more then most people would probably use. It's got nice range and you can angle it. You can hit people on a ledge or recovering to it. The most common use for it to me is if your playing people who like to shield bananas and try to grab the dash attack. The only thing is you gotta be somewhat close but out of grab range of course. hit their shield with the naner then f-tit the grab animation. You have to sell it though. Make the banana throw look obvious.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I will try to utilize his U-Throw more thx ^_^

what kinds of things can you get out of a U-throw?

The main advantage that U-Throw provides is the ability to "air chase" you should look that up in my ADS guide. So many possibilities.

Uthrow has more options, but if you use bthrow you have a way better chance of actually following up
I can see that as being true, especially with a banana in hand.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace

The main advantage that U-Throw provides is the ability to "air chase" you should look that up in my ADS guide. So many possibilities.

Use all 3 throws. Use it like Falco's throw in melee. Mix it up, so it's unpredictable how to react after your thrown.

I get kills with this move more then most people would probably use. It's got nice range and you can angle it. You can hit people on a ledge or recovering to it. The most common use for it to me is if your playing people who like to shield bananas and try to grab the dash attack. The only thing is you gotta be somewhat close but out of grab range of course. hit their shield with the naner then f-tit the grab animation. You have to sell it though. Make the banana throw look obvious.
Ya when people are at high percents I just go "okay up or forward tilt" because I barely use them so they are always at full power and they are faster than a smash and without lag time which makes it harder for your opponent to punish you if you miss.

Omis

my friends were skinny

Anyways, what is the point of this? lol
Every other board is doing it lulz

Player-1

Smash Legend

So wouldn't you agree that bthrow is equal to uthrow then? It should still be right up there with it.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
bananas are pretty much peanuts only they make you slip and you have more options with them with down up or side throws all which can be glide tossed in different directions.

ya i like peanuts for gimping too but come on lets be honest they are not better than bananas (bananas can gimp too btw). if you had to choose a diddy without bananas or a diddy without peanuts what would you choose? nuff said.

LuWIIgi

Smash Apprentice
bananas are pretty much peanuts only they make you slip and you have more options with them with down up or side throws all which can be glide tossed in different directions.

ya i like peanuts for gimping too but come on lets be honest they are not better than bananas (bananas can gimp too btw). if you had to choose a diddy without bananas or a diddy without peanuts what would you choose? nuff said.
if you SH-uncharged peanut>dash, you can grab it and do almost double the bananas damage when thrown
though there is no slipping you can still glide toss a peanut :p

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
if you had to choose a diddy without bananas or a diddy without peanuts what would you choose? nuff said.
I'd choose Diddy without banana's, nuff said. I understand what your saying but we are not deciding which moves are better than which by directly comparing them. We are doing an analysis of each move in comparison to Diddy's overall play and move set. Bananas are VERY good, with HIGH comboability, setting up traps, etc... But Peanuts are just overall more versatile. With HIGH gimping potential, low comboability, limits opponents movements, HIGHLY spammable, ability to cancel, charge, and even change your momentum in the air and on the ground, etc...

Bottom Line: Banana's are good, Peanuts are more versatile, but together makes for one heck of an overdose on potassium kill :)

To Player-1 and everyone else: I made some changes, Any more suggestions?

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I'd choose the diddy without bananas
you sir are crazy
------
and yes i know you can catch peanuts but a glide tossed peanut does not lead into things like a banana, so after its all said and done bananas do more damage. can you string peanut throws all the way across fd? No. Can you string banana throws all the way across fd? EASILY.

Top Bottom