• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #1~ MetaKnight

tibs7

Smash Champion
Only thing mk has that is safe on diddy's shield is an autocancelled bair.
Everything else is punishable by gt oos.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
What is the best way to deal with an aggro mk? like the ones where as soon as the match start they rush you down. Mk seems fast enough to catch u before you let out your first nanner.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
What is the best way to deal with an aggro mk? like the ones where as soon as the match start they rush you down. Mk seems fast enough to catch u before you let out your first nanner.
play the match out without bananas the very first second. u have just as many options as he does the beginning of the match. u can even RUSH him down instead lol. just basic player knowledge. know thy opponent first

PortCity

Smash Ace
play the match out without bananas the very first second. u have just as many options as he does the beginning of the match. u can even RUSH him down instead lol. just basic player knowledge. know thy opponent first
@Dfear: Hahahaha...I taught you well :-D. I'm trying to setup a trip to Florida Christimas time again :-D

Yeah, DFear is right, fight them at the beginning without a banana. As long as you meet them in the middle of the stage, you are not going to get gimped or edge hogged or anything crazy, assuming you don't play too dumb. When you create separation, pull out your friend and fight like you normally do.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
A few tips to help with the MU. If the MK is gliding towards you, don't just wait in your shield. Walk up to him and shield. It is a lot harder to perfectly space a glide attack on a moving opponent than it is on one that is standing still.

Use F-tilt against MKs who like to tilt a lot

DFEAR

Smash Hero
its easier/safer to either fair his glide and/or run beneath him while he is gliding since he cannot change the direction of the glide.

also mks can glide cancel downwards and grab u if you were to attempt to walk towards and shield :\ its impractical against top level mks.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
its easier/safer to either fair his glide and/or run beneath him while he is gliding since he cannot change the direction of the glide.

also mks can glide cancel downwards and grab u if you were to attempt to walk towards and shield :\ its impractical against top level mks.
If you do try to fair his glide attack, most of the time the two attacks will cancel and you will be put in a bad position. Running beneath him does nothing to punish MK and won't stop any future glide attacks from occurring

sai_:)

Smash Ace
I fair mk's glide 5 times before breakfast dude...it works. Even if it clashes you should still be okay.

And going under him is a great idea. it works best holding a banana while doing so imo but you can still aerial him out of his glide

Gnes

Smash Master
I fair mk's glide 5 times before breakfast dude...it works. Even if it clashes you should still be okay.

And going under him is a great idea. it works best holding a banana while doing so imo but you can still aerial him out of his glide
No if it clanks ull still be in the cooldown animation of the move while mk will be free to move.

And yes...going under him is the key to beating it, however most mks will just continue to glide. If ur quick u can minimize his options while in glide and ensure a punish.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
And yes...going under him is the key to beating it, however most mks will just continue to glide. If ur quick u can minimize his options while in glide and ensure a punish.
i like when ppl understand what i say...it makes sense i know :D

@jebus...just because someone is doing a move doesnt mean u can ALWAYS punish it.

option A beats option B. but option C beats option B and metaknight beats every option :\

Staco

Smash Champion
Run under his glide and buffer UAir out of run/shield.
If he glides pretty low, couldnt you just throw a banana at him and grab or something?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Diddy Kong VS. MK Match Up Ratio: 50-50

MK on the ground: MK on the ground is really good. His Forward and Down tilts are fast and he has really good throws which put his opponents in bad situations. As good as MK is on the ground though, all of his ground options get punished by a Diddy that is holding a banana. As long as Diddy is holding a banana, he shouldn't have any trouble fighting MK on the ground. MKs like to shield your bananas and then shield grab them to take away your best ground tool. Use your monkey flip to scare those MKs into thinking twice before they try to hide in their shield as you approach. Diddy kong's F-tilt is also really good in this for punishing tilt spammers.

MK in the air: MK beats Diddy Kong in the air. But who says you have to fight air attacks with air attacks? Grounded Diddy does really well against MK in the air. This is because Diddy has really good tools to hit MK in the air such as his pop gun and bananas. A lot of MK's aerial game(Against a grounded Diddy) revolves around D-air camping and then using Tornado as they run out of jumps. Your chances for hitting him with a banana will come either when he is D-air camping right above you, close to either side of you (This will require you to glide toss) or when he is running out of jumps and is about to tornado.

If the MK D-air camps far away from you, Bait him by shooting peanuts. You should never try to shield the entire D-air camping sequence since your shield will then become vulnerable to MK's tornado. It is also vary important that you are smart when throwing your bananas up since it takes them some time to come back down and Diddy doesn't like being without his bananas for too long. If you do happen to be fighting MK in the air, your best moves for fighting him will be your F-air and B-air or U-air if he is right above you. Try not to fight him like this for too long though.

If the MK tornadoes and you have no banana at hand, jump in the air. If he continues to chase you, time one of your F-airs and hit him on the top of his tornado.use this opportunity to pull out your bananas. If the MK is gliding towards you, don't just wait in your shield. Walk up to him and shield. It is a lot harder to perfectly space a glide attack on a moving opponent than it is on one that is standing still.

MKs offstage game against Diddy: This is the part of the match up that MK excels at. Not only does MK **** up diddy offstage, but diddy can't really do much to an offstage MK except shoot peanuts. When you get sent offstage, do what ever you can to get back on that stage. Don't get to predictable with your recovery or this might cost you a stock.Diddy kong has a lot of options for getting back on land such as monkey flip/kick, reverse pop gun cancel (use this for mind games if the MK is below you or on the ground), air dodge, F-air and double jump. Remember, as long as you have your double jump, MK can't gimp you.

Well, I hope this helps you guys. I might add more later if I feel I forgot something.

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
Everyone talks about d air, but find forward air with meta more annoying. Also the grab tech Chase with forward air and down grab. Also I really do like forward tilt.in this mu. But its tuff when the meta.knows the matchup, especially well with Nanas. Wut r some things to-do against very aggressive meta and forward air spammer
Also I think up shielding works well especially against down air, and nado. And upsmash works well with d air to, and wen off edge I like tobkeep jump till I get jot so I won't get gained as often or just use up b and hold it for a better chance of spike.

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Someone said this before, but if you're dealing with an aggressive MK you can for example mix it up when you're pulling out your naners: you can do an aerial instead of pulling out the second naner, if they follow you that close, or run away and pivot grab them if they think you're going to pull your naners out.

MK's F-air is actually a ****ty move against Diddy. We can do a lot OOS after shielding that move, for example F-air, naner throw->grab, Upsmash, grab etc. MK's F-air->D-tilt bull**** is not effective against Diddy, because it can be punished easily.

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
Well yea I know that also side b ING monkey kick instead of bringing out second nana , but forward air seems to shield poke a lot,

Top Bottom