• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #1~ MetaKnight

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
I don't think stage bans really matter. Just ban the stage you personally hate the most.
For me it's definitely rainbow but it's really your choice since Meta Knight has so many levels to choose from.

TreK

Is "that guy"
He was talking about diddy vs mk. Banning the stage where you play the worst only make MK CP you to your second worst ; thus the pointlessness.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Ninja Edd, you have no idea how much I agree with you. Although it think BF is slightly in MK's favor but whatever.

SuperFudgeChoco

Smash Apprentice
ALWAYS ban Rainbow Cruise against Meta Knights.
I've never met a MK actually destroy on RC (though that's not to say it can't happen) I think most Mks have other stages to pick in mind (Brinstar and BF)

Ninja Edd, you have no idea how much I agree with you. Although it think BF is slightly in MK's favor but whatever.
BF is a mean stage to face MK on regardless, but then you throw in banana's getting stuck on the platforms (which can be used as an advantage SOMETIMES, but they suck when you really need your naner on the same level as you.) I wouldn't say it's extremely hard like Brinstar but a stage to think about to CP.

Prawn

Smash Master
This match is EVEN 50/50. Diddy wins 55/45 on FD, smashville, yoshi's island and 50/50 on lylat and BF.

PS1 and Frigate is even, it just depends on the stage. If PS1 is neutral Diddy wins but once its changes i would say it would go to Meta just because Diddy's banana game changes. On Frigate Meta wins at the starting part but once it flips its your stage just camp the middle with bananas and you shouldnt have a problem, it just becomes another neutral for you. RC and Brinstar are probaly 60/40 in Meta's favor so just ban one (most likely RC). Delfino and Halberd are 55/45 Meta, and Castle Siege is even, Meta wins the 1st part and 2nd when statues are up and Diddy wins the 2nd with no statues and 3rd, he also wins durning the changing of the stage. All other stages are ban or should be so i didnt include dumb stages like JJ and Norfair.

There's no need to explain why each of them win on these stages it should be obvious. Also like i said this match is EVEN and if you think otherwise you probaly suck at this game. Im not great at this game either, but i have a brain and i also live in the region with the 2 best Diddys (and almost every other character).
Both NinjaLink and ADHD should have beaten M2K the last time they played, but NL gets his barrels blow up when he is clearly on the stage and ADHD just runs off the stage like a moron so he gets gimped multiple times, but still almost wins.

Diddy should also be 4th on the tier list above Falco( the top 4 go even with each other) and he has potenial to be the best in the game. We still havent figured a way to land the single nanaer lock and thats just like an auto spike and probaly kill if you do it right plus there's probaly a bunch of things no one as figured out yet either. So just win on a neutral, lose on there CP but if your good you'll win, then CP to your stage and win.

This match is 50/50 and you think Meta is broken gtfo Diddy is, he can trip you whenever he wants, I say ban Diddy over Meta lol
just saying this quote seems a lot more true now :)

Jem.

Smash Master
Brinstar is much more of a threat to Diddy than Rainbow Cruise. Brinstar is the best MK stage in the game. Easy kills everywhere. if you can read while in the air, you can kill at 60 percent with an aerial up b even with DI. It's just a really really good stage for Metaknight.

And I think this matchup is 55-45 Metaknights favor if he knows to edgeguard diddy from above and diagonal. Diddy can't fair or over b to help himself while recovering. It's definently a hard one though for MK, especially if they're inexperienced or just can't grasp what to do.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think we really need a fresh analysis of the matchup. Since a lot of these posts in here are from more than half a year ago.

It's going to be important that all Diddy's learn and know it inside and out before the onslaught of this Summer.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
indeed...matchup should be rediscussed...lol who cares about other characters below A tier anyway

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
But... Jiggs is bad though.

Right now I'm finding MK not so bad to deal with. After watching Pound 4, it really does just take patience and waiting an openning and start the **** whether it's just naner > grab > wait again or naner > dash attack > follow up > wait again. M2K put it best when he said that if Diddy has a naner in his hand, a naner inbetween him and the opponent and is shooting peanuts, there is very little MK can do to approach. Dash attack to pick up naner on the ground is punished the easiest, could come from the air but peanuts slow the approach and can be easily out spaced by a F-air. MK's in this match up would have to be constantly agressive when you don't have the set up out but it does just take one bthrow to have enough time to get 2 naners out. Once this happens, Diddy has to be selectively aggressive against MK. The MK will most likely try for an aerial approach with a couple D-airs and ending with a nado. Diddy's shield has made many MK players that I've played rage. You should be able to shield the whole nado and punish with the naner in hand (you must always have a naner in hand). Don't throw naners wildly hoping to hit because if the MK is the least bit smart, he won't spend a lot of time on the ground, and wild glide tosses aren't hard to punish.
Main problem I find is recovering. Since MK gets most of his kills from gimps and Diddy isn't exactly hard to gimp you have to recover differently than you normally would. I find that not using side-b works the best and a fully charged angled barrel onto the stage is the best option unless of course they are expecting it and punish it simply.
Another thing is, don't try to punish Fsmash with a dash attack, it has deceptively no lag at the end of it and a Dsmash comes out almost immediately after it. A naner obviously will do the job to punish it.
Stage preference I'd say in this match up would be, for neutrals, BF. After one night of playing MKs non stop on only BF (because they refused to play me on SV or FD and I hate Lylat and YI) it is now my favourite stage. IMO banning RC would be the best bet because MK has way too many options over Diddy on that stage. If you ban RC they will most likely go to Delfino or Brinstar. Delfino is a oretty simple stage, easy for Diddy to play on. Brinstar is a lot trickier. I find that if you control the bottom level you can do well, but to actually gain control of it is very hard. MK can shuttle loop through the bottom of the stage which is probably the most annoying part of it. I've seen most Diddy drop naners onto the little pods that join the two parts of the stage but I find this very redudundant because it very very easy for MK to pick it up and will almost never hit them.

Conti

Smash Ace
Its crazy how much diddys metagame evolved... ninjaedd's post seemd like a joke back then but reading ovr it... it seems the most true if u play the matchup correct... we shud def reanalize MK, Snake n a cuple other chars soon

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
This thread seems to have stagnated, but I'll post anyway.

I'm looking for some matchup-specific advice; some questions are repetitive, but the analysis I read in the first two pages was fairly repetitive and not very informational, mostly "MK wins in the air and Diddy wins on the ground. Keep a banana in your hand."
Anyway...

How should Diddy fight an MK who hovers around Dair-ing, landing safely when his jumps run low?
How should Diddy deal with MK's juggling?
How does Diddy re-gain control of the stage/bananas after being knocked off?
How does Diddy edgeguard MK, if at all?
What are the most reliable kill setups on MK? (obviously trip->Dsmash is a staple, but it's predictable)
What kill setups does MK have that Diddy ought to take care to avoid?

Conti

Smash Ace

I'm looking for some matchup-specific advice; some questions are repetitive, but the analysis I read in the first two pages was fairly repetitive and not very informational, mostly "MK wins in the air and Diddy wins on the ground. Keep a banana in your hand."
Anyway...

How should Diddy fight an MK who hovers around Dair-ing, landing safely when his jumps run low?
What are the most reliable kill setups on MK? (obviously trip->Dsmash is a staple, but it's predictable)
This^
Plus more analysis... MLG picked up brawl for 2010... big year for brawl... I am considering going to more tournys now and really want a better idea of this matchup we shud reallly rediscuss

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Who here has encountered somebody actively planking to win, and how did you handle the situation?
Give me anecdotal evidence.

Inb4 this:

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
In most AL tournaments, they "ban" planking by requiring the opponent to get off the ledge and approach if the opponent goes to the other side of the stage and stops engaging. This is only if it's blatantly obvious that they're planking, and if they do it multiple times you can call a judge.

Ergo, I've never encountered planking.

Gnes

Smash Master
Who here has encountered somebody actively planking to win, and how did you handle the situation?
Give me anecdotal evidence.

Inb4 this:
uh what?

Planking is proven to be unstoppable with feasible human reaction time. If their planking, and they have enough ledgegrabs to last till the timer, its over. U might as well ragequit to save time and mental energy.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I don't know about perfect planking, but whenever MKs are playing around at the ledge I've recently tried just running to the edge and charging upB lol. Maybe it can spike them or the barrels can hit them.

DUB

Smash Lord
I've started to count MK's jumps to time f-airs to throw at it. It helps a little bit in dodging the dairs.

My main problem in this matchup is getting control once ive been hit away or up.

Good Kill-setups?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
impossible to stop planking imo. 35 ledge grab rule and im happy :3 least that way they can air camp and i can punish landing or the way they jump

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
There's this really smart thing that my friend does when he gets the stock lead with mk. what he does is he waits on the corner of the stage. If I throw a banana at him, he falls onto the ledge and I can't follow up with anything. If I shoot a peanut at him the same thing happens. If I GT the banana down and try to grab, he side steps and punishes. I think that more MKs should do this

DFEAR

Smash Hero
If I throw a banana at him, he falls onto the ledge and I can't follow up with anything.
do this 35 times and then doesnt matter if ur losing or winning (well i guess if ur winning then yay?)...time him out and u win automatically.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
the timer gives him barely enough time to do this and get away with it without going over 35 ledge grabs. if he does grab the ledge, he waits there till I approach or the platform moves right above him so he can get on it(Smashville). one of the reasons I like going BF instead of SV. I think that it is really smart because it pushes MK to the point where he should almost be banned but it doesn't go over the line to where we would actually ban him

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman

Anyway...

going down the list of questions ummm....

-just wait for him to stop dair camping, throw up your shield every so often so they won't get too aggressive and just wait for them to land and banana them. a lot of mks like to airdodge behind you and grab or nair, so just move around on the ground a lot, try to predict it and yo can get a smash or a grab in.
-SDI and don't airdodge like a ******. fair is broken at the right angle
-I roll and fake out running away, and then grab them when they be too aggressive so I can pull bananas out right away.
-just peanut. no point going off stage unless they start a glide like an idiot
-wait for them to go on the ground. They need to get on the ground in order to get you up in the air, so wait for a laggy attack on your shield and banana dsmash. fsmash is alright, but everyone in my state SDI's in now. sooo gay
-if you are diddy and get grabbed by the ledge, it's pretty much rock paper scissors. if you lose, you're dead. if you tie, then you both get knocked back and you have a better chance of surviving. If you win, well, mix it up next time. watch out for pivot fsmash, but idk what type of dumb mks do that so yeah. if they up b, it's risky to punish because they can attack instantly and clash attacks to get to the ground faster than you, which puts you in a bad situation. most of his kill moves are predictable, but try not to stay in shield because getting grabbed is as bad as getting 2nd hit dsmashed.
-

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
when an mk dair camps on top ur shield, what is diddy's best option? with/ without naner in hand.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
when an mk dair camps on top ur shield, what is diddy's best option? with/ without naner in hand.
if he actually jump-dairs just a bit above you, go ahead and uair oos, it will hit, with a naner, just glide toss upwards (only if you need it to get under him)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If MK hits your shield with D-air, is it possible for you to punish him with a banana U-throw before he can grab it with another D-air or air dodge?

Top Bottom