• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong: Character Playing Guide!

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
the big problem with me is when i'm playing like a falco or a projectile spammer, when they can completely halt your momentum with projectiles or a reflector. and then i get frustrated and lose

DUB

Smash Lord
the big problem with me is when i'm playing like a falco or a projectile spammer, when they can completely halt your momentum with projectiles or a reflector. and then i get frustrated and lose
1)Read both sides of the match-up thread. The one on the Diddy boards and the Falco boards so you know what both intend to do.
2)Hone your dribbling skills. You will need it for this matchup.
3)Most importantly, practice against a friend's Falco and put the 1 and 2 into effect.

You should do a lot better if you follow this. If not, get back to me.

Absoltrainer

Smash Rookie
ok I recently got into brawl and one of the people I faced (and will probably face much more in the future) mains Diddy. He is also EXTREMELY good. He is insane with using 2 bannanas and constantly "chain slipping" (if that's even a term) me and pulling off truely inescapable combos on me.

Personally I use wolf (who the guide said can laser spam), but the person I am facing is soo good and fast, that he won't let me get any range anyways. Basically I find myself constanly slipping and not getting an opening.

Now perhaps I am going about using wolf the wrong way, and I need to go back to square one, but of all the matches I have done thus far, Diddy (or particualy this player) is the hardest.

Any tips on beating a diddy player who using bannana peels to their highest potential?

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Most of this is very good! But there are a few things that are kinda wrong......His up smash is terrible for killing but its perfict for damage building and combos, where did you get the 210% killing range for his back air lol ive killed near the 100s based on the fact that the move is faster than people think. I frogot the rest but htis is a very good beginers guide to Diddy Kong. ( When you add info about glidetossing inform people that glidetossing is good but dont allways use it, i tend to see diddys haveing two bananas glide tossing one then haveing to dash attack to get the other.) Kudos on the diddy guide Fatalities .

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Try useing wolfs reflector lol and when i started out (as a kirby hammer spammer in melee (i was like 10 i was too young to develope stratigy) anyone that beat me seemed like they were the best too. Wolfs Down B should do the trick but if it dosent walk up to the bananaand press a then press a again if you did it right you would have thrown it back lol.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Well it certainly was a useful guide. Thanks for making it and it is unique as it was made by a Smash Child like me. I hope to make one soon

Fitty

Smash Cadet
hmmm well this thread teaches the basic and god combos i say a 7 1/2 out of 10

Foufy

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, I'm almost afraid to post this cause I'm such a noob for not knowing this.
I JUST started Diddy Kong and I'm having issues glide tossing.
I try rolling and spamming my c-stick every direction (I've tried not spamming too) and it never lots me throw the banana mid throw.
My tap jump is on (i use it to jump haha) and all of my controls are default.
Does anyone know wat I could be doing wrong?

TreK

Is "that guy"
You must toss the banana BEFORE you get the roll's invincibility :)

Foufy

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03U5jouoVpc

Watch my video..good for learning stuff like glide tossing if you are struggling.
I really liked ur video. Clearly explained a lot of the principles of being a good Diddy main.

I think the problem I was having was that in all the tutorials it says throw the banana "mid roll" but its actually like the first milasec before ur invincible. Gonna go test tomorrow.

You must toss the banana BEFORE you get the roll's invincibility :)
Thank you very much. I never knew that. I can't test today, but I'm looking forward to checking tomorrow.
That really helps =)

Riku00

Smash Ace
bananas and glide tossing start the combos and he is fast and has decent enough power to wipe out any opponent. he is one of my favorites at this time and i am trying to perfect him the best i can. right now i am pretty good but my dodge game needs a little work. i block too meuch and not enough dodge.

tmi LOL!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'm thinking this guide should be unstickied. The user himself has not been to Smashboards since October, and really is outdated. The fact is that his advice about edgeguarding is way outdated, even for a non Diddy Kong user. Planting a banana near the ledge will cause them to ledge jump an nair (not a push away jump, a true ledgejump) which allows them to steal a banana from you. As far as detail goes this guide is fairly lacking, with almost no strategy and only moveset information. If someone could re-write a guide we should take this down.

Hylian

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking this guide should be unstickied. The user himself has not been to Smashboards since October, and really is outdated. The fact is that his advice about edgeguarding is way outdated, even for a non Diddy Kong user. Planting a banana near the ledge will cause them to ledge jump an nair (not a push away jump, a true ledgejump) which allows them to steal a banana from you. As far as detail goes this guide is fairly lacking, with almost no strategy and only moveset information. If someone could re-write a guide we should take this down.

Hylian
i agree 100%

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I'd love to write a new guide myself, but that would take a great deal of time and effort that I don't have at the moment. A collaborative effort would but ideal, but I'd also like the guide to be uniformly written in one fluid style by the time it's all said and done.

I need a someone or a group of people to commit to the idea before I un-sticky this.

Count

Smash Champion
I'd be willing to help, I will write a full one myself once this summer rolls around if you guys want. Check out my video guide lollerskates! still a bit tipsy..

Player-1

Smash Legend
I had an idea way back to write a guide using the Diddy Kong Back Room account I made and I gave everyone in the Broom the passsword. The point was to use it to write a guide so we could all contribute to it and edit it, update it, etc.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I had an idea way back to write a guide using the Diddy Kong Back Room account I made and I gave everyone in the Broom the passsword. The point was to use it to write a guide so we could all contribute to it and edit it, update it, etc.
So will the idea get put into action?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I'd like for everyone in the DBR to throw down and shape the content, but in the end I would like for one person to direct the overall language and flow of the guide.

TEECO

Smash Ace
Im just now picking up diddy. This was helpful considering im a noob to this character. Hopefully, I can contribute to the diddy boards in the future.

AddictedGamer

Smash Cadet
I'm going to be picking up Diddy as a secondary to my DDD, seems like he has a lot of potential, I just need to learn to glide toss (DDD couldn't do that so I did not learn it...) and figure out how to aim the barrel blast (UpB) and I should pick him up in no time. Also practice with bananas will help anyone's game (for and against Diddy). Good guide.

Top Bottom