• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Four reps feels high for some reason. Like...Mario, Zelda and Pokémon all had four reps last time...do you think that'll be more the norm for this game? I would love Dixie to be included. I actually like her more than Diddy because of that ponytail move she's got. Most useful move ever.

SiD

Smash Master
Yeah I think 4 would be to many, DK hasn't had a decent game in years anyway. Plus, I don't expect Star Fox to have 4 either, 3 at the most. No way Wolf gets in and they bring back Falco.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Four reps feels high for some reason. Like...Mario, Zelda and Pokémon all had four reps last time...do you think that'll be more the norm for this game?
Mario had 5 (6 if you include Yoshi). andyou have to remember that melee only had 26 characters while brawl is expected to have around 40. i dont see 4 reps for DK as ver likely but i wish it would happen. K. Rool and Dixie are far too signifncat to be ignored.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
the 4 reps from DK are going to be
DK, Diddy, Cranky and FUNKY!!! also tiptup from diddy kong racing

also zelda had 5 (link, ylink, ganon, zelda and sheik)

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ah yes, I forgot the Doctor. And I actually typically count DK in with the Mario franchise since that's where he got his start too...and I DEFINITELY count Wario as a Mario character. I don't care that he's got his own spin-off titles now, he's Mario's frickin' doppleganger!

Del Money

Smash Champion
Ah yes, I forgot the Doctor. And I actually typically count DK in with the Mario franchise since that's where he got his start too...and I DEFINITELY count Wario as a Mario character. I don't care that he's got his own spin-off titles now, he's Mario's frickin' doppleganger!
yeah me too. i say Wario is Mario franchise. i disagree with DK though. in fact i prefer to think the Donkey Kong arcade was never canon just because it depicted DK is such a ******** manner. not just visually, but attitude wise as well. you consider Yoshi a Mario franchise rep? i do but everyone tells me otherwise...
you peoplez with your 3 or 4 characters. im just freakin happy i finally got my diddy. thats good enough for me...peace

-hiroshi
you would say something arrogant like that. Diddy as my top 1st party pick for brawl so bite me. i just wanted more franchise repping...is that too much to ask?

SiD

Smash Master
I think'd it'd be funny if Dixie was in, cause she would glide while spinning around. Who needs wings when you got hair?

Sinn

Smash Lord
yeah me too. i say Wario is Mario franchise. i disagree with DK though. in fact i prefer to think the Donkey Kong arcade was never canon just because it depicted DK is such a ******** manner. not just visually, but attitude wise as well. you consider Yoshi a Mario franchise rep? i do but everyone tells me otherwise...
you would say something arrogant like that. Diddy as my top 1st party pick for brawl so bite me. i just wanted more franchise repping...is that too much to ask?
True, the DK in the DKC franchise isn't even supposed to be the same DK (lol Cranky...I don't think DK is DK Jr. though since Cranky is supposedly his grandpa, right? Not sure there...). And I admit, DK's world WAS fleshed out after Rare got ahold oh him. But I always like to remind myself that if it wasn't for that little Jumpman guy, he never woulda existed <3

Or maybe he would have and Mario wouldn't have...hm. Time paradoxes. My brain asplode.

And I would definitely consider Yoshi to still be in the Mario franchise. I mean...he's had what, one game that DIDN'T have Mario in it? I could be wrong...but Yoshi's Story was the only game I can remember that didn't have him. All the others either stared Mario or had him featured as a baby.

I think'd it'd be funny if Dixie was in, cause she would glide while spinning around. Who needs wings when you got hair?
QFT and awesomeness. Though it might work differently...the glides seem to work a little like the plane mechanic in Paper Mario with the whole pitch determining the speed, while Dixie always floated down at a consistent speed. Maybe he Up B would be similar to Peach in that she spins around and smacks people on her way up, and then glides slowly down.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
QFT and awesomeness. Though it might work differently...the glides seem to work a little like the plane mechanic in Paper Mario with the whole pitch determining the speed, while Dixie always floated down at a consistent speed. Maybe he Up B would be similar to Peach in that she spins around and smacks people on her way up, and then glides slowly down.
Dixie Kong For the Win! Where's her thread?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Looking over these recent pages it appears the 'more DK series characters?' argument has re-surfaced.

The fact is the DK series has been criminally under represented within SSB. It's a fact. Pokemon, Mario and LoZ all have more representatives. Of course I understand why this is the case. Over recent years the popularity and success of these franchises far out shines the attention dedicated to the DK series. But just because this is the case it doesn't mean that SSBB shouldn't have a couple of more DK characters. DK is in there and so is Diddy, but personally I would love to have one or maybe two more DK characters. If the likes of say King K.Rool or Dixie were involved in some form within Brawl that would be great.

Say King K.Rool is not playable but only plays a part in the SE. I would welcome that as it at least adds elements of the DK series to Brawl which is something I would love to see. That's why I was so pleased to see Diddy confirmed, who IMO deserved to be in Melee.

In reality, Diddy and Donkey will probably be the only PC characters from the series, but I would love to see more added. DK deserves it’s rightful representation. The same applies to the Metroid series, which is why I support Ridley.

Oh and Rambi as an AT!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
hmm, no. dixie isn't that popular yet.
She's getting there though being included in all these Mario spin offs too.

Well the DK arcade is canon in the DK universe as most of you should know by now (I nagged and nagged about it around the middle of this thread) in the Donkey Kong arcade game that was Cranky Kong when he was younger, Donkey Kong Jr is just the current Donkey Kong when he was but a wee lad.
I never include Yoshi or Wario in the mario franchise when it comes to Brawl, they have their own emblems for a reason ya know!

wasnt DK from the arcade game cranky kong and DK jr. is the DK we know now?
Yes that is correct

I don't think DK is DK Jr. though since Cranky is supposedly his grandpa, right? Not sure there...)
In DKC Cranky was DK's grandpa but it's been changed to his dad now.

Sinn

Smash Lord
In all honesty though, I don't see why they SHOULD have their own icons. Yoshi has his, I'm assuming, because all of the starting characters in the first Smash game had their own. Yoshi really has no franchise of his own to speak of. He has one game that doesn't have Mario in it. Wario MIGHT deserve his own icon since he's stared in numerous games without Mario...but as he was Mario's rival before anything else (and his first staring game was called "Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3"), I still consider him a Mario character since his origin was completely dependent on Mario's existence.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wanna see another Mario (Platform) game where they include Warior in it...

Maybe Bowser and Wart too...

I think that might hard to do of course...

The Director

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong's the ****. Been waiting for him in Smash since 99. Gonna be my main, hands down!

As for Dixie, I'd love to have her as a character. After all, Sakurai has stated on many occasions that Smash needs more chicks. He's right. I see her being an unlockable character. A lot of people say K. Rool should be a character. I agree, I think he should be too but realistically I see him being a boss fight instead of a character.

And if Dixie and K. Rool aren't characters, they'd **** better be AT's!

PS does anybody know where I can find all of these Brawl icon dealies??

Kentalish

Smash Lord
zomg i love this part to

Also, if the shell breaks and a peanut pops out, you can apparently eat the peanut.

You recover a little damage when you eat it. Is this for real?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ya think their going to give him his grenades...(forgot what they were?)

Skazryk

Smash Apprentice
Well Sakurai said himself that there werent going to be any clones in brawl, that all of the characters will have their own individual move set. And from the looks of his special moves i doubt he will be anything like dk, well except for the looks

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm just a little worried about a few things on Diddy's B moves. One thing is the peanut, it recovers. No problem with that, but I doubt the peanut is gonna land before Diddy - rather it'll be placed somewhere near the opponent unless the Peanut Popgun has real high knockback. Also his recovery, apperantly Diddy can lose it right?? That'd make him the easiest character to edgeguard by characters who also have a good recovery... They'd just have to hit him with whatever attack and he'll just lose it anyways. No need to worry. Ofcoarse you could also tilt around a little but he's still a very good target for projectiles. I just hope Sakurai can balance it somehow.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Well I love the update! :) But why can't it be like Link, where we know EVERYTHING! XD
I think they only reason they did it all in one update with Link was to show people, "Hey, look! He have new Twilight Grip Action on our Link this time! See? ALL his moves are different (exceptforarrow)!"

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Well Sakurai said himself that there werent going to be any clones in brawl, that all of the characters will have their own individual move set. And from the looks of his special moves i doubt he will be anything like dk, well except for the looks
If you thought that Diddy was going to be a clone of DK at all I think you need to go back to kindergarden and learn your animals again.

Anyway, I think when Diddy charges his popgun for too long it'll blow up and the peanut will be sent right new to him.

I am a bit worried about his up B though. I mean you can get attacked out of it ( I wonder if there will be a certain amount of damage you take before that happens). The comment of they sometimes can go flying away on their own worries me as well. Could that be a disadvantage of charging it to much?

-Knight

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Because of the drawk back in the up B, I bet it is actually quite a good recovery method. I wonder if Diddy's other two attacks will have the same themes as these ones, y'know, good attacks with multiple benefits, but with a draw back that keeps it in check.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Why does diddy kong have to have the gay moves his guns explode fox's gun never exploded no maker how long you fired. they better have some knock-back to it. his up b comes off when attack!?!? Wtf

I'm pretty sure Diddy kong had 2 pop guns in DK64 not 1

Mr.Midge

Smash Rookie
d/w I'm sure they'll be replaced when you die... so as you learn from your mistakes and don't go haywire with big peanuts flying everywhere

Arteen

Smash Lord
Why does diddy kong have to have the gay moves his guns explode fox's gun never exploded no maker how long you fired.

Well, Fox's blaster is highly advanced technology from a time when interplanentary travel is common and advanced weaponry is developed for war. Diddy's gun is made of wood.

Maybe?

Top Bottom