• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you like or not like Star Fox Zero?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Datamined dialouge and because Rare DID have time constraints since the Microsoft buyout was imminent
Or it was just cut because they wanted too. Like if they decided the character was too bothersome or something.

Like I said, it's fairly flimsy evidence at best. If a dev said something along those lines then sure, but otherwise we don't know what their intent was.

finalark

SNORLAX
Rare's original intent is irrelevant. In the final game, Krystal is a distressed damsel through and through.

If I wrote a book where a dude murdered a dickton of people and then said, "Well, I intended for him to get a redemption scene" but said scene is nowhere to be found in the book then the dude is just a homicidal asshole.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Star fox Zero looks a lot nicer thanks to the better lighting. Hope Platinum Games fixes the games issue of having a poor draw distance though. That was my biggest issues with the graphics.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
How can a modern game have poor draw distance this day and age? That's kinda pathetic.
I think its because the Star Fox Zero's demo was rushed. The game had a large amount of other issues such as low resolution textures in some areas and bad lighting, so the possibility isn't out of the question. I doubt the final game will have these issues.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I think its because the Star Fox Zero's demo was rushed. The game had a large amount of other issues such as low resolution textures in some areas and bad lighting, so the possibility isn't out of the question. I doubt the final game will have these issues.
I hope it doesn't. Because the last thing we need is another Wii U game that looks dated despite being a modern game.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Okay I realized something, Assault and Adventures may not have worked, but THAT doesn't mean they have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and go back to SF64 and ignore everything that happened afterwards. SEGA still acknowledges that Sonic 06 happened and retains elements from that game , and that game was FAR WORSE than Adventures, Assault, and Command. SEGA has the courage to keep trying new things even if they fail. With Nintendo these days, they try a new thing and if it doesn't work, they go back to basics, and stop trying new things for games (I don't mean gimmicks, which the Gyrowing and Gyro controls are). I feel like Nintendo is relying on nostalgia because they have confidence that a Star Fox game that isn't a remake/rehash of SF64, which is nonsense since SF643D didn't sell at all

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay I realized something, Assault and Adventures did not work,
Well...

That's an odd change of opinion.

Almost seems like bait.

I think Star Fox should go back to the 64 formula but I did enjoy Adventures and Assault and they both definitely work.

So... if this is an attempt at straw-manning, then stop now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay I realized something, Assault and Adventures may not have worked, but THAT doesn't mean they have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and go back to SF64 and ignore everything that happened afterwards. SEGA still acknowledges that Sonic 06 happened and retains elements from that game , and that game was FAR WORSE than Adventures, Assault, and Command. SEGA has the courage to keep trying new things even if they fail. With Nintendo these days, they try a new thing and if it doesn't work, they go back to basics, and stop trying new things for games (I don't mean gimmicks, which the Gyrowing and Gyro controls are). I feel like Nintendo is relying on nostalgia because they have confidence that a Star Fox game that isn't a remake/rehash of SF64, which is nonsense since SF643D didn't sell at all
The one and only reason SFZ is abandoning everything post-64 is because of Miyamoto. This is his project and it doesn't matter how well received the titles in the interim were, weren't, or could've been, he and EAD (but especially him) don't give a **** about much else past what they themselves do. Mixed with the fact that he's super resistant to move his series forward nowadays, it's a bad combination.

If this had been a game predominantly developed by Platinum it'd look a whole lot different, and imo more interesting.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I see going back to 64 as less nostalgia and more starting fresh.

06 at least had an excuse... Plot was garbage but the gameplay wouldn't of been bad had they actually had time to finish it. It's kinda funny because the Sonic fanbase is actually porting over the levels from 06 into Generations on the PC. Adventures wouldn't of ever worked as a Starfox game.

Miamoto's more in it for the art then the money, and apparently he's got enough power to greenlight most anything. Who knows, a totally new SF game that's true to it's roots might do well on Wii U.

If this had been a game predominantly developed by Platinum it'd look a whole lot different, and imo more interesting.
Eh... I get the feeling we'd have a slightly different plot, taking place between 64 and Adventures probably without any buildup to the latter, but the gameplay would be similar to what we have now or just a copy of 64. Depends if they would go whole-hog on the gamepad like they did with W101 (which had forced dual perspective gimmicks throughout the game I might add) or just keep it simple out of fear/respect.

finalark

SNORLAX
Okay I realized something, Assault and Adventures may not have worked,
Way to 180 that opinion bro.

I thought Adventures was alright. It didn't leave much of an impression but it was a serviceable adventure game. It was my first Star Fox game so I really didn't have much of a basis for comparison. Hell, I didn't even play 64 until well after I had already played the GCN games.

I still stand by what I said about Assault. It's a good evolution of 64 and did a great job at pushing the series forward.

Hell, I even thought Command was pretty good. I never played the single player, but local was really fun once you got used to the controls.

SEGA still acknowledges that Sonic 06 happened and retains elements from that game
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. As a lifelong Sonic fan, let me tell you how incorrect this is.

After Sonic '06 they completely threw the Adventure formula out the window and started from scratch. Where do you think boost Sonic came from?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I feel the main Miyamoto decided to reboot the series again is because the plots of the later games in the series became very messy / convoluted. A clear example of this is Star Fox Adventures, where after 7 years of doing absolutely nothing, the Star Fox Team goes to a random planet and does some s*** that somehow resurrects Andross whom they kill again. IMO a fresh start from all of that would do the series a lot of good. For me, the main appeal of the star fox plot was the dialogue and characters rather than the story itself, so I'm cool if they reuse the storyline. Nintendo and Platinum definitely need to create new dialogue for the characters, however. I don't want the characters to reuse any dialogue like they did in the E3 build of the game.

On an unrelated note, I really hope the developers add walker missions based off of the ones in Star Fox 2. Those were pretty fun for me and it would be nice to see some of them return.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would have liked a re-imagining.

Like working Krystal and Panther into Star Wolf somehow.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm still sick of fighting Andross. I really wish he hadn't been shoed into the end of Adventures because NO REALLY THIS IS A STAR FOX GAME SEE THERE'S A DISEMBODIED MONKEY HEAD.

I thought the apperoids were cool. It would be neat to fight another unknown race as long as they don't recycle the Borg's gimmick again.

That part in Assault where (spoilers for a decade old game) Pepper dies make me want to take a screen cap of Picard as Locutus with Pepper's face photo shopped in.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wouldn't even mind Andross again if they take a new spin with it.

Maybe he's his normal self for like half the fight then BAM. Giant monkey head.

They can do interesting things with him. Maybe even bring Dash into it.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well...

That's an odd change of opinion.

Almost seems like bait.

I think Star Fox should go back to the 64 formula but I did enjoy Adventures and Assault and they both definitely work.

So... if this is an attempt at straw-manning, then stop now.
I meant in terms of gameplay, Adventures was not even meant to be a Star Fox game initially, and Assault was full of bugs, then again the game was rushed, As much as I liked them (and I did), I feel
Way to 180 that opinion bro.

I thought Adventures was alright. It didn't leave much of an impression but it was a serviceable adventure game. It was my first Star Fox game so I really didn't have much of a basis for comparison. Hell, I didn't even play 64 until well after I had already played the GCN games.

I still stand by what I said about Assault. It's a good evolution of 64 and did a great job at pushing the series forward.

Hell, I even thought Command was pretty good. I never played the single player, but local was really fun once you got used to the controls.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. As a lifelong Sonic fan, let me tell you how incorrect this is.

After Sonic '06 they completely threw the Adventure formula out the window and started from scratch. Where do you think boost Sonic came from?
I was referring to 06 levels in Generations and Unleashed was supposed to be SA3

finalark

SNORLAX
I was referring to 06 levels in Generations and Unleashed was supposed to be SA3
I know that Unleashed is called Sonic World Adventure in Japan. But I said that they didn't carry over the Adventure formula. I.E. the game play that SA2, Heroes and '06 were modeled after.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

And after Generations they ditched the boost mechanic even though the game was almost universally praised. That's just SEGA trying to reinvent the wheel again... Speaking of Generations, they dedicated a whole level and a boss to 06. Funnily enough the level has it's own plot justification too, since that timeline infamously didn't exist anymore.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
And after Generations they ditched the boost mechanic even though the game was almost universally praised. That's just SEGA trying to reinvent the wheel again... Speaking of Generations, they dedicated a whole level and a boss to 06. Funnily enough the level has it's own plot justification too, since that timeline infamously didn't exist anymore.
I was just proving my point that SEGA at least acknowledges their failures, but Nintendo pretends they never happened (most of the time)

finalark

SNORLAX
I was just proving my point that SEGA at least acknowledges their failures, but Nintendo pretends they never happened (most of the time)
No, when it comes to Sonic SEGA has a panic attack and is afraid that if they don't bring out some crazy new gimmick every game fans will get bored and stop playing Sonic.

Although they're pretty good and keeping their **** together when it comes to their non-Sonic IPs that they still support.

Except for Phantasy Star. Someone with power at SOJ really, really hates non-Asians.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
Going to be completely honest.

I've never been a fan of the Star Fox franchise, simply because I don't believe Nintendo have the hardware to do games like that justice. I mean, graphics matters for a lot of people, including me. If I'm playing an old game I don't really care much, but when a next-generation game scheduled for release in 2016 looks like a PS2/PS3 game I just don't want to play it.

I get why the game is appealing to some people, but it just doesn't do it for me when I can play games like BF4 and WarThunder on my gaming PC. Opinions I guess.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Graphics looks mostly the same for me.

People always do those graphic side by side and I have to take time and look for differences rather than just seeing it

finalark

SNORLAX
And yes, graphics means a lot. It would be stupid to say otherwise.
Maybe it's because I'm a console 'tard, but as long as a game looks decent I'm usually down with it. Apparently Fallout 4 looks like **** or something. I've never played it, but the screenshots I've seen look fine.

I mean, ****. I'm still impressed that I've never seen texture popping on a Wii U.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I really can't find myself to give a **** about raw graphics. Art style is important, and so is a stable framerate, but other then that I'd be playing SF0 with N64 graphics if it was fun.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It depends on the game.

And yes, graphics means a lot. It would be stupid to say otherwise.
I find it funny you told that to a guy with a shovel knight avatar. His presence should be capable of explaining exactly otherwise why graphics don't need to be high end for a game to look good. There's some well designed pixel graphics.

I'm hyped for this game. I also hope they keep the muppets for the gameplay.

..But I'm also the weird guy who wishes Command got to have a sequel too. I enjoyed piloting as the other characters, if they could have incorporated that into the multiplayer, that game would have been perfect.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I'm not terribly impressed with it from a pure innovative perspective, but I might end up giving it a try on launch day.

D

Deleted member

I have to be honest. I've had some time to think, and I'm really looking forward to SFZ. Why? Adventures.

We have SF64, SF SNES, which practically established the fact that the Lylat System is inhabited specifically by animals that are anthropromorphic, and that there is no magic, mystical energy or realistic animals, especially not Dinosaurs.

And then Adventures shoehorned it in there, and it's just really out of place.

Also, let's not forget Dinosaur Planet.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have to be honest. I've had some time to think, and I'm really looking forward to SFZ. Why? Adventures.

We have SF64, SF SNES, which practically established the fact that the Lylat System is inhabited specifically by animals that are anthropromorphic, and that there is no magic, mystical energy or realistic animals, especially not Dinosaurs.

Well, birds are a type of theropod. Theropod are a type of dinosaur that include the t Rex.

So, falco in means there ARE dinosaurs in the Star fox universe

Freduardo

Smash Champion

But then Assault and Command use Krystal... so I guess there's dinos and regular animals.

D

Deleted member

But then Assault and Command use Krystal... so I guess there's dinos and regular animals.
Yeah. That's why I'm looking forward to SFZ.
Well, birds are a type of theropod. Theropod are a type of dinosaur that include the t Rex.

So, falco in means there ARE dinosaurs in the Star fox universe
True, but Falco's still anthropromorphic. Of course, Scales is, as well as the rest of the Sharpclaw. Though I'm still salty about DP's cancellation

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
From what I've seen of it, Star Fox Zero looks like it'll be pretty good. I'm excited for its release, I just hope not to be disappointed.

Last edited:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
I feel like a reboot of the series was needed after the horrific hodgepodge that was Command, and what a better place to begin again than Star Fox Zero. Hopefully the production on future titles are kept a little bit tighter so we don't have a deviation too great from the norm like Adventures. I would hope that someday we get a play style like Assault,

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I feel like a reboot of the series was needed after the horrific hodgepodge that was Command, and what a better place to begin again than Star Fox Zero. Hopefully the production on future titles are kept a little bit tighter so we don't have a deviation too great from the norm like Adventures. I would hope that someday we get a play style like Assault,
True, but did they really need to go back to SF64?, They could have just had the game take place after Assault

Last edited:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
True, but did they really need to go back to SF64?, They could have just had the game take place after Assault
You're right, they could've just eliminated Command from the canon, but I think the hate for Krystal/Dinosaur planet was so strong they figured they'd just scrap it.

I definitely think Platinum Games could've taken the Assault concept and make it 100x better, but at the same time, I'm not against them starting at 64. With that in mind, we know approximately ziltch about the plot, other than that some lines of dialogue are the same. Has the main villain been confirmed to be Andross at this point for example?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You're right, they could've just eliminated Command from the canon, but I think the hate for Krystal/Dinosaur planet was so strong they figured they'd just scrap it.

I definitely think Platinum Games could've taken the Assault concept and make it 100x better, but at the same time, I'm not against them starting at 64. With that in mind, we know approximately ziltch about the plot, other than that some lines of dialogue are the same. Has the main villain been confirmed to be Andross at this point for example?
From what I have seen, it basically looks just like SF64HD, and one of the co-directors (who works at Platinum) stated that if Platinum does another Star Fox game, that they would love to bring Krystal back,

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Hooray! I'm excited for that! I personally have an affinity for the character IanTheGamer IanTheGamer and I hope that her origin story this time around wouldn't be shrouded in a bad game like SFA.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Hooray! I'm excited for that! I personally have an affinity for the character IanTheGamer IanTheGamer and I hope that her origin story this time around wouldn't be shrouded in a bad game like SFA.
I honestly cant see why Adventures left such a bad taste in peoples mouths. I really can't. The game was engaging, and the graphics were impressive at that time, I know I've stated this before, but I'm always perplexed when people say Adventures was a disaster.

Top Bottom