• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you like or not like Star Fox Zero?

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
Star Fox fans aren't going to lose interest in the game when the release is imminent, just because they had to wait a few months longer for it. Nintendo at least needs to get it out before the NX is revealed (likely at E3 2016), though, because THAT will definitely steal its thunder.
Good point. Hopefully they do get it out there before then.

D

Deleted member

Star Fox fans aren't going to lose interest in the game when the release is imminent, just because they had to wait a few months longer for it. Nintendo at least needs to get it out before the NX is revealed (likely at E3 2016), though, because THAT will definitely steal its thunder.
I'm expecting them to reveal the NX around E3, so I think we'll be fine.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Less than two months until release, and we still hardly know anything about this game. As Nintendo has still been quiet about it.

Any ideas?

finalark

SNORLAX
Less than two months until release, and we still hardly know anything about this game. As Nintendo has still been quiet about it.

Any ideas?
This is just kind of how Nintendo does things. Hell, with a few notable exceptions, I'm wiling to say it's how Nintendo's done things for the last ten years. They're just not as loud and bombastic about their games as other companies are (IMO you can thank Twilight Princess for that).

That being said, it's still strange that we haven't heard anything. I think Nintendo plans on just kind of giving it a quiet release.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't think they have a lot to really show. Had it been released about when it should of we wouldn't of had this sudden dearth of info.

It also makes me think they're not adding anything they can really advertise, like multiplayer.

D

Deleted member

I don't think they have a lot to really show. Had it been released about when it should of we wouldn't of had this sudden dearth of info.

It also makes me think they're not adding anything they can really advertise, like multiplayer.
Same. It's still a shame there's no online multiplayer.

Still looking forward to it though ^^

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Maybe sometime in late March, they'll do a Star Fox Zero Direct, similar to the Smash Bros. Wii U 50-Fact Extravaganza. (We hardly knew much about that until a month before its release, remember?)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Considering we just got the Pokemon Direct (even though it really just was to say SuMo was a thing that exists) and there's another Direct coming up, I don't think they're going to dedicate a whole direct to SF0. We're probably getting another trailer and maybe an explanation about a feature we don't know about yet.

Hopefully it's leaderboards with some kind of replay feature.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Yep, it IS just Star Fox 64 with better graphics and a few gimmicks,Look I have no problem with not having Krystal in the game, but the same Andross plot again?!

D

Deleted member

While an all out reboot of 64 again isn't what I'd go for, it's still fine in my book.

Also, was that Jay Ward doing Wolf's voice again? O.o

finalark

SNORLAX
Yep, it IS just Star Fox 64 with better graphics and a few gimmicks,Look I have no problem with not having Krystal in the game, but the same Andross plot again?!
There was some new pink dog character thing in the trailer. So hey, there may be a few surprises in store.

I have seen so many people who dont know who Katt is on multiple sites. It's like people didn'teven play 64.

Game looks better every time they show it off. Im still really worried about the controls, but everything else looks good and i cant wait to try it.

#Where'sBeltino

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Katt has only been in 64, [643D] and Command so far; it is true that she's had a redesign in the latter, but that game ended up out of the series' canon so it is only natural that they retained the 64 design.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
How the hell is it that I've played every game in the series but have never heard of Katt?
She only appear on hard mode in SF64 I believe.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Really though, I don't know how many people actually beat Star Fox 64.

A lot of the people don't know her. Even people who were pushing to go back to that gameplay style.

How the hell is it that I've played every game in the series but have never heard of Katt?
I could have sworn Katt had a somewhat major role in Command. Never played the game but if I remember correctly she is an at least 2 endings.
Really though, I don't know how many people
actually beat Star Fox 64.

A lot of the people don't know her. Even people who were pushing to go back to that gameplay style.
You don't have to see Katt to beat 64.

Even then it may be a case of small sample size. Plus the whole: People who want 64 back != people who haven't played 64 even though they are both considered star fox fans

I just wann Assualt gameplay back dammit

I beat the game once on a friend's N64. I haven't played the game since.
Buy Star Fox 64 3D

Great game made portable

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Back in the days of SSB64, I often thought how cool it would of had Kat as a character (along with James and Lt. Surge from Pokemon and James Bond from Goldeneye.).

Anyways, to answer the wuestion, it seems like too much like SF64 and not enough progression. I like it but I would of preferred more substance rather than nostalgia.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Back in the days of SSB64, I often thought how cool it would of had Kat as a character (along with James and Lt. Surge from Pokemon and James Bond from Goldeneye.).

Anyways, to answer the wuestion, it seems like too much like SF64 and not enough progression. I like it but I would of preferred more substance rather than nostalgia.
Agreed, such as starting after Assault, and retconning Command
Agreed, mainly because she, just like Adventures, was shoehorned in for stupid reasons.
Yes Krystal was shoehorned in but she can easily be reworked in order to better suit the universe,
Here's how I would have did it:
Krystal- The sole survivor of the doomed planet Cerinia, Krystal is quite the warrior, she helped Fox defeat General Scales during the Saurian Crisis (Yes in my universe, Adventures is partially canon, but the magic is less relevant to the story, it has some elements of mysticism thrown in, but that's about it, just to make it feel more in place with the rest of the games,), out of gratitude and also he was impressed by her fighting skills, (and because he harbors some feelings for her, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING SOME ROMANCE INVOLVED IN A GAME STORY, their relationship is essentially this, while they both are capable fighters on their own, they are even better working together, plus she and Fox also have many common bonds like losing loved ones, and those bonds strengthen their relationship ), Though the destruction of her home and the death of her family may have traumatized her (she has PTSD from it, causing nightmares and flashbacks), Krystal has managed to stay sane, as she now considers Star Fox to be her family. The destruction of Cerinia also lead to Krystal developing an ideology that basically is "Nobody ever should have to lose their home like I did", She is calm, collected, and quite caring. (Krystal is still quite attractive in terms of appearance but she isn't oversexualized like in Assault and Adventures, ) (Krystal still has ESP and Psychic abilities, resulting from Andross experimenting on her), Andross had telekinesis so it isn't out of place), but also has some spunk and dry wit thrown in, she can also be quite playful and flirty around Fox (the romance with her and Fox isn't as strong as in past games but it is there)
(Other parts of her character that have been reworked is that the Cerinian culture was a mix of technology and mysticism, they had advanced technology and also used mysticism, her clothing during the Saurian Crisis is different too, think warpaint Krystal from Event Horizon), Krystal happens to be a decent pilot and decent shot, but is an expert when it comes to staff and melee combat

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
As someone that's played the game, it's Starfox 64 but with slight motion controls. Whether they enhance the gameplay or not, that's subjective. I enjoyed it, not a must-buy for me though.

and by that I mean gameplay-wise

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
This is exactly what I expected. I'm probably gonna wait until a price drop for this one.
I think I might do the same and wait for an Amazon sale or something of the like.
Them college books be expensive

Isn't the campaign only supposed to be about an hour or two anyways?

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Yeah, it's pretty short (no spoilerino).

tl;dr If you liked Starfox 64, you'll like Starfox Zero. If you wanted a new experience with new gameplay, the new motion controls probably won't do it for you.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Day One buy for me. :awesome:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Beating Andross once shouldn't take long but playing every level, including the true Andross, requires multiple playthroughs. I could be mistaken but I think there's more branching paths then 64 had, and in 64 you had to play through the game three times at least to see every level. Without a guide I'd say you'd have to play through 64 at least seven times to figure it out yourself. This one might be more.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
To be fair, Star Fox Zero does look to be a game that I will at some point purchase, but won't purchase it Day One, (I never purchase games like that anyhow), or within the release window, sorry, but the new Doom will probably be what I purchase in that period. I will buy it once the DLC comes out

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I mean...

It is at a discount price.

It's only 60 bucks with Star Fox Guard.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I feel like Miyamoto handing the series off to Platinum, and merely being an advisor, would be the best option for the series moving forward, they probably could move the franchise past Star Fox 64, yet still keep the fast paced space combat gameplay that made the series what it is, I am sorry but Star Fox 64 was a great game in 1997, and would have been a day one purchase if I were around then, but games themselves have changed in the 19 years since SF64 was released

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Anybody see the new interview? http://time.com/4245215/starfox-wii-u/

Lot's of good stuff in there, like the easier and harder modes and what's new about the story. Namely about the changed tone, he's implying it's less silly one-liners and more about explaining the relationship between the characters present, like what caused General Pepper to give Andross the boot and why he's so intent on taking over Lylat.

Top Bottom