• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you like or not like Star Fox Zero?

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Foxus Foxus my main complaint was that the battle system was clunky. I just didn't like how it flowed. I also believe that Assault achieved the idea of having on foot missions and vehicle missions to near perfection. Adventures had too much on foot whereas 64 had no on foot in the main game.

finalark

SNORLAX
I honestly cant see why Adventures left such a bad taste in peoples mouths. I really can't. The game was engaging, and the graphics were impressive at that time, I know I've stated this before, but I'm always perplexed when people say Adventures was a disaster.
Probably has something to do with the fact that it's not what people wanted, it was obviously hastily converted to an SF game and for many, many people it was honestly kinda forgettable and fell right into the "average" category.

To this day I still think the most engaging part of the game was the tutorial.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
My main worry with Zero in particular is that it'll be heavy on vehicle combat and feature no on the ground support. But at least Platinum has put enough new spins on the vehicles to where it will at least feel different. Maybe if they do good numbers with the next game, this one will have some nice fluid on the ground combat.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I'll agree that Assault was better balanced in the sense of a equalization of on foot and in air missions. Graphics were a bit cheesy though on Assault.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Admittedly, Command was a cluster****, I have no problems with story in Star Fox games, but they should be more than just "Andross is attacking Lylats, stop him", and nowhere as complicated and confusing as Metal Gear Solid 2

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
No. From what we've seen it won't reach its potential. There's so much one can add to Starfox and improve upon the good bits. Thanks Shiggy, stick to Pikmin please...

So unless I am unprecendtly blown away and genuinely impressed I am not buying nor supporting the game.

That said, I hope it's received somewhat well critically and it sells enough for N to want to make another SF game within the next 5 yrs. I'm also really happy for those who wanted a new SF game. I know I would be really happy if it was something like Kid Icarus.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
No. From what we've seen it won't reach its potential. There's so much one can add to Starfox and improve upon the good bits. Thanks Shiggy, stick to Pikmin please...

So unless I am unprecendtly blown away and genuinely impressed I am not buying nor supporting the game.

That said, I hope it's received somewhat well critically and it sells enough for N to want to make another SF game within the next 5 yrs. I'm also really happy for those who wanted a new SF game. I know I would be really happy if it was something like Kid Icarus.
Yes, I heard Platinum wants to do the next game in the series, If I was Miyamoto, I would allow them to do it, Shiggy is a stubborn old man, who's best years are obviously behind him, Miyamoto should accept the fact that he isn't the brilliant game designer he once was, and move on to smaller projects

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I understand annoyance at his decisions but....

Can we not bash the man's character?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yes, I heard Platinum wants to do the next game in the series, If I was Miyamoto, I would allow them to do it, Shiggy is a stubborn old man, who's best years are obviously behind him, Miyamoto should accept the fact that he isn't the brilliant game designer he once was, and move on to smaller projects
Uhh... Platinum's working on this game with Miamoto. If they want to do a sequel and SF0 does well I don't think Miamoto's going to say no.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Uhh... Platinum's working on this game with Miamoto. If they want to do a sequel and SF0 does well I don't think Miamoto's going to say no.
That's basically what I said,
I understand annoyance at his decisions but....

Can we not bash the man's character?
I wasn't bashing Miyamoto's character, he just has lost a step, and let's face facts, he isn't getting any younger

D

Deleted member

I just thought of something. At 7:19, Pepper says: "Star Fox, we are once more in your debt." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFCegtLVi00
I don't know, but that line makes it sound like this game takes place after 64, overwriting Adventures. If so, I may as well preorder this game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I just thought of something. At 7:19, Pepper says: "Star Fox, we are once more in your debt." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFCegtLVi00
I don't know, but that line makes it sound like this game takes place after 64, overwriting Adventures. If so, I may as well preorder this game.
He says the line, word for word, at the end of 64... That and they've said multiple times that this is chronologically the first game in the series like the original and 64 were.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Do I like it?

Yes, yes I do. I wanted a Star Fox that stuck to its on-rails roots, and that's what we're getting.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You all need to stop looking at SF64 with rose colored glasses, yes it was a great game for it's time, but it really doesn't hold up today compared to other games from that generation like Banjo-Kazooie or Metal Gear Solid, it wouldn't sell if it were released in today's gaming market,where the on-rails genre is dying out.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You all need to stop looking at SF64 with rose colored glasses, yes it was a great game for it's time, but it really doesn't hold up today compared to other games from that generation like Banjo-Kazooie or Metal Gear Solid, it wouldn't sell if it were released in today's gaming market,where the on-rails genre is dying out.
I could say the same for Adventures and Assault. Adventures, because the adventure platformer genre is dying out and Assault is also a rail shooter.

People want the game like 64. That's not a bad thing.

If anyone is looking at things with bias, its you. And it's partnered with this unlikable attitude.

Now you're trying to invalidate other's opinions by stating we need to change.

Bro.

Maybe you need to change and just accept Zero for what it is.

You don't have to like it. No one is asking you to, but a lot of people are very excited for Star Fox Zero.

At least let them enjoy it.

D

Deleted member

I don't see what's wrong with bringing back gameplay people loved. With the way Star Fox ended up selling poorly compared to 64 since Adventures, I don't blame Miyamoto for going back to what worked. Only thing I'd like to see changed is having the game take place after 64, overwriting Adventures.

As long as I see no blue vixen, dinosaurs, mammoths and magic, I'm fine.

I never played 64 as a kid. First time i played it was after asualt and adventure.

Is assualt my favorite? Yeah. But i still completely loved 64 regardless of any nostalgia i couldnt have.

I have no reason to be mad about their choice of gameplay style. As long as the game is good my only complaint is multiplayer. And so far it looks good

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I could say the same for Adventures and Assault. Adventures, because the adventure platformer genre is dying out and Assault is also a rail shooter.

People want the game like 64. That's not a bad thing.

If anyone is looking at things with bias, its you. And it's partnered with this unlikable attitude.

Now you're trying to invalidate other's opinions by stating we need to change.

Bro.

Maybe you need to change and just accept Zero for what it is.

You don't have to like it. No one is asking you to, but a lot of people are very excited for Star Fox Zero.

At least let them enjoy it.
I do accept it, having SF64:HD is better than having no new Star Fox game at all, (Sorry F-Zero fans), By wanting a game like 64, I think they were just referring to the game playing similar to SF64,but not a complete rehash of SF64. And @Svedguy, what the hell is your problem with Krystal, and don't give me the "She doesn't fit the Universe" BS, In SF64, Andross had telekinesis, so having psychic powers does fit in, and her character can easily be reworked to fit the universe, She actually does play an important role in Command and Assault,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do accept it, having SF64:HD is better than having no new Star Fox game at all, (Sorry F-Zero fans), By wanting a game like 64, I think they were just referring to the game playing similar to SF64,but not a complete rehash of SF64. And @Swedguy, what the hell is your problem with Krystal, and don't give me the "She doesn't fit the Universe" BS, In SF64, Andross had telekinesis, so having psychic powers does fit in, and her character can easily be reworked to fit the universe, She actually does play an important role in Command and Assault,
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...llpaper.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100131064948

Andross having telekinesis was a result of experiments rather than it just being there. Speaking of Krystal, I feel like her character was poorly written. One second, she takes the Aparoid Invasion seriously, and the next she's trying to sneak her way into Fox's pants.
Also:

Above Fortuna:

Slippy: -Here we go!

Krystal: -Hey Slippy, don't get cocky!

Later on at Oikonny's base, Krystal does the same thing as him. She flies off to go after a few Venomians. Krystal: -Here we go!

I said it before, and I still stand by it: Dinosaurs, mammoths, spirits, mystical stones and magic doesn't feel like it belongs in the Star Fox universe, and it's easy to tell it's there because Miyamoto had no idea what he was doing when he was like "Hey, let's take this dinosaur, mammoth and magic filled game and turn it into a Star Fox game!"

I do agree that she could be rewritten to fit Star Fox. If they changed her backstory and identity completely to Kursed, then I'd be fine with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You keep saying this but not backing it up.

SF64 is considered to be one of the best games on the N64, not that there's much competition... Still, it's hanging with the likes of SM64 and your BK.

You keep saying it's not going to sell and yet 643D was a successful test for the franchise, and even with all the feedback they gathered they decided to make it a 64 sequel instead of any of the later games. Even with the fanbases of the newer characters they decided to cut them, either looking for an excuse and then deciding on being a reboot or they decided it was going to be a reboot and said characters wouldn't fit. Funny, Miamoto has a knack for unceremoniously cutting "beloved" characters...

It's pretty clear that there's no rose tinted glasses when it comes to SF64. People just like that game the most.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...llpaper.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100131064948

Andross having telekinesis was a result of experiments rather than it just being there. Speaking of Krystal, I feel like her character was poorly written. One second, she takes the Aparoid Invasion seriously, and the next she's trying to sneak her way into Fox's pants.
Also:

Above Fortuna:

Slippy: -Here we go!

Krystal: -Hey Slippy, don't get cocky!

Later on at Oikonny's base, Krystal does the same thing as him. She flies off to go after a few Venomians. Krystal: -Here we go!

I said it before, and I still stand by it: Dinosaurs, mammoths, spirits, mystical stones and magic doesn't feel like it belongs in the Star Fox universe, and it's easy to tell it's there because Miyamoto had no idea what he was doing when he was like "Hey, let's turn this dinosaur, mammoth and magic filled game and turn it into a Star Fox game!"

I do agree that she could be rewritten to fit Star Fox. If they changed her backstory and identity completely to Kursed, then I'd be fine with that.
Or just change her backstory,yet keep the sole survivor
You keep saying this but not backing it up.

SF64 is considered to be one of the best games on the N64, not that there's much competition... Still, it's hanging with the likes of SM64 and your BK.

You keep saying it's not going to sell and yet 643D was a successful test for the franchise, and even with all the feedback they gathered they decided to make it a 64 sequel instead of any of the later games. Even with the fanbases of the newer characters they decided to cut them, either looking for an excuse and then deciding on being a reboot or they decided it was going to be a reboot and said characters wouldn't fit. Funny, Miamoto has a knack for unceremoniously cutting "beloved" characters...

It's pretty clear that there's no rose tinted glasses when it comes to SF64. People just like that game the most.
SF643D only sold 900,000 units, which isn't good for a Nintendo game, most games in the series sold over 1,000,000 copies,

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think the sales of SF64 3D really had anything to do with the route they decided to go down with Zero. I pretty sure the reason for the reboot is to bring the series back to when it was most successful.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
SFZ looks okay, but I know that Miyamoto & Platinum can do better. Ideally it should have expanded on Assault's Battlefront-esque format, but I guess they thought a successor to Star Fox 64 was the only thing that was going to generate enough interest from people who've only been marginally attached to the series (perhaps only through Smash and "barrel roll" memes). I think Nintendo stuck the game with a very limited budget, and as they see it, they're just throwing a bone to the series' fans to keep them from getting too restless.

I'll still buy it and enjoy it, even though it's not going to live up to 64 or Assault.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
SF643D only sold 900,000 units, which isn't good for a Nintendo game, most games in the series sold over 1,000,000 copies,
You're doing it again... Miamoto said the success of 643D would determine the fate of the franchise. Clearly they're taking the then lower sales of the 3DS into account.

It's really no coincidence that they settled on the 64 like design.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Isn't Miyamoto just doing what the fans wanted? If you look on places like youtube, you'll see all kinds of people who were fans of Star Fox criticizing the direction Assualt, Adventures, and Command took the series and just wishing Nintendo would go back to using the same gameplay that made up Star Fox 64.

finalark

SNORLAX
Isn't Miyamoto just doing what the fans wanted? If you look on places like youtube, you'll see all kinds of people who were fans of Star Fox criticizing the direction Assualt, Adventures, and Command took the series and just wishing Nintendo would go back to using the same gameplay that made up Star Fox 64.
You have to remember that the GCN games have their fans too, and that a number of people were hoping for something more ambitious like Assault rather than the perceived rehash that Zero might end up being.

It's kind of a rock-and-a-hard-place sort of thing.

D

Deleted member

You have to remember that the GCN games have their fans too, and that a number of people were hoping for something more ambitious like Assault rather than the perceived rehash that Zero might end up being.

Yeah. I liked both gameplay styles (64 and Assault) so I'm fine either way.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Exactly, although there is a reasonable compromise, keep the story and characters from posr Assault, but keep the game play from SF64

finalark

SNORLAX
Can somebody remind me why we're not supposed to like Command? I never played the single player but the multiplayer was a blast once you came to grips with the controls.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can somebody remind me why we're not supposed to like Command? I never played the single player but the multiplayer was a blast once you came to grips with the controls.
Pooped on story.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It was all boring all-range mode missions outside of a few bosses. There were never any special objectives besides killing X amount of a particular enemy for the encounter you got in. There's no really depth or fun chasing down the same few squadrons a million times... Even in 64 I never liked the all-range mode only levels. Since Star Wolf was as dumb as a box of rocks they weren't terribly interesting either.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Biggest issue with command was the terrible controls.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Biggest issue with command was the terrible controls.
...Not really? You could still do most of the "normal" actions, like the flips and launching bombs with only some small accommodations. Really can't imagine things working out well using the D-pad to steer and the constant switching from map mode to combat. TBH the last thing I'd point out as flawed are the controls.

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
To the game looks interesting but I'm not so sure how it'll sell. Im worried that the constant delays will hurt its sales and thats the last thing i want for Nintendo. But in the end “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
To the game looks interesting but I'm not so sure how it'll sell. Im worried that the constant delays will hurt its sales and thats the last thing i want for Nintendo. But in the end “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”
Star Fox fans aren't going to lose interest in the game when the release is imminent, just because they had to wait a few months longer for it. Nintendo at least needs to get it out before the NX is revealed (likely at E3 2016), though, because THAT will definitely steal its thunder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom