• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you like or not like Star Fox Zero?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well what they want is irrelevant to making good games, Hideo Kojima frequently ignored fan opinion, and every game he developed was awesome and sold,
Nope. Look at Mario again... People hated the cheap gimmicks, the collectathon aspects, and the story and it got cut for Galaxy and everybody was happy with Nintendo swimming in money. Most Pokemon fans I see prefer the games to be the way they are rather then wanting something stupid like MMO aspects or travelling to every region.

MGS is a series I'm not familiar with, but if you look virtually every series ever has listened to the fans for the most part. Take Zelda Skyward Sword and how they cut over half of the intro because of the reaction to TP's, or Kingdom Hearts and how they've been trying to strike a balance on the platforming aspects. Even Sakurai has been doing a good job of listening to fans with Smash...

You say that as if you are speaking for everybody. Arguably, Smash has never morphed into anything else. It's just built onto itself. And that's what I'm getting at. There are groups who would like Fox never to leave his aircraft, and there are groups of people who wouldn't mind more combative missions.
Not once had I heard demand for a sequel to anything but 64 until SF0 was announced, and even then I've only heard it in this topic.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Not once had I heard demand for a sequel to anything but 64 until SF0 was announced, and even then I've only heard it in this topic.
Okay, but just because you haven't seen it in your experiences doesn't mean you can assume that nobody wants those things except for people in this topic. I've personally always enjoyed Assault the most of any Star Fox game since I played it back in...I don't know, probably around the time it came out. My experiences alone can't speak to what fans in general want either, but I don't think it's fair to generalize and say that all Star Fox fans only cared about 64 until just now.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Okay, but just because you haven't seen it in your experiences doesn't mean you can assume that nobody wants those things except for people in this topic. I've personally always enjoyed Assault the most of any Star Fox game since I played it back in...I don't know, probably around the time it came out. My experiences alone can't speak to what fans in general want either, but I don't think it's fair to generalize and say that all Star Fox fans only cared about 64 until just now.
That's what I was trying to tell him

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Considering SF fans are almost as whinny as Metroid fans it was a pretty safe assumption. As I was saying, typically when I would find somebody who liked Assault or Adventures they weren't SF fans but video game fans, and usually for the later they'll tell you that it made for a terrible SF game. Even back when the games originally came out I never heard anything positive about either.

I mean, there's people who want a sequel to OM. Like... They just have to accept that they're an extreme minority. The people who liked anything post 64 are even divided themselves since the games are so radically different. You can't even call post 64 a direction, but instead just a lot of random, disjointed ideas without expanding on anything just short of the plot. Those that want a 64 sequel very clearly outnumber those that want something different, and those people haven't come to any remote conclusion on what SF should be. Making a game for them would be like chasing a ghost.

This thread is absurdly heated from just 2 members. . . All i'm going to say is there is nothing wrong with wanting a traditional sequel and nothing wrong with wanting to branch out. Both are valid options with how few star fox games actually exist.

Personally, Assualt is my favorite Star fox. And to be honest, I don't think i've seen enough to really have a solid opinion. No multiplayer is laughable. But I can't wait for some good old fashioned star fox gameplay. Would I rather have an assualt sequel? yeah. But as long as this game is fun and Slippy and falco are flying with me I really don't care. From what i've seen, it probably WILL be fun. SO I guess to answer the title . . .Yeah I like Star fox zero.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
This thread is absurdly heated from just 2 members. . . All i'm going to say is there is nothing wrong with wanting a traditional sequel and nothing wrong with wanting to branch out. Both are valid options with how few star fox games actually exist.

Personally, Assualt is my favorite Star fox. And to be honest, I don't think i've seen enough to really have a solid opinion. No multiplayer is laughable. But I can't wait for some good old fashioned star fox gameplay. Would I rather have an assualt sequel? yeah. But as long as this game is fun and Slippy and falco are flying with me I really don't care. From what i've seen, it probably WILL be fun. SO I guess to answer the title . . .Yeah I like Star fox zero.
Okay I will admit the gameplay looks good, but the GamePad controls will probably be terrible, the game will be far too short, no online multiplayer is a major turn off for me too, and I dislike that the game is far too much like SF64, I mean in terms of dialouge and plot, Sorry but I probably will rent SFZ, and pay full price for Fallout 4, FO4 just has a higher value and more content, Fallout 4 is an example of how to improve on an established franchise without angering fans, as Fallout 4 has a few new features that the fans didn't request, but were acclaimed. Nintendo take notes, THAT'S HOW YOU MOVE A SERIES FORWARD WITHOUT ANGERING FANS, AND

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

I wouldn't be so outraged (for the lack of a better term) if we had not gone so long without a real, new SF game (the last one being Command, which is almost 9-10 years ago). I'll have to see more gameplay to see if they've made some changes here and there, over the highlights being the gamepad controls and that chicken looking thing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wouldn't be so outraged (for the lack of a better term) if we had not gone so long without a real, new SF game (the last one being Command, which is almost 9-10 years ago). I'll have to see more gameplay to see if they've made some changes here and there, over the highlights being the gamepad controls and that chicken looking thing.
Actually the Arwing can transform into other things besides the walker... I'm not talking about the Landmaster or the helicopter, but the Arwing itself can change into something else. Somebody at a press event took a video of it.

...Yeah, I didn't see the video myself because I thought we were going to of seen it by now. But it would appear that the transformations change depending on the stage you play.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Look, I'm no SF fan and I never even played a single game from the series but looking at this thread and I'm probably looking at this "dilemma" in a wrong way but... FOR ****'S SAKE, THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT YET!!!

"The game is going to be short" "The plot is going to be like SF64"
How can you tell? Did Nintendo gave you special treatment and gave you an early copy? Did you come from the future? Jesus Christ, you people are so quick to jump into conclusions. At this point, I'm wondering if you guys are just as whiny as those Metroid fans who are butthurt over Federation Force.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Look, I'm no SF fan and I never even played a single game from the series but looking at this thread and I'm probably looking at this "dilemma" in a wrong way but... FOR ****'S SAKE, THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT YET!!!

How can you tell? Did Nintendo gave you special treatment and gave you an early copy? Did you come from the future? Jesus Christ, you people are so quick to jump into conclusions. At this point, I'm wondering if you guys are just as whiny as those Metroid fans who are butthurt over Federation Force.
Miyamoto said the game was a "Reimaging" of SF64, and in the trailer had the same lines and bosses from SF64, Miyamoto said the game would be two hours long, Far too short for supposedly a AAA game that's SUPPOSED to be a major title,I am not saying the game should be as long as say Metal Gear Solid 4 or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, but TWO HOURS?!, That's about the length of an EShop title

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Get hyped for more Star Fox Zero news!

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

Two words. First impressions.

That, and the fact I've been starving for a new SF game since Command (sorry, but the 3DS remake didn't cut it). I drew the impressions from the trailer, as well as those who played the demo. Of course, the game was supposedly still in production then. Those who were around when SF 64 made its big splash in the late 90's, are the ones making the claims "The plot is going to be like SF64!" From the stages recycled from SF 64, and the voice clips recycled from SF 64 (even though Peppy sounds a bit like a southerner), using the clues to make an educated hypothesis, it doesn't hurt to say this is SF 64 rebirthed.

finalark

SNORLAX
Considering SF fans are almost as whinny as Metroid fans it was a pretty safe assumption.
Woah woah woah, slow down there mate. I had to jump into this pool of insanity to clarify something.

Before Other M came out, Metroid fans were one of the most well behaved and pleasant fanbases on the web. Even if there was a bit of a divide on if the Prime series was the right way to go or not it's detractors were still willing to respect it and continue enjoying their 2D games.

I will agree that the overreaction to Federation Force was ridiculous and I personally promote keeping an open mind about it. But hey, if your favorite series went dark for five years after ending on a low note only for the next game to be announced was an oddball spin-off that seemingly has nothing to do with the main series, you'd be pretty miffed too.

As I was saying, typically when I would find somebody who liked Assault or Adventures they weren't SF fans but video game fans, and usually for the later they'll tell you that it made for a terrible SF game. Even back when the games originally came out I never heard anything positive about either.
Okay, I can understand saying that people who like Adventures being general gaming fans rather than SF fans since it's so divorced from the rest of the series but Assault? That game is a pretty straightforward evolution of 64. Everything it does is an expansion of features originally found in 64. On-foot was in that game, albeit only in multiplayer and the missions where they drop you on a single map and then give you objects to finish within is like applying all-range mode to an entire stage.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Okay, I can understand saying that people who like Adventures being general gaming fans rather than SF fans since it's so divorced from the rest of the series but Assault? That game is a pretty straightforward evolution of 64. Everything it does is an expansion of features originally found in 64. On-foot was in that game, albeit only in multiplayer and the missions where they drop you on a single map and then give you objects to finish within is like applying all-range mode to an entire stage.
I believe you can still like Adventures and be a SF fan, not be categorized as a "general gaming fan."

What you pointed out is 99.99% of the criticism, some deserved and undeserved, of Adventures. That it divorced itself from what SF was. But remember what it was supposed to be, and most likely the train wreck Yamamuchi stepped in and prevented - Dinosaur Planet (from what I've read, that would have been a embarrassment for Rare).

And you're right about Assault. If there's any cue Nintendo should take in moving forward with SF, its Assault. Whether or not they actually act on it, is a different question altogether.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Woah woah woah, slow down there mate. I had to jump into this pool of insanity to clarify something.

Before Other M came out, Metroid fans were one of the most well behaved and pleasant fanbases on the web. Even if there was a bit of a divide on if the Prime series was the right way to go or not it's detractors were still willing to respective it an continue enjoying their 2D games.

I will agree that the overreaction to Federation Force was ridiculous and I personally promote keeping an open mind about it. But hey, if your favorite series went dark for five years after ending on a low note only for the next game to be an oddball spin-off that seemingly has nothing to do with the main series, you'd be pretty miffed too.

Then I don't think you ever really got to know the Metroid fanbase. For starters, people hated Fusion because it was 100% linear, so right on the fourth game everybody was bitter about how the franchise was treated. Then with Prime 1 people didn't like the fact it was a FPS, how the controls worked, and how they fixed sequence breaks between the regional releases. Next was Zero Mission, which got flack for the heavy hand-holding, the whole linear stealth segment, and how poorly implemented the "sequence breaks" were. The rest of the Prime series never really shook it's stigma from those who preferred the originals, and only added almost universally hated mechanics in the Dark World and Hypermode, while getting even more linear and then switching to Wii controls. People also weren't happy about how the 2D games were essentially shafted until... Well actually people were excited about OM because it looked like a good blend of the 2D and 3D games. Until it released it actually did settle the fanbase a bit. Of course we all know how that went. There's also the constant whinning about characters in Smash, when it's pretty dang obvious that there's really no suitable characters to pull from the series, and this is coming from a fan who's 100%ed every game sans OM.

It's hard to call it an evolution when the Arwing gameplay was weak and the grounded gameplay is at best a vanilla shooter, and in no way, shape or form was like anything introduced in 64. People usually liked the cinematic aspect of the game since it was something Nintendo hadn't really done before.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Every fanbase has its bad eggs. Sitting here trying to nail down the worst fanbase / clarify the worst parts of a fanbase is one of the most pointless exercises you could possibly attempt. Fanbases naturally get worse over long dry spells and/or with a disappointing entry in their series, or a number of entries in their series. The Sonic fanbase has been awful for ages because of different sides asking for completely different directions from the series because it's been such a mixed bag for the last ten years, the Zelda fanbase has that awful Zelda cycle deal, etc. You may personally have seen a lot of horrible things from the Metroid fanbase and I'm not shocked, because I'm sure they exist, but -- and maybe it's just because the Metroid fanbase has never had a huge presence in the communities I've been a part of, like on here -- I always saw Metroid fans being extremely tame up until the Federation Force announcement.

I'm not trying to draw this into a focus of the Metroid fanbase because that's not what this thread is about, but I've just seen way too many people trying to point to "the worst fanbases" and use one fanbase as a comparison for how whiny they think somebody's being in a particular case in recent history. For one thing it's pointless, because you can say "I think you're being irrational" without needing to compare it to a fanbase you think suffers from the same issues. For another thing it's just unnecessarily hostile because you're not only trying to insult the person you're talking to but you're then bringing in insults toward a completely unrelated group. Not to mention that thing people love to do where opinions of the few get conflated with the views of the whole, and individual dissatisfaction from 5 different people about 5 different games becomes "This fanbase wasn't happy with any of these games."

Trying to argue through generalizations is fighting a losing battle and you'd be much better off here just discussing your individual opinions on Star Fox Zero than trying to do that. There is way too much hostility in here over a game that isn't even released yet and that kind of mentality isn't helping.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
It's hard to call it an evolution when the Arwing gameplay was weak and the grounded gameplay is at best a vanilla shooter, and in no way, shape or form was like anything introduced in 64. People usually liked the cinematic aspect of the game since it was something Nintendo hadn't really done before.
Okay.

Saying that Assault isn't anything like SF64 because you don't like it is like saying that a caramel apple that uses a Fuji apple isn't similar to one using a Granny Smith. Sure, you might like one more than the other but at the end of the day they're still caramel apples.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Okay.

Saying that Assault isn't anything like SF64 because you don't like it is like saying that a caramel apple that uses a Fuji apple isn't similar to one using a Granny Smith. Sure, you might like one more than the other but at the end of the day they're still caramel apples.
Amen, by the way I believe Krystal would be a strong female lead with enough care given, Wanna see how I edited her backstory

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Okay.

You said Assault was an evolution of Starfox. Dumbing down the main aspect for another aspect that next to nobody cares about is moving backwards. I said that the grounded segments aren't anything like what 64 had besides Fox being on the ground with a gun, and that's only as an obscure unlockable in the oft-forgotten multiplayer mode.

Every fanbase has its bad eggs. Sitting here trying to nail down the worst fanbase / clarify the worst parts of a fanbase is one of the most pointless exercises you could possibly attempt. Fanbases naturally get worse over long dry spells and/or with a disappointing entry in their series, or a number of entries in their series. The Sonic fanbase has been awful for ages because of different sides asking for completely different directions from the series because it's been such a mixed bag for the last ten years, the Zelda fanbase has that awful Zelda cycle deal, etc. You may personally have seen a lot of horrible things from the Metroid fanbase and I'm not shocked, because I'm sure they exist, but -- and maybe it's just because the Metroid fanbase has never had a huge presence in the communities I've been a part of, like on here -- I always saw Metroid fans being extremely tame up until the Federation Force announcement.

I'm not trying to draw this into a focus of the Metroid fanbase because that's not what this thread is about, but I've just seen way too many people trying to point to "the worst fanbases" and use one fanbase as a comparison for how whiny they think somebody's being in a particular case in recent history. For one thing it's pointless, because you can say "I think you're being irrational" without needing to compare it to a fanbase you think suffers from the same issues. For another thing it's just unnecessarily hostile because you're not only trying to insult the person you're talking to but you're then bringing in insults toward a completely unrelated group. Not to mention that thing people love to do where opinions of the few get conflated with the views of the whole, and individual dissatisfaction from 5 different people about 5 different games becomes "This fanbase wasn't happy with any of these games."

Trying to argue through generalizations is fighting a losing battle and you'd be much better off here just discussing your individual opinions on Star Fox Zero than trying to do that. There is way too much hostility in here over a game that isn't even released yet and that kind of mentality isn't helping.
Talk about comically missing the point... The Metroid and Starfox fanbases have been anything but lax since the GC era. Claiming otherwise is just wrong. I'm not here to shame fanbases, I'm saying that the Starfox fanbase has been very clear about what they want from the series. The vast majority wanted a a 64 sequel. How can you say this isn't true when Starfox fans bombarded Platinum's Twitter when they said they were interested in making a SF game? The man who said that, his name I won't bother typing because I'd rather not make a fool of myself for trying, has been quite clear that he preferred the original and 64 and up until he threw a fit and said he decided against it (man's a real tsundere I swear) the SF fanbase had really cooled off for a time.

If you wanted something radically different from SF0, you should of said something during the past five years or so. Not right after Nintendo gives us what most of us asked for.

finalark

SNORLAX
You said Assault was an evolution of Starfox. Dumbing down the main aspect for another aspect that next to nobody cares about is moving backwards. I said that the grounded segments aren't anything like what 64 had besides Fox being on the ground with a gun, and that's only as an obscure unlockable in the oft-forgotten multiplayer mode.
CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD THE MYOPIA TRAIN.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
You know after reading this thread it appears to me that the only reason people dislike SF0 is because their favorite furry waifu isn't in the game.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You know after reading this thread it appears to me that the only reason people dislike SF0 is because their favorite furry waifu isn't in the game.
No I am disliking it because it's far too similar to SF64, the only "new" features are gimmicky gyro controls and a feature that was in the canceled Star Fox 2, I also dislike it because I feel like EAD took the easy way out

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Talk about comically missing the point... The Metroid and Starfox fanbases have been anything but lax since the GC era. Claiming otherwise is just wrong. I'm not here to shame fanbases, I'm saying that the Starfox fanbase has been very clear about what they want from the series. The vast majority wanted a a 64 sequel. How can you say this isn't true when Starfox fans bombarded Platinum's Twitter when they said they were interested in making a SF game? The man who said that, his name I won't bother typing because I'd rather not make a fool of myself for trying, has been quite clear that he preferred the original and 64 and up until he threw a fit and said he decided against it (man's a real tsundere I swear) the SF fanbase had really cooled off for a time.

If you wanted something radically different from SF0, you should of said something during the past five years or so. Not right after Nintendo gives us what most of us asked for.
Saying that I'm wrong to say "I haven't had the same experiences with these fanbases as you have and I think judging an entire fanbase off of one person's experience is faulty" is kind of weird, particularly since most of my point was based off of my own experiences which are kind of difficult for you to argue with me on.

Also, I didn't argue with you at all about what fans want from the series and I'm confused as to whether this is all actually supposed to be addressing me, or maybe you've just confused me with the others in the thread. I will freely admit that most of the Star Fox fanbase has overwhelmingly made it clear that 64 is the only game they care about and that the rest were disasters. I'm really unsure as to where you got that I was arguing against that point, other than my previous post that you didn't quote here where I noted that the idea that nobody has asked for anything but a 64 sequel until this topic is a faulty assumption because there are too many people playing these games to claim that the thought originated here.

I definitely do personally prefer Assault over any of the other games, but I've also not dropped any "Nintendo should be doing this" comments because I understand how businesses work and my word above thousands of others supporting 64 means nothing. And honestly I have neither the investment in the subject nor the energy to be arguing over what Star Fox game should've been given a sequel. The purpose of my last post was to say that generalizing fanbases as being awful is a great way to start flame wars and urging you to stay away from that.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
As I have said before,I think the gameplay should be similar to SF64, but keep the timeline from post 64 to post Assault (except Command), (although Adventures would require some changing), it's a win-win scenario, the SF64 fans technically get a proper sequel, and the fans of Assault and Adventures keep the characters introduced in both games

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
So you want the game play of SF64 with the post assault continuity, thanks for validating my previous point.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
So you want the game play of SF64 with the post assault continuity, thanks for validating my previous point.
It isn't just for Krystal either, (though I do like her) Panther adds something to the series too, I did enjoy SF64, but it's good to branch out and introduce new characters, 64 did that, Krystal doesn't deserve the hate she gets, there are very few legit reasons (not R34 or the inferior quality of the games)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The graphics look nicer.

Neat.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I don't even Like Krystal and I don't like the path they are taking with star fox Zero. I hate remasters, I find them to be lazy and after getting so many this gen I really don't want a another one. From what I seen Star Fox zero looks like Star Fox 64 with some stuff added into the game. Why would I want to experience the same story again and what's the point of Star fox 3D existing now.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Like it.

Almost love it, but the walker free roam mission footage brings back bad Starfox assault memories. Otherwise the game looks like it's on the right track. Just hope the gimicks are kept to a minimum, with all the odd choices they've done to the series in the past with the very little games we actually got, I like that they're playing it safe and going old school again. I think we deserve it.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I've never got the appeal for the character at all. She's just a damsel in distress in Adventures and from what I've heard about her roles in Assault & Command, they're really controversial.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The graphics look nicer.

Neat.
Well, most of that trailer was CGI. There was a little *Not actual gameplay thing right at the beginning of the trailer. What wasn't CGI looked about the same to me.

What really got me was the April release date. Was expecting March at the latest... I'm wondering what it was they decided to rehaul, because the trailer was basically just new old stuff and that seems like a lot of time to me.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I've never got the appeal for the character at all. She's just a damsel in distress in Adventures and from what I've heard about her roles in Assault & Command, they're really controversial.
Command never happened, by the way even after Dinosaur Planet was turned into Star Fox Adventures, Krystal was planned to be released earlier in the game as a sidekick for Fox , but was cut due to time constraints, (that was based on leftover files on the SFA disc, that weren't used)

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Command never happened, by the way even after Dinosaur Planet was turned into Star Fox Adventures, Krystal was planned to be released earlier in the game as a sidekick for Fox , but was cut due to time constraints, (that was based on leftover files on the SFA disc, that weren't used)
So they basically turned her into a Peach in the end.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You can't say that anything cut was cut for time outside of developer confirmation. Who's to say they didn't just decide to make her a damsel because they wanted to?

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm not gonna lie, ten years later the only thing that really sticks out in my memory about Adventures was Tricky being annoying as **** and that the tutorial was the best part of the game.

Oh yeah, and this guy:

YOU PAY THIS MUCH!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll be honest that SFZ trailer during the Direct did nothing in making me want the game more.

Top Bottom