• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you like or not like Star Fox Zero?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe Nintendo should do a game where the game takes place between the events of Adventures and Assault. And do a mixture of on-foot and airborne missions as I stated before. And actually play as Fox, not the chicken-looking thing.

Nintendo really needs to have a "Suggestion Box" of sorts.
Club Nintendo was that. And we will have that once the new program starts up.

And you people need to understand that they listen to their fans more than you realize.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Personally, I'm pretty excited for another entry to the series. Franchises like F-Zero are practically on life support so it's nice to see the Big N focus on one of their other fan favorites. The thing that got me hooked on this game was the re-introduction of SF2 elements that were scrapped to make way for the N64.

Even though I would have liked the SF team to fight on foot at some point in the series, I think the skies is where the franchise shines the best.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

And you people need to understand that they listen to their fans more than you realize.
Hmm, maybe my idealism gets in the way sometimes.

And I hadn't heard of Club Nintendo doing that, but I wasn't ever a member of Club Nintendo (or a subscriber to Nintendo Power during its concurrent run).

I know people are excited mainly because the recycled game that would have been SF2 will finally have its elements be in the spotlight, but I don't necessarily associate myself with Star Fox during its early-mid 90's days before Star Fox's launch in 1997 (which was more like late 90's anyway).. But I continue to be optimistic.

Maybe Nintendo needs to make their "Suggestion Box" more well-known, like the Smash Ballot. If they have such a thing, I'd love to see it. No ideas should be unsolicited, and each should at least be looked at. Who knows? That idea might be a cash cow. When Smash first came out in 1999, I didn't think anymore of it than just another fighting game for the N64. I never thought it would grow and morph into the behemoth it is now.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe Nintendo needs to make their "Suggestion Box" more well-known, like the Smash Ballot. If they have such a thing, I'd love to see it.
It's not like it wasn't there in every game case as a little slip of colorful paper for years since the Game Cube was a thing.

It was pretty darn well known. Games like Punch Out!! even referenced it (and it's predecessor the Nintendo Fun Club).

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149

If Nintendo were to actually listen to us, we'd be getting Metroid 5 instead of Federation Force. We'd be getting another F-Zero, but all we get is an excuse stating that they need another controller.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Nintendo were to actually listen to us, we'd be getting Metroid 5 instead of Federation Force. We'd be getting another F-Zero, but all we get is an excuse stating that they need another controller.
Except it was confirmed that we are getting Metroid Prime 4 and Federation Force is a set up to it.

And no F-Zero is ridiculous I agree but one slip up doesn't negate the other times where they have listened.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Except it was confirmed that we are getting Metroid Prime 4 and Federation Force is a set up to it.

And no F-Zero is ridiculous I agree but one slip up doesn't negate the other times where they have listened.
Well I think the real reason why we aren't getting a new F-Zero is because the games don't sell well
What about the whole focus on "innovation", A lot of the fanbase are content with a traditional controller and a console will comparable specs to other consoles, the whole reason for innovation is for the idiot casuals who have long moved on to the next flavor-of-the-month mobile game, and have the attention span of a mosquito

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I think the real reason why we aren't getting a new F-Zero is because the games don't sell well
What about the whole focus on "innovation", A lot of the fanbase are content with a traditional controller and a console will comparable specs to other consoles, the whole reason for innovation is for the idiot casuals who have long moved on to the next flavor-of-the-month mobile game, and have the attention span of a mosquito
Don't call casuals "idiots."

You're hurting your point and you're coming off as an asshole.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Don't call casuals "idiots."

You're hurting your point and you're coming off as an *******.
Maybe I am, but I am saying those people are not a good reliable source of income, by going after them, Nintendo abandoned and alienated a lot of the fans they had during from the NES to the Gamecube, sorry but it's true, I was refering to the mobile gamers, the candy crush saga, and Angry Birds crowd, the people who could care less about console games and would rather waste more money in the long term for a few extra minutes of playtime, even though by buying a console and games or by paying for a paid mobile game. Freemium ganes like Candy Crush Saga are nothing more than extortion rackets, and those mindless sheeps are falling into the trap. We console gamers aren't THAT stupid. I mean mobile games aren't terrible. But for me, they for me they are nothing more than a quick time waster, for when you can't bring a 3DS or PSP and need to play a game to waste time

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe I am, but I am saying those people are not a good reliable source of income, by going after them, Nintendo abandoned and alienated a lot of the fans they had during from the NES to the Gamecube, sorry but it's true, I was refering to the mobile gamers, the candy crush saga, and Angry Birds crowd
That.... doesn't excuse that at all.

Especially since those people buy consoles too. Currently they have the PS4.

NES and SNES were popular because they were the era's mobile games. Same for the Wii and DS.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That.... doesn't excuse that at all.

Especially since those people buy consoles too. Currently they have the PS4.

NES and SNES were popular because they were the era's mobile games. Same for the Wii and DS.
Mainly I was refering to the Hipsters who play games like Candy Crush Saga and willingly waste $1000 mindlessly for a few more minutes of playtime, say what you want about EA, they aren't THAT greedy

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mainly I was refering to the Hipsters who play games like Candy Crush Saga and willingly waste $1000 mindlessly for a few more minutes of playtime, say what you want about EA, they aren't THAT greedy
Calling them hipsters now?

If Candy Crush is popular they can't be hipsters.

This is coming off as insulting them mindlessly.

They're a big part of the market. Grow up and start insulting people who aren't doing anything wrong.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Calling them hipsters now?

If Candy Crush is popular they can't be hipsters.

This is coming off as insulting them mindlessly.

They're a big part of the market. Grow up and start insulting people who aren't doing anything wrong.
They are doing something wrong, they are allowing themselves to be exploited by King with their unfair paywall timers, There are some mobile games I like, Fallout:Shelter, Sonic: Dash, and Wrestling Revolution, games that don't have paywall timers or anything exploitative,

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They are doing something wrong, they are allowing themselves to be exploited by King with their unfair paywall timers, There are some mobile games I like, Fallout:Shelter, Sonic: Dash, and Wrestling Revolution, games that don't have paywall timers or anything exploitative,
Okay, it's their money to spend though? If they're having fun it doesn't really matter, and it certainly doesn't mean they're deserving of insults because of it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And they both have the choice and right to do so.

We may think it's stupid, but insisting that they are wrong for doing what they enjoy when it isn't hurting anyone and calling them idiots says more about you than them.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Okay, it's their money to spend though? If they're having fun it doesn't really matter, and it certainly doesn't mean they're deserving of insults because of it.
Well true, but that doesn"doesn't mean that companies have to pander to them, What I call fun is playing games like Metal Gear Solid 3 or Skyrim,
I dislike that they are also blissfully naive to the fact that the majority of the games they like are blatant rip-offs of other games, Now I am not saying a game can't be inspired by another game, but not ripping the games off

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well true, but that doesn"doesn't mean that companies have to pander to them, What I call fun is playing games like Metal Gear Solid 3 or Skyrim,
I dislike that they are also blissfully naive to the fact that the majority of the games they like are blatant rip-offs of other games, Now I am not saying a game can't be inspired by another game, but not ripping the games off
Such as?

And if that's where most of the money is, than yes, pandering to them is a good idea. We hardcore gamers are more niche than you think. Gotta catch casual gamers to start a generation while the hardcore gamers will keep it alive. We need each other.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Such as?

And if that's where most of the money is, than yes, pandering to them is a good idea. We hardcore gamers are more niche than you think. Gotta catch casual gamers to start a generation while the hardcore gamers will keep it alive. We need each other.
Sadly you are right
Well for starters Candy Crush Saga is an obivous rip-off of Bejewled, Bubble Witch Saga is just Bubble Burst, Angry Birds is just Castle Crash, Game of War and Clash of Clans are just generic RTS games, and all of the Temple Run clones.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I will agree, for the most part, that games like Candy Crush and Angry Birds, were mainly or are games that are aimed for mainly killing time, more like apps for entertainment than actual video games in themselves.

Nintendo was fairly innovative with the Wii, and the Wii Fit (how fitness centers were using that as part of weight loss programs nationally), but it seems console-gamers aren't fully sold on the whole wireless gaming thing. It was a fad that didn't stay as much as it came and went. Sony and Microsoft have proven gamers rather sit on their asses than actually get up and be more physical, which was one of the Wii's selling points.

Probably would be good to go a little old school on this one.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
You have to remember that Nintendo's marketing philosophy is to create games that gamers and your grandma can enjoy. That's why Wii Fit outsold SSBB and Mario Kart Wii: more people found interest in purchasing a system that would [supposedly] benefit their physical activity.

As much as the Nintendo fanbase would like to blame "the casuals" for the movement away from hardcore games, they have allowed popular series to continue to remain successful due to their accessibility. It's not like Nintendo completely ignores the gamers with this direction since many games have a challenge/higher difficulty mode for more hardcore players. Regardless of Star Fox Zero's linear and gradual difficulty, I'm looking forward to the reboot.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You have to remember that Nintendo's marketing philosophy is to create games that gamers and your grandma can enjoy. That's why Wii Fit outsold SSBB and Mario Kart Wii: more people found interest in purchasing a system that would [supposedly] benefit their physical activity.

As much as the Nintendo fanbase would like to blame "the casuals" for the movement away from hardcore games, they have allowed popular series to continue to remain successful due to their accessibility. It's not like Nintendo completely ignores the gamers with this direction since many games have a challenge/higher difficulty mode for more hardcore players. Regardless of Star Fox Zero's linear and gradual difficulty, I'm looking forward to the reboot.
True but that same philosphy failed with Wii U, and after 2010 people stopped buying the Wii, Nintendo needs to reassess it's philosophies

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
True but that same philosphy failed with Wii U, and after 2010 people stopped buying the Wii, Nintendo needs to reassess it's philosophies
Agreed, moving forward through the rest of this decade and into the next, Nintendo needs to reconstruct itself. The arrival of the NX, or whatever the hell the console comes out named as, should be treated as a open window, an opportunity for Nintendo to better adapt to the environment they're in over how they've operated for the last 25 years. Maybe they can keep part of that philosophy, but add revisions here and there.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Agreed, moving forward through the rest of this decade and into the next, Nintendo needs to reconstruct itself. The arrival of the NX, or whatever the hell the console comes out named as, should be treated as a open window, an opportunity for Nintendo to better adapt to the environment they're in over how they've operated for the last 25 years. Maybe they can keep part of that philosophy, but add revisions here and there.
Like focusing on both families and the hardcore gamers, by making family oriented titles like Wii Fit and the NSMB games, and making more adult oriented titles like Eternal Darkness 2 or Metroid

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do have this neat little idea.

Star Wolf hasn't really been shown off.

What if it's because they have a new line up with Krystal? That'd be cool.

finalark

SNORLAX
True but Krystal would be 10 during the events of Star Fox 64, way too young for combat, unless in the Zero timeline Krystal is older
It's a reboot. If they really want to they could make Krystal a three thousand year old space dragon that shoots lasers out of her bellybutton who works for Star Wolf.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Maybe she'll join up with Kat and form the Pretty Girl Squad.

Last edited:
It's a reboot. If they really want to they could make Krystal a three thousand year old space dragon that shoots lasers out of her bellybutton who works for Star Wolf.
Or she could be thrown away entirely. Forever. And ever.

A man can dream.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Or she could be thrown away entirely. Forever. And ever.

A man can dream.
Krystal opened up opportunities for Star Fox. What do you want to do? Put in a bunch of female cadets or colleagues who are hitting on Fox?

I guess a female antagonist might work.

Krystal opened up opportunities for Star Fox. What do you want to do? Put in a bunch of female cadets or colleagues who are hitting on Fox?

I guess a female antagonist might work.
I want a character whose design isn't DeviantArt OC levels of bad.

also i want miyu and fay please miyamoto

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I want a character whose design isn't DeviantArt OC levels of bad.

also i want miyu and fay please miyamoto
Why is Krystal a bad character?, Yes her character development was poor, but that's true for all characters in the Star Fox series, She was never intended to be a damsel in distress anyhow, she was supposed to be a sidekick for Fox in SFA but that was cut due to time constraints from Rare's upcoming Microsoft buyout, you probably just hate her because she wasn't in SF64

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Why is Krystal a bad character?, Yes her character development was poor, but that's true for all characters in the Star Fox series, She was never intended to be a damsel in distress anyhow, she was supposed to be a sidekick for Fox in SFA but that was cut due to time constraints from Rare's upcoming Microsoft buyout, you probably just hate her because she wasn't in SF64
I wouldn't say all the characters in Star Fox received poor character development though.. When did Microsoft announce they were buying Rare out, because that games production goes as far back as 1999.

No, I hate her because of her design. Notice how I half-jokingly begged for Miyu and Fay's inclusion in Star Fox Zero, despite them being Star Fox 2 characters that ultimately never saw the light of day. Believe it or not, I enjoy things that aren't Star Fox 64. Panther's okay!

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
No, I hate her because of her design. Notice how I half-jokingly begged for Miyu and Fay's inclusion in Star Fox Zero, despite them being Star Fox 2 characters that ultimately never saw the light of day. Believe it or not, I enjoy things that aren't Star Fox 64. Panther's okay!
What's wrong with her design, R34 is a non factor so eliminate that

What's wrong with her design, R34 is a non factor so eliminate that
If the existence of R34 influenced my opinion on a character, I'd hate just about any character in anything ever.

To put it simply, she just doesn't fit. It's painfully obvious that she was designed with a completely different game/universe in mind. Much like Adventures doesn't really gel with Star Fox from a gameplay perspective, Krystal doesn't gel with the Star Fox aesthetic. Though I guess the Star Fox aesthetic kind of got shattered to a million tiny pieces post-64, once Fox donned the dumb bubble coat vest.

Top Bottom