• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you like or not like Star Fox Zero?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ation-with-shigeru-miyamoto-and-his-team.aspx
This article single handedly ruined my hype of the game. Not only does the game have no online mode and bad graphics, but will only be 2 hours long and will be more linear than SF64.

Nintendo must really want the star fox franchise to die. After fans have been waiting NINE YEARS for a new star fox game, this is what we get?
This is what the most vocal part of the fanbase asked for. A return to something familiar. Let's see if they enjoy it.

finalark

SNORLAX
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ation-with-shigeru-miyamoto-and-his-team.aspx
This article single handedly ruined my hype of the game. Not only does the game have no online mode and bad graphics, but will only be 2 hours long and will be more linear than SF64.

Nintendo must really want the star fox franchise to die. After fans have been waiting NINE YEARS for a new star fox game, this is what we get?
Your summary of that article was a bit misleading.

When discussing online he said that he was open to the idea, and that it's something they might implement later down the road. In terms of linearity, he said that levels with have branching paths but you will always complete the same level in the same order. That being said, linear does not equal bad.

Now, when he discusses the game's length I'm a bit worried. The wording is intentionally ambiguous but it sounds like the focus of the game will be its replay value.

And then he proceeds to shoot himself in the foot.

The game will have one set difficultly level that cannot be adjusted. A game focused on replay value is practically begging for unlockable harder difficulties so the player has an ever increasing challenge that raises with their skill level. It really sounds like a huge missed opportunity.

Also, no bombs and the thing that excites Miyamoto is that newbies can figure out the game's basic aiming and shooting controls. All of this in the name of bringing the genre "back to its roots."

Yeah, I'm not feeling really positive about what I just read. I'm going to keep my "wait and see" mindset, though. Every member of the press who has played the game usually has nothing but good things to say about it, despite the iffy news we keep getting.

D

Deleted member

As someone who loves Star Fox 64, I think it's looking to be great. Can't wait to play it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The game's graphics look much better at PAX.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Neither. I LOVE Star Fox. Can't wait for Star Fox Zero. Been a fan of the series since it arrived on SNES and I played many many hours of Starfox 64. It's game that holds a lot of fond memories for me.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Even though that article I posted earlier made me extremely worried for this game's future, I'll still be optimistic about the game's quality, at least until the inevitable Nintendo direct / extended trailer for this game.

Something I like about this game is how many things its bringing back from Star Fox 2. I'm very happy that the walker is making an appearance in this game, as it was an extremely fun vehicle to use due to its very fluid controls and the levels utilizing it were decently designed in that game. However, something I noticed is that several enemy's present in this game, such as those spider bots and roller bots present in corneria and sector alpha respectively, were present in Star Fox 2. Other hazards, such as the Ship which you could enter in sector alpha, as well as the laser beams that move left to right, were also taken from Star Fox 2, which is very nice touch.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
News flash: A very high percentage of the fanbase didn't want everything after SF64 retconned, most were content with a game that only played LIKE Star Fox 64, but had the story from Assault, sorry but I feel like Zero regresses the series, I honestly think that EAD should have little to no involvement in the next Star Fox title, and Miyamoto should only be in an advisory role. Personally if there is a Star Fox NX: Only two studios should be considered, Retro and Platinum (Platinum has no creative input and they are only helping EAD with the game design

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
While I am excite for the game myself, I am dissapoint they they're doing a prequel or re-imagining or whatever rather than continuing forward.

I mean, Star Fox is a mercenary group, who can take jobs from whoever to do things across the galaxy. That premise is soo open and vast and the possibilities are high, and the team itself is entertaining enough that you want to see them in all kinds of situations. Having it result in just "Let's beat Andross again" just feels like a waste to me.

But most importantly, I hope they don't retcon Krystal out of existence, I quite liked Peppy in the navigator role.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
While I am excite for the game myself, I am dissapoint they they're doing a prequel or re-imagining or whatever rather than continuing forward.

I mean, Star Fox is a mercenary group, who can take jobs from whoever to do things across the galaxy. That premise is soo open and vast and the possibilities are high, and the team itself is entertaining enough that you want to see them in all kinds of situations. Having it result in just "Let's beat Andross again" just feels like a waste to me.

But most importantly, I hope they don't retcon Krystal out of existence, I quite liked Peppy in the navigator role.
Maybe come up with a new enemy who is relative to Andross, like a cousin or niece who aspired to be like their Uncle Andross except poses much more of a threat to the entire Lylat System, taking the lessons learned from Andross' defeat plus their own twist on things. Or put a twist on the series and reveal James McCloud didn't really die after all, rather he had gone in seclusion and wasn't seen from the public eye.

Speaking for me with all due respect to Nintendo, I think I have ideas that would benefit the franchise better in terms of variety and better treatment than Nintendo has in the last 10 years.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Or, leave Andross alone and focus on other villains?
Like, the Lylat System has to have more threats than just Andross.

In fact, they don't need to even have a threat, why not just pit Star Fox against rival mercenary groups as they bump heads when completing jobs?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Or, leave Andross alone and focus on other villains?
Like, the Lylat System has to have more threats than just Andross.

In fact, they don't need to even have a threat, why not just pit Star Fox against rival mercenary groups as they bump heads when completing jobs?
Isn't that kinda what Star Wolf is?

Focus on possibly making Wolf and his colleagues the antagonists, maybe? Maybe employ almost a Super Mario Galaxy type of model where Fox has on-foot missions, completing certain objectives whether that includes mountain-climbing, underwater caves, etc sort of like what we saw in SMG and its sequel, while keeping a fair balance on Arwing-bound missions.
Yes, its a distance away from Star Fox 64, but it can easily become stagnant very quickly and poorly represent the franchise if you keep doing the same thing over and over.

Super Mario has shown they can keep things fresh while maintaining the same plot (Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser). If Star Fox can follow SM's lead (most notably SMS) by offering a change in atmosphere, similar to what Adventures did, I have a feeling it will do much better since I think we've served up enough for the SF 64 purists.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Not just Star Wolf

Why not incorporate Kat, Bill and their groups? And also any other groups that may exist out there, along with a solo mercs here and there.

Not that I'm saying we need a new cast every game, I'm just pointing out that in this franchise's case, it has the potential to have different antagonists for Star Fox other than Andross.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I actually think reusing the same story from Star Fox 64 was a good choice. Focusing on story would be a terrible idea since most plots Nintendo attempts to make end up being very awful. Nintendo should be focusing on making their games play well and feel enjoyable. Reusing the story of Star Fox 64 would allow Nintendo to focus more on the character's dialogue as well, which is more important than the storyline in a game like star fox.

Last edited:

Evil Burrito

Smash Cadet
Graphics don't look that impressive, gameplay looks alright, but the thing that makes no sense at all is that there is NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.... IT'S 2015 AND NO ONLINE. MIYAMOTO WHY DO YOU DO THIS

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
I personally liked Star Fox Zero as it was a new Star Fox game that mostly used the old school gameplay since Star Fox Assault. I also really liked the inclusion of some elements from Star Fox 2 such as the Arwing walker and the coins as seen in the E3 trailer. My gripe with the game is like what most people have, no online multiplayer. Other than that, the game is a must get for me later this year.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I personally liked Star Fox Zero as it was a new Star Fox game that mostly used the old school gameplay since Star Fox Assault. I also really liked the inclusion of some elements from Star Fox 2 such as the Arwing walker and the coins as seen in the E3 trailer. My gripe with the game is like what most people have, no online multiplayer. Other than that, the game is a must get for me later this year.
I have three gripes with the game, 1. It looks like a rehash of SF64, 2. Only two hours 3. No online multiplayer

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I have three gripes with the game, 1. It looks like a rehash of SF64, 2. Only two hours 3. No online multiplayer
I think the walker sections will be enough to differentiate the game from Star Fox 64 (especially since you can switch between walker and arwing any time during land missions).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think the walker sections will be enough to differentiate the game from Star Fox 64 (especially since you can switch between walker and arwing any time during land missions).
I was also refering to the same Andross plot, and the SF64 cast, It seems like Nintendo and Miyamoto are either afraid to introduce new story ideas or are too lazy

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I was also refering to the same Andross plot, and the SF64 cast, It seems like Nintendo and Miyamoto are either afraid to introduce new story ideas or are too lazy
I see. Personally, I'm fine with them reusing the plot of SF64 considering the plots of other Star Fox games have mostly been mediocre / terrible. I have faith in Miyamoto to change up some aspects of the storyline to make the game feel somewhat fresh / new, especially since star fox 64 3d was released only a couple of years ago.

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
If hopefully Nintendo could increase the number of planets in a route and give us either a new difficulty route, letting you play as characters by going through certain routes, or like I said the collectable coins, then I believe as long as you get something that is worth going through, then you could likely extend your time by around one or two hours.
Don't forget they also had the coins you could find as seen in the E3 trailer in which Star Fox 64 didn't have. Star Fox 64 had the score medals.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I see. Personally, I'm fine with them reusing the plot of SF64 considering the plots of other Star Fox games have mostly been mediocre / terrible. I have faith in Miyamoto to change up some aspects of the storyline to make the game feel somewhat fresh / new, especially since star fox 64 3d was released only a couple of years ago.
I just dislike the idea, plot recycling really screams creative immaturity

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
Considering the fact that some games had plots that make you think you're watching a Saturday morning cartoon, I don't find it a surprise that Nintendo uses the same plots over and over again. While Nintendo games can have good plots like Xenoblade Chronicles, I think Nintendo uses the same plots because they probably don't want to make gamers uncomfortable and question them, but rather have a little spin to the same formula, like in Mario 3d World, where the sprixies get captured instead of Peach or in Super Mario world where you save the Yoshis from the castles.

I just dislike the idea, plot recycling really screams creative immaturity
They probably know that nobody's scrambling for some new thread in the rich tapestry that is the Star Fox canon. Even if they did throw together some brand new story, it wouldn't change much. Star Fox's main selling point is the gameplay anyway.

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
They probably know that nobody's scrambling for some new thread in the rich tapestry that is the Star Fox canon. Even if they did throw together some brand new story, it wouldn't change much. Star Fox's main selling point is the gameplay anyway.
Basically most Nintendo games aren't really like Zelda or Metroid where they're known for story telling. People wouldn't really expect Mario to be like an anime where you basically need to watch from the beginning to get what's going on, otherwise if a Nintendo franchise were to have a story/lore, it would likely end up like FNAF.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
True, but putting some effort into a new story is better than recycling one

True, but putting some effort into a new story is better than recycling one
I agree. Having a new story would be better, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it at the end of the day. If I have to fight Andross again, so be it. As long as the buildup to his horrifying face is good enough, I'm down for it.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I agree. Having a new story would be better, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it at the end of the day. If I have to fight Andross again, so be it. As long as the buildup to his horrifying face is good enough, I'm down for it.
Yes the game goes look good, I will admit that. Can I tell you my ideas for Star Fox spin-offs

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Basically most Nintendo games aren't really like Zelda or Metroid where they're known for story telling. People wouldn't really expect Mario to be like an anime where you basically need to watch from the beginning to get what's going on, otherwise if a Nintendo franchise were to have a story/lore, it would likely end up like FNAF.
I never considered FNAF to have a storyline, rather just a heavily simplified plot. Mario has a storyline of sorts, more so than FNAF. Its rescuing Peach from being kidnapped, its simplistic but its still following a storyline. Games that don't truly have a storyline are games like The Sims.

Super Mario Sunshine differed storyline-wise, as it wasn't as much of the matter of Peach being kidnapped rather, it was the town of Isle Defino thinking Mario was a criminal of sorts for defacing the Shine Sprite. Same thing with Star Fox Adventures. So jut about every game, unless its something merely meant for killing time, has a storyline. Its part of what you could say, breathes life into the game.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I never considered FNAF to have a storyline, rather just a heavily simplified plot. Mario has a storyline of sorts, more so than FNAF. Its rescuing Peach from being kidnapped, its simplistic but its still following a storyline. Games that don't truly have a storyline are games like The Sims.

Super Mario Sunshine differed storyline-wise, as it wasn't as much of the matter of Peach being kidnapped rather, it was the town of Isle Defino thinking Mario was a criminal of sorts for defacing the Shine Sprite. Same thing with Star Fox Adventures. So jut about every game, unless its something merely meant for killing time, has a storyline. Its part of what you could say, breathes life into the game.
Wow that is profound

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Wow that is profound
Thank you, glad you think so.

A good storyline, like a good beverage, can be the driving factor behind whether or not I eventually end up getting that game. Its part of what make mission based games in particular so valuable.

Btw, I wouldn't mind taking a look at your spin-off ideas. I was hoping that, before SF Zero came out, quite possibly something would be done with Fox's son, Marcus or as I said in an earlier post, reveal that James is alive after all but has been hiding out of the public eye.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Thank you, glad you think so.

A good storyline, like a good beverage, can be the driving factor behind whether or not I eventually end up getting that game. Its part of what make mission based games in particular so valuable.

Btw, I wouldn't mind taking a look at your spin-off ideas. I was hoping that, before SF Zero came out, quite possibly something would be done with Fox's son, Marcus or as I said in an earlier post, reveal that James is alive after all but has been hiding out of the public eye.
Or explain Krystal's backstory

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Or explain Krystal's backstory
Now that would be interesting.

If I were to do a spin-off of something it would probably be a sitcom based off the series, but a much better developed one (how Nintendo-based shows, with the exception of Pokemon, have generally fallen flat on their faces). Except have the series focus mainly on day-to-day basis in metro Corneria. A Simpsons like show in terms of context, with Fox as a bachelor and Krystal taking the custody of Marcus, having Wolf as a fiancee.

I dunno about you, but all that setup at the start of Sunshine breathed more boredom into me than it did life into the game.

"Mario-lookin'-guy is a jerk, everyone thinks it's Mario" is hardly any more complex than "Bowser kidnaps Peach, gotta save her". The setup doesn't really add anything to the game, aside from some basic justification for the gameplay, which is what Mario's classic Peach-saving plot does anyway. Why do you make this arduous journey to defeat Bowser? To save Peach. Why do you run around playing janitor for some blabbering blob people? To prove your innocence and save Peach. Also to get cool shades.

If you ask me, they shoulda focused on breathing fun into that game. But that's besides the point. :nifty:

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149

To be fair, the developer of FNAF wanted his fans to think of the story themselves, thus bringing weird and rather time-wasting theories. I agree that Mario has a storyline especially the RPG games, same with Star Fox Adventures and the series in general.

Mew N' Sunset Shimmer

Smash Rookie
All honesty, a reboot plot wise was more than necessary, especially after Command IMO. But why should I care about that when the gameplay matters most? :p

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
All honesty, a reboot plot wise was more than necessary, especially after Command IMO. But why should I care about that when the gameplay matters most? :p
They rebooted the plot once before with Star Fox 64. What was gonna happen was that Star Fox 2 was supposed to take place after the first Star Fox, but do to cancellation, Nintendo rebooted the storyline.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Maybe Nintendo should do a game where the game takes place between the events of Adventures and Assault. And do a mixture of on-foot and airborne missions as I stated before. And actually play as Fox, not the chicken-looking thing.

Nintendo really needs to have a "Suggestion Box" of sorts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom