• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did anyone enjoy the SSE?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Remember how hyped up a lot of us got over the SSE? (Anyone remember how excited we got when we thought we saw Ridley in the clouds? LMAO) Once I started playing it, I was all "Ok this is pretty cool." Then it got boring and repetitive after the first hour. The only thing that I actually like about the SSE was Boss Battle mode, cause that gave me a pretty good challenge to beat on the hardest difficulty. (Insane I think it is?)

Overall, the next SSB should ditch the story mode and focus more on the online aspect of the game, cause the way Brawl's online system works in comparison to the 360's and PS3's is laughable.

Is there anyone who thinks it should make a return into the next SSB?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brawl's online was only held back because Nintendo's pretty much a generation behind when it comes to their online. If that's the case, the next Nintendo console online should be closer to something like XBox Live.

Anyways, I enjoyed the SSE for what it was but it felt lacking overall, like they could have done a whole bunch more with it but they simply ran out of time. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great; I'd personally rate it a C.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I loved playing SSE. But I think co-op is the only thing that made it fun. Thats what I did.
People didn't like it rushed through it and tried to unlock everything as fast as possible.

Starscream

Smash Ace
It was kay, hopefully they'll make the levels and enemies more franchise themed next time around and not make us do the whole thing again like that stupid great maze.

If not for the extremely nerfed jumping I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I enjoyed SSE quite a bit. My older sister and I slaved for hours through the Great Maze till 5 in the morning just to lose our last stocks to a random Feyesh.

Thanks, Sakurai, seriously.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I actually didn't have a problem with it. It's WAY longer than other fighting game we-gave-your-characters-a-story-mode-kinda-sorta-hope-you-like-it game modes. I didn't mind doing the great maze over again because I kind of enjoyed mapping everything out and getting to review/remember the levels again. I did play it through with my brother in co-op though, so I'm sure that added a good bit of fun to it.

Regardless, it didn't seem to drag out or become redundant to me.

Disclaimer: IMHO

Champio30

Smash Cadet
SSE was Nintendo's Best Idea in years.
When I first heard of it, I was like "WTh? It's probably as boring as Pokemon Storyboard"
When I saw it, my eyes and jaws dropped down.
Played SSE for around 8 hours straight, couldn't get my eyes off of it.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
The time put into the SSE would of been better put on making more characters.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
So I guess what most of you are saying is that a story mode should return, but with some improvements to it, and that it was, overall, a decently enjoyable experience.

Am I the only one who would rather have that time spent on online or anything that has to do with the actual reasons that we play SSB in the first place?

I respect all of your opinions people, but I'd take a better online mode/more characters > SSE any day.

kr3wman

Smash Master
So I guess what most of you are saying is that a story mode should return, but with some improvements to it, and that it was, overall, a decently enjoyable experience.

Am I the only one who would rather have that time spent on online or anything that has to do with the actual reasons that we play SSB in the first place?

I respect all of your opinions people, but I'd take a better online mode/more characters > SSE any day.
of course, but you didn't ask us to ****ing compare the modes, you asked us if SSE was a decent experience and that it should come back. Of course it won't come back, but hey.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
of course, but you didn't ask us to ****ing compare the modes, you asked us if SSE was a decent experience and that it should come back. Of course it won't come back, but hey.
According to your earlier post you said that it was an enjoyable experience, which led me to think that you wanted it to come back, which means less time to focus on the core focus of SSB.

a-maz-ing

Smash Journeyman

IMO i want both. SSE was fun but just needs these fixes:
1)less repetitive
2)NO GREAT MAZE
3) better story, the ending was abrupt
4)master hand, and maybe even crazy hand should be fightable
5)i liked the bosses but can we have a smaller fast one instead of a generic big really strong one?
6) flesh out the story
7) more enemies from the franchises
8) return of Giga Bowser and Tabu, explanation of where the polygons and their successors come from.

I support a fixed SSE cuz if they dont do it first then it will end up low quality. Also by now Nintendo can make a better online, that was their real first one.

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who liked it? o.o
Nope. :)

I loved it, honestly. The gameplay wasn't bad for what it was. I 100%'d it and went back and beat every level on insane. No co-op. Didn't get old or repetitive to me. But the best part about it...BY FAR, was the cutscenes. Great invasion cough cough. :p

But, yes, there could have been more enemies/bosses/locations from the actual games represented in Smash.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
The key to enjoying SSE is abusing stickers and turning everyone into juggernauts.

It also helps to play with a friend.

However, I will say that the lack of variety when it came to enemies (Only a few mario enemies and the rest were new ones? No fair.) was a real let-down.

I was expecting stuff like Knuckle Joe to come out of nowhere, or Bonkers, or hell some Metroid pirates. :\

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The key to enjoying SSE is abusing stickers and turning everyone into juggernauts.

It also helps to play with a friend.

However, I will say that the lack of variety when it came to enemies (Only a few mario enemies and the rest were new ones? No fair.) was a real let-down.

I was expecting stuff like Knuckle Joe to come out of nowhere, or Bonkers, or hell some Metroid pirates. :\
I agree with you about more stuff like Bonkers, Metroid pirates, etc. If they had more enemy variety that actually had something to do with Nintendo (instead of all these made up enemies) then I would have enjoyed it more.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Well it was alright, it seemed rushed, it was a great idea/concept but it wasn't implied good.

~StarDust~

Smash Apprentice
I loved the SSE, it gave you a chance to experience new players and i just like killing the enemies in it. to easy

Supersmasher10310

Smash Cadet
I liked, I mean it was ok. It seemed sorta rushed, kind like the latest Sonic the Hedgehog games. I want it back. One way to improve it is to put more emphasis on the story. Not just a random get together of Characters.

Valour

Smash Rookie
I enjoyed the Subspace Emissary, although after playing the game for awhile it just becomes a chore so you can unlock all the characters. In my opinion, the cutscenes were the best part of the Emissary.

Pi

Smash Hero
More level 9 computer fighting please

I would have liked it a lot more without all the side scrolling idiot monster bashing nonsense fillers

Puffs

Smash Ace
More level 9 computer fighting please

I would have liked it a lot more without all the side scrolling idiot monster bashing nonsense fillers
couldn't you just play Classic/All Star?

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
I really liked it......, at first. The only thing that made the SSE lose me was The Great Maze. It was so annoying, I just stop playing as soon as i'm up to it when I play it over. Other than that, It was great, just would have been better if it was like that for me from start to end.

Ange

Smash Lord
Why the hate on SSE? ;_;

I actually found it fun to play thru, specially liked the cutscenes. It was mostly them I waited for after I had finished a level, but they were so grrrrrrrrrrreat.
I liked SSE. The only thing that was and still is a complete pain in the *** is The Great Maze. I seriously got hella confused inside there, but I got used to it after awhile however.

Going back and trophify enemies can be exciting too as getting new trophies always feels great, but yeah. I liked/like SSE, it's pretty fun if you're bored. Althought if you have 100% complete it may not be as fun anymore, but yeah. Until you have 100% that is lol.

Zylar

Smash Ace
It was the first thing I did with Brawl. I didn't do ANYTHING else.
It rocked. Cutscenes were funny and epic. Levels didn't seem repetative to me, except obviously the Great Maze, but even that was awesome. It was almost like a world. Almost.

Top Bottom