• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
i've never owned a dedicated mp3 player. My cellphone has a music player on it, and I use that. They really don't make cellphones that don't have that option anymore, at least I don't think they do.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I have a 32GB microSD in my phone on which I rotate my music.

but yeah, Dark House is only 11, wouldn't be surprised if he never heard of non-ipod mp3's.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Majora's an entirely different game in my opinion. If you're gonna consider timeframe when looking at graphics, Majora's only 1 year later than OoT soooo that's not that biggadeal.

Edit: about MM being so high up. It was great in terms of story, themes, design, pacing, wow-moments, etc etc. It was just great.
Okay, stop your fawning. You are so incredibly biased.

about MM being so high up. It was great in terms of..... pacing
You are so full of ****. The game forces restarting days multiple times. Unless you have a lot of game knowledge from the start of the game, you're restarting to complete multiple quest lines, repeating the same events, watching the same cut scenes.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
the kind of stuff that MM makes you repeat doesn't take very long if you know what you're doing. The only thing you're actually required to repeat is the Anju/Kafei questline, which is the most interesting questline in the game. If you're starting dungeons over because you didn't finish it in the 3 days, it's because you're terrible. You have more than enough time to do every dungeon within, like, one day.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
It is fair. You hold two pieces to the same criteria. How is that unfair?
I'mma step in for once and call you out on being a dumbass here. Anything now is going to have a higher standard of quality than it did back then. Something from 2013 is going to look a hell of a lot better than something from 1999 unless it's intentionally going for that "retro" look to fabricate nostalgia. You're not wrong when trying to look at them objectively but you look stupid for even trying to make that a fair comparison in the first place.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
the kind of stuff that MM makes you repeat doesn't take very long if you know what you're doing. The only thing you're actually required to repeat is the Anju/Kafei questline, which is the most interesting questline in the game. If you're starting dungeons over because you didn't finish it in the 3 days, it's because you're terrible. You have more than enough time to do every dungeon within, like, one day.
He's basing his point on the fact that it takes game knowledge to repeat that stuff in time. For some people, that's easy. For others, not so much. Let's see you get to and beat that water dungeon in a day, especially on a first playthrough with no prior knowledge. For me, that mechanic turned me off from Majora's Mask for a long time.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
well, you don't actually have to do it in a day though. You have 3 days. Even if you're stuck for a long time, you have plenty of time. And if you do manage to waste all 3 days, it doesn't actually take you very long to get back to where you were in the dungeon now that you've done it once before and know what to do. The really neat thing about those dungeons is that once you get about halfway in, you get the Bow/Fire/Ice/Light Arrows, which allows you to skip pretty much everything before it. Even if you do manage to use up all 3 days, it takes practically no time at all to get back.

Seriously though, Reverse Song of Time is your friend. You really do have tons of time to finish the dungeons. I can do all the stuff in each area that grants you access to the dungeon, and still have enough time to finish the dungeon, and get in some side quests along the way, all in one 3day phase. I even leave in the middle of the dungeons to go do stuff that requires you to do stuff every day, like the Deku game, or Honey and Darling's game center, etc.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Seriously though, Reverse Song of Time is your friend. You really do have tons of time to finish the dungeons. I can do all the stuff in each area that grants you access to the dungeon, and still have enough time to finish the dungeon, and get in some side quests along the way, all in one 3day phase. I even leave in the middle of the dungeons to go do stuff that requires you to do stuff every day, like the Deku game, or Honey and Darling's game center, etc.
Thisthisthis

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I really and truly believe 99% of people who argue "the 3 day time limit thing is bull****!" do not know about Reverse Song of Time.

The very first time me and my brother played, we didn't know about it, and we finished the first dungeon just under the wire. Then we found out about Reverse Song of Time and the time limit became a complete non issue for the rest of the game.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I only played 'Oracle of Ages' and I enjoyed the game. I never played the second part to the game unfortunately.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I've never tried to do a "beat the game in 3 days" run in MM, but it's possible. If you do everything right, you can actually finish the whole game without ever starting over the 3 days. Once you get the ocarina, and start over that first time, you can beat the game without starting over again. I should try that one of these days. You have to really know what you're doing to do it, and you have to skip around a lot. The biggest hurdle is getting into Romani Ranch before D1 ends, so you can get Epona. Otherwise you'll never get into the 3rd or 4th dungeon. In fact, you gotta get Epona, and use her to get into the graveyard so you can open the first gravestone N1 as well. First 24hrs are rough, but it gets a lot less restrictive after that.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I loved Oracle of Ages and Seasons. I can't wait for it to come out on the VC for 3DS. I was almost about to write a letter to Nintendo wanting those two games on the VC but I was too late xD

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I played the **** out of Oracle of Ages when I was a kid. Fun game, highly underrated. I was always upset cause I kept getting the freaking bear instead of the Kangaroo or the Dragon/Dodongo thing. I thought the bear was boring.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
well, you don't actually have to do it in a day though. You have 3 days. Even if you're stuck for a long time, you have plenty of time. And if you do manage to waste all 3 days, it doesn't actually take you very long to get back to where you were in the dungeon now that you've done it once before and know what to do. The really neat thing about those dungeons is that once you get about halfway in, you get the Bow/Fire/Ice/Light Arrows, which allows you to skip pretty much everything before it. Even if you do manage to use up all 3 days, it takes practically no time at all to get back.

I'm aware of the Reverse Song of Time. When I (finally) played it, I made good use of it. It makes the game really manageable. I was referencing before I played it and knew it was manageable and had a feel for the day/night cycle. I also think Drew is trying to reference players who aren't as learned at video games as we are. I know damn well most of my other friends here would give up on it fairly quickly because of that.

EDIT: I don't wanna come off saying you're wrong. In the experience of it, you are right and I believe it is possible to speedrun it. What I'm simply trying to reference is that the time limit does act as a barrier for it.

FWIW:
WW>MM=OoT>TP (haven't played SS yet, not sure if I want to)

2D:
LttP>Seasons/Ages=Link's Awakening>Four Swords Bull****>Phantom Hourglass

Haven't played Spirit Tracks, the originals, or Minish

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
People not being learned in video games shouldn't be considered when you're trying to rate which game is better. That's like saying picasso is a terrible artist because people who don't know anything about art don't get his work.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I played the **** out of Oracle of Ages when I was a kid. Fun game, highly underrated. I was always upset cause I kept getting the freaking bear instead of the Kangaroo or the Dragon/Dodongo thing. I thought the bear was boring.
Lol oh MOOSH. I think the Dodongo or w/e creature it was that could swim's name was Ricky. Maybe. Or maybe that was the Kangaroo's. But yeah Moosh was the least cool of the three, because you had to FLOAT over pits with a BIG FAT BLUE BEAR WITH LIL WHITE WINGS lmao

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
People not being learned in video games shouldn't be considered when you're trying to rate which game is better. That's like saying picasso is a terrible artist because people who don't know anything about art don't get his work.
It definitely should be considered.

Also, your second sentence doesn't count as an argument. "That's like saying Picasso is a great artist because you understand his work." It goes both ways.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
it doesn't go both ways though. Like I said before, art is subjective. I can only rate how much I like something based on how much I like it. There's no reason for me to factor other people's opinions into my own.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
My point was you could be the only one who think it's good while everyone thinks else it's bad so you can't knock other people for thinking something is bad when generally everyone else thinks it's good.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
No one has said/done that though. Regardless, since video games are way more interactive, difficulty plays a large part in how people perceive a game. If you're going to argue over the subjectivity of what makes a better game, you need to take it into account.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
but thinking a game is difficult simply because you have no idea what you're doing due to not being good at games in general... is kinda dumb. Like, the only justification I'm seeing for MM being "hard" is that some people won't know about the reverse song of time. That's like saying Super Mario is "hard" because some people won't know about the run button.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'mma step in for once and call you out on being a ******* here. Anything now is going to have a higher standard of quality than it did back then. Something from 2013 is going to look a hell of a lot better than something from 1999 unless it's intentionally going for that "retro" look to fabricate nostalgia. You're not wrong when trying to look at them objectively but you look stupid for even trying to make that a fair comparison in the first place.
Hurpadurp then we're on the same page. A fair comparison is stupid, that's why you can't say that OoT is better just like that.

also, anyone ever thought of the 3day time limit as improving the game's pacing? Iunno. It's been designed around, n stuff.

This discussion made me finally pick up Seasons again and finish it this time. First dungeon completed. No guide run. Let's do dis. (DAYUM DAYUM DAYUMMMM)

Orboknown

Smash Hero
#day limit forces you to keep pushing rather then explore every nook and cranny of every town and dungeon. Faster game play, more of an edge and a rush to get things done imo.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
picasso's was a bad artist because he cut off his ear.

/one can only hope this is me being sarcastic

I know it was actually van gogh

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
The only reason I love MM as much as I do is because of the time "limit". Exploring that game again and again and learning about every single facet of life in that 3-day time period and trying to beat the clock was exhilarating the first time around, and also makes the gameplay very modular. But if you approach the concept from the outside-in, thinking "this is a game" rather than "this is a world", you're naturally going to have a bad time, because you're going against the grain.

Let's positive thinking~

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah sure, if you're not 100%ing the game and you have already played through it multiple times and you know where all the **** is. It's an exploration game. You can't accuse someone new to the game of being terrible for actually exploring.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The ****? That has everything to do with it. It's the reason a LOT of old games haven't aged well. I still love the **** out of Final Fantasy, Star Tropics 1 & 2, Castlevania, and more ancient games. I know what to do, so I can do it and I can enjoy it, but the average man doesn't have the patience to play a game when it isn't intuitive to those without game knowledge.

Top Bottom