• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Source on that smiling thing?
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/advising/am.../nonverbal_communication/reading_exercise.htm

Section J, Facial Expressiveness.

I first heard of it in management training seminars and the like to prevent cultural misconceptions. Hispanics generally prefer physical contact while people from the USA find it incredibly uncomfortable. Certain asian cultures can smile when embarrassed. Some find any "downtime" to be automatic freetime and it the manager's fault that they don't have work, others will create more work for themselves by doing things ineffeciently so they don't have downtime, etc., etc.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You've just got try to separate his in-game persona from his supposed "cute" real life image. Otherwise you end up being confused and merge both entities into one:

In game-Gheb + real-life Gheb as one organism:

"I'm not maf you f***er!! I'm just some misunderstood kid in an Angry Birds costume!!!"
Oh, goodness, I enjoyed that.

It's called modesty, which - based on my experience at Apex - is a rather foreign concept in america. Not that the people aren't cool or nice or anything. They just aren't modest, which is something I surely am.

:059:
Your experience at Apex probably isn't a great one for judging how America as a whole feels about modesty. It's a tournament. Modesty is going to be a rarer thing to see when dealing with people you're supposed to be competing against. It's possible that American competitive scenes (whether they be related to gaming or sports or what have you) have a higher tendency to breed out modesty than those of other countries, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of modest people in America. It just means they're less likely to be the kinds of people who show up at Smash tournaments.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I used to read ghebs words in my own accent... But now I read it in his accent and I just... Uguu~ I find it easy to say 'How can I ever get mad at gheb now?'

:phone:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We should do soundcloud recordings of everyone so we know how to read their voices.

I nominate Circus to pick out posts for people to read.

Maybe add it to their interviews.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/advising/am.../nonverbal_communication/reading_exercise.htm

Section J, Facial Expressiveness.

I first heard of it in management training seminars and the like to prevent cultural misconceptions. Hispanics generally prefer physical contact while people from the USA find it incredibly uncomfortable. Certain asian cultures can smile when embarrassed. Some find any "downtime" to be automatic freetime and it the manager's fault that they don't have work, others will create more work for themselves by doing things ineffeciently so they don't have downtime, etc., etc.
Wooow. There's a big difference between "a smile is frequently used to cover emotional pain or embarrassment" and "many asian countries actually have smiling as a form of shame".

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Wooow. There's a big difference between "a smile is frequently used to cover emotional pain or embarrassment" and "many asian countries actually have smiling as a form of shame".
Wanting to hide embarrassment is a feeling of shame. When you're using a smile to cover that shame, the smile is in effect a form of admitting shame.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Wanting to hide embarrassment is a feeling of shame. When you're using a smile to cover that shame, the smile is in effect a form of admitting shame.
Smiling is not the form it takes, smiling is how they hide it. If they'd smile to show embarrassment it'd be a different thing.

>:D

Smash Rookie

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
We should do soundcloud recordings of everyone so we know how to read their voices.

I nominate Circus to pick out posts for people to read.

Maybe add it to their interviews.
You realize I would just search for the longest walls I can find. Everyone would read a novel.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Its harder for me to find the escape code than the gold file code #vlrproblems

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
There are a few rooms like that actually xD. It's pretty bad lol.

These Winnie the Poo pictures are scary after you've just woken up D:.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
#vlrprobs references VLR aka 999:2

Winnie the Pooh pics reference WtP's HR Derby.

Top Bottom