• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I have no idea what you're implying but I agree regardless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57vCBMqnC1Y

All your knowledge of philosophy, literature, art, and history makes you a more cultured individual.

But by itself the knowledge is useless for survival in modern times.

In America, people who major in one of the above topics are, at best, considered destined to work at MacDonalds. At worst, too stupid for a "real" major.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
So pretty much philosophy students over here.

It's what people study when they don't know what to go to college for. Also lots of ladies. Can't go that wrong.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

All your knowledge of philosophy, literature, art, and history makes you a more cultured individual.

In America, people who major in one of the above topics are, at best, considered destined to work at MacDonalds. At worst, too stupid for a "real" major.
I majored in English literature. :B

I lose more in taxes then many of my friends see on their paychecks!

The trick to having knowledge and a broad background is aggressively pursuing experience and nurturing your skillset, at least in America.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Life science majors are doing pretty bad nowadays in terms of finding work as a scientist. Laboratory technician jobs are highly selective, have high turnovers, and don't compensate well to students coming straight out with student loans.

Entry level lab positions require extremely specific skill sets in many experimental techniques that you can only get if you work in the lab of the "right" research professor and companies are more likely to drop an applicant for missing a skill, rather than deciding to take the time investment to train them on how to perform it.

Scientific staffing agencies exacerbate the problem in the long run by appealing to the bottom line of corporations and only hire people to fill out short-term contracts (3-4 months). In such an environment, technicians are looking for new employment right after they find employment.

Companies are not looking for students to staff their labs, but for skilled pipette machines that will run a full array of lab tests in a short amount of time. With the end of the pharmaceutical golden age, the boom market for lab positions no longer exists and many places are downsizing, R&D especially.

Companies can no longer make promises to workers that they will support them for the long-term. I read somewhere on monster.com that up until the 1990s the median workers would stay with a given company was 20-25 years, by 1996 that statistic was drastically reduced to 6-7 years and even now it is surprising if we stay more than a year in a given profession. Businesses no longer feel that they have duty or obligation to look after their workers and likewise, workers are expected to ultimately invest in themselves.

It is ironic that so much of money is reliant on confidence where it be trust being placed in our markets, or in the value of the dollar, or in someone making a hiring decision to let you in and expecting you to do a good job and not mess up. However, despite this, the model we currently have has primarily become about the bottom line, insurance coverage, and covering your own back when something goes horribly bad.

I don't know how I feel about a workplace that focuses entirely on added value to the extent that values are thrown out the window. But any workplace that evolves into a micro-environment of liars, back-stabbers, career gunners, and sycophants seems more like a manic institution than an efficient workplace.

#HBC | Dancer

The trick to having knowledge and a broad background is aggressively pursuing experience and nurturing your skillset, at least in America.
Curious as to what your job is.

Swiss

Smash Lord

What's your job?

I graduated with a Degree in Economics from a good University and ended working in Recruitment (read: sales) I earn 50% to 80% more than than most of my friends.

I have great respect for people that strive to learn and that think. Anybody that is able to apply logic and reason to a given situation, regardless of their degree, will be able to secure a good job and successful career. In my opinion people are limited only by what they believe can limit them. Important to note however that knowledge does not necessarily equate to intelligence.

Reminds me of the quote: Conscience is, in most men, an anticipation of the opinions of others.

Swiss

Smash Lord
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

I do however agree there are a great many people that undertake these degrees and vastly overestimate their self worth.

#HBC | Dancer

"In my opinion people are limited only by what they believe can limit them."

Wait, this sounds motivational. Is that really you, Swiss?

. . .

Well, anyways.

It's true that it's possible, as long as you are smart about it, to be successful without a "good" degree. However, I don't think you can really argue that some majors are just better than others. Lower unemployment rates, higher paychecks, and and a lot less physical labor (if you consider that a plus, which it really probably is).

Also, ignoring literature/history/art majors, I just never understood why someone would even WANT a degree in philosophy. I understand someone finding philosophy interesting, and perhaps wanting to put their own philosophy out there, but why do you need a degree for that (not a rhetorical question)?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Link: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/lgl/3533167181.html

ARE YOU RECENTLY ADMITTED TO THE BAR, OR AWAITING BAR RESULTS, BUT NEED EXPERIENCE FOR THAT FIRST JOB?

General practice attorney with more than twenty years of experience is willing to train a small number of recently admitted attorneys, or those awaiting bar results. For a monthly fee, you will be able to shadow the experienced attorney, and learn by watching the day to day practice of law. Observe the following types of proceedings, as they occur; Civil Short Calender motion arguments, foreclosure mediation's, pre-trial conferences, Workers Compensation and Social Security hearings, real estate closings, discovery proceedings and compliance, research and general office operations. Once admitted to the bar, the goal is to have you handling matters with and eventually without supervision. We reserve the right to limit participation in any or all activities, and all appearances are subject to the client and presiding judges approval. Admitted attorneys will be paid referral fees, if your referred case settles.

Please submit resumes by responding to this ad.

• Compensation: Negotiable
  • This is a part-time job.
  • This is a contract job.
  • OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID:3533167181

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Curious as to what your job is.
ATA. Academic Technology Analyst. I help make online classes work. I introduce new technologies that help them become efficient and help them organize for an online environment, etc., etc.

You didn't see the rest of the quote. "It's just that I'm the only one with no limitations."

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
On my way to apex.

Number is 215 251 2190 if you need to reach me/meet me.

:phone:

Swiss

Smash Lord

OS has a good ending to the quote.

I prefer:

"In my opinion people are limited only by what they believe can limit them. But most people are utterly obtuse and should just do what Swiss says." ~ Voltaire

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I can also make hydras, and I don't need people to make emails for me.

Astrophysics major what's uuuuup

Handorin

Smash Hero
I just realized forum games is a sub forum of us. I feel even more sick now. I think.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I can't find a link to the game, and yes I googled it. Maybe if I had a dutchie IP it wouldn't link me to the cover artist's deviant art page :|

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Raz beat Fuwa from Japan though iirc. There were loser brackets but our pool was really tough. Me and Raz got beat by Fyre a pit main then I had to face DLA and Ryker got Fuwa round 1. Raz lost to this diddy/mk named jpiscrazy. Biz kit/Anti/Fuwa/Fyre and just ow pool haha.

Top Bottom