• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
(btw anyone want to play some skype mafia except not on skype, but rather on swf. In otherwords some quick faced paced games?
Ryker never ran the marathon :(. Get it. Ran?
)

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
It's all in MSPaint. I just prnt screen the page we're on, copy the color for it, then fill it in manually.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
J, it's a schemer who put you where you are. You were a schemer. You had plans. Look where it got you. I just did what I do best-I took your plan and turned it on itself. Look what I have done to this forum with a few brief insults and a couple of trolls. Nobody panics when the expected people get banned. Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plans are horrifying. If I tell the mods that tomorrow a noob will get owned, or a truckload of weaboos will get shunned, nobody panics. But when I say one little old Vet will die, everyone loses their minds! Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I am an agent of chaos. And you know the thing about chaos, J? It's fair.
I have the Mac-daddiest boner right now.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Even though the Mario franchise did make those shifts, those shifts were primarily changes in game play. EE if I'm not mistaken is pressing the point that the newer RE games changed the tonality of the series in comparison to the older games that made it transition from a horror/slasher genre to a run-and-gun action play format. Not sure if the comparisons being made are completely analogous.
Which is a shift for which he blamed primarily on the game play due to the fact you no longer felt somewhat helpless. But yes, you've found the hook and I would explain why they are analogous if it were not 3:30am.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
I like the old Resident Evil games.
Undecided if i want to give the new one a chance

Definitely getting the new pokemon games though.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Yep we do.

Well to be accurate , I am a forum mod, he is a mod in both the game and the forum.

Irony is the part of the forum i mod had sorta died off significantly (to the point where only me and Orbo were posting in it)
and has only recently kicked back up in activity , right when school starts and i get less active lol

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Ehem.

I AM ABOUT TO ANSWER THIS BY PUTTING THE GAMES NAME IN SPOILER TAGS
/inb4 i get infracted anyway

Which would be hilarious because I am currently debating about whether sites should let users mention other sites and to what extent (i.e when is it casual, when is it adverts / does it matter / etc. (But this is for MMO's moreso than it applies to smashboards.)

Monster MMorpg (it's kinda like pokemon)

I handle specifically the debate section of it but also do general stuff like ban advertisers / warn users / maintain order on pages/ brainstorm ideas for the site / etc.
There's also a mod above me who handles the debate section as a S-Mod so i guess i'm like his back-up / helper

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
@adum: Well although I disagree with the assertion that a survival horror game needs to also satisfy as an action game, you still seem to get what I dig about horror and what's good about it in general, so you should recommend me some games or somethin'.
You misunderstand or I was unclear, what I'm saying is that it's almost impossible to satisfy as an action game and as a survival horror game because the power to fight through every encounter generally destroys the impression of being at the mercy of things beyond your control which is necessary for a good horror game.

The only one which managed to pull both off was eternal darkness because of the spoiler tagged section in my last post.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
You misunderstand or I was unclear, what I'm saying is that it's almost impossible to satisfy as an action game and as a survival horror game because the power to fight through every encounter generally destroys the impression of being at the mercy of things beyond your control which is necessary for a good horror game.

The only one which managed to pull both off was eternal darkness because of the spoiler tagged section in my last post.
You're forgetting L4D1&2.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I am inclined to disagree;

because

IMO in a game like Resi 4, you would often find yourself unable to fight through a given encounter on your first attempt, due to not understanding what to do, etc.

While you had the ability to power through every encounter, you were unlikely to do so without dying several times in the process, and having to try again. While of course the horror is reduced with repeated attempts at a boss/task/section, the same is true of watching a scary movie over and over.

On the other hand, the best (or most scary) bit in that game has got to be, IMO,
the section as Ashley in the dark with the suits of armour,
when arguably you are powerless to do anything.

so yeah I like talking about videogames

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I am inclined to disagree;

because

IMO in a game like Resi 4, you would often find yourself unable to fight through a given encounter on your first attempt, due to not understanding what to do, etc.

While you had the ability to power through every encounter, you were unlikely to do so without dying several times in the process, and having to try again. While of course the horror is reduced with repeated attempts at a boss/task/section, the same is true of watching a scary movie over and over.

On the other hand, the best (or most scary) bit in that game has got to be, IMO,
the section as Ashley in the dark with the suits of armour,
when arguably you are powerless to do anything.

so yeah I like talking about videogames
Then you could say any reasonably difficult game is scary.

RE4 gives you way too much power both in the mechanical sense and the thematic sense to be even remotely scary.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I'm not saying a game is scary because it's difficult :urg:

I'm saying that I don't think RE4 gives you too much power for it to be scary

It's not scary because it's difficult- it's scary because XYZ is going to kill you horribly and you're probably not going to be able to stop them.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
L4D/2 are such fun games with friends.

Dead Island was amazing. <3
Left 4 Dead... I need to add that to my list of games to play.

:secretkpop:

Damn, I'm behind on my games. This generation has more or less passed me by... i'd say the last 5 years or so...

Played:
Resi 4
GTA IV
Bayonetta
Bulletstorm
Portal 2
Mario Sunshine
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
Far Cry 2

Need to play:
Skyrim
Skyward Sword
LA Noire
MGS 4
Left 4 Dead

What am I missing?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm not saying a game is scary because it's difficult :urg:

I'm saying that I don't think RE4 gives you too much power for it to be scary

It's not scary because it's difficult- it's scary because XYZ is going to kill you horribly and you're probably not going to be able to stop them.
Honestly, everything the game went through was campy action tropes, the only thing that was remotely horror was that it featured "zombies".

All games feature the possibility of you dying horribly, and if you can't assess the situation well enough, you won't be able to stop it with them either.

That's an incredibly low level of fear as engagement and is insufficient to call it a horror game.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Alabama v. Michigan game was disappointing seeing how ESPN was building it up and it was the only college ball game that I had been somewhat "prepped" on. More surprising though was the Tomic v. Andy match in which Tomic threw the game on the last set by hitting it like he suddenly was impersonating a wounded T-rex and didn't have wrists to pronate any of his shots. Sad. So much sad.

Top Bottom