• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Also also, my desire to punch genitals is a well-documented all in good fun joke with literally nothing remotely serious behind it, but I find a curiosity in lines like this

The challenger gets the right to first attack, but if he takes it, he better damn well be sure I'm not still standing afterwards.
because although purportedly also meant to be in good humor, they have no real joke to them, and thus can only read to me as thinly veiled but sincere internet tough guy machismo. There is irony somewhere in this situation but I cbf to think on it because I'm all full of Five Guys'

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Also also, my desire to punch genitals is a well-documented all in good fun joke with literally nothing remotely serious behind it, but I find a curiosity in lines like this

because although purportedly also meant to be in good humor, they have no real joke to them, and thus can only read to me as thinly veiled but sincere internet tough guy machismo. There is irony somewhere in this situation but I cbf to think on it because I'm all full of Five Guys'
Internet? I'm still waiting for a time/place. Nobody challenges descriptive linguistics without a fight.

But you seem to be backing out, I am disappointed.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
christ almighty that seems like overkill.
Especially when the only football related thing to the scandal was that it was football coaches involved :/

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Never saw, what's it about?

Also, V/LA for this entire week. Final essay/exam are due on Thursday, so no mafia for me during that period of time.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Most people would probably say yes.
IIRC, his writing makes use of much shorter sentences where you have to figure out the connotation and such for yourself.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Okay, this is just me, but I hate Hemingway's writing style and abhorred The Old Man and the Sea.

For some people, he is great. I just loathe having to read him when I have to for my studies.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I've been taking great interest in Hemingway for a few months now.

Is his stuff worth reading?
What you've heard about his short sentences is true. For example, take this paragraph:

"Outside it was getting dark. The streetlight came on outside the window. The two men at the counter read the menu. From the other end of the counter Nick Adams watched them. He had been talking to George when they came in."

-The Killers

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I love reading. It's just that I hate looking for books by author. I wish they would be organized by title instead.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Also I love reading but I damn well have yet to get into it. I need more series but I tend to prefer classic literature that's not producing itself for money.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
watched batman finally, didn't like it as much as i thought i would though

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
"titles > authors"

...why?

Unless you mean for ease of finding it, I guess, but if I have to find a book I always know who wrote it. As far as actually finding new books to read it's all about authors > books. With organization by authors you can expect all the books within a certain area of a shelf to be of a similar quality, whereas organizing by title is going to have pulp like Crichton's Timeline right next to literature like Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises and that's WRONG.

(yes I know Sun Also Rises would likely be arranged by S and not T but my brain is foggy and thus I couldn't think of a better example)

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Well I guess not organizing by titles but more so I don't like the hate that comes from an author more than the story they wrote which is why I prefer titles>authors because some books I love but I can't remember some authors names. Though then there are a few like John Grisham and Neil Gaiman who I can read for a while.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I would prefer organization by title as well, but still have things split up by Genre.

I don't look around on bookshelves for books by certain authors. I look for books with interesting titles.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I find organization by author far more useful when searching for new material to read, by title makes it easier to find books with very limited information, yes. That said, I rarely find myself looking for a specific book and more likely to look for something new by authors I already like.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Okay, this is just me, but I hate Hemingway's writing style and abhorred The Old Man and the Sea.

For some people, he is great. I just loathe having to read him when I have to for my studies.
This X 1000

I also hate his extremely longwinded attempts at using subtle military undertones

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
"titles > authors"

...why?

Unless you mean for ease of finding it, I guess, but if I have to find a book I always know who wrote it. As far as actually finding new books to read it's all about authors > books. With organization by authors you can expect all the books within a certain area of a shelf to be of a similar quality, whereas organizing by title is going to have pulp like Crichton's Timeline right next to literature like Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises and that's WRONG.

(yes I know Sun Also Rises would likely be arranged by S and not T but my brain is foggy and thus I couldn't think of a better example)
Because

Title

Author

I'm breaking my neck here man.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Ae-Dumb-Row-Dee-Us

Always how I pronouced it and it's why I call him adumb. Really don't mean it as an offensive thing. It's just the nickname my mind has associated with his name lol.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Ae-Dumb-Row-Dee-Us

Always how I pronouced it and it's why I call him adumb. Really don't mean it as an offensive thing. It's just the nickname my mind has associated with his name lol.

This is why I asked, I always thought it was "aye dum bro de us" and I always felt the pronunciation was off since...adumbrodeus doesn't seem like the type to refer to himself as a dumb bro. Z_Z

Mine's pretty simple; "Bar-dull." Some smashers (LeePuff/Teba/Boa) thought my name was like..."Bar-duel." Lol.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
The original pronunciation was Raz-e-ek, but I don't particularly care and accept more or less anything at this point.

9/10 times I just get called Raz or Razzy anyway.

Craziest one I had was Ray-shick. Turned the Zie into sh.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I've had people pronounce it Bissell, like the vacuum. I guess it's cause I suck.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
This is now Lit thread

Humourous titles are cool, but I seem to remember some old adage about judging books by their covers...

Authors are where it's at. Top three with favourite books, go?

Fred Vargas (Sous les vents de Neptune)
China Mieville (The City & The City)
John Barth (Giles Goat-Boy)

This is now Lit thread.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
my name is too long winded for people to bother.

People either call me Rake , Anoman, The Rake or in One case Rakey (by the GF).

Pronounced :

Ano-Man-Dare-ISS(hold the S) Rake

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Honestly, proper pronounciation is pretty much "pretend you have an italian accent when you say it".

But I answer to most of the mispronunciations, and there are many lol

July

Smash Apprentice
Remember the Penn State Scandal? Well, they've started dishing out penalites.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/s...million-fine-and-bowl-ban.html?pagewanted=all

60 Million fine, no postseason for 4 years, and all of their victories from '98 to '11 have been erased.

Holy hell.
christ almighty that seems like overkill.
Especially when the only football related thing to the scandal was that it was football coaches involved :/
I live really close to Penn State and I think the punishments are well-deserved. I've heard a lot of people from my area saying "Joe Paterno made one mistake, it's not fair!", but that one mistake allowed for boys to be molested for 13 years after the abuse was first reported. The punishment from the NCAA obviously effects the students, but it's aimed at the administration and fixing the problem of the "football culture" which has dominated Penn State for so many years and allowed football and the legacy of coaches to overtake morality and protecting the lives of those young boys in Second Mile. Just my input because living around here it seems like a lot of Penn State students still don't understand that's it's not just about Sandusky or Paterno, it's about changing the entire institutions mentality from its focus on football and sports legacy to a focus on academics; hopefully this harsh punishment will drive that point home for students and the administration at Penn State.

Top Bottom