• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
not sure what can b done about activity

one game i hosted i said in op "please dont join unless youre very confident you can see the whole thing thru" and it worked well. i made it clear that i would rather the game not run versus running one where id hav to babysit ppl and prod. i want ppl who WANT to play and are excited to do so

i had an idea i discussed with mac earlier on discord. on other sites they run turbo games and i actually got to play a game that had 3 hour day phases, and 21 hour night phases

so for example our day was from noon to 3 pm est. it worked for us cuz it was summertime. we had weekends off too which was ****ing AWESOME. every game should hav weekends off. its so ****ing nice lol

i wonder if something like that would b possible here? mayb something like 6 pm est-9pm est or around that ballpark so ppl could play at night after work/school? keep in mind you dont really hav to b there for all 3 hours (tho thats ideal) but if you can interact/post a lot in like the first hour and a half thats generally good enough depending on ****

i cant see us running a game like that that would reach past 9 players and i also am not sure if enough ppl would b interested in it. but i thought id throw it out there cuz the site generally seems to b more ppl who are playing at night after work and are busy otherwise

it was fun as ****, those phases. mayb most fun ive had playing. cant stress that enough lmao
there any interest in something like this or nah?

interest in actually playing, not just liking the idea or wanting to watch

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
there any interest in something like this or nah?

interest in actually playing, not just liking the idea or wanting to watch
I would definitely give this format a spin but the timing of the 3 hour windown day phases would be absoluty dispositive for me. Essentially I think it would have to be something like 7 PM - 10 PM EST otherwise thered be no gguarantee thatd id even have a chance to look at the thread during the day window. So if that time works for everyone playing def count me in but otherwise my IRL schedule just doesnt jive with it

Idk why everyone is so obsessed with games moving along at light speed to be frank, like this isnt like the old days where we literally have a queue of people waiting to host setups so we have a real incentive to get games wrapped up in a reasonable time. I personally enjoy games that take their time, like I have no problem whatsoever with a game taking 1-2 months to finish. We're all busier people now than we were 10 years ago so its like sometimes I get slammed with a 48 hour period I just cant read or post at all. Devastating if the deadline is 3-4 days max, about half as bad if deadline is about a week. I mean frankly idk if any of you remember this but I used to advocate for games without deadlines entirely back in the day, which makes it incumbent upon the players to move the game forward by actively seeking a majority lynch. This prevents people from having that bystander effect where they say "oh no ones posting, ill just wait until close to deadline and let that pressure kick everyone into high gear." People see deadlines as the only thing moving the game forward but I think that people often dont realize that we're adjusting our play to play around and conform to the length of the deadline ya know? People know the game will keep moving regardless of how hard they push for a wagon to happen so they just let deadline pressure force the issue instead of being forced to do it themselves otherwise the game remains stuck in purgatory. Kind of an extreme change that Im not expecting to actually be implemented but it could be worth considering deadlineless games with strict prod limits or something like no posts in a 72 hour window = prod. 3 prods total = modkill or something like that. You get the idea

So do we have another game lined up at this point or are we still deciding what to do/what there is interest in?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i think ppl just find it more fun when theres a higher level of engagement. i wouldnt say ppl want things at lightning speed, that seems a bit much, but like in the reunion game there were a few times that the thread got pretty hot with activity which was fun

not quite sure if theres anything to b done about it besides screen for ppl in the playerlist who can meet that level of activity that everyone is looking for. no deadlines is a possibility but idk dude, i feel like thats just a ticking time bomb of town sitting around and not doing **** all. a sense of urgency seems to b missing

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
We're all busier people now than we were 10 years ago so its like sometimes I get slammed with a 48 hour period I just cant read or post at all.
I mean absolutely zero offense when I say this, but if you're getting slammed with those kinds of situations, maybe hold off on joining a game?

I kinda disagree on the rest of your post but don't feel like arguing tbh lol. They aren't bad points, they're just different than the style of game I personally enjoy. No worries.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think having a game that is 48 hours is too short for some, and we have to consider them as well. I would prefer to play games that are longer and give everyone a chance to play. Since really, I'm here for the community. I think having shorter games on the side is fine for those that have the free time. Technically I do now, but I know how it is when I have work too. Haven't thought about the 'no deadlines' thing, but I would be down to try it down the line.

I think seven day deadlines are the best compromise for all. Then have the 48 hour turbos, or hell, 24 hour turbos on the side for those that want those quick lynches.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Important question, who is hosting the next game?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I think having a game that is 48 hours is too short for some, and we have to consider them as well. I would prefer to play games that are longer and give everyone a chance to play. Since really, I'm here for the community. I think having shorter games on the side is fine for those that have the free time. Technically I do now, but I know how it is when I have work too. Haven't thought about the 'no deadlines' thing, but I would be down to try it down the line.

I think seven day deadlines are the best compromise for all. Then have the 48 hour turbos, or hell, 24 hour turbos on the side for those that want those quick lynches.
I mean, it's not like 4 day deadlines are bad lol.

This isn't the deadlines' fault. This is the players. We either need to be stricter with punishment or actually policy lynch the people who do this crap.

I'm down to try new deadlines, but I think we're focusing on deadlines and mechanics when the root is bad player behavior.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
No, we will need a better system. It is up to the town to inactivity lynch. I'll leave it at that. My actions after this will show what I believe.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
uh... I have a plan for deadlines and apathy, but it's only useful for b. games... everyone will hate me lol.
I plan to host a game after you. Someone talk to me about setup.

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I have thanked everybody for playing Jungle Republic Mafia. It was a great learning experience, and required that I make quicktime decisions about unclear rulings and controversial decisions. Surely, UtopianPoyzin couldn't have anything up his sleeve... besides a test game for DGames beta. Wait wait wait, hold on...

As far as I'm aware, nobody has any games ready. Thirdkoopa is hard at work with VGM2, and that will be posted soon at an undisclosed date, but there is no way that it will fill within 2 days and be up and running. With this out of the way, here is my proposal.

There was most definitely an activity problem in the last game. And this is no surprise, as many of the recent DGames have been facing similar situations. Large games required many people to make time commitments that they were unable to keep, so we here have been having meaningful discussion about how to combat it. There were many solutions given; smaller games, longer time limits, availability "contracts". Many of the ideas thrown have been mainly untested or rarely ever used. So... yeah we're going to try some stuff out and see how it works.

5 players with 24 hour days and no nights. Yep, that's where we're headed. Just like how I ran "Quick-Draw" Ricochet while we were waiting for My Mafia Academia, I've got a very quick setup to run while we wait. And also, I want to further my hosting skills. (By this I mean it's so simple to run that there's almost no way I could **** it up. Even a monkey could hypothetically run it.)

Setup:

1 Mafia Goon
4 Town Blind Lovers

Basically, there are 4 Town Blind Lovers. Each of the Blind Lovers is paired with another, creating two pairs of Blind Lovers. When one of the Blind Lovers is lynched, the other Blind Lover is lynched as well. The Blind Lovers do not know who their pair is, but only that one exists.

All in all, the town has two day attempts to narrow down who the mafia is. Yet, only 1/5 players is anti-town, which can be daunting odds. Be it good new or bad new though, the population of townies goes down by 2 for each mislynch, making the odds 1/3 of hitting the mafia.

I hope you're fine with this Thirdkoopa, I thought that VGM2 would be already to go after my game. This shouldn't interfere with it though; even if you start signups now, this game should be over before it starts. I just wanted to give people a chance to see what a rapid fire round would be like, as we haven't done one of these high-activity rounds in a while.

No flavor, no BS, just high-intensity mafia. As only 5 people will be playing, there will be plenty of replacements. If you don't post in 12 hours, you will be replaced. I'll be starting signups. The game should fully start tomorrow, first five to sign up are in. There is almost no way this could go wrong.

Do not join if you cannot commit for active participation for 24 hours. While we are more lenient with larger games where we are grateful that all of the slots are filled, this is going to be a short bursting style game.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Last call for if anybody has any games that will go live soon. I REALLY do not want to steal anybody's thunder after coming off of a game myself.

Also, Midnight Ops is fully cancelled. I'm just looking to put some action behind our words and try games that encourage very active communication.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
good on ya for trying out something different, i think shorter / less commitment games are def a good way to augment the longer running ones

but i'm not a fan of single-scum setups like that

it might be fun for aimmafia though

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
good on ya for trying out something different, i think shorter / less commitment games are def a good way to augment the longer running ones

but i'm not a fan of single-scum setups like that

it might be fun for aimmafia though
To be frank, I don't really consider this game to be a "real" mafia game, but more of being productive in the downtime between big games. We had a full discusssion on how to make games more active, so I'm putting our money where our mouths are to see how the activity levels turn out.

There isn't a DGames discord server so AIM messaging mafia wouldn't work, however doing a game that's like 3 hours long total could be pretty fun. But i see where you're coming from. Was thinking of doing SS3 maybe, but this involves more players. I get why having only one mafia member isn't to some people's liking, but the game was meant to be short.

Hey ya'll

working on the post as we speak for sign-ups~
Woah! I don't have to hold a placeholder game then! Forget everything I just said about the game, TK is ready! (Thank you)

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Woah! I don't have to hold a placeholder game then! Forget everything I just said about the game, TK is ready! (Thank you)
I told ya'll I was doing it on wednesday

i'm a man of my word (a little late because of graduate school) - if i need to actually have a delay or a hiatus or anything else, I'll let you all know

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I can see myself playing in a xmas game but not before that. Also this place was better when we had a queue.

I would rather play a live game than a turbo. Both are a bit awkward with timezones.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hello July! You should sign up to the ThirdKoopa's game, although it might be a weird one. If you want, you can just wait for my game to be hosted. It's good to see you around.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Hello July! You should sign up to the ThirdKoopa's game, although it might be a weird one. If you want, you can just wait for my game to be hosted. It's good to see you around.
ran are you signing up

also it will be a weird one, lol. Can confirm. I'm not sure the level of ******* that everyone is used to here, so it won't be the craziest I've ever done.

July

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I just checked it out, I'm far too rusty to jump into ThirdKoopa's game even though it looks great, I'll be reading along though.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
my people

i've abandoned you all for so long

but dudes and dudettes, this semester been ROUGH LOOOOOOOOL I took a calculus test yesterday and I'm pretty sure I failed... that test was brutal to say the least. I think part of it was the difficulty but part of it was me being dumb and going in shock at the first exam of the semester haha

but life goes on :joyful:

giraffelasergun giraffelasergun since we're both mods now, does that mean we're married?

Top Bottom