• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
In hindsight, I apologize for this bad joke, lmao. Sorry #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf , it was late at night and the troll in me let loose. I am a super troll on a full moon. If it's not cool for me to joke like this with you, lmk.

Edit: I thought over my earlier response to you, and I'm not even sure I'm right about it tbh. I might talk to you about it later via PMs to make my point.
tbh im more offended that you consider anything that you had said in that quote to be a joke.

edit goddamn it now im testing my wpm count. im at 70

edit 2 76 with a 98.1% accuracy

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
tbh im more offended that you consider anything that you had said in that quote to be a joke.

edit goddamn it now im testing my wpm count. im at 70

edit 2 76 with a 98.1% accuracy
While rote memorization of words is one thing, two things that hold most people back both in typing and anything else that requires a "flow state" are:

1) They watch themselves, not their target

2) They think actively and deliberately make choices instead of letting it happen naturally

Both apply to smash pretty well. The first one is like the first thing you ask a noob. "Are you watching your character, or your opponent's?" and they're always watching their own "so they know when to l-cancel". Same with typing -- watching the word you're typing makes it HARDER to type. Look ahead at the words you will be typing. I typically am 3-4 words ahead. This can slow you down if you make a typo, but ultimately that is something you'd work on mechanically.

Also if when reading you "sound out" the words in your head or "hear a voice" speaking them to you, then you're reading at liks 20% of your maximum reading speed. Just scan your eyes over the words, your brain will get it.

https://www.spreeder.com/ <-- check that out to see what I mean

Remember the "watch your own character so you know when to l-cancel" being a thing that noobs do? That's #2. Thinking actively and deliberately and making choices instead of letting it happen naturally. "It's like a finger pointing to the moon" ala Bruce Lee -- you don't think "hmm... where could the moon be?" It's up, ************. You point up and there's the moon.

Same with typing. You don't think "I have to type the word 'walrus', now where's the 'W'". You don't think of the letters, you just type.

Try it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In doubles in particular you should be paying attention to other character rather than your own.

Partner in trouble? Go help them? 2v1 possible? Do it. Etc.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Working on a 2D zelda-like. Have the majority of the framework built for fast iterative design.

The basic premise I'm starting from is that a magic dude summons a demon piecemeal, placing the pieces in different bodies, and using those bodies to do his handiwork with their newfound powers. You are the piece of a demon inside the body. During the actual summoning process, the magic dude is interrupted and he doesn't end up having complete control and you have the option to go out and about.

From that point on in the game, the vast majority of plot points are based solely on the decisions you make. In fact from that point forward, you can turn around and go back to help the magic dude if you so desire. Every NPC you run into you can kill.

You can ally yourself with one kingdom to destroy the other, or vice versa, or you can ally with the demon who was summoned piecemeal and attempt to make yourself whole again.

The game's difficulty alters based on your choices -- as you level up, beat bosses, complete major quests, etc., difficulty increases. When difficulty increases, this integer determines what enemies are spawned in different locations or what quests may be available.

As you kill enemies of one type, they have diminishing returns so you can't consistently level up by farming. It pays to move forward faster.

On top of all of this, the game starts with 1 in 4 "universes". Each universe has different quests that appear or disappear. So while the base game is the same, several sidequests, characters, items, etc., only appear in certain universes. Someone playing in Universe 1 may find a "fire sword" as their first weapon while Universe 4 may run across an "earth hammer" or whatever.

Questions for you guys:

1. Does the game premise sound interesting?

2. What are your thoughts on killing children?

3. What would you expect to pay for a game like this, assuming you didn't know the scale?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
1 yes particularly how the game changes difficulty depending on your circumstances and the various changes like enemies moving and different sidequests. it sounds like youll get good variation out of the game and will be a sweet ride

2 this got me thinking of what games allow this and the only one ive played is the sims. i once trapped a kid inside a tiny prison i built on the lawn then he burned to death cuz he couldnt work the oven i put in there

3 $10-$20

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Working on a 2D zelda-like. Have the majority of the framework built for fast iterative design.

The basic premise I'm starting from is that a magic dude summons a demon piecemeal, placing the pieces in different bodies, and using those bodies to do his handiwork with their newfound powers. You are the piece of a demon inside the body. During the actual summoning process, the magic dude is interrupted and he doesn't end up having complete control and you have the option to go out and about.

From that point on in the game, the vast majority of plot points are based solely on the decisions you make. In fact from that point forward, you can turn around and go back to help the magic dude if you so desire. Every NPC you run into you can kill.

You can ally yourself with one kingdom to destroy the other, or vice versa, or you can ally with the demon who was summoned piecemeal and attempt to make yourself whole again.

The game's difficulty alters based on your choices -- as you level up, beat bosses, complete major quests, etc., difficulty increases. When difficulty increases, this integer determines what enemies are spawned in different locations or what quests may be available.

As you kill enemies of one type, they have diminishing returns so you can't consistently level up by farming. It pays to move forward faster.

On top of all of this, the game starts with 1 in 4 "universes". Each universe has different quests that appear or disappear. So while the base game is the same, several sidequests, characters, items, etc., only appear in certain universes. Someone playing in Universe 1 may find a "fire sword" as their first weapon while Universe 4 may run across an "earth hammer" or whatever.

Questions for you guys:

1. Does the game premise sound interesting?

2. What are your thoughts on killing children?

3. What would you expect to pay for a game like this, assuming you didn't know the scale?
1. I like open worlds and ways to customize how your game turns out. Interesting for sure.

2. Depends how much freedom you want to give, I personally don't want to do that but still if you want to give players the option, I suppose even if I'm not a fan of it.

3. 10-20 like marshy said.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
1. I like the idea of being able to choose and based on that, you progress the plot in a negative or positive manner. Like fable, but hopefully less cheesy. (Fable is a bit too black and white)

2. I don't care, but I would think of your target audience before you think of this question. I am sure families would be turned off by killing of children. Total freedom would mean anyone can be killed though, so I guess leaving it in is fine but have a huge stigma against you if you do just as you would in society. If someone kills a kid, a mob will be after you. (Meaning, I expect this to be T for teen or M for Mature) Another alternative is to make the children invincible or something as a joke maybe? Or maybe make it in some way that you can injure them but not kill them... Also think of how much leaving kids being harmed out takes away from the whole game. If it doesn't take much, meh.

3. $10-20

4. Bonus points for good music and fun items/weapons/actions.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Game seems interesting, and it has a lot of the interactivity and freedom that I enjoy in most of the games that I end up playing through these days.

I would pay $10-$15, would pay more if the author of the game or the game itself reaches critical acclaim (i.e. I didn't buy Undertale until it became an obviously huge hit 3-4 months in and was recommended to play it by multiple friends, and that was also $10). I admit though that I am a cheapskate and won't pay a large amount ($60) unless the game has the right branding, story, characters, author, yada yada (Persona 5, FF7 Remake, Dark Souls 3, and so on would easily fit this criteria). I don't like taking risks with any game purchase; I once bought a visual novel for $60 for the PS4 called Root Letter merely on a whim, and I was furious that I paid $60 for a run of the mill visual novel that really wasn't worth $60 in my opinion.

If you want to pick up on a huge audience quickly but still want to make money, I'd suggest a FTP model perhaps with ads, sort of like mobile games (although ads aren't really a thing with steam games to my understanding). Or maybe release a really good chunky demo; I'd be willing to pay more for a full game purchase if I had an opportunity to try out an amazing free demo before purchasing the game.

Last edited:

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

It's that time of year again. Season 4 of the Mafia Championship is upon us. I've been happy to have you guys be part of the previous seasons and am making this post in the hopes that you'll be interested in being represented again.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

1. Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 16 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 23. If this is too soon for you, again, just let me know :)

The games will take place on Mafia Universe.

The general discussion thread for S4: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/7692-Season-4-The-Time-Is-Now!

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
  • Relevant only to communities that participated last season: Season 3 Finalists are not eligible to play again this season.

2. Season 4 Format

The tournament structure
  • 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • 9 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 9 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
  • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
  • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.

The setup

MOUNTAINOUS:
12 Vanilla Townies
3 Mafia Goons

We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

3. Season 4 Timeline

The first Qualifying Game is currently set to start April 24th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Skype (thingyman) or Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
Any of those three may participate again if they so wish (and get picked by the community) btw.

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
If there are anyone at all who'd be willing to accept a nomination, I'll mark you guys down as participating. Any takers? :)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
it's kinda hard cause your format is so dramatically different from our slower paced games. If people are busy or simply feeling off for a bit it's a really oppressive mode.

Also been a while, hiiii!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yo, are we that #dedgames that nobody's gonna sign up for that cross site game?

Does grandpa Ryker have to come out of retirement now?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Not enough people have signed up for them after Laundry went MIA shortly before starting his game.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
My life is a mess. So not sure I can sign up.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
I don't really want the slot but I also don't want us to go unrepresented. I'd rather you do it, I think you'd be better at it

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
Update on The Mafia Championship

Exciting news: We are expanding to 150 participating communities, which is more than last season. In fact, we may even go for 165 communities depending on how some invitations go.

On that note, if you know of a community that might be interested in participating and isn't on the list in the linked post, let me know and I'll be happy to give them an invitation: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...Time-Is-Now!?p=1070949&viewfull=1#post1070949

Since none of the representatives chosen at this point have indicated that they can only play if their game starts April 24, I have made the decision that the qualifying phase won't begin until May 1st in order to allow me more time to get everything properly organized and to get all representatives properly prepared. This will have no impact on the overall schedule for this season; the qualifying phase will still be wrapped up by early July, after which we dive into the wildcard games followed by the finale game.

As for how to spectate your representative (Ryker), I'll get back to you with more info on that, but cliffs: Your community may of course create your own private spectator chat (that your rep can't access), but the general spectator chat (where all communities gather and chat together) will be on Discord this year. If you want an invite to the server already now, just write me.

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
UPDATE ON MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP

Originally, the plan was for this season to feature 135 communities. We will now have 165 participating communities, which means that this season alone we will have more different communities represented than all other seasons combined. Approximately 60 communities are participating for the very first time. Of the returning communities, about a dozen of them are resending a previous representative, while the rest are all sending fresh faces.

As a result of how big this season has gotten, we'll have more games to look forward to than ever before. We will have 11 qualifying games, 2 wildcard games and 1 finale game = 14 games in total.

All kinds of communities are partipating. Besides the sites dedicated specifically to mafia, we have forums dedicated to popular entertainment, sports, poker, board games, online games, video games, role playing, LEGO, personality type testing, stick figure animations, science, atheism, music, mathematics, comics, students, etc. Some of these communities started playing mafia more than a decade ago; Others just started this year.

Despite this being a forum event, we will also have communities that play the game via various chat clients (Discord, Telegram, IRC, custom, etc.) and via webcam (with games often streamed on Twitch.tv). And not least, there are communities centered around mafia game variants that you can buy on Steam (Town of Salem and Throne of Lies).

This season will also have the biggest international scope yet. For the very first time we will have representatives from Romania, Hungary, Chile, Portugal, Ukraine and Czechia as well as our first person representing a Japanese community. We even have our first Native American.

In addition to this, we of course welcome back countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Poland, Italy, Indonesia, South Africa and Ireland, meaning that we'll have more than 20 different countries represented in total.

Next update: I am hoping very much I will have all the info I need from all of the representatives by Wednesday at the latest next week. Assuming I do, I will schedule all the qualifying games on this day and get back to you with your representative's start date.

Top Bottom