• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Why do people vote for Presidents on the basis of progressing agendas that are primarily legislation based. That's why you elect Congress members and even then the ideal member to serve as the "whip" is decided amongst the elected members themselves.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
The president is able to exert a lot of influence in his party and can definitely try and manipulate what the news will focus on. Obama got elected on the premise that his election would result in affordable health care, so the democrats would want to pass a health care law in order to make good on that promise, if they don't people won't vote for future democrats. Then Obama can give speeches on health care, the media will cover it and talk about it, people will hear about it and think about it, and that all makes it likelier that congress will act on it. So presidents can definitely get things done that they legally can't get done.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The strange thing about Trump - actually about GOP in general but Trump in particular - is that 99.9% of the people that vote for him are voting directly against their own economic interests.

Oh well, looks like nearly all candidates are completely terrible this time around. Either that or there's no legitimiate chance that they'll actually get a shot. Sanders would be kinda cool to see. He'd be a decent president I think. Flawed, but not that bad. But there's no way that media/corporate USA/military industry will let that happen so it's out of the question. At this point I think we're gonna see Hillary vs Rubio which is really disgusting.

Trudeau seems like a cool dude though. Opinions Evil Eye Evil Eye @Raziek @Kantrip ...?

The president is able to exert a lot of influence in his party and can definitely try and manipulate what the news will focus on. Obama got elected on the premise that his election would result in affordable health care, so the democrats would want to pass a health care law in order to make good on that promise, if they don't people won't vote for future democrats. Then Obama can give speeches on health care, the media will cover it and talk about it, people will hear about it and think about it, and that all makes it likelier that congress will act on it. So presidents can definitely get things done that they legally can't get done.
I dunno ... you make it sound like the media acts upon the president's words. It's probably actually the other way round.

:059:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Pretty sure affordable health care is a good example of why you don't want a President to peddle a legislative agenda.

Pretty sure there are no professional standards to becoming a presidential candidate in the Republican Party. If there were, I feel that Sarah Palin, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Michelle Bachmann, Donald Trump, et al. have nailed those standards in a coffin and laid it out to sea. I'm registered as a Republican, but honestly I can't remember the last time I didn't vote for a Democrat.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~

Trudeau is a very... very mixed bag.

Good:

-His steadfastness about keeping campaign promises. He's got a majority government (it's like having a favorable Congress) so he knows he has no excuses not to.

-Good choices in cabinet ministers from what I've seen -- the Minister of Defence for example couldn't possibly be more qualified. I was concerned about his hard decision to make a 50/50 gender balanced cabinet, as politically incorrect as that is to say, because I think top decisionmakers, like police/firefighters/etc, should have their hiring standards exist outside of affirmative action. But I see no issues with the choices I've looked into thus far, and therefore he managed to have his cake and eat it to by being both progressive and (as far as I can tell) the best choices.

-Super minor point but I'm glad he changed the name of the Minister of Indian Affairs. It's not like it's a sports team with some kind of storied history behind the name, it's just a name borne of (and from a time of) ignorance and carries stigmas of bad policy choices. (For those curious it's now the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs... literally also a better description of the job)

-So far, he hasn't p***ied out on legalizing marijuana. I really think his government was expecting a minority gov't and wasn't expecting to get called on this particular bluff, but after a predictable middling early motion (blah blah medicinal... who cares, medicinal marijuana being under the heel of gov't is straight up cruel and quaint and ridiculous) he apparently handed off the motion to someone whose whole job is to figure out how to legalize it fully and get it into our infrastructure.

-He's shown a willingness to bend to the realities of new developments in the world in spite of his promises, which is good. His ambitious target for refugees to bring in was good, his timeline was ****ing ridiculously unrealistic. He knew if he took office he was going to be spending almost the entire month of November flying around to conferences and the like and have very little time to sit down and authorize particulars, that target was straight up naive and moronic. Thankfully, he decreased the number significantly for the short-term but didn't let up on the total number, simply allotting a realistic time window to get the same number of people in almost as fast. That was major points for him.

-Creation of a Minister of Science position -- in addition to the "well obviously he won't be muzzling scientists like the Harper government was at times", I just think this is a good step for humanity in general and I hope other countries consider having dedicated government personnel specifically for scientific advance.

-Frankly, I don't care if a terrorist loses their citizenship. It's an unpopular thing to say, but I think if you specifically make an attack of great casualty on a country specifically because of its government and policies, I don't know if you honestly have the right to enjoy the exact things you're clearly demonstrating mean nothing to you. But at the humanitarian level, it's sort of a Batman Policy -- being better than those you fight. So all in all, repealing Bill C-51 (which allows the government to revoke the citizenship of those convicted of a terrorist attack) is likely the right thing to do, and I don't think anyone should have that power anyway.

Bad:

-All the grandstanding. He's a young handsome head of state, and he knows it. He tries way too hard to make a point of how HEARTFELT he is, clearly trying to go for the JFK factor, and sometimes he makes a fool of himself (and at times I worry, the country) in the process. I still remember watching one of the foreign policy debates before the election and he tried to do a dramatic pause and staredown at his podium during his final comments, and the moderator fairly assumed he was done and tried to move on to someone else, causing Trudeau to awkwardly speak in a machine gun pace. All his constant posturing reminds me of reading gheb's minimafia and seeing how obvscum J was and yelling at the game to notice it lol

-He has preached transparency but frankly very little has seemed to be different from the previous government. Like, very, very little. They give a lot of the same nonanswers about pretty much everything that reminds me so much of the last guy's in office -- "We're looking into every possibility", "we don't want to commit to" etc etc etc. So far, his promise of transparency is only a promise and it's hella gay. I'm hoping this is only until they establish their footing with the Canadian public and the world calms down a bit, because right now I'm not diggin' it.

-After disavowing the Senate, it seems like they're hanging back waiting to see how the corruption trials for Duffy, Brazeau, and other fatcat pieces of **** go before actually doing something about it. Torching the Senate is frankly the right call imo, or scrapping everyone there and starting from scratch, and both of those would be unpopular and financially costly decisions. Frankly I really think the PMO is waiting to see what the easiest way out of that mess is and I hate it.

-Walls upon walls of rhetoric. So, right now Canada is pulling its CF-18s out of the ISIL fight. That's okay. We're only doing 2% of the bomb runs anyway. Trudeau continually says we're going to "continue to assist in a responsible way". Now, this was the rhetoric back during the election -- before November, a month where official ISIL terrorist attacks claimed ~500 lives. That's of course, a big ****ing deal and very clearly changes the political landscape, but the same soundbites and stalling tactics are being offered while they make up their minds. His spokespeople are regularly on news panels/debates and constantly deflect this issue to "humanitarian contributions such as the refugees..." and it annoys me. Shut up. EVERYONE is taking in refugees. America is doing it in the face of a hundredfold the resistance. France is doing it and they had the terrorist attack. EVERYONE is taking in refugees, doing so is NOT taking on a bigger role, and it is not contributing to the fight. It's a tangent issue that makes them look good, and they know it, so they keep trying to use it to obfuscate the issue and I REALLY don't like it. Engage the question you're being asked, not the question nobody asked; so far their PR modus operandi is almost indistinguishable from the conservative gov't they replaced.

-Cloud nine thinking. Trudeau makes a lot of comments that seem borne of a desire to show off how open his mind is and what a big thinker he is. And as a social scientist myself, I find his comments hilariously ignorant at times. Within days of the Boston Marathon Bombing, Trudeau was lambasting the American response to the bombers and saying that "these are people who feel excluded", etc etc. Basically playing armchair sociologist. I looked up his credentials and was unsurprised to find out that Trudeau was a LITERATURE major who later took engineering. What does this mean? It means I'M more ****ing qualified to comment on the Boston Bombers' mentality than he is, and I wouldn't ever dare. It took a literal team of psychiatrists and psychologists ten years with full access to all the relevant materials and investigative evidence to EVENTUALLY diagnose the mental problems suffered by the Columbine shooters and work up an offender profile. Why does Trudeau think he can do that just from his fee-fees and baseless speculation? Oh, and he essentially engages in victim blaming on top of it. Yeah, you're a real thinker, Justin. Stuff like this really makes me question just how realistic he is and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Let's talk about how rapists just feel excluded from romantic and sexual closeness while we're at it, might as well.

-His "middle class tax cut". If you make 47K (near the bottom range of the cut), you get a whole fifty extra dollars in the year. Guess what? That means his tax cut is only benefitting the wealthy -- people making upwards of 65K or more. A MacLean's article recently [correctly] referred to his tax cut as "taking from the rich and giving to the almost as rich". When questioned on benefits for those of low income -- like myself, and you guys know what a tough time I've had of things -- they talk about "other benefits" like the child care benefit and.... other things that target specific populations and people with specific problems not everyone has. Including me. I'm a white single male with no kids and no indigenous heritage, there is absolutely nothing in their fiscal recalibration that benefits me AT ALL. Which worries me when...

-When questioned on where the money would be made up in the tax cut, and asked if this would create new taxes such as carbon taxes and etc, Trudeau's gov't merely (and very vaguely) said "nothing is off the table". Carbon taxes, as anybody with an iota of logic would know, are ostensibly targeted at the extremely rich and corporations and their various business endeavors. But of course, this is only going to be passed straight down to consumers (like me) in the form of higher prices. And food is already expected to go up ~5% in price (like I ****ing needed THAT!), increase the cost of transporting the food in the first place? **** me. And that's just ONE new tax possibility. Scandinavian countries like Norway do amazing things with carbon taxes but only because they TRULY gouge the corporations and make sure the cost doesn't go straight down to the bottom rung of society; Canada and most western countries don't have the legal framework to prevent that.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Can someone explain to me real quick why Donald Trump is gaining popularity for what is -- all obvious racism aside -- clearly a Fascist platform?
he's running against a black guy?

this is meant as a joke, but, still. There are, I am sure, a number of different reasons, and I am sure some of them are not good, or 'just' reasons.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Good. Political correctness is gay.
I thought we had this conversation one time already. It's not that hard to be careful in what language you use.

The strange thing about Trump - actually about GOP in general but Trump in particular - is that 99.9% of the people that vote for him are voting directly against their own economic interests.
But surely the richest man in America is the best man in America? Ho ho ho. Oh America. & etc.

Evil Eye Evil Eye interesting post thank you.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I thought we had this conversation one time already. It's not that hard to be careful in what language you use.
We did, and I still think that it's preventing people following the movement from speaking from the heart and what they truly believe, but I digress.

I don't want any of the people on the Democratic side to win, and I don't want a majority of the people on the Republican side to win. Quite the predicament, especially when it's my first time having the opportunity to vote.

While we're talking about voting, the electoral college is the worst idea ever. I understand that it may have been easier to use the electoral colleges for a majority of American history (with fraudulent voting, possibility of skewing the numbers towards one side based on the administrator's beliefs, etc., that would effect the outcome a lot more than electoral colleges), but now that we have votes that can be electronically managed and counted, why not just send in the total number of votes from each side from voting centers? It would be a heck of a lot more accurate based on the people's wants, and we wouldn't have situations were a majority of the American people vote for one person and the other person wins because of how the voting system is set up (Gore v. Bush).

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I dunno man, there's a difference between being immature and whiney about not getting to say certain things and being totally stifled by PC nonsense. There's absolutely a happy middleground between extremes. In my last post I openly said I was skeptical of a decision to enforce a 50/50 gender balanced cabinet, and not one person has jumped down my throat yet, and I assume that's because I was fair and logical with my thinking and not clearly just insenstive or misogynistic

Last edited:

Orboknown

Smash Hero
We did, and I still think that it's preventing people following the movement from speaking from the heart and what they truly believe, but I digress.

I don't want any of the people on the Democratic side to win, and I don't want a majority of the people on the Republican side to win. Quite the predicament, especially when it's my first time having the opportunity to vote.

While we're talking about voting, the electoral college is the worst idea ever. I understand that it may have been easier to use the electoral colleges for a majority of American history (with fraudulent voting, possibility of skewing the numbers towards one side based on the administrator's beliefs, etc., that would effect the outcome a lot more than electoral colleges), but now that we have votes that can be electronically managed and counted, why not just send in the total number of votes from each side from voting centers? It would be a heck of a lot more accurate based on the people's wants, and we wouldn't have situations were a majority of the American people vote for one person and the other person wins because of how the voting system is set up (Gore v. Bush).
Because the founding fathers didnt trust us to vote lol. Had nothing to do with accuracy.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Don't mind me. Just posting on my 10 year smashboards anniversary. What's going on here? Another political debate? Another long EE post? Stay classy DGames. Thanks for being awesome back in the day when I was here.

Edit: Oh. I guess that was 10 days ago. I was too busy to logon then. lol. Anyways...back to the shadows

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
The older I get the more I realize that racism is pretty prevalent across both sides. You have people saying "they're incapable of helping themselves" for racist reasons just as often as you have people saying "they're just drug dealers" for racist reasons.

And on a bigger note, I don't even really think the problem is racism anymore. I think it's more xenophobia, and a fear of "otherness". I think most of the racism against Obama was really because of his name outside of just his race. I don't think we'd be having birthirism if he was named Jeffrey Griffin, no matter how black he is.

I dunno man, there's a difference between being immature and whiney about not getting to say certain things and being totally stifled by PC nonsense. There's absolutely a happy middleground between extremes. In my last post I openly said I was skeptical of a decision to enforce a 50/50 gender balanced cabinet, and not one person has jumped down my throat yet, and I assume that's because I was fair and logical with my thinking and not clearly just insenstive or misogynistic
We were just silently judging you, you pig

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
.....to be fair that's a pretty terrible answer I guess. I'm used to the general understanding among all DGamers that AGames are a thing that almost never happens, sometimes ALMOST happens but doesn't, and the general concept is known.

Basically, picture a tabletop RPG game and take out the cumbersome math (outside of some minor streamlined stuff with RNG.com, which the player doesn't need to do or worry about). You make actions, talk to other players/NPCs, interact with people, and do stuff. Characters can have very concrete ways to win (ie: In "The Fog", my first AGame, there were Traitors who needed to find and kill all the Descendants of the founders of the fictional town and then kill everyone else, or they could take a huge huge huge power gimp and just kill anyone they want at will) or they can require you to delve into your character's head and just kinda breathe and think like they do (ie: in my second AGame, Batman: We Own the Knight, the Joker's role PM merely said "You're a simple guy." It gave him no direction whatsoever about what to do with himself, but that sure as hell didn't stop Eor)

...also AGame = Adventure Game. Obvs.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
For real though, you already gave out that information yourself.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
The World's Greatest

nah I wish. That's a dead dream now but once upon a time I wanted to be a homicide cop more than anything in the world.

I read all ongoings all the time p much, so I saw you mention it in postgame for minimafia (I think? Maybe it was Popcorn?) Basically if you are playing mafia at a given moment and I'm active in the DGames community you can expect that I'm probably watching and judging silently. Or not so silently if Laundry is on AIM lol

As for AGames. It's tough to say. I think The Fog ran for about six months, while Batman ran for like a year and a half I think, possibly a little longer. That game had some stall-outs and activity issues and IRL dramas in my own sphere though, I don't think it'd have been quite as long generally. Still, yeah, they can be a real commitment... but they're also a once in a lifetime experience as far as a game experience goes. AGames are to video games what books are to movies. They require a lot more imagination, but if you have that imagination, there's nothin' better.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Missed you too, Ryker. Missed Dgames in general.

Last edited:
Top Bottom