• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I heard that Jon Stewart is retiring after this season. Is that true? Would be such a pity :3

:059:

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
btw

@ #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf
since you made that song for your friend's animation. i know you play piano but do you have any sort of prior experience/training (classes etc) when it comes to composition or are you just learning for this? curious
well...

im classically trained. and alongside all 12-13 years of lessons ive had and been obsessed with music theory. im not an AMAZING pianist yet, but im a total theory junkie. i've never had formal compositional training, but i know enough about how music is structured to compose, and have been doing so for a little less than a year. my goal is to transfer after getting my AA next year to a schoo with a good composition program so i can get more direct training.

Maven89

Smash Master
Whenever I start seeing politics debated on the internet, I honestly fear that the web has permanently damaged humanity by allowing people to live separated from the society they live in. Some people have no understanding of the world at all yet they're grown adults who are about to serve as a new generation, and it's generally the worst of these people that are the most active on the "internet" to influence the younger internet users who mistake these well written idiots for intellectuals, and thus a new generation is being raised believing the views thrown around on reddit or 4chan are of any value at all, with no desire for practical experiences to disprove them.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Whenever I start seeing politics debated on the internet, I honestly fear that the web has permanently damaged humanity by allowing people to live separated from the society they live in. Some people have no understanding of the world at all yet they're grown adults who are about to serve as a new generation, and it's generally the worst of these people that are the most active on the "internet" to influence the younger internet users who mistake these well written idiots for intellectuals, and thus a new generation is being raised believing the views thrown around on reddit or 4chan are of any value at all, with no desire for practical experiences to disprove them.
Tell me about it. I just skimmed the comments section on a political cartoon located on a website mostly dedicated to humor.

Maven89

Smash Master
It's pretty terrible for discussion, but I like the subreddits for certain games and tv shows. /r/asoiaf is pretty cool if you're a fan of Game of Thrones and want to read the craziest and dumbest theories about it. the walking dead subreddit is pretty cool. Avoid the rest. It was the first website I joined just so I couldn't see some of their content.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
It's pretty terrible for discussion, but I like the subreddits for certain games and tv shows. /r/asoiaf is pretty cool if you're a fan of Game of Thrones and want to read the craziest and dumbest theories about it. the walking dead subreddit is pretty cool. Avoid the rest. It was the first website I joined just so I couldn't see some of their content.
Pokemon/Nuzlocke/Wondertrade/etc are fine subreddits if you're into that thing.

Also, it's alright for online things like trading Pokemon and match making.

Maven89

Smash Master
I haven't touched a pokemon game since Red/Blue. I did try an emulator of...Ruby, I think, but none of the pokemon I liked were there and they were all replaced by really dumb looking ones. Then I think I got like, a five minute discussion about the ethics of free range pokemon or keep in pokeball pokemon. Pokemon was a lot of fun though, but in my non-educated or in any way valid opinion of the entirety of the games, every pokemon after the first 200ish are dumb. It's just ******** looking animals with apples for heads or apples with mechanical spider pig legs or something.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I'm interested in what @#HBC | Mac has to say about this.

I was seriously thinking similar thoughts about reddit today. Today was the first time I actually gave it a good look around. Like Ruy I always felt the format to be weird and not very intuitive so I hadn't ever really used it. I had started to read a couple of subreddits the past month, but as I tried to branch out I realized I just could not relate to its culture.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

I was seriously thinking similar thoughts about reddit today. Today was the first time I actually gave it a good look around. Like Ruy I always felt the format to be weird and not very intuitive so I hadn't ever really used it. I had started to read a couple of subreddits the past month, but as I tried to branch out I realized I just could not relate to its culture.
I'll plus one this post.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Does someone here play board games? Puerto Rico, Saboteur, Perudo, etc? DGames should really learn to play Saboteur imo

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Oh, another few good things about reddit:

1) It has a few random niches that most other forums/websites don't have due to lack of popularity. Examples include local gaming communities (mine is 502Gamers), subreddits dedicated to making newer players of a game as informed as possible (League of Legends Summoner School as an example), and it's really easy for people that are way more informed about a topic than you are to do AMA's, which is interesting to certain people. The fact that you can find a subreddit for most multiplayer games is really nice, too.

Reddit isn't awful or anything in my opinion, but I guess it depends on the person you ask and what subreddits they go to.

@ Omni Omni Jdietz hosted a really good game with Ryker recently. He's hosting another one now. One of the best hosts on the site imo, definitely recommend.

Outside of that, no queue means you'll be waiting until someone decides they want to host one out of the blue.

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste

+1

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Nabe changing from sexy Slippy to heart-**** Maya

count me in for this bandwagon

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Should I play Persona 2? If so, which version? The PSN has two different ones.

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I don't know what it is on PSN, but Persona 2 is split into two games, Innocent Sin (Part 1) and Eternal Punishment (Part 2). The PS1 release of IS never made it out of Japan, but Eternal Punishment did. There's a PSP remake of Innocent Sin that was localized. There's also a PSP remake of Eternal Punishment, but it's Japan only. Go figure. If you had to only play one, I recommend the PSP remake of IS. Otherwise I might suggest going from the PS1 release of Eternal Punishment and then playing the PSP release of IS just because of how difficult it would be going from something as polished as the PSP version to the very rough PS1 version..

It's obviously my favorite so I have to recommend you give it a go, but it's very different than P3 and P4 so you can't really compare it.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I've played the first persona, though I haven't done the Ice Queen route. I hear it's pretty good and it sounds interesting.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Tell me all about it.

:059:
I usually play on boardgamearena

Puerto Rico is like a multi-player chess (can be played by 2, 3, 4 or 5 players. I like 3 best). It's incredibly deep and balanced, with a strong focus on tactical play. Placed 4th in all-time best board games according to a rank I saw on boardgamegeek some time ago. Overall view:

- Turn based
- Each turn, a player chooses an action
- The action benefits all players equally
- Nonetheless, the player that chooses the action gets an extra benefit.

It's a cooperative game, and therefore the best moves revolve around picking the best relative action (ie if an action gives you a benefit of 10, but gives everyone else a benefit of 10, and another action gives you a benefit of 1 but gives no benefit to the others, this second action is prefered)

http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamepanel?game=puertorico -> This link includes videos and a PDF explaining the detailed rules, and archived / live games can be watched.

Saboteur in contrast is a very simple card game, not much tactical, but still really fun to play and mess around with a lot of people. It has a stronger focus on talking and coordinating plays. The game divides the players into two teams: the diggers, which are the "good" team whose goal is to build a road and find the gold, and the saboteurs, that try to disrupt the road and preventing the diggers from arriving to the gold. One extra fun element is that, at first, you don't know who else are diggers / saboteurs (regardless of which team you are on), and have to find out through based on the plays the other guys do (sorta like Mafia).

http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamepanel?game=saboteur -> This link includes videos and a PDF explaining the detailed rules, and archived / live games can be watched.

EDIT: Recommended video to learn the game
---​

The site includes more than 50 board games, free to play after creating an account. I recommend learning Saboteur first, is really simple to learn and very fun, and it would be cool to create a DGames group to mess around with this game. If you want to go more serious, then learn Puerto Rico: incredibly deep and rich, very well designed, almost flawless. I'm not familiar with the rest of the games (other than Perudo which is a simple bidding dice game, revolves a lot around deception, but can get kinda stale after a while), but the site is amazing and super recommended.

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Thanks for that. Definitely down for a dgames group. I'm always interested in learning new board games. Saboteur sounds a lot like Detective.

Rajam

Smash Champion
If you guys get interested and go into the site, let me know your account' names so I may go ahead and add you to a DGames group

EDIT:

@ #HBC | Acrostic #HBC | Acrostic
@#HBC | BarDeeZy
@#HBC | Bunzy
@ #HBC | Dancer #HBC | Dancer
@#HBC | Dark Horse
@ BSL BSL
@#HBC | FrozeηFlame
@ #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf
@#HBC | J
@ Dooms Dooms
@#HBC | Joker
@#HBC | Kary
@#HBC | Laundry
@#HBC | Mac
@#HBC | marshy
@ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe
@#HBC | Rake.
@#HBC | Ranmaru
@ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu
@ #HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker
@#HBC | Scary
@ Xivii Xivii
@ #HBC | ZoZo #HBC | ZoZo
@#HBC | ѕoup
@adumbrodeus
@Alakaslam
@Asdioh
@ Ashemu Ashemu
@Beat!
@Chaco
@Circus
@Glyph
@ DtJ S2n DtJ S2n
@Evil Eye
@Fandangox
@Gargaglione
@ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~
@ Gova Gova
@ Handorin Handorin
@Jdietz43
@ JeXs JeXs
@Jim Morrison
@JTB
@July
@Kataefi
@KevinM
@mentosman8
@Nicholas1024
@ Omni Omni
@Orboknown
@Overswarm
@ Kantrip Kantrip
@Raziek
@Rockin
@Ronike
@Swiss
@th3kuzinator
@ Tom Tom
@vanderzant
@Vinyl.
@Vult Redux

^ Check my post above (49074)

(PS: I bet like 90% of dgamers are on that list; mafia mods should call players like that :awesome:)

Last edited:

Handorin

Smash Hero
Didn't make the list =(
I've played Saboteur before and it was fun, not too hard.
And it took me maybe five minutes to figure out that chick's hand was a hand.
Boardgame username: Handorin
get at me

oh snapz, they have 6 nimmt. That game rocks. I have it at home.

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Saboteur is really fun irl. Unsure about playing it online, but I guess a lot of people feel that way about offline mafia compared to online mafia.

Top Bottom