• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Ashemu

Smash Ace
im not claiming im innocent or shouldnt have been warned. i agree i was being an ass. i didnt bring this up to get anybody infracted or remove infractions on myself, i brought this up because of what i said here:
I guess what I am saying with that is that to me, a lot of people upset here (aside from like, J) come off like they just want to get off defending "the underdog" (hence the double standard with bwolf's post) and probably only warned Swiss to make a point and would go back to not caring within a few weeks.

but what do i know

Maven89

Smash Master
Marshy really? Another moderator had already stepped in, those posts are really old and before this whole discussion happened, I mean you can't jsut go back and infract everyone who said something mean, like 80% of the people here would be banned

Ashemu

Smash Ace
also, raziek, if you didn't want to outright infract him, verbal warnings also exist.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
also, raziek, if you didn't want to outright infract him, verbal warnings also exist.
I repeat, I wasn't here, and did not touch the situation because the whole thing went down (and was resolved) by the time I returned.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
While I understand why you did it, I don't know if I agree with the lack of action on a personal level. I'm more disappointed with ruy and marshy for not doing anything when both were there.

:186:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Not only did I win Project:M, but I also won the Wind Jammers tournament the first time I ever played the game. I entered as The Patriot and played the USA character. Game 3 of loser's finals had the entire room singing the national anthem.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Wow you guys are all dumb

Don't worry I've read all your complaints and arguments and I've reached a solution I think will solve all our problems

We cut DGames in half, right down the middle

EDIT: Man **** you guys making this such a serious issue that I feel guilty about making a joke post about it and have to come back and edit it.
G...Glyph, you're still alive?!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It's not just about the workload, J has the type of personality that will move the room in a more healthy direction while in my expirience, maintaining the objectivity to be fair. Both by example and mod actions. This is especially true because of how obviously a large segment of the current userbase respects him (also it might convince him to play a game at some point in the future when the community has been fixed, don't tell him i said that :p)

As far as badwolf, I don't think he should get a warning or an infraction for that. Let's be clear, before we hit this discussion, saying something like that wouldn't get infracted in this room period. Since we've come to the collective conclusion that the only way for this room to survive is to have tighter restrictions on behavior, yes comments like that should be warned or infracted in the future.

But applying that rule change retroactively is BS, even if that exchange was responsible for spawning this discussion. Ashemu crossed the line that had been enforced before, badwolf did not.

In general I agree with the principal though, bad behavior is not an excuse for other bad behavior. Even fighting words, while not protected speech, does not excuse a subsequent assault and/or battery. At most it may be a mitigating factor.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
While I understand why you did it, I don't know if I agree with the lack of action on a personal level. I'm more disappointed with ruy and marshy for not doing anything when both were there.

:186:
I wasn't there, that thread exploded when I went to bed.

edit: I have been cracking down harder more recently because I've been told and seen the moderation here is way too lax. So I have been a lot harder on the inappropriate content and bashing going on.

If something things I've been out of line on something, shoot me a PM on it and ask me about it if not Marshy.

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Girl problems, pt. 4

After countless distractions and multiple months, I decided it was time to finally resolve this nagging issue. I still had not made a final decision, but my gut told me to go with the headstrong blonde. There would be no beating around the bush this time- I gathered my courage and directly confessed my love... and was immediately rejected. Where had I messed up? M-maybe some other day? I thought over it many times while tending my garden and improving my cooking. I was determined to not let it end like this and I had an idea. A gift would show her how much I care. Tomorrow, a pair of fur boots. Denied. The next day, a hand knitted hat. Thumbs down. The next, a stunning silver trinket. Not happening. I had to pull all the stops. She would never admit to it, but she had an incredible weakness for sweets. Cake, more than anything in the world, was her favorite. I crafted the finest cake that could be made, a truly worthy offering. She was shocked, but couldn't hide her joy.

"Oh, a cake? Is this for me? Mmm... You're always so nice to me, giving me gifts like this. I thought I should return the favor!"

She extended her hands, and in them rested a skull. I took it, and left her be. She was way too metal for me. I swiftly went home and asked my number two choice out, the maid, and she immediately accepted with no complications. And that's the story of how I found love. The end.

Swiss

Smash Lord
What the **** have I just read for the last two pages.

It's almost as ******** as watching RR and Chibo go head to head as TvT.

Players need to stop getting riled up by players that play and are generally more 'aggressive' and 99% of players that play aggressive need to realise they ****ing suck at it.

Goodbye, J, you were almost mediocre.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
What the **** have I just read for the last two pages.

It's almost as ******** as watching RR and Chibo go head to head as TvT.

Players need to stop getting riled up by players that play and are generally more 'aggressive' and 99% of players that play aggressive need to realise they ****ing suck at it.

Goodbye, J, you were almost mediocre.
Why do I get the feeling that you would be banned within a week if you came back after we up'd the moderation?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
There's a noose that hangs at the entrance to this thread. It's a message to be read by all who encounter it. For the cautious, the sane, it's a warning. For the reckless, the wild at heart, an invitation they cannot refuse. The worst of the SWF underworld gather here. They come here from across the world to butt heads and jostle for power. An evil game caught between the east and the west founded during the Hentai Mafia War and nurtured by many who came here to ride the wave of ****ty discussions and waifus sweeping across the forums. The edge of Smashboards, the crucible of hypocrisy, a place where those whose souls have been destroyed in the relentless search for WIFOM and crappy meta reside. A final stop on the way to being banned. The name of this subforum is spoken of among the veterans of Smashboards. Many who come here to play mafia are swallowed by the spam, never to return. A cruel fate awaits any half-assed small time Smasher who accidentally stumbles into the dGames subforum. Right now another sacrificial lamb has wandered too far from home. Mafia awaits.

Swiss

Smash Lord
Why do I get the feeling that you would be banned within a week if you came back after we up'd the moderation?
You feel that way because of the burning passion you harbour for me.

You want to hate me...to mock me. But somehow...and you're not sure why, I excite you...thrill you in ways you never thought possible.

Ashemu

Smash Ace
There's a noose that hangs at the entrance to this thread. It's a message to be read by all who encounter it. For the cautious, the sane, it's a warning. For the reckless, the wild at heart, an invitation they cannot refuse. The worst of the SWF underworld gather here. They come here from across the world to butt heads and jostle for power. An evil game caught between the east and the west founded during the Hentai Mafia War and nurtured by many who came here to ride the wave of ****ty discussions and waifus sweeping across the forums. The edge of Smashboards, the crucible of hypocrisy, a place where those whose souls have been destroyed in the relentless search for WIFOM and crappy meta reside. A final stop on the way to being banned. The name of this subforum is spoken of among the veterans of Smashboards. Many who come here to play mafia are swallowed by the spam, never to return. A cruel fate awaits any half-***** small time Smasher who accidentally stumbles into the dGames subforum. Right now another sacrificial lamb has wandered too far from home. Mafia awaits.
what VN are you playing

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Warning Received
swiss is mad because hes ACTUALLY mediocre as town and his scum play exceeds his town play so much that people just dont take him seriously as town.

also hes 'a really swell guy who has his life together'

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashemu

Smash Ace
i was reading about that today actually

i love birds but it seems stupidly dark for a bird****ing sim. speaking of which im also worried gorf will go on the internet and call me a bird****er if i read it. im torn

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
i was reading about that today actually

i love birds but it seems stupidly dark for a bird****ing sim. speaking of which im also worried gorf will go on the internet and call me a bird****er if i read it. im torn
He would never do that!
But yeah it looks... weird, I guess. Unsurprisingly I haven't seen much of it lmao

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
You feel that way because of the burning passion you harbour for me.

You want to hate me...to mock me. But somehow...and you're not sure why, I excite you...thrill you in ways you never thought possible.
As a homosexual this excites me.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
guys the mod thing is important
other stuff more relevant

j is a pretty lady whom we all miss, but focus on the issues
incoming controversial post

j is too inactive

give it to nabe, who will bashfully decline

give it to bard, who will be confrontational as hell but stick to basic moral principles to sustain the longevity of the room.
and then slowly try to conquer the world thereafter

we probably shouldn't be talking about this in the social thread

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I already denied of being moderator anywhere on this site because I asked to be mod. I'm already an administrator elsewhere, but maybe not for long since smash 4 released. Speaking of which, anyone up for a dgames online tourney in a few days/weeks?

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Here's a list of practical paths to take for the community. I don't agree with everything I'm about to say. A lot of these talking points spring from differing attitudes expressed to me by other people, individually, in private.

Actual actionable things we can DO:
thumbsup.jpg for long wall of tastiness

- Let's give this Social thread a reset. It started over five years ago, and contains a lot of history -- great. Let's lock it and leave it to be read when you feel like reminiscing. The collective "we" who are here right now aren't "DGames", we're (for the most part) tight friends who all play mafia on the same sub-forum of SWF, and we don't need five years of clogged history to stay that way. Let's start and pin a new social thread that can be open to new people to introduce themselves, welcoming them to Decisive Games. We should encourage serious and prolonged debate to be taken to private conversation, except when it concerns the games. Or, run a DGame that somehow involves serious debate as gameplay. Point is, that debate is part of our familiarity with one another, which is great, but a social thread should not continue to be The Serious Issues Show. We can exist as friends and conversation partners as a community without it being so toxic.

Perspective: the average person clicks into this sub-forum right now. What do they see? A social thread with 1200 pages starting in 2009. That's not inviting at all. Granted, other sub-forums let their socials grow larger prior to reset, but they have people coming for Smash-related talk. We don't have that pull. Their socials also grow larger faster, so they do their resets within months to a year. Our thread started in 2009, which does not scream that we are current. That, coupled with the low number of threads compared to other subforums, does not scream that we are current. And that, coupled with the very large thread size across our sub-forum, encourages people to think we're small and exclusive. We can't change game size, but we can renew the Social thread.
i don't mind either way. most rooms have super long social threads anyway, and they stil bring in more people for the most part. i don't think this is very impactful. most new players that have joined haven't had any problems adjusting to the sizability of the thread since they don't really have any intention of reading the whole thread to begin with. i don't see many problems with jumping in.

- Let's write a standard ruleset. Every game mod makes their own slightly different rules in every game, but they're always based on the same set. So let's write it down, in its own pinned thread, and include every rule we all agree on (at the very least, anything dealing with player interactions like rule #1 or private conversation rules.) Then, someone running a game should specify any rules in their game that will differ from the standard set, as well as anything game-specific. There could also be a standard mafia subset of rules, but that's much less relevant at the moment.
i'm not really against this either in the sense that i'm not against a basic code of conduct ruleset so to speak. people shouldn't feel confined to a given ruleset though; innovation and creativity with anything, even rulesets, will propagate growth.

- Let's get another moderator. Someone who is down to police the social thread, AND to read games too, taking a more active role in laying down rules. This mod should enforce things like rule #1 (in discussion with a game's mod about implementation) because that should not be left to a game's mod alone. If no one who is currently a moderator is interested, get someone modded who fits the above.
already responded to this part

- Let's go recruit. Go talk about Smash 4 with a DGames link in your signature (I see some people already doing that, and good on you) and I am down to make banners if people want them. Let's also specifically send out envoys to other sub-forums (e.g. Gova goes to Lucina Social) to talk about that content (because it would be ****ish otherwise) as well as grabbing people for mafia. X1 did that once with Mario Social, and it went well. We should also recruit from other forums, once this sub-forum is made more inviting. Smash Bros is not a hard sell; the hard part is being inviting and not crippling. We used to be extremely good at this, but now players only stay if they are inclined to put up with us.
i'll totes put a dgames banner in my sig if someone makes a cool one. think i saw one beforehand, can't remember who had it.

- Let's try not to discourage people from making new threads. Is there really any reason not to run Thread X and Thread Y? Rather than shooting ideas down, just run the damn thing and see how it goes. There seems to be a pervasive attitude in DGames where new threads that aren't games are shot down before they're even made. If a thread is bad, it can fall into obscurity on its own merits or lack thereof, but it doesn't need to be torn into pieces beforehand.
totes agree with this

Last edited:
Top Bottom