• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Hey any tech peeps out there?

My computer has an issue where if I give no input for EXACTLY 5 minutes, my FPS will drop like a rock. Think 2-3 FPS. This is especially obnoxious when watching videos, as you might imagine. Audio remains fine though. Drivers are up to date. Help?
Might be an overheating oroblem. I had this whole playing league and my CPU just needed a reapplication of thermal paste and my fans dusted.

we thuggin

marshy|Sold2
Almost every game literally already has some kind of "don't be a ****" rule in the OP. The problem is that it's usually something mods copy/paste from some other ruleset, and they don't enforce it.
i still like my idea better cuz its more tangible yet still without bein intrusive on the game. to me if someone says "marshy youre ********" or "you are a ****ing dumbass" i dont care enough to let it discourage me from being in this room. but others might. this scenario either doesnt happen with the suggested rule or its stomped out

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Here's a list of practical paths to take for the community. I don't agree with everything I'm about to say. A lot of these talking points spring from differing attitudes expressed to me by other people, individually, in private.

Actual actionable things we can DO:

- Let's give this Social thread a reset. It started over five years ago, and contains a lot of history -- great. Let's lock it and leave it to be read when you feel like reminiscing. The collective "we" who are here right now aren't "DGames", we're (for the most part) tight friends who all play mafia on the same sub-forum of SWF, and we don't need five years of clogged history to stay that way. Let's start and pin a new social thread that can be open to new people to introduce themselves, welcoming them to Decisive Games. We should encourage serious and prolonged debate to be taken to private conversation, except when it concerns the games. Or, run a DGame that somehow involves serious debate as gameplay. Point is, that debate is part of our familiarity with one another, which is great, but a social thread should not continue to be The Serious Issues Show. We can exist as friends and conversation partners as a community without it being so toxic.

Perspective: the average person clicks into this sub-forum right now. What do they see? A social thread with 1200 pages starting in 2009. That's not inviting at all. Granted, other sub-forums let their socials grow larger prior to reset, but they have people coming for Smash-related talk. We don't have that pull. Their socials also grow larger faster, so they do their resets within months to a year. Our thread started in 2009, which does not scream that we are current. That, coupled with the low number of threads compared to other subforums, does not scream that we are current. And that, coupled with the very large thread size across our sub-forum, encourages people to think we're small and exclusive. We can't change game size, but we can renew the Social thread.

- Let's write a standard ruleset. Every game mod makes their own slightly different rules in every game, but they're always based on the same set. So let's write it down, in its own pinned thread, and include every rule we all agree on (at the very least, anything dealing with player interactions like rule #1 or private conversation rules.) Then, someone running a game should specify any rules in their game that will differ from the standard set, as well as anything game-specific. There could also be a standard mafia subset of rules, but that's much less relevant at the moment.

- Let's get another moderator. Someone who is down to police the social thread, AND to read games too, taking a more active role in laying down rules. This mod should enforce things like rule #1 (in discussion with a game's mod about implementation) because that should not be left to a game's mod alone. If no one who is currently a moderator is interested, get someone modded who fits the above.

- Let's go recruit. Go talk about Smash 4 with a DGames link in your signature (I see some people already doing that, and good on you) and I am down to make banners if people want them. Let's also specifically send out envoys to other sub-forums (e.g. Gova goes to Lucina Social) to talk about that content (because it would be dickish otherwise) as well as grabbing people for mafia. X1 did that once with Mario Social, and it went well. We should also recruit from other forums, once this sub-forum is made more inviting. Smash Bros is not a hard sell; the hard part is being inviting and not crippling. We used to be extremely good at this, but now players only stay if they are inclined to put up with us.

- Let's try not to discourage people from making new threads. Is there really any reason not to run Thread X and Thread Y? Rather than shooting ideas down, just run the damn thing and see how it goes. There seems to be a pervasive attitude in DGames where new threads that aren't games are shot down before they're even made. If a thread is bad, it can fall into obscurity on its own merits or lack thereof, but it doesn't need to be torn into pieces beforehand.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I don't post outside of dgames so... Maybe if I get more interested in the Wii u one than the 3ds :p

Maven89

Smash Master
I just realized how annoying it must be to be in a hydra with Marshy, because no matter what people just attribute everything to marshy anyways

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would be down to enforce the modified version of Rule 1. It seems a lot more enforceable. A standardized ruleset would also be nice.

I'd even be willing to begin enforcing that rule in our current Blazblue mafia to see how it goes.

...Also haters gon' hate I might just make the salt factory thread. Though when I do, I will do everything in my power to make it NOT "lets review player X", and discourage such talk unless someone is specifically asking for personal advice.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I'm laughing that swiss got a warning received that post. I guess mods are starting to harp on that **** lopl.

I'll go back and respond to everything that I missed from the last time I was at my own computer. There's a lot I wanted to hit on or talk about.

J was mentioned a few times and I got to talk to him last when it came to this site because that conversation was motivated by me lynching his ass in Sleepover Finale. I don't personally remember the details as that happened a long while ago but he was mad at the fact that he got lynched, feeling that it had something to do with the fact that he doesn't play D1 and I knew that and he felt betrayed for that fact. There were more problems there than that but that was what related to DGames. As far as I can tell and as far as the rumblings I've heard from him and others, he left both for the fact that his life got much busier (and I still see him online from time to time on the site, he just doesn't post here anymore) and because he hated what this place had become. Mafia wasn't fun, people were assholes, he felt targeted, and he just decided to stop. While life was an issue, he was at least willing to work around it but the games themselves weren't very fun for him and so he quit, vowing not to return. He just didn't make a scene about it because he was dedicated to staying away. I respected that and that's why I didn't really say much to basically anyone else.

As for the Mafia Discussion Thread, I'm gonna start that right now. I honestly think it's not that terrible of an idea and like Nabe said, if it is, it'll just die away and we'll never use it again.

:186:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Quite a few people have been asking me to make a post and have been filling up my inbox a bit which is very odd for me haha. I am very thankful, grateful, and blessed that you guys actually miss me or worried about where I have gone off to or why I am decided to retire from SWF mafia for good. (Yes, I honestly do not have any intention of coming back to play mafia on this site) It's actually very odd for me to write this type of post because I do not really know where to begin.

I would like to begin firstly by apologizing if anything offends anyone or comes across as harsh. But I feel since it was asked of me and also because I feel like you guys as a community deserve my full honesty and truth rather than beating around the bush.

What Sworddancer said is true and does play a big part in me leaving is the fact that I am very busy with life and school. I got accepted into the #1 Theatre Education school in the U.S. and I got one of 5 guy spots this year for it. It was really quite shocking to get accepted, but the workload is really intense. Mainly because I have to maintain a B average all around in every class or else. I also have to participate in my extra-ciriculars, then I have work so I am more of a reader. I still read a couple threads here and there and what I've seen happen to this community in the time since I left is just...bad. A big reason is because I am busy, but not honestly the main reason I left. Even though I used to be just as busy, I still tried to play one game here and there.

However, what Laundry said is true. It has nothing to do with what happened in that game personally or any personal reasons regarding that game. It's just I have been a part of this community for a vast amount of years (pretty much 4-5 at this point) and it has just deteriorated past the point where I am comfortable with playing. It seems a great deal of people have seen this and also see that but others just are trying to push the blame onto certain players of the community and that itself is another problem.

This community used to be a friendly and welcoming environment for anyone, and I mean, anyone to join. People did not need to hop through a copious amount of hoops to join or become "decent" or "okay" in the eyes of others. I'm not going to name certain players, but the fact that if someone doesn't "fit in" with the majority here, they are ostracized and basically lynched every game or just made fun of and that is something I abhor a great deal because that is just bullying. Trying to word that any differently is wrong. It is cyber-bullying and disgusting. Someone said earlier that people need to "grow thicker skin" and that just makes me shake my head because that is the mentality that is wrong in society that the person being victimized is to blame because they are "too soft" or "not thick skinned". It hits home pretty hard when that sort of thing is said because since I am training to be an educator I hope to help eradicate those phrases as a valid reason to continue this stagnant and horrendous behavior.

I can say from my personal experience, there were some days that I truly felt hated and bullied from this community just because of the way I talked or the way I acted and not for mafia, but the attacks were very personalized in the past. Like using my gifs to torment me, taking my avatars and making them memes, taking pictures from my facebook page and posting them to the social to convince everyone that I was homosexual (which isn't really an insult, but it was made to attack and make mockery of me), de-masculinizing me because I am not the stereotypical type of male and other things that do not really need to be going into. Everyone says that people just need to grow thicker skin and just move past it, but the fact is as I am an example of just "growing a thicker skin" and "ignoring the hate" and things like that, it has made me cold to the community and sometimes the people here.

The problem with this community is that it has become very "high school" if the phrase makes sense to you guys. What I mean to say, is that you are either one of the cool kids or you are one of the have nots. I can say from personal experience that for a majority of my time here is that I was associated with the have nots because I know I am odd and different than those around. I just wanted a nice community and a good group of people to play a game with it. However, when each game of mafia becomes a place where you have to prove yourself constantly and people are judging both in game and out or holding personal grudges against people because of their personality is just wrong.

Another problem is that this community is 100% only on meta and that's what is also stagnating the community is that people just use "Oh they played like this in X game, do/do not lynch them" and people just go along with that. Whoever has the stronger meta wins cases over actual evidence.

Plus this cascades into the problem of people not liking certain people's approaches to mafia. Everyone plays differently, get over it and yourself if you have a problem with it. The only type of thing that is not cool in a playstyle is attacking the PLAYER and not the gameplay.

Overall a big reason I think the community is faltering more and more is the battle of egos that sometimes comes about in games or the, excuse the vulgarity of the phrase but, "who has a bigger ****?" contest that drives threads. No one likes a sore winner nor a sore loser in games.

Some personal experience to say is that for a majority of the time here in the community, I know I have been on the outside and the butt of a lot of jokes and some of them were really personal attacks at some time. I am a type of person to endure and a major reason I stayed as long as I did was because I was hoping the community would change back into the way it was when I first got here. Sadly, it did not and I just got tired of waiting for something that was truly long gone. I just become saddened whenever I looked at the posts being made and just got fed up.

So my suggestions to help the community begin to thrive? A lot of Nabe's ideas work. I would like to say that this place also needs a cleansing of sort of the negative behavior. I think the addition of another moderator is a great idea. I would actually like to personally throw my hat into the ring as a moderator for this forum because I feel I would be able to help police the negativity that is surrounding the atmosphere and help make things better for this community. If the community itself is finally willing to correct itself on the ways of personal attacks. I have put so much time into this community that I feel it would be bad if I didn't just help in any way possible. I will not be playing games here anymore and since I already read pretty much every game in my spare time I feel it would just go hand in hand with my background posting style I will be doing from now on. I also already help balance some set-ups as is so it would just help out with the....interesting....way the queue is being run now. However, I would just throw my name in here if that idea does become more of a valid option because I can adjust some things and be able to help out.

=============

I would like to end this message with just saying I do not regret my time here at all. I have made some really good friends over the years here that I still talk to and I really do appreciate somethings that this community has done. Again, I am really sorry if I honestly worried any of you with my disappearance and do really appreciate the messages sent to me or the messages posted in this thread. If I am to come back, I am going to come back to help you all out to the best of my ability. I do feel it is best that I refrain out of games though. I also know that a lot of my friends IRL (Like Sang) are not going to be coming back either because of personal things and distaste with the community that I can't convince them to come back.

So please forgive me for worrying and also for saying anything that may have been a bit blunt, but honestly I feel comfortable with posting this and also making a sort of stand to try and help the community blossom back into the days of good.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
As for the Mafia Discussion Thread, I'm gonna start that right now. I honestly think it's not that terrible of an idea and like Nabe said, if it is, it'll just die away and we'll never use it again.

:186:

No but seriously I'm glad you came around to the idea and were willing to jump on it to make it happen. It's something I think we didn't know we were missing until we had a designated place to discuss it.

Last edited:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, I think I'm going to immediately append the rules of my own game to reflect a more stringent policy on personal attacks. I'll let everyone know (or the players will) how it turns out.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Wow you guys are all dumb

Don't worry I've read all your complaints and arguments and I've reached a solution I think will solve all our problems

We cut DGames in half, right down the middle

EDIT: Man **** you guys making this such a serious issue that I feel guilty about making a joke post about it and have to come back and edit it.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Quite a few people have been asking me to make a post and have been filling up my inbox a bit which is very odd for me haha. I am very thankful, grateful, and blessed that you guys actually miss me or worried about where I have gone off to or why I am decided to retire from SWF mafia for good. (Yes, I honestly do not have any intention of coming back to play mafia on this site) It's actually very odd for me to write this type of post because I do not really know where to begin.

I would like to begin firstly by apologizing if anything offends anyone or comes across as harsh. But I feel since it was asked of me and also because I feel like you guys as a community deserve my full honesty and truth rather than beating around the bush.

What Sworddancer said is true and does play a big part in me leaving is the fact that I am very busy with life and school. I got accepted into the #1 Theatre Education school in the U.S. and I got one of 5 guy spots this year for it. It was really quite shocking to get accepted, but the workload is really intense. Mainly because I have to maintain a B average all around in every class or else. I also have to participate in my extra-ciriculars, then I have work so I am more of a reader. I still read a couple threads here and there and what I've seen happen to this community in the time since I left is just...bad. A big reason is because I am busy, but not honestly the main reason I left. Even though I used to be just as busy, I still tried to play one game here and there.

However, what Laundry said is true. It has nothing to do with what happened in that game personally or any personal reasons regarding that game. It's just I have been a part of this community for a vast amount of years (pretty much 4-5 at this point) and it has just deteriorated past the point where I am comfortable with playing. It seems a great deal of people have seen this and also see that but others just are trying to push the blame onto certain players of the community and that itself is another problem.

This community used to be a friendly and welcoming environment for anyone, and I mean, anyone to join. People did not need to hop through a copious amount of hoops to join or become "decent" or "okay" in the eyes of others. I'm not going to name certain players, but the fact that if someone doesn't "fit in" with the majority here, they are ostracized and basically lynched every game or just made fun of and that is something I abhor a great deal because that is just bullying. Trying to word that any differently is wrong. It is cyber-bullying and disgusting. Someone said earlier that people need to "grow thicker skin" and that just makes me shake my head because that is the mentality that is wrong in society that the person being victimized is to blame because they are "too soft" or "not thick skinned". It hits home pretty hard when that sort of thing is said because since I am training to be an educator I hope to help eradicate those phrases as a valid reason to continue this stagnant and horrendous behavior.

I can say from my personal experience, there were some days that I truly felt hated and bullied from this community just because of the way I talked or the way I acted and not for mafia, but the attacks were very personalized in the past. Like using my gifs to torment me, taking my avatars and making them memes, taking pictures from my facebook page and posting them to the social to convince everyone that I was homosexual (which isn't really an insult, but it was made to attack and make mockery of me), de-masculinizing me because I am not the stereotypical type of male and other things that do not really need to be going into. Everyone says that people just need to grow thicker skin and just move past it, but the fact is as I am an example of just "growing a thicker skin" and "ignoring the hate" and things like that, it has made me cold to the community and sometimes the people here.

The problem with this community is that it has become very "high school" if the phrase makes sense to you guys. What I mean to say, is that you are either one of the cool kids or you are one of the have nots. I can say from personal experience that for a majority of my time here is that I was associated with the have nots because I know I am odd and different than those around. I just wanted a nice community and a good group of people to play a game with it. However, when each game of mafia becomes a place where you have to prove yourself constantly and people are judging both in game and out or holding personal grudges against people because of their personality is just wrong.

Another problem is that this community is 100% only on meta and that's what is also stagnating the community is that people just use "Oh they played like this in X game, do/do not lynch them" and people just go along with that. Whoever has the stronger meta wins cases over actual evidence.

Plus this cascades into the problem of people not liking certain people's approaches to mafia. Everyone plays differently, get over it and yourself if you have a problem with it. The only type of thing that is not cool in a playstyle is attacking the PLAYER and not the gameplay.

Overall a big reason I think the community is faltering more and more is the battle of egos that sometimes comes about in games or the, excuse the vulgarity of the phrase but, "who has a bigger ****?" contest that drives threads. No one likes a sore winner nor a sore loser in games.

Some personal experience to say is that for a majority of the time here in the community, I know I have been on the outside and the butt of a lot of jokes and some of them were really personal attacks at some time. I am a type of person to endure and a major reason I stayed as long as I did was because I was hoping the community would change back into the way it was when I first got here. Sadly, it did not and I just got tired of waiting for something that was truly long gone. I just become saddened whenever I looked at the posts being made and just got fed up.

So my suggestions to help the community begin to thrive? A lot of Nabe's ideas work. I would like to say that this place also needs a cleansing of sort of the negative behavior. I think the addition of another moderator is a great idea. I would actually like to personally throw my hat into the ring as a moderator for this forum because I feel I would be able to help police the negativity that is surrounding the atmosphere and help make things better for this community. If the community itself is finally willing to correct itself on the ways of personal attacks. I have put so much time into this community that I feel it would be bad if I didn't just help in any way possible. I will not be playing games here anymore and since I already read pretty much every game in my spare time I feel it would just go hand in hand with my background posting style I will be doing from now on. I also already help balance some set-ups as is so it would just help out with the....interesting....way the queue is being run now. However, I would just throw my name in here if that idea does become more of a valid option because I can adjust some things and be able to help out.

=============

I would like to end this message with just saying I do not regret my time here at all. I have made some really good friends over the years here that I still talk to and I really do appreciate somethings that this community has done. Again, I am really sorry if I honestly worried any of you with my disappearance and do really appreciate the messages sent to me or the messages posted in this thread. If I am to come back, I am going to come back to help you all out to the best of my ability. I do feel it is best that I refrain out of games though. I also know that a lot of my friends IRL (Like Sang) are not going to be coming back either because of personal things and distaste with the community that I can't convince them to come back.

So please forgive me for worrying and also for saying anything that may have been a bit blunt, but honestly I feel comfortable with posting this and also making a sort of stand to try and help the community blossom back into the days of good.
<3 you J, though that was more directed at showing how much the community missed you then getting you to post per say :p.

Speaking of which, I think you'd be absolutely perfect as a new mod for this place, I couldn't think of anyone whose more qualified to cut through the ingroup/outgroup bull**** that we've been dealing with.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I think the addition of another moderator is a great idea. I would actually like to personally throw my hat into the ring as a moderator for this forum because I feel I would be able to help police the negativity that is surrounding the atmosphere and help make things better for this community. If the community itself is finally willing to correct itself on the ways of personal attacks.
#signalboost

JeXs

Smash Champion
So we're going to make J a mod right? That sounds great actually :p

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I don't think a new mod is required. We just need our current mods to get their head out of the sand. There's no reason to add reds at the moment. It isn't like the workload is too much for three people.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Also, I think I'm going to immediately append the rules of my own game to reflect a more stringent policy on personal attacks. I'll let everyone know (or the players will) how it turns out.
dont change rules of an ongoing game lmao..
... Ok I won't do that, wouldn't be fair...

But the next game I run will definitely see that change and we'll find out how deeply it does or doesn't impact the game.
Honestly, it isn't changing the rules. It's just enforcing them. The players accepted them when they joined.

Ashemu

Smash Ace
I'm laughing that swiss got a warning received that post. I guess mods are starting to harp on that **** lopl.
when is badwolf getting warned for this post then: http://smashboards.com/threads/anonco-your-source-of-anonymous-accounts.374729/page-3#post-17848625

this is hypothetical since i dont really care or want him to be (i wasnt offended by it) but lol if that only being a problem when swiss does it isnt a sign of some level of bias. nevermind that i later got infracted for what was a total joke at the expense of league of legends and not badwolf

Ashemu

Smash Ace
yes i realize my argument was "people think being abrasive is bad unless an old famous player does it" like two posts ago

Last edited:

Ashemu

Smash Ace
I guess what I am saying with that is that to me, a lot of people upset here (aside from like, J) come off like they just want to get off defending "the underdog" (hence the double standard with bwolf's post) and probably only warned Swiss to make a point and would go back to not caring within a few weeks.

but what do i know

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
when is badwolf getting warned for this post then: http://smashboards.com/threads/anonco-your-source-of-anonymous-accounts.374729/page-3#post-17848625

this is hypothetical since i dont really care or want him to be (i wasnt offended by it) but lol if that only being a problem when swiss does it isnt a sign of some level of bias. nevermind that i later got infracted for what was a total joke at the expense of league of legends and not badwolf
I didn't touch that situation because I showed up after the fact, but you were clearly the aggressor in that situation and I wouldn't even consider infracting him after the **** you said.
nah i think adding a red is a good idea. plus who are the three? marshy raz and ???. ruys a smod he doesnt count.
There's only Marshy and I unless you count Ruy.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to adding J to the roster for the aforementioned purposes.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I think we're good. Plus, I believe J is busy. It'd be a bother to me that he'd be interfered with that sort of duty. I have no intention from stopping him with his decision though.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I guess what I am saying with that is that to me, a lot of people upset here (aside from like, J) come off like they just want to get off defending "the underdog" (hence the double standard with bwolf's post) and probably only warned Swiss to make a point and would go back to not caring within a few weeks.

but what do i know
oh you're totally right. People are forgetting that Badwolf is often completely abrasive, and a complete asshat. The focus has been on **** like people calling him a horse ****** tho, which is completely unwarranted, no matter how much of a **** bwolf might be sometimes. He's totally been playing "mr. victim", and to be fair he's a target more often than most, but he's not innocent. Nobody here really is. It's kind of the atmosphere we've bred here, which is why we're all having this conversation.

If we're gonna enforce "don't be a ****" rules, it needs to be to everyone. And let's get one thing straight, cuz I feel like a lot of people are missing the point. It's not "Don't be a **** to newbies, or they'll leave". It's "Don't be a ****, at all. Because anyone can still read that ****, and form an opinion of the room based on your behavior."

Ashemu

Smash Ace
somebody being an asshole towards you shouldnt justify being an asshole back.

tbh i only continued that exchange because of the "you're an idiot" post, does that mean all my infractions should be removed? (this is a rhetorical question)

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
somebody being an ******* towards you shouldnt justify being an ******* back.

tbh i only continued that exchange because of the "you're an idiot" post, does that mean all my infractions should be removed? (this is a rhetorical question)
I'm not going to be that ****ty principal that gives the kid getting bullied detention because he pushed back. You all were way out of line.

I'm not engaging you on your hypothetical because it leads nowhere beneficial. You want em reversed, take it up with the mod who issued them.

Top Bottom