• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
10 char ect.

say that there are less resources available because people are less willing to trade and take risks than they were beforehand, it seems plausible that people who are less selective in what they're looking for are more likely to succeed, because the lack of resources doesn't affect them as much.

that being said, i'd be interested to see the data that suggests being more selective was ever a better strategy.

<3

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
while this comment is related to acros post on only a loose level cuz this thoughts been on my mind as of late

from experience id rather make 50k workin a job i enjoy vs 100k on one i hate. the former seems more conducive to advancing in a field in the long run n searchin out prospects likely means playin to yur strengths which also help wit that goal

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
50k a year at a job I enjoy sounds good enough to be fiction. That much at a job I can tolerate would be heavenly.

Regardless of whether or not laser focus actually helps with acquiring a satisfying job, I struggle to see how people in a desperate enough position for the advice to be applicable can afford to commit to that in practice. How does a real person justify narrowing their field of vision when their bank account is getting emptier every day (or has nothing left in it)?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Making a glut of money also has its cons as you get charged a higher tax. They say that the middle class gets the most slack though because they're the ones who pay the tax up front and won't even touch hiring a tax attorney or lawyer per retainer who can hide their income so they don't have to pay as much. Not to mention that certain popular jobs that used to be high risk and high reward i.e. medical physician no longer give out the substantially high rewards due to malpractice and insurance always being on the rise. However, niche risk occupations like the derivatives market and high portfolio investment decision making continues to be a high risk and high reward market due to the market being considerably less scrutinized and managed than the health care complex as a bueracracy.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I still have no idea what I want to do, lol. I put school on hold because I was working such bizarre hours bartending and making around 35-40 an hour so I was content. I left that when it got to be too hectic, unrewarding for the amount I was making. Took some time off since I had money saved and then I'm about to start working at Amazon for right now. 50 hours a week + VOT. Should be pretty sweet. Long days though and I'm working 6:30pm-5am 5 days a week, then voluntary OT on another day for another 10 at time and a half.

But as far as career, I still don't know. :< My college focus was on marketing primarily, but idk.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
currently aiming towards accounting, but that can change. it's a strong vocational skill that i'm not really super passionate about yet but it makes money. i'm willing to compromise job passion for unrelated intrinisic/extrinisic values like a sociable work space with fun people alongside the right salary. i'm probably a bit more passionate about public speaking and customer service, which is why i think i'd make a good consultant, but i just haven't come across the types of options that would really suit me in those fields with high pay. eh we'll see.

i want to make somewhere around 200k a year before i'm 40, and accounting can provide for that. i honestly have no interest making more than that unless it kinda just falls into my lap, i.e. a partnership of sorts. i just want to be able to support myself, my immediate family, and possibly a waifu/kids in the future. i don't think i'll have kids until i have a stable, secure, and awesome environment for them to grow up in with the pretty much mandatory preference of waifu or myself being stay-at-home, which is all the more reason for me to be trying to make phat bank i guess. but any more than 200k is just excessive and unnecessary to me.

if i do have extra money though, i'll prolly invest in real estate or new companies that show promise mostly for fun and to just help people get on their feet; great for networking in terms of getting ur name out there and for expanding business ventures obviously, but also 'cause goodguybardeezy.

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
you need to watch out with extrinisic motivations because when you get extrinsic rewards for things you usually do for its own sake aka intrinsic then your intrinsic motivation will literally just go away.

i.e. you like reading book, if someone starts paying you 10 bucks per book you read for a month, afterwards your intrinsic motivation to read books can be mostly dissipated.

actually did a lot of research into this recently (mainly for school) and its super interesting, but also kind of scary lol

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
money comes no matter watchu do. nobody NEEDS to live luxiouriously. if youre doin watchu love n lovin how you live 'sall good #starvingmusicianandproud #butnotreallystarvingcuzimrich #butnotreallyrich #lowermiddleclasslife #420

BarDulL

Town Vampire
you need to watch out with extrinisic motivations because when you get extrinsic rewards for things you usually do for its own sake aka intrinsic then your intrinsic motivation will literally just go away.

i.e. you like reading book, if someone starts paying you 10 bucks per book you read for a month, afterwards your intrinsic motivation to read books can be mostly dissipated.

actually did a lot of research into this recently (mainly for school) and its super interesting, but also kind of scary lol
intrinsic motivations can also be problematic in the sense that if you enjoy your work too much in spite of ur pay then you'll get rekt financially for instance and won't progress in terms of tangible assets. balance is definitely key tho

@ #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf , find some way to toast walrus for a living #Kappa

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC

Some related material:

One More Time: How Do You Motivate Employees?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
intrinsic motivations can also be problematic in the sense that if you enjoy your work too much in spite of ur pay then you'll get rekt financially for instance and won't progress in terms of tangible assets. balance is definitely key tho

@ #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf , find some way to toast walrus for a living #Kappa
I would disagree on philosophical basis but realistically if you have so little money from your "fun" job that you can't enjoy much else something went wrong lmao

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
How is anybody gonna come in here and pretend they don't like money c'mon.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I would disagree on philosophical basis but realistically if you have so little money from your "fun" job that you can't enjoy much else something went wrong lmao
it's not just money. social networking and some other stuff comes along with extrinsic content. but it really depends; if you absolutely give no ****s and are content with pulling in 60k a year or so from a job you love that is flowing with intrinsic value, then yea, that's fine.

think about it like this: i ****ing love animals dude. i really do. dogs are the cutest mother****ers on the planet. taking care of animals and volunteering has tons of intrinsic value in terms of task significance anf fulfillment for me. but the extrinsic value that comes from doing it is squat atypically speaking. i want to have a car, a nice house, and live in a comfortable and nice neighborhood while supporting my family with some luxury spending money on the side. you can have all the damn intrinsic motivation in the world for doing a job, but you can't support your wife and kids unless there's enough extrinsic motivation at play. there are needs that simply aren't being met in my case if i abide by a job with little extrinsic motivation.

another clear example of someone who cares too much about intrinsic value is the starving artist. some artists will simply refuse to do any other job unless it's art...but it's so silly and inherently flawed to just not take up a job as a teacher for instance when you're not making any money.

Last edited:

we thuggin

marshy|Sold2
im amused that bard came in here sayin he wants to b an accountant which is my current job i was referring to that is closer to the "hate" side of the spectrum (tho hates 2 strong a word). not that i dont see the #cashmoneydollabills in it. id b lyin if i said the thought of doing the same thing when i leave the usmc hasnt crossed my mind for just that reason

hopefully flipping/hunting numbers n dicing up excel sheets isnt as mind numbing for yu

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
accounting pays the bills
make sure you get your CPA asap
i'm 27 and had a rough start out of college aka recession. worked for two lame companies before landing my first real accounting gig but im making $75K at the moment.
as long as your job environment is good and filled with good people, almost any profession that you're using for monies is cool.

edit: oh ggs no re

Last edited:

Handorin

Smash Hero
currently aiming towards accounting, but that can change. it's a strong vocational skill that i'm not really super passionate about yet but it makes money. i'm willing to compromise job passion for unrelated intrinisic/extrinisic values like a sociable work space with fun people alongside the right salary. i'm probably a bit more passionate about public speaking and customer service, which is why i think i'd make a good consultant, but i just haven't come across the types of options that would really suit me in those fields with high pay. eh we'll see.

i want to make somewhere around 200k a year before i'm 40, and accounting can provide for that. i honestly have no interest making more than that unless it kinda just falls into my lap, i.e. a partnership of sorts. i just want to be able to support myself, my immediate family, and possibly a waifu/kids in the future. i don't think i'll have kids until i have a stable, secure, and awesome environment for them to grow up in with the pretty much mandatory preference of waifu or myself being stay-at-home, which is all the more reason for me to be trying to make phat bank i guess. but any more than 200k is just excessive and unnecessary to me.

if i do have extra money though, i'll prolly invest in real estate or new companies that show promise mostly for fun and to just help people get on their feet; great for networking in terms of getting ur name out there and for expanding business ventures obviously, but also 'cause goodguybardeezy.
Forget accounting, go finance like me. Well, I guess you can study accounting and go into a finance field, but why do that.

Finance is all the fun work accounting doesn't get. You learn how to read financial statements, but you learn what to do with them. You keep up with the markets, geopolitics and all sorts of stuff to keep you involved with reality. With a CFA and 10yrs experiance, you could be making 250k a year or so.

Alternatively, you could go into financial planning/advising. That will get you into the customer service and public works that you love. CFA is still a great thing to have here, but a CFP will do and is more specific to being a financial planner.

EDIT: @ Omni Omni play Five Nights at Freddy's next if you want to do a scary game.

Last edited:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Friday the 13th for the NES scared the poop outta' me so I'm sure this will completely empty my bowels.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Uhm, silly and inherently flawed are not the words I would describe for that, but I get what you're getting at.
idk man, if you'd rather cast aside even a part time gig job offer while in pursuit of passion making $0 while ur at it, that's pretty silly to me. most artists actually will work as waiters/teachers etc. while pursuing their passion, but for some...zzz.

Forget accounting, go finance like me. Well, I guess you can study accounting and go into a finance field, but why do that.

Finance is all the fun work accounting doesn't get. You learn how to read financial statements, but you learn what to do with them. You keep up with the markets, geopolitics and all sorts of stuff to keep you involved with reality. With a CFA and 10yrs experiance, you could be making 250k a year or so.

Alternatively, you could go into financial planning/advising. That will get you into the customer service and public works that you love. CFA is still a great thing to have here, but a CFP will do and is more specific to being a financial planner.

EDIT: @ Omni Omni play Five Nights at Freddy's next if you want to do a scary game.
i will definitely do some research on this, thanks for the tip hando

Last edited:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Artists working on the side is so they can actually live, not because they want to. If their art picks up and they can support themself without their side job, they'll quit it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Let me just rant real quick cuz i see a lot of League players do this and its fkin ********.

"Zzz" is not "sleepy/bored/whatever", its cuz when koreans laugh (kekekeke) its the same key as where "z" is for us. "Zzz" = "hahaha". Geez.

Last edited:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Let me just rant real quick cuz i see a lot of League players do this and its fkin ********.

"Zzz" is not "sleepy/bored/whatever", its cuz when koreans laugh (kekekeke) its the same key as where "z" is for us. "Zzz" = "hahaha". Geez.
TIL.

It always confused me what zzz was supposed to portray

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Artists working on the side is so they can actually live, not because they want to. If their art picks up and they can support themself without their side job, they'll quit it.
yes this is obvious...what i'm saying is that there are people who will deliberately forgo working in anything except art, when they could at least get a part time gig. they end up mooching off their parents or relatives instead to sustain their behavior...or worse, living on the streets. pisses me off. anyway we're talking about why too much intrinsic motivation can be a bad thing.

read the thread next time kantplay

cry about it nerd

also it most definitely is most commonly used as a means of portraying sleep/boredom...wtf are you talking about LOL that **** has been in american comics for instance since forever

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
yeah sure taught me not to post insightful comments on the human psyche in a thread dedicated to social justice rants

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
yeah sure teached me not to post insightful comments on the human psyche in a thread dedicated to social justice rants
we're definitely not on the same page anymore LOL (were we ever?)

but it's cool man

p.s. past tense of 'teach' is 'taught' (just an insightful comment regarding the english language i swearz)

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
i threw that sarcastic remark out there because i assumed you were trolling
but
i guess
my opinion of you is still set too high
the best trolling is when they think you think they think that you aren't trolling though

ok i'm calling a truce because we could go on for days

BarDulL

Town Vampire
when your art goes unnoticed you ****ed up, dumpy
i would disagree on a philosophical basis but realistically if you're getting too much attention from trolling then something went wrong lmao (!!!!!)

tfw the thread finally realizes we jointly clogged it up on purpose

I'M OUT

Last edited:
Top Bottom