• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Gorf, the long and short of it is this: If you think Neil Patrick Harris is a "respectable gay," I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably because he passes pretty well in the straight world. He doesn't "flaunt it." His gayness isn't really something you ever see, it's just like a miscellaneous fact about him. It is bad that this is the way you have to be in order to be respected. That straight people judge gay people as "good ones" and "bad ones." Not even in terms of ethics or values, but because of how we dress or speak, or whether or not we dare to kiss our significant others in a place where straight eyes might see it! If your definition of a respectable gay person is one who basically looks, walks and talks like a stereotypical straight person and never expresses his or her sexuality in any tangible way just to make sure you never even accidentally need to recognize it, then the problem is with you and no one else.
I'm just going to be the guy that says gays who "flaunt it" aka who are being obnoxious have made it this way more than anything else. I live in the Netherlands and being gay here is perfectly fine, I can't even count the amount of gay friends I have on my fingers. However, some people are just way obnoxious. "HAYYYYYYY NICE SHOESSS GURRRRRRRRRRL" at volume 110 at 8am middle of the hallway? I don't care if you're gay or straight, boy or girl, that **** is OBNOXIOUS. And from my experience, that kinda **** gets done by obnoxious male gays more often than any other combination of sexual orientation and gender combination. Note: That doesn't make him a "bad gay" (because that's something you're just pushing on ALL STRAIGHT PEOPLE which is ****ing nuts), but from my experience this is the fact of the matter. Some gays are obnoxious about it. Some women are obnoxious about their bitchiness (cause some are) and some guys are obnoxious about their sexist jokes (cause some are). It's a stereotype that exists for a reason, because some male gays ARE obnoxious in a very specific way.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'm just going to be the guy that says gays who "flaunt it" aka who are being obnoxious have made it this way more than anything else. I live in the Netherlands and being gay here is perfectly fine, I can't even count the amount of gay friends I have on my fingers. However, some people are just way obnoxious. "HAYYYYYYY NICE SHOESSS GURRRRRRRRRRL" at volume 110 at 8am middle of the hallway? I don't care if you're gay or straight, boy or girl, that **** is OBNOXIOUS. And from my experience, that kinda **** gets done by obnoxious male gays more often than any other combination of sexual orientation and gender combination. Note: That doesn't make him a "bad gay" (because that's something you're just pushing on ALL STRAIGHT PEOPLE which is ****ing nuts), but from my experience this is the fact of the matter. Some gays are obnoxious about it. Some women are obnoxious about their *****iness (cause some are) and some guys are obnoxious about their sexist jokes (cause some are). It's a stereotype that exists for a reason, because some male gays ARE obnoxious.
Once again, this is an example of gay people needing to conform to a straight norm in order to gain respect, which is bull****. You literally have the audacity to say "gays who 'flaunt it'...have made it this way more than anything else," then complain about me painting straight people with too broad a brush. If you're problem is with guys who think their sexuality gives them the right to act like an asshole and judge or insult other people (a'la Perez Hilton), then you and I do not disagree. That's just an awful type of human being. But the example you gave was not of that. You're example is simply am excitable, feminine guy. THAT kind of person, does not deserve your ire. Dissecting a fictional person can be a pretty messy task, so I won't get into why this hypothetical effeminate gay man deserves respect specifically. I'll just say that expecting that guy to change himself because of how his personality affects you is symptom of straight privilege, which is exactly the problem. You don't have to like or get along with everybody. If that's not a personality type that you find yourself compatible with, that's more than fine. But the solution to that is simply to live separate lives. Not to stigmatize that person into changing themselves into something that the straight world finds more acceptable to deal with.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Apparently I didn't feel like hitting enter either. Sometimes natural paragraph breaks just don't feel like revealing themselves, I guess.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
we talking about gay people

I know like two of them so I consider myself a subject matter expert

they cool

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Do I need to make a post or are we good?

I feel like there's a bit of confusion between people who are annoying and/or indecent in public, and people who are gay.

Ashemu

Smash Ace
ok am i liek teh onl yperson here who wouldnt want to see a het (or lesbain or w/e) couple eat cake off eachother either. that **** touched human skin and is permanently tainted

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Haha, well, I just felt his examples were slightly off. He was asking if two random men should be as respected as two white, male, hetero celebs. I think regardless of your sexuel orientation, you will find the first picture revolting. The second random guy, while ridiculous, would garner the same amount of respect as the other two and certainly more than the first guy. Although, the celebrities are more likely to be respected (read: followed, supported) for no particular reason other than they are famous. That's beside the point though.
I find the first picture pretty hilarious to be honest. It's something about the full beard with the kinda kids school outfit. I might feel a bit differently if I was there in person, but at the end of the day I'm not gonna feel horrified just because I saw a guy's butt.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Do I need to make a post or are we good? I feel like there's a bit of confusion between people who are annoying and/or indecent in public, and people who are gay.
Circus is being irrational and trying to establish thread power.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Once again, this is an example of gay people needing to conform to a straight norm in order to gain respect, which is bull****.
No. This is an example of gay people not needing to be obnoxious, just like the rest of the world. This is just the stereotypical example of "gay obnoxiousness", just like examples exist for ****** obnoxiousness, or **** jokes obnoxioussness.

You literally have the audacity to say "gays who 'flaunt it'...have made it this way more than anything else,"
I was simply using your wording. Excuse you.

then complain about me painting straight people with too broad a brush.
That said, even if that was my intent, me being a hypocrite does not a bad argument make. Sorry boo.

If you're problem is with guys who think their sexuality gives them the right to act like an ******* and judge or insult other people (a'la Perez Hilton), then you and I do not disagree. That's just an awful type of human being. But the example you gave was not of that. You're example is simply am excitable, feminine guy. THAT kind of person, does not deserve your ire.
Except that's up to me to decide. If an excitable feminine guy is ruining my morning then hell yeah he deserves my ire. If a ****** girl ******* at me in the morning she deserves my ire. If some guy tries to talk down to me when I'm feeling meh then he deserves my ire.
To clarify on the previous point you made, no, it's not just about people who think their sexuality gives them the right to act like an asshole. That's part of it. The thing I'm talking about here is that some gay people have this tendency to out obnoxiousness in a similar way, which creates a stereotype, and I'm telling you that this stereotype exists because it's not entirely uncommon to see this happening.

I'll just say that expecting that guy to change himself because of how his personality affects you is symptom of straight privilege, which is exactly the problem. You don't have to like or get along with everybody.
Yeah, let's throw buzzwords at it. Straight privilege my ass. Public decency is what I'm looking for. Don't be an obnoxious ass. That goes for everyone, but once again, obnoxious gays have a tendency to be obnoxious in the same way, which creates a stereotype that a lot of people cling on to. Frat boys have a tendency to be obnoxious in the same way, which creates a stereotype that a lot of people cling on to. These exist for a reason, there's a core of truth to it.

edit: im editing some wording because its late which means my english has gone to ****

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
ok am i liek teh onl yperson here who wouldnt want to see a het (or lesbain or w/e) couple eat cake off eachother either. that **** touched human skin and is permanently tainted
Mysophobia? Never understood that one. That said I'm not big into lesbians anymore really, dunno, so I'm here with ya bro. I am into eating food off of other people's body though ;;

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
No he isn't. If anything he is a little consumed by righteous fury, but i'm sure he will be fine.
His commentary in response to Nabe and Xonar is utterly irrational. I like Circus. I get the point that people want to let him go with acting like this so they don't offend him. But there is no sugar coatingnthe actual content of what people are actually bringing to the table.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I can't tell if this is the worst or best timing for a post like that.

On the one hand, I love seeing you trying to bring back some levity to the thread as only you can, Nabe.

On the other, Righteously Indignant Circus has his head in his hands, because this is a fine example of the double standard I'm talking about. Gay implications are great for jokes, but real discussion that cuts to the heart of some actual cultural issues is apparently so uncomfortable that the knee-jerk reaction is to just charge past it instead of resolving it. Stuff's great for a lark, but if anybody starts talking about the problems, eh, we have the luxury of just switching topics rather than confronting it.

And yes, I'm well aware of what a ****ing bummer I am. I wish I didn't have to be, but this is important.
For what it's worth, if you were part of a hydra ("No Homo") that set out to be exceedingly hetero and made fun of those stereotypes, I would make jokes about how you were sittin' back on the couch watching football and yellin' at the wife for a sandwich and making damn sure you didn't touch knees with your fellow bro on the couch. And I'd do it regardless of what was going on at the time.

You know you're right. I know you're right. Ignore Gorf for once, and let's you and me go around back and knock the bottom out.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Okay, now I'm pretty convinced you're trolling me.
I can't tell if this is the worst or best timing for a post like that.

On the one hand, I love seeing you trying to bring back some levity to the thread as only you can, Nabe.

On the other, Righteously Indignant Circus has his head in his hands, because this is a fine example of the double standard I'm talking about. Gay implications are great for jokes, but real discussion that cuts to the heart of some actual cultural issues is apparently so uncomfortable that the knee-jerk reaction is to just charge past it instead of resolving it. Stuff's great for a lark, but if anybody starts talking about the problems, eh, we have the luxury of just switching topics rather than confronting it.

And yes, I'm well aware of what a ****ing bummer I am. I wish I didn't have to be, but this is important.
You recognize that Gorf is trolling and you still walk into it and then you run headlong into Xonar who half wants to get his point across (which I think you missed on your first swing) and half just wants to argue so he can argue. Especially if he thinks he's right. Important subject aside, are you sure you picked the right place to fight for it?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Certainly a little consumed by righteous fury.
No. This is an example of gay people not needing to be obnoxious, just like the rest of the world. This is just the stereotypical example of "gay obnoxiousness", just like *****y obnoxiousness, or **** jokes obnoxioussness.
The difference is that you deal with most obnoxious people individually, and usually passively, rather than attributing a trait to the group at large and saying "well, the obnoxious gays are the reason people don't have respect for gays as a whole, and their obnoxiousness is their fault, so the lack of respect for gay people in society is also their fault."

How 'bout people just come in lots of flavors, and if you don't like the way some of them taste, you can just leave them alone instead of demanding that every ice cream be changed to vanilla?

Except that's up to me to decide. If an excitable feminine guy is ruining my morning then hell yeah he deserves my ire. If a *****y girl *****es at me in the morning she deserves my ire. If some guy tries to talk down to me when I'm feeling meh then he deserves my ire
To clarify on the previous point you made, no, it's not just about people who think their sexuality gives them the right to act like an *******. That's part of it. The thing I'm talking about here is that some gay people have this tendency to out obnoxiousness in a similar way, which creates a stereotype, and I'm telling you that this stereotype exists because it's not entirely uncommon to see this happening.
And I'm saying that though the stereotype my come from a place of truth, that still doesn't mean that you get to dictate which kinds of personalities are or are not acceptable. If someone is ruining your morning by minding their own business, then the problem lies with you, not them. If they're directly in your face about something, that's a different conversation altogether.

Yeah, let's throw buzzwords at it. Straight privilege my ***. Public decency is what I'm looking for. Don't be an obnoxious ***. That goes for everyone, but once again, obnoxious gays have a tendency to be obnoxious in the same way, which creates a stereotype that a lot of people cling on to. Frat boys have a tendency to be obnoxious in the same way, which creates a stereotype that a lot of people cling on to. These exist for a reason, there's a core of truth to it.
You can dismiss them as buzzwords, but I'm speaking the truth. Straight privilege is the expectation of others to conform to traits and values that you naturally feel more comfortable in yourself. In fact, this is not just expected, but often demanded. It is that idea that the popular straight opinion should dictate what is normal, thereby deciding what is abnormal and ripe for mockery or shaming.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
His commentary in response to Nabe and Xonar is utterly irrational. I like Circus. I get the point that people want to let him go with acting like this so they don't offend him. But there is no sugar coatingnthe actual content of what people are actually bringing to the table.
I don't see it as irrational. Unreasonable, maybe, because I think Circus is more annoyed in general than he is with the people posting.
But don't ****ing tell me we're afraid of offending Circus.

If Xonie's point is that annoying people are annoying, he didn't need to bring it up.
If he thinks gays are a least partially responsible for a society that routinely screens and judges people for 'gayness', he probably needs a ****ing history lesson.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You recognize that Gorf is trolling and you still walk into it and then you run headlong into Xonar who half wants to get his point across (which I think you missed on your first swing) and half just wants to argue so he can argue. Especially if he thinks he's right. Important subject aside, are you sure you picked the right place to fight for it?
I don't pick a place to fight. That's part of the point. For some reason, gay people get told that we picked a fight, or that we are making too big a deal out of something, when we were never the ones who wanted to.

If Gorf is trolling, or Xonar just wants to argue, then I'm happy to give them the opportunity, because the sad fact is that their arguments very much exist in real places elsewhere. If it doesn't get challenged, it's seen as okay. If Xonar wants to argue with me when I'm talking about basic human respect, then he's more than welcome to. I can't dismiss what they're saying just because they personally might think this is all a big joke, because that in and of itself is part of the problem.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You guys offend me all the time.

That's why this conversation is happening right now.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The fact of the matter is, Acro, every time I get into a discussion like this, I hate it. I ****ing hate it. I never want to do it. I like and respect a lot of the people here and the last thing I'm going to do is look for a reason to make them ****ing roll their eyes when they see me post. If you think I say the things I say because of some misguided search for a power trip, you could not be more mistaken. It takes courage for me to ever speak up on **** like this, because I'm very much aware that much of what I'm saying is going to be ignored at best, or met with direct animosity at worst. And I would be a ****ing maniac to want that.

The only reason I bother is because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't. Because people still post videos like that kissing video and say **** like "so I don't generally have a problem with gays or anything, but this is pretty gross." I live in that ****ing world right now. Where people think it's their business to cast judgement on the innocuous little ways other people choose to live their lives. So a dude smeared cake on his boyfriend's face and kissed him. WHO CARES? Just because a camera filmed it doesn't mean you were forced to watch it. And just because you saw it doesn't mean it's any of your business. Like, live and let live, for real.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
sometimes im a little scared by how well you know me

The difference is that you deal with most obnoxious people individually, and usually passively, rather than attributing a trait to the group at large and saying "well, the obnoxious gays are the reason people don't have respect for gays as a whole, and their obnoxiousness is their fault, so the lack of respect for gay people in society is also their fault."
But did I? No. I'm saying it's a two-way street. On one hand, it's society being terrible about it. On the other hand, it is also some gay people giving them something to latch on to. []

To go back to the original point, which was this one guy passing as a "good gay" (which you think is how straight people label gays apparently, talk about victimizing yourself)... Yes, I do think people are more accepted when they do not conform to negative stereotypes. Is it unfair that they have to avoid a certain set of character traits just because they're part of a group with a stereotype and should they conform to it people will point and yell "I told you so!"? No, it's not unfair at all. there's a reason this stereotype exists and it's because people dislike it in general, so for the sake of public decency, shape the **** up. Be a "good gay" or whatever by not being obnoxious the same way the stereotype is just like you should be a "good guy" by not talking about your **** all the time like the stereotype around strange people. If you are that way naturally, then by all means be that way, but don't expect everyone to like you while you're at it, there's a reason people refer to that stereotype in a negative way.

How 'bout people just come in lots of flavors, and if you don't like the way some of them taste, you can just leave them alone instead of demanding that every ice cream be changed to vanilla?
Nah, not every ice cream. But if you want to be eaten, don't expect the people that like vanilla to eat your chocolate-flavored ass. Don't go telling them "hey chocolate is a flavor just like vanilla, you should like both >: ("

And I'm saying that though the stereotype my come from a place of truth, that still doesn't mean that you get to dictate which kinds of personalities are or are not acceptable. If someone is ruining your morning by minding their own business, then the problem lies with you, not them. If they're directly in your face about something, that's a different conversation altogether.
Yeah, and I agree, what I'm saying is that they shouldn't go around telling people not to dislike them for doing that, just because that's who they are.

You can dismiss them as buzzwords, but I'm speaking the truth. Straight privilege is the expectation of others to conform to traits and values that you naturally feel more comfortable in yourself. In fact, this is not just expected, but often demanded. It is that idea that the popular straight opinion should dictate what is normal, thereby deciding what is abnormal and ripe for mockery or shaming.
Uhm, I don't see how sexual orientation has anything to do with that.

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
honestly circus i think at this point were pretty much agreeing and honestly i admire the way you stand up for this kinda stuff every time knowing full well that in the end its pointless to try to remove stereotypes, start small and never underestimate exponential growth etc.

that said sometimes i wonder if youve been brainwashed by tumblr
(jk)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Well, I've got a pretty big post typed up but **** it. I can't anymore.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
You don't agree with him Xonar lol. Well, if I understand it correctly, anyways.

I think what Circus is going for is that you're saying certain homosexuals cling to stereotypes when in reality they don't. If it was a heterosexual acting the exact same way, you wouldn't call them an obnoxious gay for acting in the gay stereotype. I've had an array of straight friends act that way, and that's just how they are as individuals.

When people are being downgraded for acting "stereotypically gay", it's kind of an issue. I know you're not meaning it in that way, but it's definitely a huge issue, and I can see where Circus is coming from. Instead of saying that someone is obnoxiously gay, you can just say someone is being obnoxious, because in reality straight people can act in the exact same way. There are obnoxious people regardless of x, y, or z, and it's kind of wrong to categorize them based on a specific population of people.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You don't agree with him Xonar lol. Well, if I understand it correctly, anyways.

I think what Circus is going for is that you're saying certain homosexuals cling to stereotypes when in reality they don't. If it was a heterosexual acting the exact same way, you wouldn't call them an obnoxious gay for acting in the gay stereotype. I've had an array of straight friends act that way, and that's just how they are as individuals.

When people are being downgraded for acting "stereotypically gay", it's kind of an issue. I know you're not meaning it in that way, but it's definitely a huge issue, and I can see where Circus is coming from. Instead of saying that someone is obnoxiously gay, you can just say someone is being obnoxious, because in reality straight people can act in the exact same way. There are obnoxious people regardless of x, y, or z, and it's kind of wrong to categorize them based on a specific population of people.
They're not being downgraded for acting stereotypically gay. They're being downgraded for being obnoxious, the name given to that in this case "stereotypically gay". That seems to be pretty much what you're saying though so hey. (also for the record, I would say that your straight friends would be acting gay, because if they conform to the gay stereotype in behavior then yes, they are acting gay)

For the record Circus, I am legitimately curious as to what the "straight" part in "straight privilege" means.

Also fun discussion to be having while July checks this thread for the first time in forever. Hi July!

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
The reason why it's called "straight" privilege is because there are privileges that heterosexuals have that other sexualities simply do not have. Similar to white privilege, male privilege, class privilege, christian privilege, etc.

This may only be the case in certain countries, though. For example, Christian privilege may not occur in countries where Christianity isn't the dominant religion. I dunno I'm not the brightest. XD

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well this whole "male priv" and whatever business is honestly relatively new to me but I don't get it. From what I can gather everyone has their own privilege but different groups use it to victimize themselves, i.e. how black people can use the word ****** and white people have an easier time getting a job or whatever the actual idea is. I still don't think straight privilege is a particularily strong one but okay guess it's a thing amongst certain groups regardless.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
It's really big in America. I honestly think it may not be a problem in the Netherlands. Privileges are very location dependent imo.

On the other hand... privilege is kind of difficult to grasp if you're not a part of the minority.

The most common examples come from White Privilege. If you're white, you walk around a grocery store or gas station and no one looks at you. On the other hand, if you're black, you do the same thing and the clerk stares you down making sure you don't steal something. If you're white, you walk down the street and no one does a thing. If you're black, people avoid you, double lock their car doors if they're sitting in the car parked on the side of the sidewalk, and generally make sure to not have any contact with you at all. If you're white, you don't have to worry about getting jobs or anything. If you're black, then you have to worry about your race being a reason why you did or didn't get the job.

Straight privilege specifically is a big thing in the United States because there are states that can fire people for being gay via religious reasons along with the whole marriage thing. Also, since marriage isn't legalized everywhere here, there are a lot of benefits homosexuals are missing out on that are affecting the community as a whole (the biggest one in my opinion is being able to see your loved one if they're hospitalized). There are an array of things that heterosexuals simply don't have to worry about that non-heterosexuals do.

I could understand not understanding privileges if they're not a big issue where you live. They're just bad in the US.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I don't pick a place to fight. That's part of the point. For some reason, gay people get told that we picked a fight, or that we are making too big a deal out of something, when we were never the ones who wanted to.
The ****? I will say the same thing to anyone that walked into those two about anything. I didn't say that you (gay people) picked a bad fight. I said that you (Circus) picked a bad fight.

Top Bottom