• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Smoking marijuana

The first time I got caught by my parents smoking was when I was high on spice, n my reaction to it was replacing out of the game I was currently in and, while still madly stoned, mentioning that I was caught smoking some weed, and I think it was marshy or zv that had modedited the post to say that i was TOASTING some WALRUS, and after that it just stuck lol. talking about smoking weed is against forum policy so toasting walrus is the coined term.

btw inb4 this gets edited
lol i remember this. some1 pointed out the post to me but i didnt wanna edit it out completely for the sake of not killin the conversation. i asked zv what he thought i should do and if there was any other way we can refer to it without axing it completely and he suggested that. it was funny cuz i didnt kno yu at the time so when i went to edit it i thot you might get mad but instead (toasting walrus? dafuq this guy talkin bout?) you found it hilarious and you started usin it and it spread and thus toastin walrus was born for the masses to enjoy!

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Honestly, I understood what "toasting walrus" meant the first time I read it. Context says a lot. I just assumed it was Gorf's own personal term he coined to avoid directly referencing drugs, but the actual story behind it is much better.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
So this ***** Ranmaru spends like a good hour or so with me trying to come up with a hydra name. We finally end up settling on his suggestion of "Elementality". He picks out an avatar and everything. So he asks zv to make the hydra but zv tells him the name's already taken. Month later we're tryna come up with a new name and he suddenly realizes that HE was the one that made the taken Elementality account. A year before. A hydra with Acrostic. With the exact same avatar we were going to use. smfh.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Honestly, I understood what "toasting walrus" meant the first time I read it. Context says a lot. I just assumed it was Gorf's own personal term he coined to avoid directly referencing drugs, but the actual story behind it is much better.
Damn so people didn't even use "toasting walrus" during my hiatus, y'all suck how can I count on you to keep my legacy alive when I die :c?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Damn so people didn't even use "toasting walrus" during my hiatus, y'all suck how can I count on you to keep my legacy alive when I die :c?
they might have? I think anyone talking on that subject probably refers to it that way, it's just that... nobody else talks about toasting walrus quite as much as you.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Did anyone see that video of the openly gay football player getting drafted into the NFL? By the end when he starts making out with/eating the cake off his boyfriend's face I'm sure he could have been just as easily casted for a gay snuff film, like c'mon we didn't need to see all that we get it the guy is gay and he's happy he made it into the NFL just cuz the cameras are rolling doesn't mean the whole world has to watch everything on it -.-

And before anything, yes Circus, I DO think it'd be too much if it were a straight couple, but I don't think it'd be shown if it were a straight couple for the mere fact that it wouldn't be as much of an interesting thing to see.
I like that I've become such buzzkill around here that you feel the need to preemptively Circus-proof your posts.

I'm pretty much with Zen here. Straight people show PDA all the time, on and off camera. In fact, that cake-smash-kiss thing that occurs in the video is such a common practice at straight weddings it's become a movie cliche. Yeah, I'm sure this football player guy is getting extra attention for something like this because, especially in the world of sports and football specifically, being openly gay is a very uncommon thing. Not all of that attention is good though. Case in point: your post. You're right that a straight couple kissing would not be "as much of an interesting thing to see," but consider why that is: two people of the same gender kissing is more interesting because it's less commonly seen; it's less commonly seen because there's a stigma attached to being gay that is not attached to being straight. You know how you get rid of that stigma? By normalizing diverse sexualities. You know how you do that? By showing **** like what you saw in that video in mainstream media.

In general, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the "stop shoving 'the gay thing' down our throats!" crowd (no pun intended). The world already caters to cishet people implicitly. And yet, a single instance in which something—a video, an article, a song, whatever—is produced that isn't created specifically for them, suddenly their world seems saturated with it. It's laughable. Do you know how many instances of straight PDA I've seen in my life? Countless. Know how many times I've been bothered by it enough to complain about it? Zero.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Gorgeous I want you to know that I use Toasting Walrus to refer to it with real life friends occasionally.

I also want you to know that my phone autocorrects Gorf to Gorgeous.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I like that I've become such buzzkill around here that you feel the need to preemptively Circus-proof your posts.

I'm pretty much with Zen here. Straight people show PDA all the time, on and off camera. In fact, that cake-smash-kiss thing that occurs in the video is such a common practice at straight weddings it's become a movie cliche. Yeah, I'm sure this football player guy is getting extra attention for something like this because, especially in the world of sports and football specifically, being openly gay is a very uncommon thing. Not all of that attention is good though. Case in point: your post. You're right that a straight couple kissing would not be "as much of an interesting thing to see," but consider why that is: two people of the same gender kissing is more interesting because it's less commonly seen; it's less commonly seen because there's a stigma attached to being gay that is not attached to being straight. You know how you get rid of that stigma? By normalizing diverse sexualities. You know how you do that? By showing **** like what you saw in that video in mainstream media.
Who said that a straight couple doing that would be okay? I think there are certain things that shouldn't be publicized to the point of showing it on god damn national television, and affection with your significant other for affection's sake is one of them. It's not a story with a straight couple because it's so common, yes, and I wouldn't have had something to say about it cuz if it was a straight couple it wouldn't have had a deal made of it at all. I know this and you know this. If they had showed the unedited ACTUAL reaction to being drafted where he repeatedly kisses his boyfriend after hearing that the Rams picked em, then it would have just been another reaction video. I ACTUALLY feel that way because objectivity is a thing. The cake thing is ESPN saying "we're so okay with a gay couple being in the NFL that we're gonna film em eating cake off of each other!" When is it too much Circus? When ESPN follows them to the bedroom and films them humping each other? I'm sure the whole world knows he got laid that night. No need to see it on camera.

Circus said:
In general, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the "stop shoving 'the gay thing' down our throats!" crowd (no pun intended). The world already caters to cishet people implicitly. And yet, a single instance in which something—a video, an article, a song, whatever—is produced that isn't created specifically for them, suddenly their world seems saturated with it. It's laughable. Do you know how many instances of straight PDA I've seen in my life? Countless. Know how many times I've been bothered by it enough to complain about it? Zero.
This is really ****in bold of you to say Circus. Is your stance on the topic really "**** you straighties we're gay and we're here to stay so DEAL WITH IT," cuz that's how it's coming across, like the gay Black Panther (without the killin and stuff). The whole argument of "stop shoving the gay thing down our throats" is a whole other avenue than this one, and one that really just seems like gay people trying to stoop down to the ****ty straight people's levels. This is a matter of me not liking the fact that people are going to fake being okay with that video being nationally broadcasted because it's a gay couple, when in reality, if I saw that **** in my living room, whatever type of couple it may be, I'd tell the couple to cut it out. Now sure, that part is just me, except it's not just me it's everyone watching the draft.

Now, let me ask you on the "stop shoving the gay thing down our throats" topic. Do you think this guy:

deserves as much respect as this guy:

Conversely, do you think this guy:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
honestly looking at the reasoning behind it that gay kiss was pure publicity. wow a gay nba player wow wow and he kissed another guy on tv wow chill out television you might show something real for once

but in the end it only happened because it'd increase the popularity
and it did

i mean to be fair its because its a gay kiss that it can gain popularity which says enough about society lmao

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I don't see anything obscene or potentially wrong to not show in that video Gorf posted. I thought it was cute.

#HBC | ѕoup

No, I'm just perfectly comfortable with my sexuality to openly think that two people of the same gender are allowed to show affection to one another because love is something that should not predetermined by gender and while I consider myself heterosexual, there is nothing to be offended about.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

gorf you should get a tumblr account they would genuinely take you serious

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So this ***** Ranmaru spends like a good hour or so with me trying to come up with a hydra name. We finally end up settling on his suggestion of "Elementality". He picks out an avatar and everything. So he asks zv to make the hydra but zv tells him the name's already taken. Month later we're tryna come up with a new name and he suddenly realizes that HE was the one that made the taken Elementality account. A year before. A hydra with Acrostic. With the exact same avatar we were going to use. smfh.
This is so hilariously Ran.

As for the other discussion, it seems like Gorf is more uncomfortable with PDA's than he is with the fact that it's a man. At least, that's the impression I get from him saying he wouldn't want to see it if it was a straight couple, either.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
nah the kiss is funny and cute. its not like they're waay macking on one another or owt

if there is another version where they start going at it then that's probably pervy from the espn guys

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Three of those people are well dressed. One is not.
**** me mang you win the thread, you win the ****ing thread

edit:

on reflection, after much laughing, I don't know whether you intended this to be ambiguous, but as it is, I find it ****ing hilarious

Last edited:

Handorin

Smash Hero
Haha, well, I just felt his examples were slightly off. He was asking if two random men should be as respected as two white, male, hetero celebs. I think regardless of your sexuel orientation, you will find the first picture revolting. The second random guy, while ridiculous, would garner the same amount of respect as the other two and certainly more than the first guy. Although, the celebrities are more likely to be respected (read: followed, supported) for no particular reason other than they are famous. That's beside the point though.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
The second picture (first white male celeb [Neil Patrick Harris]) is most certainly a homosexual.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Who said that a straight couple doing that would be okay? I think there are certain things that shouldn't be publicized to the point of showing it on god damn national television, and affection with your significant other for affection's sake is one of them. It's not a story with a straight couple because it's so common, yes, and I wouldn't have had something to say about it cuz if it was a straight couple it wouldn't have had a deal made of it at all. I know this and you know this. If they had showed the unedited ACTUAL reaction to being drafted where he repeatedly kisses his boyfriend after hearing that the Rams picked em, then it would have just been another reaction video. I ACTUALLY feel that way because objectivity is a thing. The cake thing is ESPN saying "we're so okay with a gay couple being in the NFL that we're gonna film em eating cake off of each other!" When is it too much Circus? When ESPN follows them to the bedroom and films them humping each other? I'm sure the whole world knows he got laid that night. No need to see it on camera.
The issue to take here then is with ESPN, not the couple. If your point is that ESPN, like literally any other broadcast company, likes spectacle because it always boosts ratings, then I don't have much to add to that. I'm sure they do. But it's not this guy's fault that ESPN decided they wanted cameras on the event. The fact of the matter is that, if they had been a straight couple, they still might have been shown on TV, but there would be no blowback from it. The fact that it's two men kissing is the main factor in why this has become such a big deal, not just from you but from loads of people.

I want to make this point clear: The reason this has become a big deal—the reason it is seen as a spectacle—is not because of the gay couple; it is because of straight people getting needlessly outraged over a harmless kiss. If you and every other person who's moderately grossed out by the video just moved on with your life instead of posting and tweeting and complaining about it, it wouldn't be a thing. Gay people don't kiss each other just to make straight people upset. This goes back to my "so used to being catered to that you think everything is for you" point. If you see a video that you don't like, it's not enough to just ignore it. You've got to say something about it. Because it offended you, personally. It attacked your eyes and forced you to see something you didn't want to see OH THE INSIDIOUSNESS OF ESPN FOR SHAME.

This is really ****in bold of you to say Circus. Is your stance on the topic really "**** you straighties we're gay and we're here to stay so DEAL WITH IT," cuz that's how it's coming across, like the gay Black Panther (without the killin and stuff). The whole argument of "stop shoving the gay thing down our throats" is a whole other avenue than this one, and one that really just seems like gay people trying to stoop down to the ****ty straight people's levels. This is a matter of me not liking the fact that people are going to fake being okay with that video being nationally broadcasted because it's a gay couple, when in reality, if I saw that **** in my living room, whatever type of couple it may be, I'd tell the couple to cut it out. Now sure, that part is just me, except it's not just me it's everyone watching the draft.

If you think the negative response to the draft is a bunch of people being grossed out by seeing cake on a face, you're out of gorfin' gourd. You don't like the way they kissed? Fine, you don't have to, you can just click out of the video and go about your day. You think it looks staged? Maybe it was! That makes it no different than basically any other captured reaction on TV, and shouldn't be worth your time. Plenty of people will do plenty of shmaltzy things for a camera. The point is that the reason this event is getting active negative attention, is because it's a gay couple. Period. And that's ****ed up. The only reason you felt this video was noteworthy was because it was a gay couple. The same reason you posted that boy ***** video.

Now, let me ask you on the "stop shoving the gay thing down our throats" topic.
Oh, this ought to be good.

Do you think this guy:

Conversely, do you think this guy:

Okay, now I'm pretty convinced you're trolling me.

Gorf, the long and short of it is this: If you think Neil Patrick Harris is a "respectable gay," I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably because he passes pretty well in the straight world. He doesn't "flaunt it." His gayness isn't really something you ever see, it's just like a miscellaneous fact about him. It is bad that this is the way you have to be in order to be respected. That straight people judge gay people as "good ones" and "bad ones." Not even in terms of ethics or values, but because of how we dress or speak, or whether or not we dare to kiss our significant others in a place where straight eyes might see it! If your definition of a respectable gay person is one who basically looks, walks and talks like a stereotypical straight person and never expresses his or her sexuality in any tangible way just to make sure you never even accidentally need to recognize it, then the problem is with you and no one else.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I can't tell if this is the worst or best timing for a post like that.

On the one hand, I love seeing you trying to bring back some levity to the thread as only you can, Nabe.

On the other, Righteously Indignant Circus has his head in his hands, because this is a fine example of the double standard I'm talking about. Gay implications are great for jokes, but real discussion that cuts to the heart of some actual cultural issues is apparently so uncomfortable that the knee-jerk reaction is to just charge past it instead of resolving it. Stuff's great for a lark, but if anybody starts talking about the problems, eh, we have the luxury of just switching topics rather than confronting it.

And yes, I'm well aware of what a ****ing bummer I am. I wish I didn't have to be, but this is important.

Top Bottom