• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I can't wait for the awkward 3-4 months of running tournaments on the 3DS.

That **** is going to be interesting for me.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Florida barely has a scene. CEO shed us some to a lot of light, but it won't be enough if it's just going to be once. I really hope gamestop does another event like smash sundays.
Rofl, I routinely pull 9-15 people from Florida for monthlies in AL.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So I was reading and happened upon this ad about '10 most cheating celebs' and misread it as 'ghebs'

and I was like

"Yep, Ghebbers gonna gheb"

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
No one even tells me about this.

I might even be looking at the wrong place.
North Florida is like 6 hours away from the rest of the scene. We have a melee player up here who would be on FL's PR pretty high if it wasn't for the fact that there is basically no lateral results to judge him against the rest of them.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Michigan has a pretty decent sized scene, but it's all in Ann Arbor. Only about an hour away from me (on a good day), but it's still such a ****ty drive there. Gotta go past downtown Detroit, then past the airport, then when you get there you're in Ann Arbor. Basically what I'm saying is that if there's a sporting event going on, whether it be a Detroit team or UofM team, traffic is ****ed. In areas that are not so great. Sometimes, the traffic is ****ed for no reason.

Last edited:

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Florida has a huge scene for melee Vinyl, you just gotta know where to look (facebook). Like, there's almost always someone who's willing to smash if you ask around.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/138478079554384/633252936743560/?notif_t=group_activity

For Brawl things are a bit more shattered. Tampa and SFL are active, but elsewhere not so much. Since you're CFL you might have a bit harder of a time with this.

North Florida is like 6 hours away from the rest of the scene. We have a melee player up here who would be on FL's PR pretty high if it wasn't for the fact that there is basically no lateral results to judge him against the rest of them.
I'm curious. What's his name? I might know him.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
mixed on Zamus' new design.

In general, it's pretty cool. But with all the gadgets she has now, it's becoming difficult to understand why she even wears the power suit at all. High heels also seems pretty out of character.
favourite recent theory I heard

that bayonetta was at one point talked about, but it fell through and sakurai was still all hotted up in fetish mode which spawned the heels on ZSS

rid****ulous

Smash Journeyman
ZSS was already sort of wearing heels... though they were closer to platforms than they were stilettos. I really just buy the "hey, what if she had a cool gadget in her shoe!" before I buy "what if we gave her heels so I can beat off during game production?!"

Like, Maxwell Smart has gadgets in his shoes. It's not a huge leap from "shoe gadget" to "high heel gadget" when the character is clearly modeled after how japanese people view american women. Tall blondes with big ****, and high heels.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Florida has a huge scene for melee Vinyl, you just gotta know where to look (facebook). Like, there's almost always someone who's willing to smash if you ask around.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/138478079554384/633252936743560/?notif_t=group_activity

For Brawl things are a bit more shattered. Tampa and SFL are active, but elsewhere not so much. Since you're CFL you might have a bit harder of a time with this.

I'm curious. What's his name? I might know him.
Rice. Falco player.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Are you so callous to insinuate that a professional football player cannot also play Melee? Who are you to dictate his interests?

Such acrostikary thinking.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I don't mind Zamus' shoes. They are not stilletto level, more just a heel. Could have been more of a combat boot, but heel works as an aesthetic piece.

Another thing I loved is that the character I was hoping to main/play(Wii Fit Trainer) has 1.) A male counterpart and 2.) That center of focus looks like a lot of fun and powerful.

I also get the feeling Little Mac is gonna tad broken as ****. (unless he's super light-weighted)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Iwata's reported annual income is actually only $770,000. And for a CEO that's remarkably low. Withholding the fact that the man supposedly is taking a 50% paycut for poor stock performance. (His bonus is $2 million, but even then contextually that's not a lot.)

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Well Nintendo is flailing at the current time and in the current console war. Last I checked their stock went down $40 so Iwata making that low of an income for a CEO isn't too shocking. I am sad at this fact, but all Nintendo has at the moment that is keeping them afloat is their tight grip on the handheld console.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Well Nintendo is flailing at the current time and in the current console war. Last I checked their stock went down $40 so Iwata making that low of an income for a CEO isn't too shocking. I am sad at this fact, but all Nintendo has at the moment that is keeping them afloat is their tight grip on the handheld console.
They went through a $1.1 billion share buyback in February which is good from an intellectual property point of view since there is less immediate pressure on them to release products with play for pay incentives. Or make that features, since console developers have less of a tendency to push microtransaction fees into their own games compared to outside game developers.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
ZSS was already sort of wearing heels... though they were closer to platforms than they were stilettos. I really just buy the "hey, what if she had a cool gadget in her shoe!" before I buy "what if we gave her heels so I can beat off during game production?!"

Like, Maxwell Smart has gadgets in his shoes. It's not a huge leap from "shoe gadget" to "high heel gadget" when the character is clearly modeled after how japanese people view american women. Tall blondes with big ****, and high heels.
But therein lies the rub. Maxwell Smart has rockets that fit in his shoes. They don't need to be heels that high to be functional, so why would they be? Have you ever tried running in heels? It's hard! It's why Peach's fastest ground speed is a brisk skip, and I don't think her heels are even as high as the ones on Samus. It's just not practical, and Samus, from my admittedly distant point of view of her character, always seemed like she would value practicality quite a bit.

And on this specific point:
...when the character is clearly modeled after how japanese people view american women. Tall blondes with big ****, and high heels.
This doesn't excuse anything. In fact, it is the problem itself. Samus has been appearing as a lean blonde in a bikini pretty much since she was first seen without her suit, but that doesn't mean she should. She's one of very few female characters in games, especially for Nintendo, who bucks feminine stereotypes at all. It would be nice if we didn't "fix" that.

I don't mind Zamus' shoes. They are not stilletto level, more just a heel. Could have been more of a combat boot, but heel works as an aesthetic piece.
Really? She's on her tiptoes. The heel looks like it's gotta be at least four inches to me. I wasn't kidding when I said I think they're even bigger than Peach's.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
mag said:
Here's the exact quote taken from a feature in the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine: "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - they've got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business."
I wonder where exactly Nintendo is reinvesting though and how liquid the capital is currently. The article assumes that the current value of Nintendo's investments will hold, however that's completely dependent on just how good their financial reinvestment arm is and will be. Also it states that Nintendo can sell it's intellectual property, however which patents will any of its competitors be interested in purchasing from it? Microsoft and Sony both have their own forms of motion detection which actually were likely put into place to set a precedent that they had competing technologies so they wouldn't be dependent on purchasing patent litigation from Nintendo in case they were cornered market wise to push products in that direction. I highly doubt that they'd be interested in buying any of the particular hardware concepts introduced by the Wii U and the Nintendo exclusive game library is also another area that it's hard to find them interested in really buying for the price that Nintendo will likely place on it.

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Peach mainly wears a pump. (Melee peach was like a heel iirc) Stiletto is literally it's own class of heel that is different then others. For Stiletto, think of Strippers*cough*entertainers*cough* or Prostitutes. Being in modeling/fashion retail really made me learn the differences or be at the mercy of death glares.

@ #HBC | ZoZo #HBC | ZoZo
@ #HBC | Acrostic #HBC | Acrostic

Holy cow, did not know that. Big numbers. So Nintendo is safer then they seem?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Peach mainly wears a pump. (Melee peach was like a heel iirc) Stiletto is literally it's own class of heel that is different then others. For Stiletto, think of Strippers*cough*entertainers*cough* or Prostitutes. Being in modeling/fashion retail really made me learn the differences or be at the mercy of death glares
Kay, but I was never really concerned with whether or not it technically qualifies as a stiletto. I'm saying the heel is just irrationally tall for its purpose. It's not the kind of thing a character whose shtick is "I took off my heavy armor so that I could move more freely" would go for.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Totally agree. Combat boot would have been more fitting for her character.

I'm just saying it's not something I am gonna cry over. I think they did it to add just a little bit more sex appeal to her. She is already in a skin tight body suit, add some heels and with that ponytail.

Yup, I'm okay with this.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Overall, it's a pretty small thing. I just don't think every female character needs more sex appeal. It puts an excessive amount of emphasis on "female" and reduces the "character."

At least Sheik is still butchin' it up a little.

rid****ulous

Smash Journeyman
But therein lies the rub. Maxwell Smart has rockets that fit in his shoes. They don't need to be heels that high to be functional, so why would they be? Have you ever tried running in heels? It's hard! It's why Peach's fastest ground speed is a brisk skip, and I don't think her heels are even as high as the ones on Samus. It's just not practical, and Samus, from my admittedly distant point of view of her character, always seemed like she would value practicality quite a bit.

And on this specific point:

This doesn't excuse anything. In fact, it is the problem itself. Samus has been appearing as a lean blonde in a bikini pretty much since she was first seen without her suit, but that doesn't mean she should. She's one of very few female characters in games, especially for Nintendo, who bucks feminine stereotypes at all. It would be nice if we didn't "fix" that.

Really? She's on her tiptoes. The heel looks like it's gotta be at least four inches to me. I wasn't kidding when I said I think they're even bigger than Peach's.
Maxwell Smart had rockets in his shoes? Nah man, you're close though. He had a phone in his shoe. I can see how you'd make that mistake. Rocket, phone, po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe. Back in those days, having a wireless phone as small as the ones we have was crazy talk. Super spies carried ones that were the size of shoes, and that was super impressive.

and yea, it's kind of unfortunate that Samus is basically a sex toy instead of a strong female role model, but what did you expect from Japan? It was an accident that she was ever perceived as strong and independent in the first place. Once Other M came along and gave her lines, and a backstory, we found out what the Japanese developers really had in mind. They made her a silent protagonist not because she's a strong silent type, but because women are supposed to be quiet. She's independent not because she's super capable and don't need no man, but because her man died, and isn't around to give her orders anymore. We all wanna pretend that **** doesn't exist, because it's terrible, but it does. Japan sucks dude, they just wanted to **** her. I mean, we wanted to **** her too, but at least we respected her. It's kind of a testament to how well the rest of the series was made when we could all look at the same thing, and think "Now that's a woman" for totally different reasons.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Overall, it's a pretty small thing. I just don't think every female character needs more sex appeal. It puts an excessive amount of emphasis on "female" and reduces the "character."

At least Sheik is still butchin' it up a little.
Was about the say "Sheik doesn't have the stereotypical sex appeal" and then that last sentence. I mean Peach is still Peach. Zelda isn't really the sterotypical "female/girl" she has more of a royal air to her then Peach. Zamus is just badass in a different sense then like Sheik.

Edit:

Just finished my papers for the semester besides fun ones. My fingers are in pain from writing so much oh my god.

Last edited:

Ashemu

Smash Ace
yea we need some real female characters, when ar they going to announce bubbles from clu clu land :/

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
That's because Sheik is literally just Zelda pretending to be a man. It wouldn't make much sense for her to be all feminine and sexy and **** when she's disguising herself as a man.

But Samus, without her armor? Yea, they're gonna sex her up a bit, they always have.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Maxwell Smart had rockets in his shoes? Nah man, you're close though. He had a phone in his shoe. I can see how you'd make that mistake. Rocket, phone, po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe. Back in those days, having a wireless phone as small as the ones we have was crazy talk. Super spies carried ones that were the size of shoes, and that was super impressive.
The actual heart of the point: If anyone, anywhere in the world, tries to design rocket boots for a man, they end up being just that—rocket boots. Not rocket heels. Because "adding sex appeal" is not on the agenda for those characters.

and yea, it's kind of unfortunate that Samus is basically a sex toy instead of a strong female role model, but what did you expect from Japan? It was an accident that she was ever perceived as strong and independent in the first place. Once Other M came along and gave her lines, and a backstory, we found out what the Japanese developers really had in mind. They made her a silent protagonist not because she's a strong silent type, but because women are supposed to be quiet. She's independent not because she's super capable and don't need no man, but because her man died, and isn't around to give her orders anymore. We all wanna pretend that **** doesn't exist, because it's terrible, but it does. Japan sucks dude, they just wanted to **** her. I mean, we wanted to **** her too, but at least we respected her. It's kind of a testament to how well the rest of the series was made when we could all look at the same thing, and think "Now that's a woman" for totally different reasons.
Two things here.

1) I flat out don't accept the "well what did you expect from X" argument, because it's not about what I expect. It's about what we should all demand. If something happens that we don't approve of, the way to respond to that isn't "well, that's just the way it is." It doesn't have to be the way it is.

2) While I get what you're trying to say, reducing the point to "Japan sucks" is misleading. It's not like Japan is sexist and the rest of the world isn't. Pinning it on Japan as a culture in specific, rather than the global reach of the male gaze, leaves a lot of people in the west off the hook and allows them to remain in the delusional world in which their **** doesn't stink.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Cuz Nintendo has such a long and storied history of listening to it's American consumer base? Especially ones in the competitive community.

You can get riled up if you want to, but you're basically preaching to the choir here. I agree, it's super disappointing, but it's not any different from what I expected. I'm surprised they haven't seized any opportunities to put a 3D Samus in the bikini she had at the end of Super Metroid. Maybe an alt costume is coming, or a trophy.

Zamus isn't exactly my favorite character anywho. Yoshi is announced, and he's all... standing upright and ****. That's good, right?

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
look man this is cool and i get what y'all are saying but i just like video games but the rocket heels look badass and make me want to play as zamus

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
You have to admit, if they're gonna give her heels, it's pretty cool that they gave her Jet heels. They're about as practical as heels come. They could've just put her in high heels, and been all, "****ing wear these and like 'em!" and not helped her out at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom